Red Navi

Started by Tolhaller, May 03, 2010, 07:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkiou

Nyx

Looks great! The arm is a nice addition :D

Elektrolurch

But I found one mistake: Why does she have three teeth in front? :D
Volt, Watt, Ampere, Ohm, ohne mich gibt's keinen Strom!

Tolhaller

;D well, if I was able to post a larger image you would see she does have a 4th tooth that curves away from the viewer. I'll attach her mouth to see if it's any clearer :D The canine protrudes below and behind it. Maybe I should make that clearer.

Elektrolurch

Ah, now I see. ;D Sorry for I overlooked it. :)
Volt, Watt, Ampere, Ohm, ohne mich gibt's keinen Strom!

Tolhaller

Thanks all for the wonderful comments.

Tolhaller

Quote from: nìTsìng Lekinama Tswayonyu on May 05, 2010, 04:43:54 PM
Where did you learn to digital paint? I've always wanted to learn, but I don't know where to start...

That isn't easy to answer really. I didn't really try digital portraits until Avatar came out, so that kind of gave me the impetus. I used to pencil sketch faces, but learnt most of that by reading websites and watching vids, to get used to drawing forms and structures of facial features. Draw them enough times you start to get an idea of what each facial feature is all about. You learn what structures make up the feature.  For instance, there are no clear images of the red Navi, so had to use my own judgement for details, like the teeth and eyes, ear etc, but I couldn't have done that without the knowledge I'd picked up elsewhere.

All I can suggest is that you do what I did. Find a photo of an eye and paint a digital eye. Look at everything around the eye, the curvature of everything, how the eyelids curve around the eye, the tear duct shape, etc. Shade the part of the eyeball that disappears into the socket darker to help this roundness. Then try a nose, an ear a mouth. Use the colours of the photo to help you get a feel for the shading required.

The great thing with digital art is that mistakes can be erased instantly. So don't be frightened to make errors.  I'm still learning. I see paintings that are wonderfully beautiful and wish I could do that.

There are quite a lot of sites that help with things like Photoshop layers, which are important tools. I use Photoshop Elements 7.0. It is enough for my needs.

Kätsyín te Zotxekay Tsyal’itan

Great job.

Karma for you.
old gallery link?id=1831[/img]

LearnNavi Forums:
"It's not an addiction...I just need it everyday."