Environmental Topics in US Elections of 2016

Started by Coyote, February 10, 2016, 01:47:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coyote

A lot has been said about the US Presidential elections that are heating up now. Most of the talk focuses on income inequality, racial tensions, social systems, and so on. There are plenty of places for people to talk about the stuff like immigration, war, refugees, bankers, and so on. Those issues are already being covered thoroughly in the news and other online venues.

But I'm curious-- what do we know about the various candidates' environmental views? Oddly enough, I haven'y heard it come up much beyond "Macro" level talk: basically a sort of "mumble mumble Global Warming bad yadda yadda" and then on to another subject.

I think in a way it reflects that a lot of the positions are already staked out and everyone knows what to expect, so there's no need to get too wrapped up. Everyone expects the Republican candidates to downplay environmental worries in general; while in some manner the Democratic candidates are at least going to pay some lip-service attention to the issue.

But has anyone heard concrete yes or no policies? Like solar and wind subsidies? Hydroelectric benefits juxtaposed against their effects on river ecosystems? Funding for climate study? Geoengineering? Smart grids? How about nuclear power, whether of or against?

It seems so weird that while climate change and environmental challenges are on everyone's minds these days, I hear very little about it in the political field.

Oh, and, hello again, everyone.  ;D 
In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

VIDEO LOG DAY 8:
Attempted to pee on Viperwolf to test reaction. Please see attached medical file.
WARNING: Attached medical file exceeds gigabyte limit. System failure.

Vawmataw

IMO they are focusing on subjects that could make people vote for them.
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Toliman

Quote from: Vawmataw on February 10, 2016, 04:12:53 PM
IMO they are focusing on subjects that could make people vote for them.

I think that it's true.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

The sad thing is there is very little common sense being used on either side. From what I have read, the environmental view on either side is extreme. The Republicans what what's generally good for business-- drill, mine, cut, burn. These things all benefit people and generally improve the quality of their lives, but have significant medium and long-term environmental consequences. The Democrats want environmental-friendly change, but also seem to want in-your-face environmental change that disturbs peoples' quality of life in a rather uncomfortable way, as well as 'socialize' them. The approach that is needed is somewhere in between the extremes, coupled with a realistically long-term view to improve things for both people and the environment.

If I ever ran for office, I would be that rare conservative who also work for sensible, achievable environmental reform.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Dreamlight

Environmental issues would make me more likely to vote for them.
http://www.reverbnation.com/inkubussukkubus
"Peace on Earth" was all it said.

Vawmataw

If the environment worries you so much, do not wait for the politicians to come up with a good plan. Instead, bring it to them.
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Dreamlight

Yeah.  Or at least ask them to think about it.  Someone has to give a damn.
http://www.reverbnation.com/inkubussukkubus
"Peace on Earth" was all it said.

Jak Dawsiin

trump reversed the decisions on both pipelines stopped by Army Corps of Engineers environmental impact studies, Dakota Access Pipeline in North Dakota and Keystone XL in Nebraska, both of which which were upheld as stopped by the Obama Administration. there are already leaks with the newly opened Dakota Access Pipeline, and the XL reopening is still in litigation and planning phases. there is no good end to this madness, as more oil just means less research and development of renewable energy sources and more dependence on finite fossil fuels and their constant pollution and effects on environment and climate. trump dropped out of the Paris Climate Accords and is pretty much reversing all gains made in environmental protections since the oil cartel Bushes left the Pale House. sad. very sad only.