my first steps toward Na'vi lyrics

Started by DukeDrake, December 28, 2009, 07:10:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DukeDrake

I'm trying to translate a bit of nursery rhyme into Na'vi to get a better feel for word-ordering (which seems mercifully lax) and rhyming/meter, with the intent of translating something (I don't know what, yet) that can be set to music. I've got a rough first pass, but I can't tell how far off track I've gone.

QuoteStar's light,   star great,
tahni-ti atan-ta,   tahni-ti nawm-lu

first star      I see      this night,
'awve-a tahni-ri   oe-l ts<ol>e'a   fi-txon,

I want   to ask,   I want   it perhaps be,
Oe-l neu   pawm,   oe-l neu   po kxawm-lu

Grant me      this want,   I want   this night.
Teswoting oe-ru   fineu,      oe-l neu   fi-txon.

It does still rhyme, but it's probably a mess. Any suggestions are welcome.

Hopefully if I can eventually get something reasonably lyrical, I can pester someone into recording a quick verse. I would almost certainly need to provide a phonetic copy, but that's a small and distant hurdle.

omängum fra'uti

Granted, poetry and songs often take liberties with grammar, but it's best to know exactly what liberties you are taking before you take them, so with that in mind...

tahni-ti atan-ta,   tahni-ti nawm-lu
The -ti suffix isn't really proper there.  Assuming it were a transitive verb, you'd still want -l instead of -ti.  One fragment forms a clause, the other doesn't, it seems like it would make sense to either make both a clause or join them somehow.  While atan-ta has some interesting meter to it, it is not proper for an adjective.  Star from-bright?  I'd recommend...
atan-a tahni lu, nawm-a tahni lu
or
atan-a tahni sì nawm-a tahni lu

'awve-a tahni-ri   oe-l ts<ol>e'a   fi-txon,
Looks mostly fine, though I think fì-txon needs an adposition to express that it's happening this night, otherwise it's confusing just having a noun out there.  Probably fa or mì would be appropriate, though I'm not 100% happy with either.
'awve-a tahni-ri oe-l ts<ol>e'a mì fì-txon

Oe-l neu   pawm,   oe-l neu   po kxawm-lu
I'm going to go out on a limb on this one, and say that rather than po for "it", try something like fì-kem - this action.  I'm not sure that would be the correct way to combine wanting with asking, but I'm not sure what the correct way would be.
Oe-l neu pawm, oe-l neu fì-kem kxawm-lu

Teswoting oe-ru   fineu,      oe-l neu   fi-txon.
You can't really say "fìneu" because neu is a verb.  But you could probably get away with "fìtìneu".  Or you could repeat fì-kem from above.
Teswotìng oe-ru fì-tì-neu, oe-l neu mì fì-txon
or
Teswotìng oe-ru fì-kem, oe-l neu mì fì-txon

Also probably pepper in a few <ei> and maybe <ay> in the verbs to show the hopefulness, and future prospect of it.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Quote from: DukeDrake on December 28, 2009, 07:10:10 AM
I'm trying to translate a bit of nursery rhyme into Na'vi to get a better feel for word-ordering (which seems mercifully lax) and rhyming/meter, with the intent of translating something (I don't know what, yet) that can be set to music. I've got a rough first pass, but I can't tell how far off track I've gone.

QuoteStar's light,   star great,
tahni-ti atan-ta,   tahni-ti nawm-lu

first star      I see      this night,
'awve-a tahni-ri   oe-l ts<ol>e'a   fi-txon,

I want   to ask,   I want   it perhaps be,
Oe-l neu   pawm,   oe-l neu   po kxawm-lu

Grant me      this want,   I want   this night.
Teswoting oe-ru   fineu,      oe-l neu   fi-txon.

It does still rhyme, but it's probably a mess. Any suggestions are welcome.

Hopefully if I can eventually get something reasonably lyrical, I can pester someone into recording a quick verse. I would almost certainly need to provide a phonetic copy, but that's a small and distant hurdle.

I support you! I salute your efforts!

omängum fra'uti is the grand master of grammar here, but keep going! let nothing dissuade you. :-)
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

Nume fpi sänume

Wow, that was really great. Yeah, don't let our grammar guy make you feel bad, i try to read one of his posts and I get lost. The beginners section is where I still call home :P

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Quote from: Nume fpi sänume on January 09, 2010, 03:05:56 AM
Wow, that was really great. Yeah, don't let our grammar guy make you feel bad, i try to read one of his posts and I get lost. The beginners section is where I still call home :P

Yeah, you left YOUR gear on MY bunk last night. So I shoved it over on Miller's bunk. Let him deal with it. Man, I hate living in a barracks! No room for personal items.
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

Kiliyä

Peu sa'nokyä ayoengyä?  Pefya ayoeng poeru kìte'e sayi?
Pefya ayoengìl poeti hayawnu, na poel ayoengit hawnu?

What of our mother?  How shall we serve her?  How shall we protect her as she protects us?

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

Quote from: dustywhite on January 09, 2010, 02:46:38 AM
I support you! I salute your efforts!

omängum fra'uti is the grand master of grammar here, but keep going! let nothing dissuade you. :-)

I love advice from the know-it-all I've learned so much from him, If you've noticed I've sort of become his opposite.
Naruto Shippuden Episode 166: Confession
                                    Watch it, Love it, Live it