Worldcon 2012

Started by `Eylan Ayfalulukanä, August 31, 2012, 11:54:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

The Na'vi panel at Worldcon 2012 in Chicago (A.K.A Chicon 7) was a complete success! The panel was presented by Learnnavi's own Wm. Annis and myself. Mr. Annis did the hapxì palulukanä of the presentation, which dealt with both the history of the Na'vi language, as well as teching some practical lessons. Digressing a bit from the lesson that K.Pawl designed, he concentrated on phonetics and pronunciation to the generally linguistics-aware audience of about 13 people. He went over each of the conversation blocks word-by word and discussed the pronunciation challenges. Then, everyone had a chance to pronounce the words. (Not surprisingly, I had some issues with my pronunciation pointed out as well. I also now know from three different people that I don't roll R's well ;)  ) Mr. annis also discussed some of the unique grammar of Na'vi and compared it to other 'Rrtan languages. After the panel (the last of the evening), both William and I were engaged in conversations with participants for at least half an hour.

So although the turnout was smaller than I had hoped, the panel turned out as well as I could have ever expected!

LearnNavi member Jane MacMillian took the following pictures for us during the presentation. (Irayo, ma Jane!)

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

wm.annis

I'm pretty sure I did look at the audience more often than these pictures suggest.  :)

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

You, in fact, did regularly look at the audience!

Yawey ngahu!

Jane MacMillan

I didn't want to be taking pictures constantly, and I did want to get some of the lesson's content! :)
The panel went over well and I'm glad I got to hear it. Irayo, ma eylan!

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Ma Jane, you did a fine job on the pictures. You followed the instructions I gave you exactly, so don't feel that you didn't do well.

And, I do hope you did learn something from the lesson. Wm. Annis took a slightly different approach than I had in mind, but it was perfectly effective. I learned some things from it myself.  Most importantly, there was good audience participation. Audience participation (as I am sure you are well aware) is one of the strongest indicators of how well a presentation went.

Yawey ngahu!

Ftiafpi

I know this is old but is there any way we can find out feedback from non-LN.org memebers? I'm curious to how the panel was received by the attendees.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

That's kind of difficult, as I have no record of who was in attendance. I toeuld be nice to follow up with some of them if it is possible. I had hoped that there would be more people there from The Language Creation Society group, but I bet they were still enjoying a very nice dinner that Wm. Annis and I had to leave early, to be able to do this presentation.

Yawey ngahu!