Replica of Neytiri's choker

Started by Theiran, January 16, 2010, 05:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eaite Randjam

That's some nice handywork there Txep!

General question: what's the difference between a necklace and a choker?

Way Letxep

Well i guess a necklace would be loser fitting, where as the choker is a tight fit around the neck. So think of it like the difference between baggy clothes and spandex i guess. Im not expert, i just figured that was close enough. What I've noticed after having worn this for a couple days, the hemp got a lot softer, but it also stretched so its more like a loose choker, which is fine with me. I am a guy wearing a tutee necklace. In my oppinion it isnt all that bad.....although a guy wearing a choker turns heads a bit....oh well...idc
Fayvrrtep Fitsenge lu kxanì, nga skxawng!

Eaite Randjam

Irayo!  It makes sense!  Karma cookie for you!

I never wear jewelery of any kind usually, but when I get the money to buy some supplies at the craft store I'm gonna make a choker to wear.

Is there a way to make sure the choker isn't too loose or actually chokes you?  XD

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Quote from: Txep Way on February 24, 2010, 09:04:53 PM
I made one similar to this one
what I'm wondering is how did you get that braid? It looks so much better than the simple half square knot that i used.

Very nice work. (cookie for you, for sharing--naturally) I like the simplicity (and ease of use) of the loop/bead catch. The creativity of people here really astounds me. If we ever form an Av con (I am thinking around the time A2 comes out) we will have some "sharp dressed Na'vis." In the meantime, I hope everyone will continue to work on these things, and expand on their designs. I want to talk to some of you on the podcast about your efforts. So KEEP NOTES ;)
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

Atanhì

Ma Txep Way: If I'm not mistaken, Arjuna's choker is done in a half-lark's-head pattern instead of a half-square. That's why it looks a bit "rounder" and you see only one spiral instead of two. Both designs are beautiful, but I think, if you're going for a screen-accurate replica of Neytiri's choker, the half-lark's-head is what's used there.

Way Letxep

yea that is the type of knot i was looking for on the internet, but i didnt know the name.

You wouldn't happen to know where a tutorial is for this would you?

Irayo.

Atanhì

Half-lark's-head knots are often called half-hitch knots, so you may know them by that name. Here's a tutorial on doing vertical lark's heads: http://www.free-macrame-patterns.com/vertical-larks-head.html. To get the spiral pattern, instead of starting  by crossing alternately under and over your holding string to make the loops, choose one way or the other (all under or all over).

Way Letxep

OK So im trying to now make Jakes necklace. Idk if you've looked at it much, but there is a blue spiral like knot. Do you have any idea how to do this one? I would have that necklace finished if it wasn't for that one part of it. Looking at the Noble collection, it looks like 2 cords that are circularly wraped...almost like a figure eight on 2 strings. Any help? I can't explain it very well.

Atanhì

I'm having trouble finding images of Jake's choker in a high-enough resolution to determine anything about which knots were used. If you could point me at a good image, I might be able to help.

Kaltxì Palulukan!

2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Wait, they made physical ones? I thought it was all computers...It looks like they made them full Na'vi size too!
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Quote from: Tìng Eywatikìte'e on February 28, 2010, 12:49:06 AM
Wait, they made physical ones? I thought it was all computers...It looks like they made them full Na'vi size too!

I need to get up there and take better pictures. maybe I can get one of my so cal (member) buddies to do that before they are gone.

Sanmäkx

Quote from: Tìng Eywatikìte'e on February 28, 2010, 12:49:06 AM

Many pieces of Na'vi clothing and props were created in the real-world so that the computer artists at Weta Digital had something tangible to refer to when reproducing their appearance and behavior.

Atanhì

For the gold-and-blue choker with the small beads, I think what we're seeing is not knots at all, but a round braid- not sure how many strands, but probably somewhere in the neighborhood of six. I can't be certain about that, because I'm continuing to have difficulty finding images with a high enough resolution.

Way Letxep

Well this is what i'm thinking may work. I have this small shell like beads. I'm not sure if it was stone used, or what. On the Noble collection it deffinetly doesn't look like like cord, or anything similar. Even in the picture that I've been using for reference, granted it is a computer image. Here is the image of the string of beads.

And im using this image in this link for the reference.
http://www.hdwallpapers.in/walls/avatar_high_resolution-wide.jpg

Atanhì

From looking at your image there, I'm thinking the blue strand in back of the gold-ish one, on the left side, is either larks-head knots with relatively fine working cord and a thick bundle of holding cords, or, like you suggest, a string of thin-ish, heishi-cut beads. Whatever choice you go with, please post a picture when you've made it. I can't wait to see.

Ash

Ma Atanhì - thanks for the link and the explanation above - a few minutes ago I had no idea of this stuff at all (and only a desire to give making that beautiful kind of natural jewellery a try) and now my trial-set(just two kinds of thick packing cord, so nothing to make pictures of^^)  is showing the first turn of the spiral  :)

Way Letxep

Well I made a new topic on my newly "finished" choker if you care to check.

Edit

heres the link
http://forum.learnnavi.org/cosplay-costuming/jake-sully-choker/

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Quote from: Txep Way on March 01, 2010, 11:56:37 PM
Well I made a new topic on my newly "finished" choker if you care to check.

Please edit that post to include the link to that thread. Irayo!

Way Letxep