Main Menu

Sänumeyu as a Na'vi

Started by Ftiafpi, February 15, 2010, 11:48:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ftiafpi

So, this is my first Na'vi I've done after watching Skxawng's tutorial. Did this for our good friend Sänumeyu. A vast improvement over the first few I've done (especially my own, since that was done first). I think it came out fairly well considering I'm not particularly good at photoshop. Anyway, just throwing this out there.

Eaite Randjam

Very nice job!  He looks so... I don't know... docile looking?  It might be the soft complexion and soft shadows.

Ftiafpi

Quote from: Eaite Randjam on February 15, 2010, 11:57:41 PM
Very nice job!  He looks so... I don't know... docile looking?  It might be the soft complexion and soft shadows.

He reminds me a lot of Norm. The cool part is I just made him into a Na'vi and his own expressions and facial features brought out the soft complexion and "Norm" look.

Skxawng

Muuuch better ma ftiafpi!

The main issue I think that was holding you back in your previous ones was the amount of blue in the skin, and here we can see a good deal more, which definitely makes the skin read as blue, instead of 'colorized skin blue'

The nose also looks nice and organic, though I'd pull the edge of the nostril hole (the dark bit) on the right side up and around the outside of the nose a little bit, but that is a tiny nitpick.

Some more small nitpicks:
- I would make the irises just a *tad* larger
- the inner part of the eye needs some black skin - you'll notice in a lot of closeups of the face that Na'vi and Avatars almost seem to have a black sclera on the inside of their eye. Its hard to explain, but the best thing you can do here is to make the tear duct black, and slightly larger than normal human proportions.
- I'd draw the septum down about another 15-20 pixels.

The biggest suggestion I can give, though, is to get a sharper picture with stronger light - the light seems so general its hard to read the topology of the face, and that the picture is blurry to begin with doesn't help this.

That said, you've come a long way mate, well done

"prrkxentrrkrr is a skill best saved for only the most cunning linguist"

Ftiafpi

Quote from: Skxawng on February 16, 2010, 09:47:56 AM
Muuuch better ma ftiafpi!

The main issue I think that was holding you back in your previous ones was the amount of blue in the skin, and here we can see a good deal more, which definitely makes the skin read as blue, instead of 'colorized skin blue'

The nose also looks nice and organic, though I'd pull the edge of the nostril hole (the dark bit) on the right side up and around the outside of the nose a little bit, but that is a tiny nitpick.

Some more small nitpicks:
- I would make the irises just a *tad* larger
- the inner part of the eye needs some black skin - you'll notice in a lot of closeups of the face that Na'vi and Avatars almost seem to have a black sclera on the inside of their eye. Its hard to explain, but the best thing you can do here is to make the tear duct black, and slightly larger than normal human proportions.
- I'd draw the septum down about another 15-20 pixels.

The biggest suggestion I can give, though, is to get a sharper picture with stronger light - the light seems so general its hard to read the topology of the face, and that the picture is blurry to begin with doesn't help this.

That said, you've come a long way mate, well done

Yeah, I agree with all the nitpicks. I had actually forgotten about the sclera, I'll see if I can touch that one up and fix the other bits.

As for the image, yeah, it was what I had to work with but, yes, better lighting and clarity would obviously help.

Irayo ma oeyä tsmukan. Ngeyä reltseo sì tìsrung lu txantsan na krr nìwotx.