The Great Convergence of the Clans 2013: Las Vegas?

Started by DJ Makto, August 16, 2011, 09:28:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seze Mune

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on August 31, 2011, 09:40:18 PM
Quote from: Seze Mune on August 31, 2011, 05:09:36 PM
I suppose you are right about the high desert being just as natural.  But it isn't like Pandora is pictured in the movie.  However, that's just my preference.  I was in Las Vegas briefly this past spring and I am sorry but I couldn't get out of there fast enough.  I like really green, green things.

I guess I have lived in the high desert long enough now that I don't miss the green too much. (I would be lying, though if I said I don't miss it at all.) You wouldn't believe how fast stuff here grows when it has the chance. And, there is plenty of wildlife here, including aynantang (coyotes) and falulukantsyìp (cougars). Many desert plants are in bloom, now and there are flowers everywhere.

For me there is an odd scent to the desert, a strange spicy-mineral scent that seems to pervade everything, including the food.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: Seze Mune on September 01, 2011, 01:15:26 PM
For me there is an odd scent to the desert, a strange spicy-mineral scent that seems to pervade everything, including the food.

I bet it is the cresotey smell of sagebrush and other desert brushes.

And Txura, there is always something blooming in the desert. Even in nearby Death Valley, which is very much worth a day trip to see.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

DJ Makto

Quote from: Txura Rolyu on September 01, 2011, 01:05:55 PM
Wiil all of this wonderful nature be around during July? It seems most people are available that month just from looking at last year and then next years dates.

Yup it always around, though July--or any other summer month June-August can be quite hot. Here are some shots of the beautiful Red Rock area which is only about a 30 minute drive away from Vegas. Its does not quite fully fit the stereotype of a desert (no cacti for starters). Hopefully the first pic in the series shows up correctly (as it was a long exposure night shot of the area).

Txura Rolyu

The night shot is beautiful.  :D I wanna go camping there!
Quote from: Ekirä on March 30, 2011, 04:45:34 PMNeytiri: Now you choose your woman. This you must feel inside. If she also chooses you, move quick like I showed.
Jake: How will I know if she chooses me?
Neytiri: She will try to kill you.
Jake: Outstanding. *takes out an ikran-catcher and walks through hometree looking for women*

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

The Red Rock area is a park (the pictures do not do it justice), and I bet there is some places there you can camp. I would be for camping there, as well. There is a developed campsite on the mountain overlooking Red Rock, but I bet you are more interested in rough camping.

No cacti to speak of, but you can see some yucca trees in the bottom of the third photo.

Yawey ngahu!

DJ Makto

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on September 01, 2011, 11:26:42 PM
The Red Rock area is a park (the pictures do not do it justice), and I bet there is some places there you can camp. I would be for camping there, as well. There is a developed campsite on the mountain overlooking Red Rock, but I bet you are more interested in rough camping.

No cacti to speak of, but you can see some yucca trees in the bottom of the third photo.

Also a yucca tree prominently featured in the foreground of the night shot. ;)

I definitely agree that the pictures do not do the area or the park justice. When things cool down, I want to shoot some video and test out the DIY glide-cam system that I am building. (I will of course post up the results) ;)

Seze Mune

Quote from: DJ Makto on September 02, 2011, 12:50:56 AM
Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on September 01, 2011, 11:26:42 PM

Also a yucca tree prominently featured in the foreground of the night shot. ;)

I definitely agree that the pictures do not do the area or the park justice. When things cool down, I want to shoot some video and test out the DIY glide-cam system that I am building. (I will of course post up the results) ;)

Glide-cam system?  Camera on a zipline?  How cool is that?   ;)

DJ Makto

Quote from: Seze Mune on September 03, 2011, 01:31:10 PM

Glide-cam system?  Camera on a zipline?  How cool is that?   ;)

Nah a Glidecam is not quite a elaborate as that, basically its camera stabilization system that works using a counterweight to keep the footage steady. Basically how some of the sweeping/flying type shots are achieved.

Here is an example of a Glidecam in action: ;)

Kauai - The Lost World - Canon 5D Mark II - Glidecam HD 4000

Txonä Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on September 01, 2011, 02:43:40 PM
And Txura, there is always something blooming in the desert. Even in nearby Death Valley, which is very much worth a day trip to see.

Very true, especially a couple hours after a nice thunderstorm :) I used to live in El Paso, TX and when I went to the dessert behind my house just after a thunderstorm EVERY cactus was in bloom. Lor fìtxan :)

Quote from: DJ Makto on September 01, 2011, 02:54:31 PM
Quote from: Txura Rolyu on September 01, 2011, 01:05:55 PM
Wiil all of this wonderful nature be around during July? It seems most people are available that month just from looking at last year and then next years dates.

Yup it always around, though July--or any other summer month June-August can be quite hot. Here are some shots of the beautiful Red Rock area which is only about a 30 minute drive away from Vegas. Its does not quite fully fit the stereotype of a desert (no cacti for starters). Hopefully the first pic in the series shows up correctly (as it was a long exposure night shot of the area).

Lora pxerel nang!

-Txonä Rolyu

AvatarMeet was fantastic. Thanks to all who attended :D

Na'vi Kintrrä #70° :D

Keyeyluke ke tsun livu kea tìnusume

Oeri Uniltìrantokxìl txe'lanit nì'aw takeiuk nì'ul txa' fralo

Fpìl na Na'vi. Plltxe na Na'vi. Tìran na Na'vi. Kame na Na'vi

mikkowilson

Quote from: DJ Makto on September 03, 2011, 03:43:09 PM

Forget the Glidecam marketing that appears to be (great Cinematography reel though). And stuff Vegas. I want to have a meetup THERE.

- Mikko ... points out that the Glidecam is just a ripoff of the Steadicam.
Mikko Wilson
Juneau, Alaska, USA
[email protected] - www.mikkowilson.com - +1 (907) 321-8387

Txura Rolyu

(Watches the footage...)

(Reads mikkowilson's post)

Agreed we should totally make a shot for a Hawaiian islands. I think that would be the most epic summer trip ever.  ;D

Quote from: Ekirä on March 30, 2011, 04:45:34 PMNeytiri: Now you choose your woman. This you must feel inside. If she also chooses you, move quick like I showed.
Jake: How will I know if she chooses me?
Neytiri: She will try to kill you.
Jake: Outstanding. *takes out an ikran-catcher and walks through hometree looking for women*

DJ Makto

Quote from: mikkowilson on November 14, 2011, 01:05:37 PM
Quote from: DJ Makto on September 03, 2011, 03:43:09 PM

Forget the Glidecam marketing that appears to be (great Cinematography reel though). And stuff Vegas. I want to have a meetup THERE.

- Mikko ... points out that the Glidecam is just a ripoff of the Steadicam.

Agreed, that is why I am building my own DIY version for less than $30. Spending $500 for a mount, gimbal and counterweights is a total ripoff.

And also I would love to do a Hawaii meetup, dunno if my wallet would be as agreeable though.  ;D

AketuanNavi

I would LOVE to have the next meetup there.   :)

But it will cost A LOT...   :(

(also incidentally, I live 6 hours from Las Vegas   ;) )

Just play the penny and nickel slots, your money will last longer LOL ;) My university is only about 3 hours from Vegas...the same distance that my Washington house is from Seattle lol. We also have a community member who lives in Vegas! She's not on this forum tho she's on TOS.

-Txonä Rolyu

Seze Mune

Quote from: Txonä Te Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì on November 15, 2011, 08:57:42 PM
Just play the penny and nickel slots, your money will last longer LOL ;) My university is only about 3 hours from Vegas...the same distance that my Washington house is from Seattle lol. We also have a community member who lives in Vegas! She's not on this forum tho she's on TOS.

-Txonä Rolyu

And she has a VERY high regard for Jake Sully, if you're thinking of whom I'm thinking, ma 'eylan. :D

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I am only about 7.5 hours from 'Vegas and drive there a couple times a year. I always enjoy going down there, even though it is about as far from meoauniaea as you can get.... There are at least a couple of community members there.

Yawey ngahu!

Quote from: Seze Mune on November 15, 2011, 09:09:32 PM

-Txonä Rolyu

And she has a VERY high regard for Jake Sully, if you're thinking of whom I'm thinking, ma 'eylan. :D

I think we're thinking of the same person ;)

-Txonä Rolyu

DJ Makto

Quote from: Txonä Te Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì on November 16, 2011, 01:53:11 AM

-Txonä Rolyu

-Txonä Rolyu

Wou, another community member living in Las Vegas? Apart from myself?  :)

AketuanNavi

Seze Mune

Quote from: DJ Makto on November 16, 2011, 01:22:55 PM
Quote from: Txonä Te Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì on November 16, 2011, 01:53:11 AM

-Txonä Rolyu

-Txonä Rolyu

Wou, another community member living in Las Vegas? Apart from myself?  :)

Srane, ma DJ.  I am surprised you do not already know this person.  I think perhaps she is better known on FB than here, however.