a chinese children's rain song!

Started by judytuna, December 29, 2010, 10:07:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

judytuna

It's rained pretty hard yesterday, so here is a song my siblings and I used to sing whenever it rained!

http://oeyautral.skxawng.lu/m/sounds/view/chinese-it-s-raining-children-s-song   to hear me sing it at 5:30am in chinese HRH

chinese lyrics:
淅哩哩哩嘩啦啦啦
雨下來了,
我的媽媽
帶著雨傘
來接我,
淅哩哩哩嘩啦啦啦
啦啦啦啦

in pinyin:
xi li xi li, hua la hua la
yu xia lai liao!
wo de mama
na ze yu san
lai jieh wo!
xi li xi li hua la hua la
lai lai lai lai!

english translation by me lol:
Pitter patter pitter patter, (onomatopoeia for rain sounds)
the rain has started to fall down!
My mommy,
holding an umbrella,
comes to pick me up!
Pitter patter pitter patter,
la la la-la! (just singing)

(I posted a lot about it on my friend's site hrh: http://lore.interi.org/forum/topic/rain-songs ... I get kind of obsessed about things sometimes)

So of course it should be translated into Na'vi cuz it rains on Pandora too.

rain: tompa (noun)
fall: zup (v. in.)

Tompa z<er>up.
Rain is falling.

mommy: sa'nu (n)
bring: munge (v.tr.)
big: tsawl (adj)
leaf: rìk (n)
shelter/protect: hawnu (v.tr.)
meet with someone intentionally: ultxa si (v.in.)

Sa'nu-ri munge tsawla rìk-it. Ultxa si oe-ti.
Mommy brings a big leaf. She meets me. HRH Does this work? Am I using -ri right?

Or maybe this instead....
Oe-yä Sa'nu-l m<er>unge twala rì-t oe-ru.
My mommy is bringing a big leaf to me.

Are there are idiomatic ways to express "it's raining!" or "it's begun to rain!" that I just don't know about?

I need a Na'vi-istic onomatopoeia for the "xi li hua la / splish splash / pitter patter" of rain!!!! How do you think hì'i Na'vis would imitate the sound of rain falling on the forest and gushing down leaves and running by in brooks?

si li si li, wa la wa la?

tsi li tsi li, wa la wa la?

Would a Na'vi mom never pick up her child after school carrying a big leaf to shelter the kid, cuz Na'vi people like hanging out in the rain? One thinks of Totoro's leaf.

Now, of course, it is dawn and I can see blue sky. O California. You can't make up your mind, you beautiful tempestuous thing. And I can't sleep at night. Hello, morning.

Plumps

Ma Judy, again you found a wonderful and beautiful song that would fit perfectly into the Na'vi world. And your voice is fantastic!

For 'umbrella' you probably could also use lew, n. 'cover'

Unfortunately, we lack onomatopoeia as of yet, if you don't count kxangangang or rawke

Don't forget the hu tuteo in 'meet somebody intentionally'. So, it would be ultxa si hu oe / oehu.

I like the second line you suggested.

Var tìkangkem sivi
;)

judytuna

"Mommy brings a cover for me"   is good, but less funny than "Mommy brings a big leaf for me." Though I guess we could make it say "Mommy brings a big leaf to cover me" but I am no good at complicated stuff like that. HRH

<3

I was sad because I think nobody looks in this section. Do you think I should move it over to "beginner" ? Because it's not exactly "fan music" .... it's more of a "beginner's translation" don't you think?

How about making up an onomatopoeia with na'vi syllables that sound like xili xili (drip dripping) huala huala (river rushing) ... I guess we'd have to find na'vi syllables that are legal.

Is "shi" legal? "li" ?

oops, hu

Plumps

Your version with the leave is fine and fits perfect into the Na'vi/Pandoran context.

shi is illegal in Na'vi because the sh sound doesn't exist, but then again, we have expressions like oìsss. li is legal, so is huala if you just want to take over the sounds without any specific meaning. Think of all the children's songs with nonsense sounds just for the sake of rhythm ;)

It is sad indeed.
It could go into the beginner section. Could also go in the "Your Projects" ... With the translations of the Christmas Songs and its aftermath, I was thinking about a Na'vi Nì'aw Music section. Would have the advantage that we would have a kind of 'corpus' of music nìNa'vi collected in one place.
You would have to ask a mod or admin to do the moving if you want it

judytuna

Quote from: Plumps on January 02, 2011, 04:56:35 AM
...all the children's songs with nonsense sounds just for the sake of rhythm ;)

That's exactly what xilixilihualahuala is in the original =)

Quote from: Plumps on January 02, 2011, 04:56:35 AM
It is sad indeed.
It could go into the beginner section. Could also go in the "Your Projects" ... With the translations of the Christmas Songs and its aftermath, I was thinking about a Na'vi Nì'aw Music section. Would have the advantage that we would have a kind of 'corpus' of music nìNa'vi collected in one place.
You would have to ask a mod or admin to do the moving if you want it

That would be cool =) A 'corpus' of 'Rta music translated and sung nìNa'vi! Which is different from original Na'vi compositions/songs.

Such a corpus would be a good learning tool, as well. We had a WHOLE LOT of other children's songs in this thread, too: http://forum.learnnavi.org/fan-music/old-mc-donald-song/

Tsäroltxe te Eyrutì Tantse'itan

judytuna

Irayo ma Tsäroltxe =D Do you have any suggestions? haha

Or any favorite children's song? Let's make this a whole flourishing sub-genre of Na'vi fandom, HRH. It's like secretly getting people to learn Na'vi without them realizing it. I myself am NOT a Na'vi expert, not by any stretch of the imagination, but this is forcing me to go look up stuff in the dictionary and expand my vocab a little tiny bit. So it IS useful!!!!

<3