Na'vi, Avatars, Noses and You

Started by Skxawng, January 10, 2010, 06:29:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skxawng

My avatarizing timelapse just passed 1000 views !!

As this is my first video I am absolutely tickled, I was doubtful that it would get more than 2, or 300.

Thanks for watching, you guys are awesome :)

"prrkxentrrkrr is a skill best saved for only the most cunning linguist"

Eyamsiyu

You're welcome, man!  I just wish I had the time and the software to Na'vi-ize myself.  But whatev: the pic I have will do for a while.

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

My facebook.  Please mention you are from LN if you ch

Meuia te Stxeli Tstew'itan

Mmmm nice, This was a very interesting read.
Fìtsenge kifkey nìswey livu txo ayoe nìNa'vi perlltxeie. Ngal 'awstengyem olo'it fpi tskxekeng.

Kätsyín te Zotxekay Tsyal’itan

And to think, his name is Skxanwg.

You, sir, are far from it. I would never have the time to do something this detailed.
old gallery link?id=1831[/img]

LearnNavi Forums:
"It's not an addiction...I just need it everyday."

Atanä mungeyu

i just have one question to skxawng:
how come you are the best avatarizer i know but you don't have an avatarized img for your profile?
eywa ayngahu,
atanä mungeyu
I haz teh DVD yaaaayy xD

nederlandse pocket guide door mij en txura tirea.

Eyamsiyu

Maybe it's his own form of self-righteousness: help others with his talent but never for himself.

But I still wonder as well...

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

My facebook.  Please mention you are from LN if you ch

^Could be......still a great person though.

LearnNavi Forums:

Skxawng

Quote from: Tukruyä Tsamsiyu on February 07, 2010, 10:50:13 AM

:D  you people are too kind :P

my first attempt at Avatarization i kind of hate, and I haven't had time to do a better version. Plus I think Admiral Dolphin is Hilarious and easily distinguishable from others :)

Atanä mungeyu

Quote from: Skxawng on February 07, 2010, 01:27:22 PM
Quote from: Tukruyä Tsamsiyu on February 07, 2010, 10:50:13 AM
:D  you people are too kind :P
my first attempt at Avatarization i kind of hate, and I haven't had time to do a better version. Plus I think Admiral Dolphin is Hilarious and easily distinguishable from others :)
i thought so, i kinda thought that an artist making himself is hard to satisfy,
and btw admiral dolphin FTW, easily distinguishable fer sho, i don't need to see your name and i know it's you XD
PS: i hope were not too kind for you XD ;),
eywa ayngahu,
atanä mungeyu
I haz teh DVD yaaaayy xD

nederlandse pocket guide door mij en txura tirea.

Frankie HyenaDog

These tutorials are so insanely helpful!
the problem for me isn't understanding the ideas behind them...its getting my hand to do whats in my brain... >8[
I suppose I'll stick to poking at 3D clay to make Na'vi peoples. XD

I guess its because I think in 3D. Sculpture comes naturally to me, but transferring it to a 2D media throws me off...Which is why much of my 2D artwork is very simple while my 3D works can be quite complicated.

Oh well. lol
So what if I'm a furry?

Skxawng

I know exactly what you mean. I consider myself a sculptor first, and an illustrator second, and I think about things sculpturally. It helps for my job, as frequently I have to do call-outs of an illustration that is going to be made in 3D and animated, so I must consider how all of the parts of what I am creating work together. I've struggled throughout the writing of this topic and the creation of the videos to try and describe the sort of analytical understanding I have of the na'vi nose in a way that is easily digestible.

I think perhaps the reason you're thrown by 2D is because you're approaching it only two dimensionally.  When I paint I try to think about sculpting the object in tone or color, not simply drawing the outlines, or shading what I see. Analyze your subject and use tones or color to carve the figure or shape. Imagine that the object is 3D and consider how light strikes the contours and topology, break down the subject into base shapes and add complexity.

You artists are still the lucky bunch, my skill set in art is restricted to stick people. LOL

LearnNavi Forums:

Frankie HyenaDog

Quote from: Skxawng on February 08, 2010, 01:45:07 AM
I know exactly what you mean. I consider myself a sculptor first, and an illustrator second, and I think about things sculpturally. It helps for my job, as frequently I have to do call-outs of an illustration that is going to be made in 3D and animated, so I must consider how all of the parts of what I am creating work together. I've struggled throughout the writing of this topic and the creation of the videos to try and describe the sort of analytical understanding I have of the na'vi nose in a way that is easily digestible.

I think perhaps the reason you're thrown by 2D is because you're approaching it only two dimensionally.  When I paint I try to think about sculpting the object in tone or color, not simply drawing the outlines, or shading what I see. Analyze your subject and use tones or color to carve the figure or shape. Imagine that the object is 3D and consider how light strikes the contours and topology, break down the subject into base shapes and add complexity.

That could be my problem. I do prefer to work in 3D, but I have limited space.
And much of the time, while I can see whatever I'm drawing in my head, I just can't seem to transfer it to paper. Like, my hand lacks the skills my brain has. Its frustrating.
So what if I'm a furry?

Like I said, true artists are lucky. They can exude emotion in their pieces. Stick artists like myself are mostly limited to comic-relief.

LearnNavi Forums:

archaic

Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Le'eylan

Krro krro pamrel seri fìtsengmì, alu oey pìlok leNa'vi
Sometimes writing here, on my Na'vi blog
=^● ⋏ ●^=

Taronyu

Muzer

To be fair it is a sticky thread so was at the top of the list anyway - in most forums reviving a sticky isn't seen as too big a deal. Don't know about this one, it seems to be quite different to most forums I'm on, even as far as terminology (this is the only forum I've been on that calls it necroposting rather than reviving).
[21:42:56] <@Muzer> Apple products used to be good, if expensive
[21:42:59] <@Muzer> now they are just expensive

Taronyu

Was it? My bad. That's what I get for decided to spot-mod.  ::)

Tsuksìm atsawl (KaPTan)

i now can't stop touching my nose, thanks a million  >:( ::)
Also a member of the podcast known as Avatar Nation.  Come listen to our stuff! like us on facebook and chech out our blog at Avatar-Nation.net.