Sänumeyu's Project Thread

Started by Mako, January 23, 2010, 10:39:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mako

Hey guys! So I've been working on some stuff, and I'll be posting pictures and guides here on how I do it. You can always ask me questions or suggest new projects for me to work on, and I will be happy to oblige!

Project 1: Hemp Armband/Choker

Simplest thing I've done in a long time. So here's the picture of a finished armband:

And here's how I did it:

Wrap the strand of hemp 6 times around your bicep to give yourself a good amount of room and cut it. Then wrap another strand around your bicep 12 times and cut it. Find the middles of both the 6 and 12 strand and match them up. Tie a knot in the strands leaving a loophole large enough for another knot to fit through, but not too large. Then do what's called an figure 4 loop.

Quote from: ehow.com"To knot the hemp, pull the right outer strand to a 45-degree angle away from the middle strands. With your left hand, guide the right outer strand over the two middle strands, then under the left outer strand, creating a figure four. Holding the figure four in place, weave the left outer strand under the two middle strands and up through the middle of the figure four. Tighten by pulling on both outer strands."

When you reach the end, knot all 4 strands (I did it twice to make the knot a little larger) and trim the excess string.

For this choker, I actually doubled the amount of string I used to make it thicker. Instead of using 1 short and 1 long strand, you should use 2 short and 2 long strands. Otherwise, same process. I also used a fastener bead at the back that you just thread through the loop you make when you start.

Project 2: Bamboo Flute

Still in progress here, but I have one note working! There's something wrong with the way I'm doing it, I'm sure, so I'm going to research some more.

Remember, though I have some more ideas, I would love to hear from you all. Please post comments and suggestions for new projects below. Irayo!

Ngayä tsmukan,

Sänumeyu

Nume fpi sänume

awesome armband. I'll be picking up some hemp and giving it a try as soon as I finish my goggles.

Mako

The choker is going to be a little more fun. I've got a couple of necklaces that I think I would be willing to sacrifice to make a choker. Anyways, the pictures for my flute are up now, but no tutorial as it isn't working atm. I really want to get some more suggestions.

Kaltxì Palulukan!

This is a really good thread. Please keep updating us. I am commenting so I am now in the loop. :-)
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

Suteyä Hawnuyu

Beautiful craftsmanship; that flute is very cool. I hope that all of the notes work when you are finished. If they don't, at least it looks nifty.
Suteyä Hawnuyu te Gay'tä Muiä-Eyaye'ite

Mako

They still don't. I just finished my choker, though. I'll upload pictures in a few minutes.

Suteyä Hawnuyu

Quote from: Sänumeyu on January 31, 2010, 11:46:51 AM
They still don't. I just finished my choker, though. I'll upload pictures in a few minutes.

Can't wait to see!
Suteyä Hawnuyu te Gay'tä Muiä-Eyaye'ite

Mako

Uploading atm. Does anyone have any suggestions for other items?

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Quote from: Sänumeyu on January 31, 2010, 12:43:25 PM

Armbands and legbands (Neytiri wears both I believe).
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

Robert Nantangä Tirea

Quote from: Kaltxì Palulukan! on January 31, 2010, 01:31:02 PM
Quote from: Sänumeyu on January 31, 2010, 12:43:25 PM

Armbands and legbands (Neytiri wears both I believe).

armbands like wrist guards, the kind you wear when you are doing archery (a lof of the Na'vi wore them)

How does a man choose between fresh and fly?

COSPLAY LIKE A BOSS!

NotW Celebrity #11!

Rain

I used to work at the local Hobby Lobby (Indiana) and we had stuff like memory wire, soldering wire, LOTS of jewelry making supplies, TONS of glass beads, polymerbead stuff, leather tooling, all the little doodads for attaching things and making them work, God knows what. For the six or so months I worked there, I met many ladies who make jewelry and I learned a lot about the process. Therefore, my suggestion would be to hang out in those places and make some friends. Also, I have been to several Native American expos and ethnic expositions as well. If you ask nicely, some people are more than willing to show you how to make some things. One last thing: CrazyCrow online. They have hairpipes, czech glass beads, soapstone (for making pipes, arrowheads, etc.), cedar wood, bone, chunks of turquoise and other kinds of rock, and more feather varieties than I even knew existed. Maybe I don't have ideas for projects per say, but I do have a pretty good idea of where to get stuff.
"If there are self-made purgatories, then we shall all have to live in them."
-Spock, "This Side of Paradise"

"The greatest danger about Pandora is that you may come to love it too much." ~Grace Augustine

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Quote from: Rain on February 01, 2010, 09:49:15 PM
... but I do have a pretty good idea of where to get stuff.

mmmmmmmmmmcookie!