The Great Convergence of the Clans 2013: Las Vegas?

Started by DJ Makto, August 16, 2011, 09:28:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJ Makto

Seze Mune

Txonä Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì

Quote from: Seze Mune on November 18, 2011, 09:28:09 AM
Quote from: DJ Makto on November 16, 2011, 01:22:55 PM
Quote from: Txonä Te Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì on November 16, 2011, 01:53:11 AM
Quote from: Seze Mune on November 15, 2011, 09:09:32 PM
Quote from: Txonä Te Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì on November 15, 2011, 08:57:42 PM
Just play the penny and nickel slots, your money will last longer LOL ;) My university is only about 3 hours from Vegas...the same distance that my Washington house is from Seattle lol. We also have a community member who lives in Vegas! She's not on this forum tho she's on TOS.

-Txonä Rolyu

And she has a VERY high regard for Jake Sully, if you're thinking of whom I'm thinking, ma 'eylan. :D

I think we're thinking of the same person ;)

-Txonä Rolyu

Wou, another community member living in Las Vegas? Apart from myself?  :)

Srane, ma DJ.  I am surprised you do not already know this person.  I think perhaps she is better known on FB than here, however.

Yeah FB and ToS. She's not even on this forum.

-Txonä Rolyu

AvatarMeet was fantastic. Thanks to all who attended :D

Na'vi Kintrrä #70° :D

Keyeyluke ke tsun livu kea tìnusume

Oeri Uniltìrantokxìl txe'lanit nì'aw takeiuk nì'ul txa' fralo

Fpìl na Na'vi. Plltxe na Na'vi. Tìran na Na'vi. Kame na Na'vi

Reykoveyzä te Werufalä Haflak'ite

Hey -  I was just wondering, will there be a meetup next year? I gather that a lot of people lose interest the longer avatar has been out, and I'd love to come, but my parents wont allow me to this year. Do you think there'll still be enough people here to make a meetup next year viable?
Also, sorry for the necropost, I just didn't think this question was worthy of a whole new topic  ;D
Irayo, ma frapo, ma oeyä smuke sì ma oeyä smukan.
Vivar 'ivong Na'vi! Eywa ayngahu!

*if i make a mistake in any of my Na'vi, please correct me :)

Quote from: Reykoveyzä te Weru'falä Haflak'ite on January 23, 2012, 04:55:02 PM
Hey -  I was just wondering, will there be a meetup next year? I gather that a lot of people lose interest the longer avatar has been out, and I'd love to come, but my parents wont allow me to this year. Do you think there'll still be enough people here to make a meetup next year viable?
Also, sorry for the necropost, I just didn't think this question was worthy of a whole new topic  ;D

It's not a necro if it's relevant to the topic :)

We are talking about a 2013 meet up, the proposed location is Las Vegas, NV USA. I'm sure there will be a meet up next year either in Vegas or somewhere else. Yeah, for some interest fades, but for the most part the community is quite strong :) There were 2 meet ups in 2011 which I attended and I will also be attending this one. As you may know, the idea of this year's meet up is to combine the groups from last year (and of course add more people ;) ). I'm sure everyone will want another meet up in 2013. I'd like to see AvatarMeet be an annual tradition that eventually turns into a full blown convention :)

-Txonä Rolyu

Tirea Aean

aw man.. for being environmentalist fans of a movie about "they killed their mother, there's no green there", Vegas seems like a very uhm interesting place to have an AVTR meet. ;D

Why no meet up in the mountains or in the plains or somewhere not in a bigol city? :D

On second thought, the areas surrounding Vegas seem awesome.

ORRR we could follow the exhibit around like "following the Dead" as was mentioned in an AN recording of the July 2011 meet. Does anyone know where it's going?

Also, it seems that I will not be attending anything outside Baltimore or MD... but I don't want to be selfish and make everyone come to me so that I can be with everyone ;D

Toruk Makto

There is an awesome primitive camping area in the San Juan mountains of Colorado near our cabin. Would be a great natural place for a meet sometime. Would definitely have to be in the summer, though.

Markì

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Toruk Makto on January 23, 2012, 08:53:01 PM
There is an awesome primitive camping area in the San Juan mountains of Colorado near our cabin. Would be a great natural place for a meet sometime. Would definitely have to be in the summer, though.

Markì

And it's close to oe & Aketuan :D

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Well Seattle is kinda up there with Vegas just minus the slot machines and some of the prositution. Vegas is just a proposed location, nothing's been finalized lol.

Camping in CO sounds nice too :)

-Txonä Rolyu

Tirea Aean

camping anywhere where trees and good friends are always sounds nice :D

Quote from: Tirea Aean on January 23, 2012, 10:41:41 PM
camping anywhere where trees and good friends are always sounds nice :D

Srane nìngay :)

-Txonä Rolyu

Reykoveyzä te Werufalä Haflak'ite

Quote from: Txonä Te Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì on January 23, 2012, 05:19:50 PM

We are talking about a 2013 meet up, the proposed location is Las Vegas, NV USA. I'm sure there will be a meet up next year either in Vegas or somewhere else. Yeah, for some interest fades, but for the most part the community is quite strong :) There were 2 meet ups in 2011 which I attended and I will also be attending this one. As you may know, the idea of this year's meet up is to combine the groups from last year (and of course add more people ;) ). I'm sure everyone will want another meet up in 2013. I'd like to see AvatarMeet be an annual tradition that eventually turns into a full blown convention :)

-Txonä Rolyu

That's good :) I thought it already was a full blown convention though?
Irayo, ma frapo, ma oeyä smuke sì ma oeyä smukan.
Vivar 'ivong Na'vi! Eywa ayngahu!

*if i make a mistake in any of my Na'vi, please correct me :)

Niri Te

Vegas would be WONDERFUL in 2013. That's HALF the distance that we are going this year, AND Tee and I can fly our airplane THERE, because there is a small uncontrolled airfield close by, that we can legally fly our 72 year old Taylorcraft into legally without any of the transponders, and encoding altimeters that we would need to fly into Seattle.
Niri Te
Tokx alu tawtute, Tirea Le Na'vi

Quote from: Reykoveyzä te Weru'falä Haflak'ite on January 24, 2012, 01:14:32 AM
Quote from: Txonä Te Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì on January 23, 2012, 05:19:50 PM

-Txonä Rolyu

That's good :) I thought it already was a full blown convention though?

Not yet. I'm talking about like a Comic-Con type deal....Idk if you've ever been to or heard of a Comic-Con. Someone who has can explain it better than I can.

-Txonä Rolyu

Alan

Quote from: Tirea Aean on January 23, 2012, 08:00:17 PM
aw man.. for being environmentalist fans of a movie about "they killed their mother, there's no green there", Vegas seems like a very uhm interesting place to have an AVTR meet. ;D

Why no meet up in the mountains or in the plains or somewhere not in a bigol city? :D

ORRR we could follow the exhibit around like "following the Dead" as was mentioned in an AN recording of the July 2011 meet. Does anyone know where it's going?

Well that is an interesting point about having a meet up in the moutains, because that is what we are doing too!

The few days before the meet up in Seattle we are having a camping trip to the Sol Duc camp site on the Olympic Peninsular opposite Seattle.  You can find out more here: http://www.avatarmeet.com/?m=3&s=6

But yeah, the main part of the meet up will be in Seattle.  This is a result of two meet ups last year in Seattle in June and July where we just thought they were too good an experience to let them be one offs.  So here we are!

I know there has been an Avatar meet up over the past two years in Germany which has been a camp meet up.  I'm sure some folks will have more information about it somewhere.

If all goes good with this Seattle one we will continue with them.  We are starting small, aka meet ups, but if it grows then it may well become a convention.  Small steps though... :D

I suspect we will be following the exhibition round when it comes to meet up time.  Hopefully it will make it to the east coast so fans on that side are able to attend and also more European aysmukan sì aysmuke can attend too. ;)

I also suspect if we continue we may end up at Avatar World when it is completed.  Finally when Avatar 2 and Avatar 3 are release...eventually!!!... you can bet your bottom dollar that we will be having a mass meet up for them!  Wonder if it will be London again?  HELL YEAH!!!! ;D

Alan

ExLibrisMortis

The reason why Vegas is suggested is because you can go a short distance and find forests, the rates to get to Vegas are generally cheaper than anywhere else, relatively speaking. Vegas does a real good job and urging companies to offer deals and lesser rates to get there. Also, getting cheap hotels and other amenities for everyone is a whole lot easier to do in Vegas. If you go with the mind to not gamble or engage in other activities, you can ahve a real fun time in Vegas for little money at all.

mikkowilson

As I mentioned in another thread: I can't think of a place LESS Pandora than Vegas to host a meetup. We might as well do it at a Wal Mart.

BUT, I digress; this thread is for 2012 discussion, please use the other appropriate threads to discuss future meetups. Thanks.

- Mikko
Mikko Wilson
Juneau, Alaska, USA
[email protected] - www.mikkowilson.com - +1 (907) 321-8387

DJ Makto

I know that this should be discussed on the other Vegas thread, however I do feel the need to post a counter argument to all the negativity pointed at Vegas as a potential future meetup location.

I'm not sure why people get the idea that deserts are a desolate and ravaged products of modern industrialization. When you get away from the city deserts are strikingly beautiful in their own way. Here are some photo examples of that beauty that I have taken by my own hand:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/75134190@N04/6758342893/#
http://www.flickr.com/photos/75134190@N04/6758344781/#
http://www.flickr.com/photos/75134190@N04/6758346813/#
http://www.flickr.com/photos/75134190@N04/6758348109/#

These are all shots taken at the beautiful and renowned Red Rock Canyon State park which is a 30 minute drive from the Las Vegas Strip. It will also surprise many that there is a beautiful forest range within less than one hour of driving time as seen here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/75134190@N04/6758360109/#
http://www.flickr.com/photos/75134190@N04/6758361423/#
http://www.flickr.com/photos/75134190@N04/6758362649/#
http://www.flickr.com/photos/75134190@N04/6758363929/#

Also take into account that not all of Pandora is lush rainforest, I do recall the Pandorapedia on the Blu-Ray version of Avatar noting that Pandora has desert regions along with polar and boreal regions. For now, sources like the ASG and Pandorapedia is our best sources of canon info regarding Pandora, Na'vi, RDA.

Then there is the logistical consideration, Las Vegas has some of the lowest hotel rates and airfare costs of any major city or destination making easier and more affordable for more of our members of the community to come together. Nevermind the fact that most major hotels are willing to bend over backwards to provide additional discounts on rooms and meeting space for a meetup/gathering.

Yes Las Vegas does represent some of the decadence that may have made humanity soft. However, that is only the Strip which is only one part of Las Vegas. The real beauty lies outsite of Las Vegas with multiple beautiful outdoor areas with absolutely fantastic hiking.

It saddens me that so many of my Learn Na'vi tsmukan/tsmuke have such a limited and narrow view of the deserts and Las Vegas.  :(

Tirea Aean

if only I could see those pictures. \404

:o :o

Comments retracted.

Fully agreed with DJ Makto. For those that don't know, I grew up in El Paso, TX and I had desert right behind my house. I liked to go out there after a good rain storm and see all the cacti in bloom :) Also, as you can see in DJ's 1st photo, desert nights are also quite lovely. My aunt lives in a desert region in the Pino Mts. in Frazier Park, CA and I stopped at her house for a while on the way to Redlands and I went out one night and I could see EVERY star in the sky....even the Milky Way Galaxy!!! I think Vegas would be a nice place for a future meet up :)

Mod note: topics split. 2013 discussion moved to 2013 thread.

Edit: :-[ well crappity doo dah...my board mod powers don't allow me to merge this with the 2013 thread because I'm not a mod where that thread is. Can an actual forum mod merge those rutxe? Irayo.

-Txonä Rolyu