Main Menu

Na'vi Rap (ish)

Started by Zalorticus, December 26, 2009, 06:50:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zalorticus

This is probably pretty bad, but I tryed  :).

Na'vi Pride

Yeah, this story about the Na'vi and all the trouble they've been through.
The way they speak, it makes me wanna be one too.
Their culture, it fascinates me, every bit.
If I could, I'd jump at the chance for it.
About that story, I'll start it now.
Right after this verse, so stop havin' a cow.
The R-D-A, you know they're rich.
They wanted more, so they came to this,
Moon they called, Pan-dor-a
Which happened to be, chock full of
tall blue people, called the Na'vi
which wouldn't listen when they were told to leave.
This started a war, in which many died
but from a marine, who'd just defied
the orders he was given by his boss
just because he couldn't stand the loss
of The People, who saw Kelutral burn
he saw them cry, and he started to yearn
for more than his life could give him now
he turned to Neytiri to show him how.

It's not done yet, but I am getting tired...Constructive critizism is welcomed!
Failure is the mother of success.
Soon, we will no longer be the leaves on the wind, but the wind itself.
You don't have to be a scholar to be a leader.
Join the real life Na'vi tribe here  (And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, NOT a role play tribe!)

Txur’Itan

You got rhyme, you need more flow.

Good word choice, but think about the beat more, try to think of a time signature that would lean more on flight, like ikran wing flaps.  The rap song needs to play like an instrument.
私は太った男だ。

Zalorticus

I was just trying to think of something to follow. Thanks!
Failure is the mother of success.
Soon, we will no longer be the leaves on the wind, but the wind itself.
You don't have to be a scholar to be a leader.
Join the real life Na'vi tribe here  (And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, NOT a role play tribe!)

Eyamsiyu

"keeping a beat."  I have issues with this as a drummer, but not what this sentence indicates.  Music never really has to flow, but it needs to be "in the pocket," meaning it is on time, regardless of feel.

If you've been around music long enough, you know that you can make any form of a "tuplet."  For example, I've seen music with 4:3 (four 16th notes over three), 9:2 (9 16th notes over two quarter notes), and the list goes on and on.

Just because something doesn't divide down into quarters, eights, 16th, triplets, or sextuplets, doesn't mean it cannot be modified to fit into a measure.  Heck, if you need to, I can write a rhythm/beat to articulate to, and it will work out: just give me a time signature, and I'll do it.

So, yeah... there it is. Any help, feel free to ask ;)

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

My facebook.  Please mention you are from LN if you ch

Txur’Itan

Quote from: Au'ekong on December 26, 2009, 07:24:12 PM
"keeping a beat."  I have issues with this as a drummer, but not what this sentence indicates.  Music never really has to flow, but it needs to be "in the pocket," meaning it is on time, regardless of feel.

If you've been around music long enough, you know that you can make any form of a "tuplet."  For example, I've seen music with 4:3 (four 16th notes over three), 9:2 (9 16th notes over two quarter notes), and the list goes on and on.

Just because something doesn't divide down into quarters, eights, 16th, triplets, or sextuplets, doesn't mean it cannot be modified to fit into a measure.  Heck, if you need to, I can write a rhythm/beat to articulate to, and it will work out: just give me a time signature, and I'll do it.

So, yeah... there it is. Any help, feel free to ask ;)

Understood, significantly variable time signatures is not common in the conventnioal rap I have heard/listened to, so my assertion was just based on an opinion not a rule.

Drummers do many variable time signatures, but I see a ton of DR RHYTHM machines in the hands of casual rap singers, I doubt vaiable rhythmm is easy to do with those "toys", but if you want to actually drum, I definately see how it can work.

The statement of flow comes from word arrangement, if you listen to emnem, which I am betting you have done, you can get a sense of his "FLOW" from his choices in word arrangement, not time signature.
私は太った男だ。

Eyamsiyu

True, but even various forms of these 'tuplets I mentioned above can help set the flow when words don't seem to stick within your standard subdivisions.  Say I have a line that would sound really good as a string of three 16th, ending on a downbeat of four, but has one more syllable than what you wanted, and there is no way to resolve it differently.  making a set of four 16ths into a quintuplet over one beat is a way to solve it.

... and I have to be frank to you, vidvamp01: you're using the term "time signature" in the wrong context.  Subdivisions is, more or less, the right term.

Time signatures:

Odd tuplets (with the most basic known form shown here):

I see you're point to what you are trying to convey, and I agree.  And I agree that flow is very important when it comes to writing rap lyrics.  But using the power of "tuplets" can always be considered on any instrument for any phrase to be complete when one does not want to take out any pre-existing elements involved.

Something to consider as well: flow doesn't necessarily mean to stick with the standard time signatures either (4/4, 3/4, 12/8).  I've heard plenty of popular music that flows extremely well when put into time signatures such as 5/4, 7/4, 9/8, or even 13/16.  the first two are more prevelant than any of these, however.

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

Txur’Itan

Thanks for correcting me.  I misunderstood some things. 
私は太った男だ。

Eyamsiyu

It's all good, man.  I guess you could say I'm quite the musical-terminology Nazi.  Because for those who KNOW the terms, when it's used incorrectly, it drives one crazy trying to understand what they mean.

Although this can't go without saying, there are a LOT of musical terms that will get mixed up a lot.  This discussion here was an example.