Main Menu

A Na'vi script!!

Started by Swoka Swizaw, January 11, 2010, 10:51:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swoka Swizaw

Sorry if this is already up: http://www.omniglot.com/writing/nav.htm ...I'm lazy ;D

But, seriously, this Ian James cat may be the best conscripter I've ever seen. Doesn't this stuff look like something off of Pandora? Where can I get my name in a toolbar with this crap?!

Seze

It does look really cool, but I'm having a hard enough time learning Na'vi in the standard character set, let alone having to learn a brand new character set...

Learn Na'vi Mobile App - Now Available

Na'rìng

He beat me to it! I was thinking of making a symbol system for the language! Oh well, I'm still unclear of the creation of the actual symbol file...

Anyways, that looks good! Unless Paul Frommer has a symbol system already in place that we haven't seen yet, it may very well become the mainstay! Good show!

Eywa ayngahu, Na'rìng.
Eywa ngahu ma smukan.
Eywa'evengä yawne lu oeru.

It kraon. XD!!! (Speak it the Na'vi way)

Eight

I think it's been said many times on this forum that Frommer stated Na'vi was just a spoken language and had no written history.

I'm not against the idea completely though. And certainly at first glance, this script looks quite nice.

What worries me is that (and I could be wrong as it's not my area of study) in cultures where no native orthography has developed, I'm told it's unlikely that a truly unique native one would later develop in the presence of a strong influence from another system. I.e. Grace and Jake were (and are in the latter) in a position to teach the Na'vi to use the latin alphabet for their language... so why would they create an all new system if they chose to use one at all?

But... our t-shirts would look much nicer with a Na'vi orthography. :D

kewnya txamew'itan

Na'vi is definitely not a written language. Frommer has said as much.

Also, to me it doesn't look quite right, I don't know what it is about it, it just doesn't.
Internet Acronyms Nìna'vi

hamletä tìralpuseng lena'vi sngolä'eiyi. tìkangkem si awngahu ro
http://bit.ly/53GnAB
The translation of Hamlet into Na'vi has started! Join with us at http://bit.ly/53GnAB

txo nga new oehu pivlltxe nìna'vi, nga oer 'eylan si mì fayspuk (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)
If you want to speak na'vi to me, friend me on facebook (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)

numena'viyä hapxì amezamkivohinve
learnnavi's

Ayzìsìt Alenantang

Na'vi is defiendetly not a written language, aand perhaps SHOULD not be written.
Besides, we have to wait for Avatar 2 andAvatar 3 to see if the na'vi do start to write with their own original, ofiicial script. Until then, I think spending time learning one would make a bad idea.
"Tìfnu! Oel ngati tspang!"
"Silance! I kill you!"
~Achmed, the dead terrorist.

omängum fra'uti

I don't see any point in using something like this regularly.  Sure, it may look nice, but it doesn't really add anything to the language, it goes against the stated usage of the language, and it just adds something else to learn which isn't needed.  Even decoratively I have trouble envisioning a point in using something like that, because if it's not used regularly by everyone who uses the language (And it won't be) than it won't really mean anything on its own.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Tsway'eion

I was thinking about the same thing, although if there were to ever be a script, it would really be liked by everyone. That includes Frommer. I don't think its a bad idea, but i think it should stay a spoken language, because part of the real beauty of the language, is how its spoken.

Toruk Makto

IMO, having something like this getting airtime is troublesome. We simply can't start promoting peripheral additions to this language that are not sourced officially. With all due respect to the author of this symbol set, I would recommend that it not be given exposure on learnnavi.org

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Swoka Swizaw

Quote from: Txepäsiyu on January 11, 2010, 01:30:12 PM
With all due respect to the author of this symbol set, I would recommend that it not be given exposure on learnnavi.org

Not knowing whether or not Ian James present to this board, I have to assume that it wouldn't matter to him. To be sure, I can see what you all mean about Na'vi being solely a spoken language (at least, until ma Frome makes a script canon).

Ateyo te Kellett

pardon me if im wrong. but do the na'vi really write? I haven't read any of the books, so i might be wrong

Toruk Makto

The official word is that Na'vi is a spoken language only.

dotster

No, Na'vi is not a written language because the Na'vi can make tsaheylu, but then again we are not Na'vi and we cannot make tsaheylu, so we must write it somehow and we do, using the Latin alphabet. If you are so dead set on not having Na'vi as a written language then stop typing everything and start posting audio files. Come on guys, don't be thick.

Don't put this guy down. It's extremely creative what he's done, and I'm sure he put a lot of time and effort into it. It deserves nothing but respect. Here we all are, learning a language that has no practical use what-so-ever, learning just for the fun of it, and you are going to suggest that what he has done (created something just for the fun of it) was pointless and a bad idea?

My point is, this is a form of art, just like any script is, and should be treated as such. I'm sure he did not make this to become some "official" written script of the Na'vi language. If he likes Avatar so much that he studies the language, I'm sure he knows good and well that the Na'vi do not write. So for those of you like myself that enjoy things like this and care to use it personally, here is a bright and shining opportunity. Have fun!

Lythienne

pretty.  And interesting.  Yea, Na'vi is technically not written, but i'm learning the language for fun and the script is so pretty i might learn that for  fun too just because.

And to to poster above, i totally get your point, but i get everyone else's too.  You MUST understand a nerd's rabidness for cannon accuracy(heaven knows i've been known to get like that too).  Don't take it personally, and no need to be so angry :)
"You can drop the disaffected emo nerd into the jungles of Pandora, but sometimes he can't see the giant alien forest for the floating mountains." - Jim Wright

Toruk Makto

Quote from: dotster on January 12, 2010, 11:34:41 AM
No, Na'vi is not a written language because the Na'vi can make tsaheylu, but then again we are not Na'vi and we cannot make tsaheylu, so we must write it somehow and we do, using the Latin alphabet. If you are so dead set on not having Na'vi as a written language then stop typing everything and start posting audio files. Come on guys, don't be thick.

Don't put this guy down. It's extremely creative what he's done, and I'm sure he put a lot of time and effort into it. It deserves nothing but respect. Here we all are, learning a language that has no practical use what-so-ever, learning just for the fun of it, and you are going to suggest that what he has done (created something just for the fun of it) was pointless and a bad idea?

My point is, this is a form of art, just like any script is, and should be treated as such. I'm sure he did not make this to become some "official" written script of the Na'vi language. If he likes Avatar so much that he studies the language, I'm sure he knows good and well that the Na'vi do not write. So for those of you like myself that enjoy things like this and care to use it personally, here is a bright and shining opportunity. Have fun!

Nobody is being "thick", nor putting anyone down. I am simply stating that control of this language, including any written form created must be maintained by the creator of the language, Dr. Frommer.  Presenting a written form of the language is more than just "a form of art". It is creating a fundamental addition to it. Again, I am against this for all the reasons that have been stated on these forums regarding the growth and maturing of Na'Vi as a language.

Lythienne

Quote from: Txepäsiyu on January 12, 2010, 11:46:23 AM

Nobody is being "thick", nor putting anyone down. I am simply stating that control of this language, including any written form created must be maintained by the creator of the language, Dr. Frommer.  Presenting a writetn form of the language is more than just "a form of art". It is creating a fundamental addition to it. Again, I am against this for all the reasons that have been stated on these forums regarding the growth and maturing of Na'Vi as a language.

i can understand not wanting the script to be part of what the website teaches "officially," and a disclaimer that says that this script has no ties WHATSOEVER to Frommer's language or cannon would be good, but i don't see the problem with leaving the link up in case people want to learn just because.  We all (or most of us) know that Na'vi is spoken only, but we're learning a made up language, why not a made up script for the made up language (if someone is so inclined)
"You can drop the disaffected emo nerd into the jungles of Pandora, but sometimes he can't see the giant alien forest for the floating mountains." - Jim Wright

dotster

Nobody is being "thick", nor putting anyone down. I am simply stating that control of this language, including any written form created must be maintained by the creator of the language, Dr. Frommer.  Presenting a written form of the language is more than just "a form of art". It is creating a fundamental addition to it. Again, I am against this for all the reasons that have been stated on these forums regarding the growth and maturing of Na'Vi as a language.

As I said, he doesn't say anywhere: "Hey, come check out the brand new official script of the Na'vi", he just created it for personal purposes and decided to kindly share it with us should we have an interest.

I understand not wanting this site to be affiliated with promoting a script for a language which the site itself does not own the rights, but that's why this was posted in this section of the forum, and not the Beginner's forum. It's not a part of the language; it's a separate resource and should be treated as such. That's all I ask of you. Let those of us the find it interesting enjoy it.

kewnya txamew'itan

Quote from: Lythienne on January 12, 2010, 11:50:47 AM

Nobody is being "thick", nor putting anyone down. I am simply stating that control of this language, including any written form created must be maintained by the creator of the language, Dr. Frommer.  Presenting a writetn form of the language is more than just "a form of art". It is creating a fundamental addition to it. Again, I am against this for all the reasons that have been stated on these forums regarding the growth and maturing of Na'Vi as a language.

i can understand not wanting the script to be part of what the website teaches "officially," and a disclaimer that says that this script has no ties WHATSOEVER to Frommer's language or cannon would be good, but i don't see the problem with leaving the link up in case people want to learn just because.  We all (or most of us) know that Na'vi is spoken only, but we're learning a made up language, why not a made up script for the made up language (if someone is so inclined)

I'm not saying I agree with his tone but this deviates significantly from what we have been told about Na'vi (that it is a non-written language). Because of that I feel that this should receive no endorsement here. This is a cool script (I love omniglot, have for years, Gernreich is my favourite) and it does work with Na'vi phonology but it is not Na'vi, because we have been told outright that Na'vi is non-written.
Internet Acronyms Nìna'vi

hamletä tìralpuseng lena'vi sngolä'eiyi. tìkangkem si awngahu ro
http://bit.ly/53GnAB
The translation of Hamlet into Na'vi has started! Join with us at http://bit.ly/53GnAB

txo nga new oehu pivlltxe nìna'vi, nga oer 'eylan si mì fayspuk (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)
If you want to speak na'vi to me, friend me on facebook (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)

numena'viyä hapxì amezamkivohinve
learnnavi's

Erimeyz

It's quite nice; very pretty and elegant.  Kudos to the designer.

That said, I personally won't be using it, and don't expect many others to, either.

Swoka Swizaw

Let me clarify: I have not created this script. I am just a fan of the site on which the artist (conscripter), Ian James, posted it. Nor, was it not my intention to disturb the integrity of Na'vi by posting it, here. For anyone that thinks that I am being to literal for the sake of a concept, the literality is the point. Na'vi, as a "real language," has invaded our circle and we could have leaft it alone, but we chose not to. Now, we are its invaders, "entering" it and playing with what is a very real idea. Hell, somewhere, it and the Na'vi could actually exist. (Don't look at me like that...) And adding anything to that does disturb its intended simplicity.

We are forced to write it, yes, as we cannot speak it to each other, but to the point of creating an onworld script to look offworld Na'vi, toying with the integrity of that worldscape, I can see the dangers. Mr. James, if he hasn't done so, should add a disclaimer, I feel, to take all credit away from canonized Na'vi. But, www.omniglot.com is a great site for all things linguistic. It is intended as a place for something fun like a random, off-topic script like this.

In closing, let's all know it for what this is and, especially, what it is not. This, Ian James' Nav script, is NOT Na'vi, but is an Earthling's interpretation of true Na'vi.

Irayo, Eywa ayngahu!