Second skin - a lasting alternative to body paint

Started by Nìota, February 14, 2010, 10:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nìota

So I quickly realized that I am going to want to dress as Na'vi more than just once or twice in the near and distant future, and trying to paint the same subtle stripes and (not exactly)bioluminescent freckles between my shoulder blades every time is just not going to cut it.

Lucky me, I've had experience in this area and quickly adapted a solution from one of my previous fandoms (CATS: The Musical. Yeah, go ahead, giggle.): The dance unitard.

Unitards are a much more covering version of the familiar leotard. They come in various cuts, colours, and fabrics, all able to be decorated and dyed, some of which can be very useful in creating a very detailed and lasting Na'vi skin.

My go-to company is Bal Togs, usually through www.adadance.com,and for this project I'm looking closely at the scoop-neck long sleeved unitard in nylon-lycra blend (though I'm still not sure. Human skin is matte, so I considered the cotton-lycra blend first, but after reading the survival guide and seeing the Na'vi described as iridescent I began my lean toward nylon-lycra. I'll get back to you all on my decision.) EDIT: Tìng Eywatikìte'e has found an AMAZING unitard with fewer seams and an awesome array of colours! http://www.welovecolors.com/Shop/LongSleeveUnitard.htm#

There are unitards with built in hands and feet and a higher neckline which would mean even less work and make-up, but these have a zipper back which I want to avoid. Due to the Na'vi affinity for beaded, braided and feathered necklaces and wristbands, I plan to hide the transitions at the neckline and cuffs with strategically placed jewelry.

As for creating the colours of the Na'vi skin itself, the company FabricMate makes a line of markers which will permanently dye the material without any need to apply heat (a critical and irritating step with many other dyes). I recommend applying the design with a person inside the unitard (either the intended wearer or someone of approximate size) so that the markings are all the correct size and in the correct place when the unitard is worn. If coloured flat the markings will stretch.

As a finishing touch, glow-in-the-dark fabric paint can be used to dot on the bioluminescent markings in exactly the pattern you wish, creating your unique Na'vi "fingerprint".

I especially recommend this option to those of you who plan to dress as Na'vi for Halloween in areas that get cold around Oct. 31st. This option allows you to wear something insulating beneath, like thermal underwear, so you can still achieve that near-naked look with out freezing your tail off!

I also heartily welcome suggestions from other costumers on how to improve on these methods, as I am hardly an expert, just a continuously learning amateur. <3

(A giant kitty of a different colour.)

Eywa ngahu,
Nìota
Eywa-l oe-yä san menari sìk hawn<ei>u.

Eaite Randjam

How much would you estimate a project would cost in terms of money and time?  It's certainly an intriguing idea to add to all the other great costume ideas here.

Irayo!

Nìota

The unitard shouldn't cost more than 45-50 USD, plus shipping and handling. The markers are around 2-3 USD each, and you'll probably need quite a few of them and in several shades (the material will eat up the ink).  Glow-in-the-dark paint should only be a couple bucks for a little craft store bottle.

Since the unitard is already constructed and shouldn't need alteration except for the colouring, you'll probably be done in a couple of days.  I don't know an exact hour estimate, but for the sake of your wrist I don't recommend trying to do it ALL in one sitting, the night before your event.

Rain

OMGosh this is exactly what I was looking for! +100 Karma kookies for you ma eylan!
"If there are self-made purgatories, then we shall all have to live in them."
-Spock, "This Side of Paradise"

"The greatest danger about Pandora is that you may come to love it too much." ~Grace Augustine

pbhead

If your na'vi costume is as good as that cats costume... wowzies.

I simply can not wait to see the finished product.

Ash

Hey there,

I have been juggling different approaches to this as well, while getting slapped on my head by my perfectionism several times. Body paint would look best I think, but would be a real effort to apply every time plus you'd need at least one other(patient, talented) person. A foam latex suit was suggested as the next best option, but it would be very hard to get right and as this stuff has to be baked it also would be really expensive. So some kind of bodysuit/skinsuit seems the best affordable solution to me as well.

A "scoop neck" would mean a neckhole wide enough to enter the suit through, eliminating the need for a zipper, right?(English is not my first language, so sometimes I am struggling with certain specific terms).
This would leave two other issues with unitards:
-Material: I would go for nylon-lycra I think. The skin of the Na'vi (as seen in some high-res shots) often seems to be glistening as if slightly wet (maybe from air moisture or some kind of oil produced by the skin?) and sometimes it seems to have an almost rubbery quality. (I am torn here... there are some shots where the Na'vi skin seems to be more matte, sometimes at the same time glistening in other places. It might come down to a very small margin, but I still think that a slight sheen might fit the bill a bit more)So if you can not apply a slight sheen with the colors I would go with a slightly reflecting material as well.
-Seams. My biggest issue at the moment. Seams always say "artificial". While browsing the web I found several sites selling unitards with a "seamless"-option, however that only did cover the sides. So there usually was the inner-leg-seam as well as the shoulder seams or others. I think the former would not be that obvious, but anyway, with the generous amount of clothing the Na'vi usually are wearing, it is hard to cover/conceal seams. If there is a company selling unitards without zipper AND without any visible seam or only the inner-leg-seam I think it would be a big step forward.

I'd really like to hear your thoughts and ideas on this  :)

Regards,

Ash

Nìota

The seams ARE a problem which I don't think can be completely eliminated. Basically it's trading one negative (Impermanence) for another (seams), but I'm glad to hear you've found a unitard with fewer! What brand is it?

Eaite Randjam

The seams may be an issue when you are being closely examined, but from about >5 meters away they shouldn't be too noticeable, should they?

The difference in color between the unitard dye and the make-up you wear on your face, hands and feet will be the most noticeable from near and far.  If you get the makeup wrong you'll end up looking like a Na'vi with a farmer's tan!   :D  One way to avoid this may be creating the mixture of makeup first and match the unitard dye to match that.  You'll still have to carefully match and blend your makeup, but this method would give you a good starting point when applying makeup and you won't have to adjust the shade as much.

Col Quaritch

Throw in my two cents here. I have been doing cosplay or costuming for extreamly long time one thing I learned is 1st who you making this costume for, your self or the costume-nazies that will tear everylittle nit-pic they find. To general populace a very well done comestume of a movie character the public wont see any flaws and wont say ooo its a body covering for the skin. Trust me got a $2000+ Vader costume turns heads like crazy people know who that character is in a second but its not up to snuff for the starwars-costume nazies that everything has to be just SO! I'm making that costume for me was the first bad guy in a movie I thought was cool and had a cool costume its been a labor of love on that for over 8 year since starting making it. So thats my imput. I think this is by far the best bet espically for colder climites and those of us who have a hard enough time in public in bathing suits. I to look forward to seeing how this comes out.

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Great idea, just doing a quick search I found this site http://www.welovecolors.com/Shop/LongSleeveUnitard.htm#

To me the medium blue seems to be the closest...It may be to shiny for my liking though, I prefer matte, but it could work.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Nìota

Thank you, Atanawintu! I agree. When it comes right down to it, no one can add 1+ meters to their height, so NO Na'vi costume is ever going to be perfect.  My body-suit suggestion isn't for everyone, as there are definitely people that can and will pull off bodypaint just fine.  It's an alternative for people who want other options, like myself.

Eaite Ranjam, you're definitely right about the careful colour matching! I'll be paying close attention to this anyway, but it's a great pointer!  Another addition: no matter which neckline one chooses, he or she should make sure to extend the makeup slightly past where the neckline hits, and set that makeup well so that it won't rub off quickly!

Quote from: Tìng Eywatikìte'e on February 15, 2010, 09:17:33 PM
Great idea, just doing a quick search I found this site http://www.welovecolors.com/Shop/LongSleeveUnitard.htm#

To me the medium blue seems to be the closest...It may be to shiny for my liking though, I prefer matte, but it could work.

This is an AMAZING find! Thank you!  I might go with a lighter shade myself, that way I can build texture with the markings that I'll draw in, but I'll have to take a long look and make my decision, personally. Thank you for sharing!!!  (B'ah, silly edit/quote buttons...  :-[)

Eaite Randjam

Quote from: Nìota on February 15, 2010, 09:24:46 PM
Eaite Ranjam, you're definitely right about the careful colour matching! I'll be paying close attention to this anyway, but it's a great pointer!  Another addition: no matter which neckline one chooses, he or she should make sure to extend the makeup slightly past where the neckline hits, and set that makeup well so that it won't rub off quickly!
Thanks.  My experience in amateur theater and being a fan of major production companies such as Cirque du Soliel teaches me little tips like what I offered and your tip as well. 

Quote from: Tìng Eywatikìte'e on February 15, 2010, 09:17:33 PM

This is an AMAZING find! Thank you!  I might go with a lighter shade myself, that way I can build texture with the markings that I'll draw in, but I'll have to take a long look and make my decision, personally. Thank you for sharing!!!  (B'ah, silly edit/quote buttons...  :-[)
I agree with choosing a lighter color.  I'd be eyeballing sky blue or aqua blue as a base, and then add darker colors.  I don't think I'd want a unitard with feet though because if I were going for the Na'vi look and feel I would rather go barefoot and paint up my feet and if I were going for the RDA Avatar look I'd just wear crew socks and cover up the end of the uni. 

Nìota

I have the same sort of stage makeup experience, Eaite Randjam. :) High school theatre, and a hobby of recreating fantasy makeup from Cirque, CATS, and my favorite fantasy films. :)

I'm still trying to figure out what to do about the feet.  I think I know how I'm going to achieve a 3-fingered hand: tape my pinky just under my ring finger and remove the pinky from a nylon-lycra glove, so that my last two fingers both hide inside the ringfinger glove.  The toes, though...? Taping my second toe to my large toe made it a little difficult to walk...

Eaite Randjam

If I remember correctly, Na'vi have four digits per appendage.  Avatars have five digits (naturally, due to the DNA mixing).

As for the feet, you'll just have to use trial and error for which toes you can "combine".

Nìota

Quote from: Eaite Randjam on February 15, 2010, 11:53:31 PM
If I remember correctly, Na'vi have four digits per appendage.  Avatars have five digits (naturally, due to the DNA mixing).

As for the feet, you'll just have to use trial and error for which toes you can "combine".

Narf, yes, I was thinking about just the "finger" digits and didn't count the thumb.  :-\ My bad.  OTHERWISE it would be easy. I'd just tape my fingers into the Vulcan salute ;) (I can do it with out tape on both hands, but I don't want to keep them that way!)

And yup, this WHOLE costume will be a LOT of trial and error. I am having a hell of a lot of fun learning as I go. :D

Ash

Quote from: Nìota on February 15, 2010, 07:10:56 PM
[...] but I'm glad to hear you've found a unitard with fewer! What brand is it?
I would have to dig up the online shop again (could do this evening) but Tìng already beat me to it - that style is nearly the same one, with seams at the shoulders and inner leg, only difference is the foot-strap. It isn't mentioned if it is with zipper or without, or is it?

For the color - I would not hunt for a fitting base-color, but look for something neutral instead and spray the complete suit, base color and markings - it is more work, but I have better control over the colors(but this is just me going cross-eyed over compromise again  ;D)
If the costume is not aimed to look like a specific Na'vi, the issue with matching the makeup and suit colors mentioned by Eaite could be further diminished by wearing a broad necklace (in a style like this or this one - I think it would fit the Na'vi style of using beads and woven accessories quite good) It also would lessen the contrast of different textures between skin and suit directly side by side(same as the bracers or pearl bracelets do at the wrists).

Atanawintu - very good point. And even if we get everything right, such people will find something to b**** about so in any case it is best to remove them from the equation.
I can definitely say that with this costume I want it to feel "right" for myself first. It is a fun thing for me, but in a way it is also my way of paying respects to such a grand movie and this incredible beauty and characters and ideas given to us. And so there (as I can imagine with your Darth Vader costume) a lot of heartblood will go into this. And that is why I do not want to fall back to just "will do" at any time  :)

For the digits - I think I will go the avatar-route here, five digits. I tried to fix my pinky to the ring finger which worked out all right when having relaxed hands or straight fingers, but as soon as I make a fist or grab something (bow?) it does come out. Also I am usually very active with my hands and I do not want to lose the details at my hands (nails, veins etc) to a glove... so, an Avatar it is.

Nìota

Quote from: Ash on February 16, 2010, 03:46:02 AM

For the digits - I think I will go the avatar-route here, five digits. I tried to fix my pinky to the ring finger which worked out all right when having relaxed hands or straight fingers, but as soon as I make a fist or grab something (bow?) it does come out. Also I am usually very active with my hands and I do not want to lose the details at my hands (nails, veins etc) to a glove... so, an Avatar it is.

Believe you me, those are the kind of subtle textures that I will make sure to include in my outfit! (Veins, etc.) And I need to work out the exact manner of attachment, but I'm going to paint up some realistic looking false nails to adorn the fingertips on the gloves. Details, details, details.  I went around work with my fingers taped and the only problem I had, personally, was remembering I could only space 4 hangers at a time, instead of 5! XD

Robert Nantangä Tirea

I've been through this thread a few times now but just thought I'd say that cat outfit is amazing, if I was a tiger I'd say "mreow" haha.

But seriously, I'm jealous that you live so close to all the hollywood magic. You sound like you really know what you're doing for your costume, I'm stumbling around over here haha major learning curve for the win right?

Good luck and can't wait to see it.

How does a man choose between fresh and fly?

COSPLAY LIKE A BOSS!

NotW Celebrity #11!

Hiyìk

This is just so cool!  :D I can't wait to see how your outfit will turn out, I'm so getting myself one of those unitards  ;D