The Great Convergence of the Clans 2013: Las Vegas?

Started by DJ Makto, August 16, 2011, 09:28:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJ Makto

The idea popped up in the Seattle Meetup general discussion thread and seemed to have enough interest. So I am starting a new thread around the idea of having a multi-clan meetup in Las Vegas 2013.

Why Las Vegas you ask? Here are a few great reasons:

• Las Vegas is a relatively centralized location for our US Clan members
  • Since Las Vegas is a major tourist destination domestic and possibly internation airfare is often considerably cheaper than other cities
  • Las Vegas has been hit very hard by the hard economic times, and hotels are willing to bend over backwards and offer great deals nice rooms and meeting space to groups of individuals.
  • Las Vegas has lots of convention/meeting room capacity for groups of all sizes--this means cheaper meeting space for us
  • There are lots of activities and things to do beyond gambling and other "adult" activities
  • There are several beautiful national conservation areas and monuments a short drive away--most notably Red Rock Area and Valley of Fire. (Group hike anyone?)

These are just a few reasons to have a meetup in Las Vegas in the distant future.

So lets start the conversation. :)

Payoang

Sounds fun! I'd probably await the turnout of the Seattle Meet-up in 2012 before planning the next one.

Las Vegas is definitely a fun tourist destination, but I'm not entirely sure whether it's the ideal location for something Avatar-centric. Las Vegas does, after all, represent the epitome of capitalism at its finest, and human nature at its ... well, rawest.

AketuanNavi

Good ideas, but I think it is a little early to start thinking about it... :)

mikkowilson

I can not think of a place less "Avatar" than Las Vegas.

Well, I'm sure the RDA would love it. But, well; "there's no green there".

Loving the discussion of future ideas though.

- Mikko
Mikko Wilson
Juneau, Alaska, USA
[email protected] - www.mikkowilson.com - +1 (907) 321-8387

Maria TunVrrtep

Although I agree that there is no place less Pandora-like, except perhaps the Sahara (and if we ever want to plan a meetup there - I'm in!!!!) I LOVE Vegas!!!!  I'm there.  And I'll probably be working and have vacation by then!
* Maria TunVrrtep
"Ke'u ke lu law a krr frakem tsunslu." -
    Margaret Drabble
("When nothing is sure, everything is possible.")

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Las Vegas is only not 'green' because of its location. Electrical power there is mainly from a natural source (Hoover Dam, which is just outside Las Vegas). They have one of the best working water conservation plans in the country. And the massive, just-completed City Center complex is completely LEED certified. Also, neon is actually a fairly efficient light source  8)

Despite its reputation, there are plenty of family-oriented things to do in Las Vegas. I'll second the Red Rocks area as a beautiful place to visit. I also like Siegfried and Roy's Secret Garden in the Mirage hotel as a peaceful place to go. It has dolphins (and is a true research facility, not just an attraction) and big cats  :) It is also relatively quiet there.

Meeting in Las Vegas does not mean we need to meet in a big strip hotel. There are plenty of off-strip places that might be better choices. Many are non-smoking and/or non-gaming.

Zephaniah, if you decide to come through Reno on the way, you have a place to visit/stay!

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Human No More

Sounds a bit expensive for me... :'(
Even if it has got cheaper... Some of us don't have jobs, even before we have to pay for the flights there, and I really don't know if I'd be able to afford that one...

Also, personally I'd rather go somewhere a bit more 'Pandora-like' in terms of nature, as mentioned before.
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Txura Rolyu

I agree with the more "green" surrounding. In Seattle we have the exhibit to give us the touch of AVTR that we need to make it something everyone can do, but in Vegas I am thinking that there really isnt anything specifically AVTR related other than all of us meeting together.  :-\

Personally I would like to just follow the exhibit. It could go to some pretty awesome places I am sure. If it goes out of the country I would so go.  :D I love traveling abroad.
Quote from: Ekirä on March 30, 2011, 04:45:34 PMNeytiri: Now you choose your woman. This you must feel inside. If she also chooses you, move quick like I showed.
Jake: How will I know if she chooses me?
Neytiri: She will try to kill you.
Jake: Outstanding. *takes out an ikran-catcher and walks through hometree looking for women*

Human No More

I want it to come to England. If it does, we can have a meetup here, I can help arrange that :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
dA

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Maria TunVrrtep

You all need to remember that those planning the meetups are trying to plan them for everyone.  We can not and will not plan specifically for one or two people who want something.  The needs of the many and all that. 
We try to accommodate as many people as possible.  However it must be remembered that the places where people want to go are expensive.  We aren't talking about a meetup in East Jebib.  We are talking about large cities.  These are expensive places. 
"Ke'u ke lu law a krr frakem tsunslu." -
    Margaret Drabble
("When nothing is sure, everything is possible.")

Txura Rolyu

I understand ma Maria  :)

I am more than happy to compromise if need be, but I would like to have my voice heard at least.
Quote from: Ekirä on March 30, 2011, 04:45:34 PMNeytiri: Now you choose your woman. This you must feel inside. If she also chooses you, move quick like I showed.
Jake: Outstanding. *takes out an ikran-catcher and walks through hometree looking for women*

Seze Mune

Quote from: Human No More on August 27, 2011, 12:32:17 AM
Sounds a bit expensive for me... :'(
Even if it has got cheaper... Some of us don't have jobs, even before we have to pay for the flights there, and I really don't know if I'd be able to afford that one...

Also, personally I'd rather go somewhere a bit more 'Pandora-like' in terms of nature, as mentioned before.

I have to agree with the idea behind this.  Although getting a great deal in Lost Wages sounds great, it's not Pandora by any stretch of the imagination.  So what would be an alternative?  John Muir Woods area with the sequoias?  Or Yellowstone, or a national park area on the East Coast?  Or do we go back to the rainforest of Seattle?

Human No More

Quote from: Maria TunVrrtep on August 27, 2011, 07:46:20 AM
You all need to remember that those planning the meetups are trying to plan them for everyone.  We can not and will not plan specifically for one or two people who want something.  The needs of the many and all that. 
We try to accommodate as many people as possible.  However it must be remembered that the places where people want to go are expensive.  We aren't talking about a meetup in East Jebib.  We are talking about large cities.  These are expensive places. 

My point was more if the exhibit came to us over here to arrange something else - not to do with the current one.
As for expense, well, that's one the reasons I don't think Las Vegas is such a great idea. I'd really like to be able to come to every single meetup from now onwards.

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
dA

- Richard P. Feynman

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Keep in mind that many Pandora-like places where we might hold a meetup are expensive to 'do', because they are out-of-the way, and getting to these places can be expensive unless you drive. There may also be problems with lodging, meeting space, etc. in places like these (although meeting in a forest place would be a lot fun). Without infrastructure (or an AVTR exhibit), the event would have to be planned more carefully to help everyone be 'busy' if they desire.

An area doesn't have to be green to be 'green'. The high desert is just as natural as a forest, just not so green-colored. Same thing with seashore/lakeshore setting.

Las Vegas does not have to be expensive if you plan it right. If anything, Seattle was more expensive. Las Vegas isn't as 'urban' as Seattle is. The secret is to find a hotel off the strip, which there are plenty of. Locals like DJ Makto can help in suggesting local activities.

Above all, I think the number 1 thing that makes meetups like ours work is the fellowship of fellow Na`vi speakers/Avatar fans. Under the right circumstances, this could work anywhere.

Yawey ngahu!

Seze Mune

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on August 31, 2011, 03:39:07 PM
Keep in mind that many Pandora-like places where we might hold a meetup are expensive to 'do', because they are out-of-the way, and getting to these places can be expensive unless you drive. There may also be problems with lodging, meeting space, etc. in places like these (although meeting in a forest place would be a lot fun). Without infrastructure (or an AVTR exhibit), the event would have to be planned more carefully to help everyone be 'busy' if they desire.

An area doesn't have to be green to be 'green'. The high desert is just as natural as a forest, just not so green-colored. Same thing with seashore/lakeshore setting.

Las Vegas does not have to be expensive if you plan it right. If anything, Seattle was more expensive. Las Vegas isn't as 'urban' as Seattle is. The secret is to find a hotel off the strip, which there are plenty of. Locals like DJ Makto can help in suggesting local activities.

Above all, I think the number 1 thing that makes meetups like ours work is the fellowship of fellow Na`vi speakers/Avatar fans. Under the right circumstances, this could work anywhere.

I suppose you are right about the high desert being just as natural.  But it isn't like Pandora is pictured in the movie.  However, that's just my preference.  I was in Las Vegas briefly this past spring and I am sorry but I couldn't get out of there fast enough.  I like really green, green things.

Amaya

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on August 31, 2011, 03:39:07 PM

<snip>

On the topic of "green-coloured" places to go, I would really REALLY love to see a meetup here in Victoria in order to go out to the Avatar Grove (which, as you say, would require people who can drive to get to but perhaps something can be arranged...there is a group who do hikes to support the grove and such) but anyway that's a little off this topic XD

What I was going to say is that if there is a meetup arranged for Las Vegas it might be very interesting (and actually, I think, vital) that at least one activity be provided going out into the desert with a local naturalist or person very familiar with the nature there to really highlight the amazing tenacity of life in that setting.  I've never been to that desert, but there is actually a desert area here in BC which I've been to, and although it's not as densely green as the forests, it's still dense with life.  People often forget that, and being shown it can give them an immense appreciation for the power of our Mother and how she fills even the seemingly "empty" spaces with life perfectly adapted to them.

Txura Rolyu

Okay I can see that being something "AVTR-ish" related. Learning about the enviroment and seeing some new things would be great. We would just need cars and all that fun stuff. I think I might even challenge myself to drive my 1967 VW Bug out to Las Vegas. Would be a fun roadtrip.  ;)

Seze Mune

*sigh*  I guess that would make loincloths appropriate attire, anyway.  ;D

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: Seze Mune on August 31, 2011, 05:09:36 PM
I suppose you are right about the high desert being just as natural.  But it isn't like Pandora is pictured in the movie.  However, that's just my preference.  I was in Las Vegas briefly this past spring and I am sorry but I couldn't get out of there fast enough.  I like really green, green things.

I guess I have lived in the high desert long enough now that I don't miss the green too much. (I would be lying, though if I said I don't miss it at all.) You wouldn't believe how fast stuff here grows when it has the chance. And, there is plenty of wildlife here, including aynantang (coyotes) and falulukantsyìp (cougars). Many desert plants are in bloom, now and there are flowers everywhere.

Yawey ngahu!

Txura Rolyu

Wiil all of this wonderful nature be around during July? It seems most people are available that month just from looking at last year and then next years dates.