Examining the Proportional Differences between Na'vi, Avatars and Humans

Started by Skxawng, December 25, 2009, 07:07:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluecat

Wow this is amazing!! I'm just wondering how do you actualy change your face to look more Na'vi. I'm really new to this type of stuff so can someone please tell me the tools and the process of actually forming your face to look like that.

Irayo

Skxawng

Used photoshop, use the lasso tool to select the various parts, then copy-pasted the selection into a new layer. From there, I free-transformed to scale upwards, and moved and rotated the eye to fit the proportions mentioned in this topic. Afterwards, I used the eraser with a soft brush to fuzz out the edges and blend the transformed bit into the rest of the face.

"prrkxentrrkrr is a skill best saved for only the most cunning linguist"

Swok Txon

wow great job and awesome analysis Skxawng!

very interesting indeed

Vickibrownies

Quote from: Tìng Eywatikìte'e on December 31, 2009, 11:46:32 PM
Good stuff!

Though it would be nice to see the differences between Avatars and native Na'Vi. The main things I've noticed is that Avatars can have more human noses (like with Grace), they have human hands, and have eyebrow hair. But those are only the obvious differences, I was wondering if there are differences in proportions and what not.

A big difference that I haven't seen anyone mention yet Avatars have 5 fingers Verses Na'vi 4.

Brainiac

Quote from: Vickibrownies on January 08, 2010, 05:51:49 AM
Quote from: Tìng Eywatikìte'e on December 31, 2009, 11:46:32 PM
Good stuff!

Though it would be nice to see the differences between Avatars and native Na'Vi. The main things I've noticed is that Avatars can have more human noses (like with Grace), they have human hands, and have eyebrow hair. But those are only the obvious differences, I was wondering if there are differences in proportions and what not.

A big difference that I haven't seen anyone mention yet Avatars have 5 fingers Verses Na'vi 4.
And toes!
Speed is a ppoor sbubstitue fo accurancy

Check out my blogif my presence on this board isn't weird enough for you.

marte

Don't know if this has been mentioned before, sorry if it has!

I don't think it's so much about proportions, but another difference between Na'vi and Avatars/humans is this... thing they seem to have under their chest. Only males seem to have it.

It looks like a fold in their skin. Here is a picture of Tsu'tey where you can clearly see it:

There are also times during the movie where you can see it more clearly, on other male natives who are not wearing that piece around the waist.

Txon Tsyal

Do you mean that arrow like thing between the breast plates and the cloth piece?
Personally i don`t take the Na`vi as alien because i think i understand them.

When I look on the news and see what horrible things are happening around the world I can`t help but wonder what is the source of them and therefore my own race is becoming more and more alien to me as time passes by.

Does that make any sense?

Ftiafpi

Quote from: Txon Tsyal on January 09, 2010, 03:46:32 PM
Do you mean that arrow like thing between the breast plates and the cloth piece?

I believe that's what he means, yes.

Tefpakyu

-Tefpakyu-

Txon Tsyal

Hm, odd, i wonder is it just to add a bit of detail to Na`vi males, or it actually has its purpose.
Personally i don`t take the Na`vi as alien because i think i understand them.

When I look on the news and see what horrible things are happening around the world I can`t help but wonder what is the source of them and therefore my own race is becoming more and more alien to me as time passes by.

Does that make any sense?

Tengfya swizaw

Maybe it reinforces the ribcage or sternum in some way, although if it were a practical bone structure I doubt it would be that flamboyant or sharp-looking.

Here's to not knowing exactly what you're saying and having fun with it.

Proud founder of the DeviantART Learn Na'vi group!
http://learnnavi.deviantart.com/

Lora Taw

Quote from: marte on January 08, 2010, 03:03:56 PM
Don't know if this has been mentioned before, sorry if it has!

I don't think it's so much about proportions, but another difference between Na'vi and Avatars/humans is this... thing they seem to have under their chest. Only males seem to have it.

It looks like a fold in their skin. Here is a picture of Tsu'tey where you can clearly see it:

There are also times during the movie where you can see it more clearly, on other male natives who are not wearing that piece around the waist.
ive noticed the same thing and i would go so far as to say it is some sort of bone structure because it looks hard as opposed to how a flap of skin wouldnt be as such. if you notice, most of the pieces they wear around their waist's are tailored so that the middle fits around the diamond shaped part in the middle. i dont know why. but it is interesting

marte

Quote from: sevintaw on January 13, 2010, 03:42:53 AM
i would go so far as to say it is some sort of bone structure
Definitely, I thought so as well.

Quote from: sevintaw on January 13, 2010, 03:42:53 AM
if you notice, most of the pieces they wear around their waist's are tailored so that the middle fits around the diamond shaped part in the middle. i dont know why. but it is interesting
So it seems! It is interesting.

It's a small detail, but one I absolutely loved about the Na'vi. :)

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

Regarding to the Tsu'tey picture, It appears to me that there might be a sort of reinforcement structure possibly in, under, or connecting muscular areas. I'm assuming since they have carbon-fiber reinforced bones that the plates may be carbon plates. Assuming the Na'vi share a father back ancestry with some of the other armored creatures, they could have evolved to a much smaller and more flexible verion of the armor inside of there skin. With this increased mobility they would no long need six limbs to get around as well.

But then the arguement could be made that why don't they have both for even more mobility, I think that having 4 limbs is much easier to control than having 6. (moving 4 arms is much harder to coordinate than 2)
Naruto Shippuden Episode 166: Confession
                                    Watch it, Love it, Live it

Lora Taw

well i dont think cooridating 6 limbs would be difficult for a creature that was born with and grew up using them

Elfenlied

Quote from: marte on January 08, 2010, 03:03:56 PM

I had not noticed that, I'll be sure to take that into account when I do my male sculpt. :D
Shades of the dead are sliding on the walls,
Demons dance in the castle hall.
Female Na'Vi Sculpt--><--Female Na'Vi Sculpt

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

Quote from: sevintaw on January 17, 2010, 01:09:35 AM
well i dont think cooridating 6 limbs would be difficult for a creature that was born with and grew up using them

Regardless it might get used to them but it would still be more than twice as difficult to control double the arms requiring more use of their brain power.

Lora Taw

Quote from: Nìwotxkrr Tsahameylu on January 17, 2010, 12:16:20 PM
Quote from: sevintaw on January 17, 2010, 01:09:35 AM

Regardless it might get used to them but it would still be more than twice as difficult to control double the arms requiring more use of their brain power.

then i imagine that their brains would be more developed in a way that would allow them to cooridnate their limbs. if you pay attention to when the jake first goes into his avatar. they have a 3D readout of the Na'vi brain next to Jake's and you can see that they are actually structured different.

i dont know how to go about finding a picture of that scene but if anyone can, that would be appreciated. i think it fits into this topic nicely. and i dont know if many people noticed that.

i dont think its that far of a stretch maNiwotxkrr to imagine 6 armed na'vi being able to control their arms. i see it kind of like how if snakes were sentient they would wonder how we can cooridnate our 4 limbs. its really natural for us, but the snake just cant comprehend how we do it.

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

What I'm saying is that moving 2 extra limbs and coordinating them with the rest would probably require twice the brain power even though they would still see it as easy.