Changes in global diets linked to deforestation.

Started by Raiden, March 06, 2014, 11:52:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raiden

http://news.mongabay.com/2014/0306-zbriger-commentary-food-homogenization.html

Big surprise...

In case nobody's already made the connection, one of the best ways to help reduce deforestation in far-away places is to avoid eating processed food and fast food.

You'd be surprised, and maybe even horrified at how many ingredients are produced at the cost of wildlife and ecology, while the people living there might see 10-20% of the profits gained from the transaction.
Trouble keeps me running faster

Save the planet from disaster...

archaic

No mention of GM crops I see.

"Diversified, locally-oriented food systems are ultimately the only sustainable option."
I believe this is true, however I am extremely doubtful it will happen, at least not within my lifetime.
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Our worldwide mobility, and refrigeration/preservation capability makes it easier now to source food worldwide. This makes it possible for the population of an area to exceed its carrying capacity in a food sense. To make local food sourcing happen, two things need to happen: 1.) Global mobility reduced or eliminated and 2.) A moderate to substantial reduction in population. There is very strong resistance to both ideas at this time, and for good reason (to people, anyway).

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Raiden

Quote from: archaic on March 13, 2014, 01:11:38 PM
No mention of GM crops I see.

The whole GM crops thing is a really touchy issue right now, and for good reasons.

Unfortunately, the problem is being seriously misrepresented by those who support the abolition of GM crops from our food sources. It would only take a slight shift of focus, and there would be a much stronger case for either the elimination of GM crops from foods or a major change in practices that would make GM crops "okay".

Trouble keeps me running faster

Save the planet from disaster...