Little things we can do every day to save our Mother Earth

Started by Eana Unil, April 22, 2015, 09:56:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eana Unil

Well, maybe not save, but at least cut down the pollution, waste, shortly destruction everyone of us causes everyday.
Let's collect ideas and tips in order to do what we can, even if they're so small that they seem to matter nothing at all. And let's try to make these ideas become everyday actions.

Name one, name many, every idea counts.

- Recycle. Everything. Whenever possible. Even if you're not sure whether it makes sense or not.

- Use recycled toilet paper, meaning toilet paper made from recycled paper, e.g.; even if it's not as fluffy as the 4-ply one.

- Don't buy/get a new mobile/cell phone every year just because it's fancy or inclusive, especially if your current one still works perfectly fine.

- Don't buy candy or whatever wrapped in a ton of foil, just because it's much more comfortable and neat to have every piece wrapped individually.

- Cut down the amount of meat you eat.

- Buy eggs and meat from happy animals from the region where you live. Support local farmers, butchers, ...

What you got? :)

Toruk Makto

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

uniltiranyu aean

this is exactly my view.

-may be, use less electricity? Its still exist a lot of power stations..sooo, first charge your cell phone when it has less than 20 percent. Do the same with your Laptop and other things, which need electricity.
-Use lunch boxes or don't pack your meal everyday in new aluminium foil.

not that good, but every step helps, I think...
You can write me in Italian, French, German and of course in English.

Eywa ngahu

Tìtstewan

Quote from: Eana Unil on April 22, 2015, 09:56:31 AM
These are greate suggestions! :D

Just a few things...
- Don't buy/get a new mobile/cell phone every year just because it's fancy or inclusive, especially if your current one still works perfectly fine.
Mllte oe. Släää...
I would expand that to more devices such as PC, tablets etc.
I try to use my stuff as long as possible. If something is broken, I try to fix it. Only if a thing isn't fixable I will buy a new one. Also, I try to use older devices as a reserve; eg. if my mobile phone broke I have an older phone.
Unfortunately, technology become more and more complex that if something doesn't work anymore, one can't fix it easily. Also not to forget the "planned obsolescence"...

- Don't buy candy or whatever wrapped in a ton of foil, just because it's much more comfortable and neat to have every piece wrapped individually.
I buy only huge sized packs full of sweet things. :) The only plastic is the box (one can use it for store miscelanious things in later).

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Toliman

QuoteI would expand that to more devices such as PC, tablets etc.
I try to use my stuff as long as possible. If something is broken, I try to fix it. Only if a thing isn't fixable I will buy a new one. Also, I try to use older devices as a reserve; eg. if my mobile phone broke I have an older phone.
I totally agree.

QuoteUnfortunately, technology become more and more complex that if something doesn't work anymore, one can't fix it easily. Also not to forget the "planned obsolescence"...
It is unfortunately true  :( Many older technology can be relatively easily repaired. Minor defects are often fatal for new technologies.

Vawmataw

Well, maybe not save, but at least cut down the pollution, waste, shortly destruction everyone of us causes everyday.
Let's collect ideas and tips in order to do what we can, even if they're so small that they seem to matter nothing at all. And let's try to make these ideas become everyday actions.

- Recycle. Everything. Whenever possible. Even if you're not sure whether it makes sense or not.

- Use recycled toilet paper, meaning toilet paper made from recycled paper, e.g.; even if it's not as fluffy as the 4-ply one.

- Cut down the amount of meat you eat.

- Buy eggs and meat from happy animals from the region where you live. Support local farmers, butchers, ...

What you got? :)
- Be more informed about all the parties that will be candidate in the next elections and spread the information. Then, vote for the party that should help the citizens AND the environement,
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Dreamlight

Walk or use public transit instead of driving.
Buy less of everything, and consider getting it second-hand; you don't really need the coolest new clothes, furniture, whatever.
Consider other sources of energy--solar power, alternative fuels, whatever.
http://www.reverbnation.com/inkubussukkubus
"Peace on Earth" was all it said.

Blue Elf

On your walks collect garbage you find (if it is not too big). In the city you can use public bins, in the nature is good idea to have some bag. This small action has very visible effect, you can believe.
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Dreamlight

Yeah, I have long since been in the habit of picking up garbage and tossing it into the next recycling bin.

Oh, the things I do for my planet.  ;D
http://www.reverbnation.com/inkubussukkubus
"Peace on Earth" was all it said.

Eana Unil

Picking up garbage is a great idea, I should make that one of my daily habits.

Some more:
- use water instead of toilet paper, if possible.
- don't use fabric conditioner/softener. Your laundry gets clean and fresh without it and conditioner only irritates skin and pollutes ground water.
- don't use too much washing powder. In best case, use even less and/or biodegradable cleaning agents in general.
- don't tumble dry your laundry. The sun achieves the same and the air makes it smell nice and clean.

Raiden

Quote from: Eana Unil on May 18, 2015, 10:06:43 AM
Picking up garbage is a great idea, I should make that one of my daily habits.

Some more:
- use water instead of toilet paper, if possible.
- don't use fabric conditioner/softener. Your laundry gets clean and fresh without it and conditioner only irritates skin and pollutes ground water.
- don't use too much washing powder. In best case, use even less and/or biodegradable cleaning agents in general.
- don't tumble dry your laundry. The sun achieves the same and the air makes it smell nice and clean.

Hey, nice to see you back again.

This is a great thread; I was going to make a similar thread, but you beat me to the punch.

I actually made a similar thread about a year ago:

http://forum.learnnavi.org/learnnavi-community-support-board/are-we-losing-our-values/

And this is why we have added a volunteering component to all the AvatarMeet events, starting with last year. We went to a local nature reserve and helped them remove invasive plants so that they could replant with native species.

I do the following things:

1) Grow native shrubs, wildflowers, and trees and transplant them in places that are missing native vegetation. Right now I have five young trees, some wildflowers, a snowberry plant, and a sword fern (sword fern is my favorite native plant species).

2) Kill/remove invasive species to keep them from strangling the native ones. For example, I know that many of you live in mainland Europe, where Hedera sp. ivy is a native species, but I live in Oregon, on the west coast of north America, where that same plant can take over entire forests and kill trees, since none of the animals here will eat it. Himalayan blackberries are invasive here too, and when I see ivy infestations or blackberries taking over a field, I try to spend a few minutes hacking away at them to at least help keep them in check.

3) Breed/release native amphibians, or hatch and release native amphibian eggs. I haven't had time to do it this year, but amphibians are declining where I live due to development pressures, and know where I can collect their eggs. Due to climate change, amphibian eggs also have reduced hatch rates, so I keep the eggs and then hatch them and release the young once they are capable of breathing air. This way, they have a head start in life, which can counteract some of the problems humans have caused for them.

4) I have reduced my meat consumption, especially beef. I only eat beef about once per month, and most of my protein comes from fish, poultry and eggs, which I try to purchase only from trusted sources. It is worth noting here that beef and lamb both contribute the most to CO2 emissions, so we should avoid eating lamb, too.

5) Grow a garden! I just finished my garden for the summer, and it includes a wide variety of fruits and veggies, which I may yet add to. All of the seedling plants I bought were from a locally-owned small grocery store chain that only sells organic veggies, and all of the plants I bought were also organic. I can post pictures later, but I have romaine lettuce, mixed "mesclun" lettuce mix, broccoli, peas, string beans, cherry tomatoes, regular tomatoes, banana peppers, bell peppers, cucumber, carrots, strawberries, and watermelon. Plus, there's an apple tree, a plum tree, and a grapevine growing in the yard. I built the garden to also offer homes for insects and spiders, which helps keep pests away by offering habitat to their predators; a small pile of dead leaves can offer homes to centipedes and ground beetles, some tall grass or wildflowers can be an attracting hunting grounds for a mantis, and some rocks or some rotten logs and tree bark is prime real estate for spiders. All of these "guards" working in tandem help keep the population of pest insects and invertebrates (like slugs) balanced, so that any harm they cause to the vegetables is minimal, and I don't have to use any harmful synthetic chemicals like pesticides.

I'll come back and add more later, with photos.

Trouble keeps me running faster

Save the planet from disaster...

Ewa'tuì

Kaltxì! More things!

- Bring a tote to your supermarket for both fruits and vegetables, too, not only for other items. Consider items with minimal packaging, like bananas.
- Use bar soaps. Believe it or not, a lot of water and wastefulness goes into making fancy smelly bottled soaps. Consider getting soap from someone who makes them handmade!
- Use sunscreen that is ocean friendly when you go to the beach. Did you know that sunscreen is one of the top things that bleach coral? Ocean Potion is a great brand!
- Grow plants in your house. Fresh air is always great, and it can be a very rewarding hobby!
- Make a garden! Growing your own food is sustainable and fun, plus you get rewarded with the fruits of your harvest!
- Refill your water bottles, consider getting a reusable one. Cut back on plastic bottles.
- Recycle batteries and old electronics! If you aren't sure where you can do this, google is your friend.

Hope this helps!

Toliman

jakesullyjr

Going vegan, entirely eating local,
cutting down on plastic consumption[or eliminate it entirely]

Toliman