ATEYO TeSYAKSYUK: TSULFATU

Started by Ateyo Te Syaksyuk, January 10, 2012, 01:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ateyo Te Syaksyuk

320)~The afternoon wore on.  The medical crew  was kept busy patching up the walking wounded.  Everyone was so engrossed by the successive battles that meals were forgotten. Emergency rations were passed around the crowd whose eyes were riveted to the mo, the clearing which served as the arena. They had to improvise with pxornalor, Jiffy Pop, that Ka'alani had found and whatever seylu, grubs, she could scare up.   She even found a handful of the rare green larvae found only in the Floating Mountains.  She surprised Tai with this steli, gift.  "My favorites!  How did you know?!"  said Tai.  "Tse, your Cuz tol' me, nìlun!"
   Almost every unitìrantokx now had an ikran and the bloody wounds to prove it.  The only ones left were Captain Janet Henderson, Colonel Schroeder, and Max.  "Captain H, you are next!" announced JakeSully. Janet scrambled to her feet.  Her muntxate, Tovrey'itan pulled her aside for a Good Luck Kiss. Then Tai pulled her aside for a quick pep talk.  "Janet. Once he has chosen you, he will make it hard for you.  He wants a worthy opponent, but he will play Hard to Get."
   "Hard to get?" Janet gasped, "Major!! Haven't you seen these fights?  Nearly killing someone is NOT what I'd call, Playing Hard To Get."
   "Tse, they don't want it to look TOO easy.  You are every bit as muscular as I, but no where near as strong as an ikran. If you go stength on strength with him, he would win.  Use your head.  Look for an opportunity and trick him!  Now go out there and make me proud!"  Janet Henderson nodded once, put on her Game Face and strode out to the mo, the clearing, spinning her bolo in one hand.  Her worthy opponent flexed his bluish-purple wings and snapped at her as he jumped.  Her whirling bolo found the target, SMACK on his nose.  She counted on startling him enough to run PAST him with enough momentum to spring onto the wall and richochet from there onto his back.  An image of a Bruce Lee fight scene in a narrow darkened alley flashed through her memory banks; an image from the ancient 'Rrta vid collection.  Teeth flashed through her reverie, bringing an end to her momentary distraction. "That could have been fatal." she thought grimly.  "Now to get you MUZZLED!"  He was willing to give her another opportunity to slap the bolo around his jaws because he continued to snake his neck around his back.  But she had succeeded in slithering up to his shoulder blades where he couldn't reach.  "NOW I GOTCHA!" But he truly did NOT appreciate having his jaws taped shut.  As she grabbed up one of his tswin, he ducked his chin and sent her somersaulting through the air.  Instinctively, she did a one and a half gainer, flipping through the air, landing in a crouch facing him. Six inches away from his eye.  She had NOT let go of of his tswin.  His head was nearly upside down.  "Cry Uncle!" she shouted.  "Where did THAT memory come from?"  As she joined meswin she remembered twisting someone's arm behind his back in a similar fashion.  That image was conveyed to the ikran, whose dilated menari cried UNCLE.
   This was odd.  This little creature was now sending such loving thoughts and promise of unity, that he forgot his struggle.  His reptilian brain wanted only the satisfaction of this continued tsaheylu.  Slowly, as she allowed him to get up, she untwisted his tswin by stepping over.  "Der Fenster!"  she thought and remembered a German Dance where the couple danced under each other's arms while holding hands, to create "A Window" and danced backwards to unwind their arms.  Her ikran didn't understand what he was seeing or hearing, But he was certainly entertained by the variety of images this little creature conveyed.  But now his only desire was to launch into the air and dance with her.

Ateyo Te Syaksyuk

321)~ JakeSully laughed to see the loving couple plummet over the 'aukx.  "NEXT!"  but he was eyeballing Colonel Schroeder.  The Colonel had proven to be an adept hunter on foot and on pa'li.  He did not have to be asked twice to choose an ikran.  His eyes glittered madly as Tai accosted him. "Remember Colonel.  You want to bond with him. Not KILL him!"  Hans smirked at that bit of droll military humor, but could not repress his grin.  He presented himself in the center of the mo, twirling his bolo.  A large green and bronze colored ikran scrambled to meet him with a snarl.  The Colonel did not back down, but continued to twirl his bolo, slowly yet deliberately.  "Now we can do this the easy way or the hard way. Which will it ..."  before he could utter the word BE the ikran leapt at him and snapped at his face.  "OK the hard way," and he hissed at the ikran.  The ikran met his challenge with a mighty roar.  Like lightning the Colonel shot his hand into the ikran's mouth and grabbed its tongue.  All four of the ikranyä aymenari, all four of the ikran's eyes seemed to pop out of it's head.  He did not dare bite down or pull too hard. But he reached forward with his wing knuckle and tried to pry off the offending creature.  He drew blood but Hans Schroeder reflexively twisted harder on his tongue, which caused the ikran, reflexively to leap in the air. Now that his tongue was freed he tried to locate the perpetrator.  But as the ikran had leapt into the air, Schroeder had run to his haunches and RAN up his back, much as Twiti Castillo had done.  But the ikran dropped his head when he felt feet on shoulders.  Hans was pitched forward but managed to straddle the creature's neck as he slid all the way to its head. Now Shroeder was right behind those unmuzzled jaws. So he locked his ankles and held onto the base of the meswin.  This ikran, like Twiti's, was also hopping mad.  But he was also trying to skewer the Colonel with the sharp talon of his wing knuckles.  He was successful in bludgeoning Hans with his knuckles and forced him to loose his grip.  He was happy to have knocked the annoying blue creature off his back.  He could easily kill him at this moment; if that was truly his intention.  Instead he reared his head back, at a safe distance, and let out another roar.  "OK THEN! ROUND TWO!" roared the Colonel.
   JullySully was laughing to hear Tai shouting, "Screw the points for form!  Just MUZZLE the dang thing!"  Luckily, the ikran had slammed Hans down not far where the match had started.  Hans scrambled for the bolo and thought, "Not a bad idea."  The teeth were quickly approaching so he rolled to one side, and from a crouched position, snapped out the bolo in an underhand move that surprised the ikran by means of a bottom trajectory.  Having been coached by the Great Toruk Makto he wrapped his legs around the head.  Not to be overcome so easily, the ikran began to pivot his head from side to side, bruising Hans on one flank and then the other successively until the ikran tired himself out. "Knocked your own brains out, did'n'cha?"  At which point Hans grabbed one of its tswin and his own.  He heard the ikran and himself both inhale their breath sharply.  They lay panting eye to eye.  "You are as strong as Samson the Fkew Tsamsiyu", the Might Warrior.  He also smiled to think that his Samson choppper was being replaced by a Samson ikran. "Tswayon KO!"  Let's Fly!  The ikran liked that idea and allowed the Colonel to throw a leg over his neck. And off they flew.

Ateyo Te Syaksyuk

322)~"So MAX!" called out JakeSully.  "You are the last one! Ro'a! Be impressive."  Max grinned sheepishly and got to his feet.  "I dunno.  These are some pretty hard acts to follow!"  He walked into the mo, the clearing, cautiously.  He was an adequate hunter but had not dreamed he would ever achieve Iknimaya.  The previous eight years had been spent  repairing and maintaining the facility, FA SI Lì TI, as Mo'at would say.  He smiled to himself to remember the mayhem and destruction he had caused the RDA control room at Hell's Gate.  A dark yellow and green ikran took that menacing smile as a challenge. His head was bobbing back and forth in an almost comical manner.  He was actually watching the bolo in Max's hand as he tested it.  Thinking that he could capitalize on the ikran's attention Max tried to pacify the beast.  "You are getting very sleepy, verrrrry sllleeeepy." The ikran responded by nearly snatching the bolo out of Max's hand, narrowly missing the lean blue body as Max dodged out of it's way.
   "He's telling you, "Don't quit your day job!" yelled Tai.
   "Go with what you've seen us do!" yelled Jake.
   "Maybe I can get him to try for me again." yelled back Max.  But he didn't have time to swing the bolo.  The ikran lunged at him, hyperextending its neck. But Max tossed away the bolo.  "FETCH!"  He shouted.  Instinctively, the ikran followed the bolo.   As the huge head swept past him, Max  twisted his torso quickly, though his heels were planted in a wide stance.  He grabbed for the base of the meswin at the back of the ikranyä reo, the ikran's head, and was pulled onto the ikran's neck by sheer inertia and momentum.  Max locked his heels under the beast's throat as the Colonel had.   The beast  shook his head from side to side,  but Max was too terrified to let go.  He was dimly aware of the others yelling in fear.  The ikran's jaws were NOT bound.  Max's best place was right behind those slobbering jaws.  He was hoping that the spittle would not cause his legs to slip their grip.  Enraged, the ikran lifted his head and reared up.  But he was  situated too close to the overhanging ridge.  Max had flattened himself to the ikran's neck yet was conscious of a resounding CRACK.  His ikran had smashed himself right between the eyes.  The ikran let out a resounding roar of pain.  It's meswin had arched reflexively. Max took the opportunity to commit tsaheylu and was immediately rewarded with a screaming headache, right between the eyes.  They were both reeling in pain and disorientation.  Max could hear Neytiri shouting, "Fly to the bottom, Max.  The medical team is there. Don't drop tsaheylu!  I'll bring salve."  Max couldn't hear much of anything except FLY TO THE BOTTOM.    He visualized a gentle trajectory. His ikran complied.  Together they made a slow descending spiral. " 'ÌHEYU" he thought, the Na'vi word for spiral.  They heard cries from other ikrans and aymaktoyu, riders, as they plummeted past.  His ikran was visualizing a stream, he wanted to soak his head.  Max imagined being drowned while tryng to soak his head.  He turned his attention to the ikrans landing in the grassy mo äo, clearing below.  Obediantly, his ikran complied.  Max visualed stroking the ikran's head while projecting soothing and healing thoughts.
   At the bottom, Max tried to project friendly thoughts through their aching heads.  Neytiri was motioning everyone to keep their distance.  Max projected thoughts of implicit trust and lovingness.  Max's Ikran lowered his entire belly to the grass and stretched out his long neck. Max visualed his ikran closing its aymenari, eyes, and relaxing.  Cautiously, Neytiri made her way to Max and handed him a small pot of salve.  "Smoothe this into his wound, Max.   This will definitely seal the bond."  She backed away carefully as Max gently and loving applied the salve.  He didn't ask when it was enough, because he experienced the relief as well.  Again Neytiri approached.  "Ma Liri'el tamìng fi'u ulte pivllte, SAN 'Mipa txa'leng' SÌK."  Liri'el gave me this thing and said, NEW SKIN.  Max was grateful.  He applied the patch of medical artificial skin/gauze to his ikran's forehead. "Irayo, Ma Neytiri.  Ulte pivllte SAN "Irayo Nìtxan" SIK  ne  ma Liri'el. Thank you Neytiri and say to Liri'el, Quote 'Thank you very much.' UNQUOTE."  Eventually, their mutual headache subsided and he and his ikran joined the ranks gathering near the chopper.

Ateyo Te Syaksyuk

323)~"Sa'nu! 'Efu 'ohakx. Pehrr ayoeng yivom wutsot?  Momma, I feel hunger. When will we eat a meal?" Pxepxi was direct and to the point.
"Ke omum! I don't know. But everyone is probably just as hungry as we are. Maybe you and Kofi can find something good to share."
"Furia taron fkxen, oel mìyunge ayevit ." To hunt for freggies, I will take the kids." volunteered Ka'alani.
"Ma Kofi!  Nga kivin oeyä nifo oti fte nga zamunge fpxiwll. Sunu fwa ayfo.  Kofi you will need my nifo oti in order to bring the sharp plant. I  like those guys."  The seeds of the sharp plant were surrounded by sharp spines.  "Sì kilwll, sì fkxakxwll!"  The ground-sharp plant was like a sunflower that grew along the ground, but the itch plant was more like a giant artichoke.  "Those which taste best are always the most dangerous to harvest! Alaksi, Kofi?"  When Taifa' saw his son take the proper stance, he tossed him the ceremonial weapon of ancient Samoa.  Kofi caught it one handed, gave it a twirl and tested it in his hand.
  Pxepxi was suitably impressed.  "Ma Kofi!  When did you learn to do that? Can you catch it on fire?"
"Nìlun!" Kofi was about to launch into a falsehood until he caught Taifa's eye. "ÌÌÌÌ, KEHE.  Not yet anyway!"  Ka'alani found a net basket in the chopper and invited the medical crew  to  come along for a shopping trip.  Yet Pxepxi was cajoling Kofi, "Come on Cuz!  Let me hold it!"
"No. Oeyä Sempu would spank my txìm! Tai will show you, When you are ready."
   "Well, I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat only fkxen.  Let's go hunting!" suggested Tai.  She gave her pilots a quick description of a hunting strategy and consulted with Ikxeru, Kxetzaw, and Zina as to where they might likely find some game.  It wasn't long before the  aytaronyu had mounted up and pitched themselved over the 'awkx.
   It was nearing sunset and most animals would be gathering near watering holes and streams.  Ikxeru had been here most often and knew of a stream which was sheltered from immediate view by terrain. As a compromise to the quickly descending sun, the newest aymaktoyu agreed to only fly in close formation to the experienced flyers, in order to learn the strategy.  Ikxeru promised the hunting privaleges to the newest aymaktoyu on the following day.  A single file formation was flown along a ridgeline that paralleled the streambed. Ikxeru starting singing the Hunter's Song.  When he sang the line: Pesu Na'viru yomtayìng? Who will feed the People?  The formation turned tight along the crest of the ridge. When he repeated the line, the aytaronyu and their ayikran swooped upon the unsuspecting herd of yerik which happened to be drinking at the stream.  The surprise attack was performed flawlessly.  Nine yerik were feld nearly simulataneously.  The formation split in half and each wing circled back to retrieve their kills.  The Hunter's prayer was recited over each yerik before they were field dressed and lashed to the backs of the ikrans.  The hunters of tsngan returned at approximately the same time as hunters of fkxen.
   There were no cooking pots for fancy meals.  Everything was roasted, which was appealing  in it's simplicity.  Ka'alani had found a number of herbs that were used as garnish.  Roasting was also a quick way to disarm the spines from various fkxen.  Ka'alani was also delighted at her discover of a particular root. "Fìfkxeniri sur oeru fkan kalin, nìkokonut! Ftxìlor!  This vegetable  seems to me to taste sweet, like coconut! Delicious!"  Pxepxi had an empty gourd filled with seylu, especially green ones. She expertly created a cooking stone for them and carefully roasted  them to get them crispy without scorching. 
   "Is this summertime?" asked Twiti.  "This has been an incredibly long day."
   "Days more long sre, before rain season, ma tsmuke!  Is good! Fìtrr, pxaya ayikran ftxoley aymaktoyu lunta nulkrra trr. Today many ikran choose rider because is long day. And hunting, nìteng!  You hunting on ikran today! How is called your ikran?"
    "Oeri fpìl syaw Bronco, fu Pxronko," she said when she realized there was no B sound in the Na'vi language. She told of the ancient custom on 'Rrta of breaking wild ayfa'li, much in the same manner, without the tsaheylu and flying, of course.  Kristi was pleased to be sitting shoulder to shoulder with Ateyo.  She never seemed to get enough time to just relax with her sister. It was a concession that Zina was willing to make.  Truly, Zina found the silliness and lightheartedness of Twiti a very attractive feature.  Having Tai and Ateyo as role models seemed to be a good thing. Tai was every bit as stern as she, but she could see how Ateyo had melted those harsh edges a little.  As for Tai, she did not lose her commanding presense because of her affection for Ateyo.  And JakeSully!  He was as silly as could be, but he was, Toruk Makto. Zina was coming to the conclusion that one did not have to always be rigid and stern to be a leader.
   Most of the evening was spent retelling the ikran stories and trying to name their ikrans. Hans had named his Samson, for his coloring which matched the Samson chopper. He explained the name as that of an "Strong Man Ancestor." The Na'vi were impressed to learn that ayhumon would even know of their ancestors, let alone name their ayyayo sì ayikran after them.  Parilla wanted to know if there was a word for Castrator in Na'vi. "Because when I saw that chin horn come down between my legs, I thought I would be singing soprano for the rest of my life!"  Laughter was heard from the medical team and the ayuniltìrantokx. Norm and Ateyo each tried translating, but it was Ateyo who conveyed the pantomime of "Nearly Losing One's Manhood by THAT Much" which had the whole company laughing hysterically.
   Norm resumed his place next to Liri'el.  They were feeding each other in a very loving manner; a fact which did not escape Pxepxi. She would have announced such a thing loudly, but she was beginning to recognize that this was a treasured personal exchange which needed no help from her to be  announced.  Ateyo's grateful squeeze and a quiet nod assured her that she correct in her subtle new behavior.  But Pxepxi knew that someday she would grow up to be a hunter and she would have her own ikran, and her own mate, with whom she could throw fire knives!
  "Ma Tai?"
  "Sran, Ma Pxepxi."
  "Will you teach me to throw a nifo oti like Taifa' and Kofi?"
   "Trray. Tomorrow. When there is sunlight. I promise."
   Because the day had lasted so long, there was much less time for laughing by the fire.  Mated couples were establishing their sleeping bowers.  Amaktoyu visited their ayikran once more. Ayuniltìranyu were curling up or stretching out beside their mates.  Soon their spirits flew away to join their ayhumontokx, and their mates were left guarding theose Deeper Than Sleeping bodies.

Ateyo Te Syaksyuk

324)~Ateyo's ears swiveled to catch the footfall of someone approaching from behind.  A woman, lithe and light on her feet.  Probably a hunter.  Probably not Zina.
   "Srak, I would sit with you near the fire, ma Ateyo?"
   "Nìlun. Za'u heyn fìtseng."  Of course.  Come sit here." Aylara settled herself next to Ateyo with a heavy sigh, which prompted Ateyo to ask, "Srak, eltu 'ìn?" Yes/no? Busy brain?"
   "Srane, oeyä tsmuke. Oeru fpìl pxay'uteri ." Yes, my sister. I have many things to think about." Ateyo reached around to rub Alyara's back.  Eventually she sensed the relief of her tension.  "Srak, ngal fpìl Normateri?"  You are thinking about Norm?
  "Nìlun! Of course." Ateyo grinned at herself for asking such a foolish question.  "Ma 'Teyo, do you ever get used to sleeping next to Tai when her spirit is away?"  Ateyo pushed an ember around with a stick before she answered.  "Do I LOOK like I am used to this?"  Liri'elnow grinned at herself for asking such a silly question.
   "I heard that Mari has left Norm, kefyak?" asked Ateyo softly.
   "Srane."  They sat for a while in companionable silence.
   "This shouldn't trouble you if she truly has left him."  Ateyo approached the subject cautiously.  "I met Mari not long ago. She was nice, but very timid."  Silence.  "I met Trudy Chacon not long before she died fighting against the RDA.  TÌefumi oeyä, in my feeling, Norm really loved her.  I never saw Mari as a good match for Norm."  Ateyo stole a glance at Liri'el to get a glimpse of her reaction.  Liri'elwas smiling ever so slightly, to herself.    Quietly she answered. "Tìefumi oeyä, Norm will always love Trutxy Tshakon."  Liri'elshot a nervous smile at her sister tsahik. 
Ateyo spoke directly to Alyara.  "It would take a strong woman to love a man whose heart was else where.  Ateyo pressed on.  "Slä, tìefumi oeya, poru mowan  lu ngar. But, to my feeling, Norm is attracted to you.  Even Pxepxi has noticed!"  Not that Pxepxi would miss such a thing.  It seemed that Liri'elwanted to talk. "When did you meet Norm?  How long have you been together?" 
"I nursed Norm back to health at the sawtute healing place right after he was wounded. But to my disappointment, Mari was also there with him.  So I have kept my distance for these eight years.  I also, had lost my husband during the war.  He was burned very badly. And said some awful things.  Hurtful things.  Of course, he was raving with pain.  But it seemed to me that his inner truth was revealed in those moments. I longed to Kame and tsaheyl si with him, but he would not allow this."
   "So now you doubt your ability to choose a mate." Ateyo stated this matter of factly, but without derision. Alyarayä kxetse tìng särikxtstìp, Alyara's tail gave a twitch, but Ateyo could not decide whether she was annoyed at herself or at Ateyo.  "Tse, oeyä Alyara, what does  Mo'at say about this?"
   Liri'el was quiet and thoughful. She stared at the embers as she recalled the words of Nawma Tsahik, the great medicine woman.  "She took me to the Ramunong Ayvitral, the Well of Souls. 'Commune here until you feel ready to enter the world again, daughter. And when you think of your mate, remember that that bond is broken now. Do not allow the past to bind you.' "
   "Wise words." agreed Ateyo. After a long pause.  "Are you ready to enter the world again?"  She gave the younger tsahik an encouraging squeeze around her waist.  "Ah oeyä tsmuke, nga ke tsun tsive'a zusawkrrit krra sngawpay ngeyä menarimì lu." Ah my sister.  You cannot see the future when tears are in your eyes."*  "You need to ask yourself two questions:  'awve: Have I forgiven my husband for his words? Ulte mune: Have I forgiven myself for believing his words?'" If you are angry or hurt by these things, if you doubt your judgment, or your loyalty, you will not go forward.  Both you and Norm lost a mate in that Battle.  You cannot walk forward if you are foever looking backward."
   "I know this Ateyo.  Truly I know this.  How will I now if I am truly ready?"  Ateyo gave her one more comforting squeeze.  "When the hope of loving once again grows larger than your fear, you will be ready."

Ateyo Te Syaksyuk

325)~Liri'el sat quietly and watched the embers. Ateyo smiled gently and made an observation. "Numeyu ke tsun fäkä ne Iknimaya vaykrr tsawkel fyawìntxu."  The learner cannot ascend Iknimaya until the sun guides the way."*  Liri'el had her own ikran.  She knew that Ateyo was making an analogy to her personal path.  She was going to make a comment about being impatient for the sun, but their attention was drawn to movement nearby.  A small figure arose and grabbed a glowing pinkish fringed lantern plant and walked away to the area designated for personal matters.  In a short while, the figure returned.  Pxepxi, however, did not return to the sleeping place. 
   "Sa'nu, I can't sleep."  The Penghrrap plant cast its pink glow over the child's Blue Skin.
   "Za'u, Ma 'Ite.  Sit here quietly with us."
   "If Pxepxi is quiet, that means she is already asleep!"  Liri'el gave Pxepxi a friendly carress as Pxepxi was trying to decide whether she had been insulted or not.  "The air feels heavy to breathe.  I think it will rain tonight," said the child.
   "Kehe, ma 'ite.  Ke txon, not tonight. Slä ye'rin. But soon."  The three sat watching the moons struggling to appear through the sweaty clouds. 
  "Ma Sa'nu. I was thinking. Are there other Na'vi on those moons?" Pxepxi was leaning back in Ateyo's lap.  Liri'el and Ateyo exchanged surprised glances.
   "Ke omum! I don't know!  I never thought about that."  Again Liri'el and Ateyo exchanged surprised looks.  The sawtute, the SkyPeople came from somewhere across the sky.  Could there not be Na'vi on these moons just across the sky?  But Pxepxi had given this some thought.  "Someday, I will ask the Captain HuNikre Atun, if she will take us there."  She was referring to the Starship captain with red hair, Shiralta Tamas.  "And I want you and Tai to come, and Kofi.  And Taifa' and Ka'alani, nìlun. Ulte Ma Liri'el."  Pxepxi invited the other woman just to be polite. After all, she had only met her.
   "Tam Tam!  Oel kä tsatsengit txo oel tsun zamunge Ma Normit!"  I will go to that place if I can bring Norm."  Liri'el laughed to see Pxepxi's shocked reaction.  She had admitted to the child her attraction to Norm and even included him in the fantasy.  "If that's is OK with you?!"  She didn't want t impose herself upon the child's fantasy world.
   "Nìlun!  I like you better than Meri, anyway." Again she and Ateyo exchanged glances over Pxepxi's head, but Liri'el could not suppress the giggle that came bubbling up to her lips.  Pxepxi kept prattling on. "And Kofi and I can do the Fire Knife Dance when we get to the new place.  I think Kofi will be my muntxatan."
    Ateyo was nearly laughing.  "You have this all planned, kefyak!?"
   Pxepxi was a little defensive.  "Kofi will say yes.  He always does what I say because my ideas are better!" 
   "Tse, no wonder that you cannot sleep!  It takes a lot of energy to make these plans!"  Ateyo gave Pxepxi a crushing  hug. "It might be a good idea to ask Kofi what he thinks.  Even Kofi should have his say."
   "Tam.  Oel vin poti.  Slä pol pivllte SAN:"SRANE! NÌLUN!" :SÌK  OK I will ask him but he will say, quote, "YES OF COURSE! unquote.
   "SILTSAN! Good!"  Slä set sweylu fwa hawn ngeyä Tait, kefyak?  But now it's best that you protect your Tai, isn't that right?"
  "Nìlun!  I don't want anyone to trip over Oeyä Taronyu!" My hunter.  Pxepxi gave her mother a nose to nose  carress and trotted off to guard her Taronyu.
   "Tse, I think I have solved enough dilemmas for the night.  Do you think you are tired enough to sleep yet?" Ateyo gave her sister-tsahik another reassuring squeeze.  "You have your taronyu to protect, nìteng! "
   "Srane, Ma tsmuke!"    I think I might sleep now!  Go protect your Tai!  Oel hawn oeyä Normit ulte, oel ngati tse'a rewonmì"!  I will protect my Norm and see you in the morning!"  They too rubbed noses affectionately.
  "Txon fefpom, Ma Liriel."
  "Hivahaw siltsan, ma tsumke."  Each woman stetched out next to their mates and drifted off to slumber.

Ateyo Te Syaksyuk

326)~ The magnatrons whirled down in speed as the link chambers slowed the neural connection process with each Avatar.  Reality came intrusively when Tai found herself enclosed in a dark chamber, rather than next to her Ateyo.  She pressed open the link chamber to find Melvin at hand with her smoking robe.  "You're always the first, Major!  Let me see to the others."  In short order, each of the Avatars were regaining consciousness.  Kristi nearly leaped out of her link chamber.  "Melvin! I did it!  I have my ikran!  He bucked me off but I jumped back on!"
   "Whoa!  Hold on, Pardner!"  I know exactly when you were were bronc riding!  Come with me!  I'll show you a playback of your readout!"  Taifa', Ka'alani and Tai were already rumaging around for freeze dried meals.  They squeezed into the dining area and ate while Twiti Castillo and Janet Henderson described in detail, their encounters with ikrans.  Toby was "back" from Dark Lake, as was Txianna.
   "You should have become a Taronyu, Tovi.  Then you could have your own ikran!" teased Twiti.  She knew that Toby had no desire to put his life in danger.  "No thanks!  This is as much interface as I want with excitement.  I don't even sleep on the porch when you aren't around, Ma Twiti!   I need a taronyu to protect me from palulukans!  Besides, the Koakte at Dark Lake is teaching me everything she knows about clays and ceramics!  I'm in Heaven!  She is upset that Jeanine Black Elk is doing Iknimaya today.She made me promise not to fall in love or become a hunter!  She thinks that Jeanine is going to run off with Pfor'atsu and join Zongsteng Alor."
   "What does Jeanine say?" asked Captain Janet Henderson. 
   "Jeanine says that Koakte is worrying needlessly.  She is of the opinion that Pfor'atsu would follow her anywhere, even if it means joining another clan."
   "I wonder how Eyktan Ikxeru will feel about losing a hunter?" mused Ka'alani.
   "Looks to me that he just gained a few from us!  Our Base is just an extension of Zongsteng." said Tai after swallowing a mouthful of lima beans.  "I wonder if the other Link Sites are up and running?   I guess we will find out soon enough when we all get to Blue Heart Gate!"

Ateyo Te Syaksyuk

327)~ "Tia Alex! Did you get your ikran?" Kirby addressed Alexandra as Tia, his Aunt, not because either of them were of Spanish descent, but because it was merely a term of affection that suited their friendship.
   "Srane!" piped up Wade from his open link chamber.  "You are gonna love this Air Rescue story;"  Kirby made certain that Max and Norm were up and eating before he sat down to listen to his Tia, Aunt Alex, and by proxy his Tio, Uncle Wade,  telling of their adventures at the Eastern Sea Iknimaya.  By the end of the telling, he was certain that he did not want to wrestle an ikran, but a week at the beach was enticing.
   "After you guys get rid of the last of the RDA, maybe we can all go there together." suggested Kirby.
  "Mijo!  You could use some rays!  Even your blue skin is turning pale!"  Kirby only grinned.  He liked being referred to as Mijo, which means Son or My Boy.  Only his Tia could get away with teasing him about his personal life.   But he had to agree, he needed to get out more.   
    Kirby had taken pains to harvest indigenous fkxen (fruits and vegetables)from the paths around the Omatikaya kelutral.  There were always ayevi, kids, around to help him choose, and teach him which ones were safe to eat.  But he didn't like being too far away from the Link Chambers.  He was terribly afaid that something unscheduled or unexpected would happen, and he would not be available to intervene.
   "Do you think other techs will come from this other ship I've heard about? I miss hanging out with my Tia!"
   "Ai, mi sobrino! I suspected that you would feel left out if you stayed at the Remote Link Site."  Alexandra could barely remember working in the RDA headquarters in Spain.  But she had tucked Kirby under her protective wing and talked him into signing up for the Pandoran Expedition. 
   Norm offered his opinion; "I would guess so, Kirby.  When we get back to the Blue Heart Gate this week, I'm sure Pxati will tell us the manifest and the crew list and and arrival date of this other Starship."
   Wade offered a suggestion.  "You know Kirby.  Either one of us would gladly trade with you so you could mingle with the Omatikaya."
   "That woud still not be suitable.  I mean, Thank You and all, but then you guys would be here and I would be there..." 
   "You KNOW that YOU will be needed when we all go the the Blue Heart Gate.  We will all have to be on our own.  You can actually remain in humantokx if it will help you work on the holographic map and other equipment." suggested Max.
   "When do we have to be at Blue Heart Gate?" asked Kirby.  Wade chimed in; "We have nine days to get there, but we have to wait until a storm kicks up so that we can use it for cover when we make our raid."  Kirby looked thoughtful.  "So I guess I'll be monitoring the weather, as well." 
   "Yeah, maybe Pxati will help, or her assistant.  I can't remember her name." said Tia Alex.
   "Deborah Webb! I remember her!" Kirby had met her only once.  But he was pretty sure that she hadn't even noticed him. Maybe they would be working together.   
   "Well, we all need to hydrate up and get some exercise before we hit the sack. "Za'u Ma Kìrvi, kä ko!" Come Kirby, said, Alekxsi, Let's go!"

Ateyo Te Syaksyuk

328)~ Tai awakened with a sleeping child draped across her and with Ateyo next to her side.  Unfortunately, the child's knee was applying pressure over her bladder.  She desperately needed to  interrupt this quaint domestic scene.  She tried kissing Pxepxi, but found her head pinned down by her own tswin.  But by inclining her chin to one side, and blowing from the edge of her lips she was able to tickle Pxepxi's ear and awaken her.  "ZENE KÄ, Ma Pxepxi!"  I must GO, Pxepxi!"  she whispered hoarsely.  It might have appeared comical to see all three scramble to their feet and head for the place that everyone needs to visit upon awakening. 
   Around the campfire, everyone was deciding the logistics of breaking camp and reconvening at the Old Camp by Blue Heart Gate.  Ateyo managed to get a small portion of water warmed in her drinking gourd, by means of setting it upon hot rocks , but not on the coals.  There was barely enough warm water for washing hands and faces, and not enough for  brewing the strong tea that Tai had grown to expect each morning.
   She was pleased to see that Ikxeru had a small ceramic pot on his fire, and the familiar smell of strong tea was very inviting.  Ikxeru noticed Tai's attention and offered her a drink from his bowl.  "Srak 'efu väng Ma Tai?" Yes/no, you feel thirsty Tai?"  Her desire for a caffeine rush had nothing to do with thirst, but she graciously accepted the pro-offered bowl. "Irayo Ma Sempul!"  Ikxeru scoffed and laughed.  He considered Tai his equal, and it surprised him always.  "Kea tìkin, ma TSMUK!"  It didn't help matters that Meykir loved to be regarded as the ruling matron.  "Ma Ikxeru! Srak ngari sempul. Ulte nga lu eyktan, nìtxeng, kefyak?" Ikxeru, You have a Father, And you are an Eyktan, as well, isn't that so?!"
   "Srane! But MY Father was not younger than I." laughed Ikxeru.
  "Ma Ikxeru!  I have great respect for you as the Eyktan of this 'Olo.  I am like a baby because I know so little of the Na'vi and their path, their ways.  How should I address you to reflect the respect I have for you?"  After consulting with Ateyo to decipher the meanings, Ikxeru turned to Tai with a huge grin.  "Ma Sa'nok!  Being that you are older than I, and being that you are Eyktan of Hidden Place, I realized that I have probably offended you. I should call you Mother!"  The look of shock on Tai's face gave Ikxeru a deep belly laugh.  In fact, everyone within earshot was laughing.  In the end, they agreed to address each other as Eyktan, or Major, or Tsmuk, or to simply use each other's names.  "If Meykir likes to be addressed as Sa'nok, that is her perogative.  BUT ME NOT!" he finished in Ìnglìsì.
   Most of the yerik had been stripped and dried by the coals overnight.  It was being divided among all present.  Ka'alani, however, was happily munching on the root that tasted so much like coconut.  "Ma Ateyo?  Peli'u syaw fÌfkxen lu?" Ateyo what word is this freggie called?"
  "Ke omum." she shrugged in response. "I've only seen it once. It only grows fìtseng mì Ayram Alusìng" Here in the Floating Mountains."
  "Tse, lu akalin sì ftìalor!  Sweylu ayoel kavat hawl."  Well. it is sweet and delicious.  We should make Kava."
   "Ayoe kava hawl..." Ateyo was busy correcting Ka'alani's grammer when she realized what she had just said. "SRANE!  Kosmana säfpil! YES  That's a wonderful idea!  We will have to try that!  When we have finished other matters."
   "Ma Ateyo." interrupted Liri'el. "Speaking of other matters: Before you make Kava, I need that you help me make slings for carrying wounded Na'vi sì ayhumon."  Pxepxi was eager to help.  "Ma Liri'el!  Oe lu täftxuyu siltsan!  Srak oeri srung sivi." I'm a good weaver!  I can help! I can make all kinds of baskets and nets!"  Liri'el looked to Ateyo for confimation and found Ateyo nodding with confidence." 
   "NÌlun," said Liri'el.  "Kosman! Oe new srungsiyu!"  Of Course!  I need a helper!" Liri'el herself, was an assistant to the medical crew.  But teaching ayikran to carry Na'vi and ayhumans was a task for which she would gladly accept help. Dianna, who had otherwise been quiet, added. "Pxepxi is a good weaver.  She has been teaching me!  I can help too!" 
   It occured to Liri'el, that although the task was new and diferent, she had many helpers to draw from, both Na'vi and ayhumon.  She resumed her earlier conversation with Ka'alani and Ateyo.  "I would gladly help you make Kava, once we have made this rescue."  It was a sobering thought.  But everyone was willing to switch direction in conversation.    Ma Ateyo?  How many days do we have before we are expected to all meet at Blue Heart Gate."
   Ateyo pulled out her calender rope and unknotted another day.  "Awngaru vola trr." We have eight days."  Being that a base eight system was still novel to Tai, she remarked, "Now we ALL can keep count using only two hands!  She held up her hands and revealed that she had cleverly overlapped her pinky and her ring finger to resemble a Na'vi hand.  That got a laugh from the entire camp.  "Well, now we have a plan!  Let's sky up!"

Ateyo Te Syaksyuk

329)The plan included going to Dark Lake to check on their clan members.  From there, they would head to Zongsteng Alor and Hidden Base.  This was enroute to the Omatikaya Clan, which was also enroute to the Spuwina 'Awm, the Old Camp near Blue Heart Gate.  Other clans would meet them there.  Ateyo was hoping that Puvomun would be there early.   The tsulfätu, an expert craftsman of the Omatikaya Clan, was a great weaver. His talents would be very useful in the days to come. She wondered if Tompa 'Ivong was still at Dark Lake.  He might not realize that a tsulfätu would be useful.  She wondered if she and he could devise and improvise saddles for all these new riders.
   Ateyo and Liri'el helped the ayhumon of the medical teams climb into Tai's Samson.  They  made certain that the medical crew had a fresh supply of the leaves which were used for breathing.  The new ayhumon might not have such things, which would explain their captivity.  The two had made certain that they all could identify and gather the plant properly.  In turn, they could teach this to the newcomers. A convesation had started among the the medicos concerning the manufacture of reptilian new-skin for injured ikrans.  Max's ikran was healing, but the square patch of Na'vi skin looked odd on its fore head.  They were anxious to inventory the replicating machinery.  The biggest concern was replicating lung tissue for the escapees from the RDA base.  It made Ateyo very nervous to find Dr. Threadgoode eyeing her.  She wasn't sure that she wanted to know what he was thinking.
   Pxepxi was sulking, having been deprived of the opportunity to fly her mother's ikran.  She was even bold enough to suggest she fly Atanvi to Dark Lake Clan in her mother's stead.  She was reminded, quite firmly, that Atanvi would have nothing of that.  She walked with Ateyo and the other flyers to the cliff edge where the ikrans were waiting.  She knew that  Tai and Ateyo were sending images of them flying in formation without their riders, to the Dark Lake Clan.  But Ateyo lingered with Atanvi in tsaheytu long after Tai and Pìwopx Srewyu had ended their conversation.  Atanvi held out his wings and then put his belly to the ground while Ateyo unfastened the saddle from his whithers.  In astonishment and jealousy, Pxepxi watched as Ateyo handed the saddle to Liri'el and walked over to her.
   "Ma Pxepxi!  Would you rather fly in Tai's lefngapa ikran, or would you rather fly with Liri'el on her ikran?"  Liri'el was standing near with Atanvi's saddle draped casually over her shoulder.  Pxepxi's reaction caused the two women to laugh outright. "Oeyä Tai sometimes says SAN 'why fly imitation when you tsan fly oringinal!' SÌK."  As Ateyo watched the two walk away hand in hand, she could her Liri'el introducing her ikran to Pxepxi.  "Oeyä ikan syaw Pay."  Pxepxi was wondering aloud why anyone would name their ikran,  Water.  Ateyo shook her head and climbed into the cockpit next to Tai.

Ateyo Te Syaksyuk

330)Coming in at a hundred feet above the treetops, Tai pointed at her two o'clock and said, "Srak, Tsatseng lu Vawma 'Ora"  Yes, No.  There is Dark Lake."  Ateyo craned her neck and finally unbuckled her harness and squatted on top of her seat in order to see the horizon from Tai's perspective.  "Nga lu eyawr!" You are right!"  Ahead, the forest thinned out into swampland.  The shimmering horizon revealed a large lake.  From one edge arose the majestic Kelutral.  Small rafts and boats could be seen as specks moving between the tree's collosal roots.  Smoke from campfires and the famous ceramics works kilns was seen to be threading its way skyward.
   Tai found the clearing that was on the embankment just past the Kelutral.  Her lefngapa ikran was a now familiar sight to the Na'vi of Olo'Vawma 'Ora.  They all began to gather and wave their arms at her.  "It looks as though they are signaling to us, Ma Ateyo.  Is something wrong?"
   "I am uncertain, Ma Yawnetu. They look excited about something."  Ateyo junped from her seat and out the side doorway.  Immediately, she was accosted by many clan members excitedly pointing.  They were all so excited that they almost forgot to return Tai's fore head gesture of "Oel ngati kameie."  If their faces had not been somewhat familiar, she might have mistaken them for an angry mob.  As soon as she had opened her door, they swarmed towards her and practially lifted her out of her seat.  They were dragging and pressing her toward the estuary that emptied into the lake.  Their voices were chattering all at once and Tai could only make out a few words.  "Ma 'Teyo peral ayli'u WEM Wä PAYOANg?" Doesn't that mean something something FISH?"   
   "Srane Ma Tai! WEM ral Fight, WÄ ral against, sì PAYOANg ral..."
   "FIGHT AGAINST FISH?"
   "Srane! Fight Again Fish"  shouted various voices from the excited crowd.  Now they had all gathered on the bank of the estuary, which at this point was about as deep as a Na'vi was tall.  The water was somewhat shallow here and the fishermen and hunters had succeeded in driving a huge fish into the shallows.  It was thrashing about with it's huge plated head in an effort to reach deep water once again.  Na'vi were unavoidably getting slapped around and swatted with fins and tail and sometimes with the pointed barbs with emanated from varius points on its horny hide.  A familiar Avatar appeared at Tai's shoulder.  "Kaltxì Major Tai!"
   "David Rom! Thanks for inviting me to your Fish Fight!" she quipped.
   "You are just in time Major!  Your fish fighting skills are legendary.  They all want to see you go a few rounds with this one here!"  This one was nearly two feet longer and possibly another 150 pounds heavier than her previous Payoang. 
  "You've got to be kidding me!  I'm not going up against this monster without a weapon."  She turned toward her muntxate.  "Ateyo? Srak, you know where to find my Nifo Oti?"
"Srane!"  Ateyo ran off toward the Samson and returned breathlessly carrying the heavy weapon.  David Rom asked Tai. "Should we wait until the rest of your olo' arrives?"
   "Now that would be cruel.  FÌ'payoang cannot breathe.  This is NOT a Roman Collosseum or a Hypodrome! "  When she saw that there was no context from which to translate, she phrased it differently.  "He should not be made to suffer just to provide entertainment for us." Eyktan Tsu'akxu was standing close enough to overhear this remark.  He nodded to himself with approval.  "Besides," she continued, "they won't be arriving for another few hours,"  She indicated to Ateyo where the afternoon sun would be sitting. 
   "Ma Eyktan!  Oel ngati kameie.  Could you have your men on the other shore continue to press him forward, so that he doesn't try to return to the lake?"  Ateyo translated this to the Eyktan, who in turn called out directions to his hunters and fishermen.  Armed with spears  and harpoons, they advanced upon the flailing tail.  The creature splashed about, annoyed because of the stings against its bony, plated skin.  A few of them got knocked off their feet but the gnashing teeth on the other side of the fish was where the true danger lay.
   Tai had wading into water  halfway deep between her knees and her waist and found good footing on the rocky bottom.  "Ma Tsmukan, many who are here will fight to protect Eywa 'Eveng so that your children and your children's children, may swim in this lake.  Will you sacrifice for the people?" She dodged sideways to avoid those sharp teeth, launching herself into the air to come down with her full force between its eyes with the butt of her Nifo Oti. The blow stunned the creature for a second, disorienting it, giving Tai the time to jump high out of the water, whirling the implement over head.  With the momentum behind her weapon, she aimed her blow at a forty-five degree angle, between the overlapping plates from behind. spreading the plates, and allowing the weapon's heavy. fast moving. sharpened head, to sever the payoangä  re'o, in one blow.
   Tai knelt beside the severed head, catching her breath, listening to the respectful and somewhat stunned silence around her.  Most Na'vi had not realized that this weapon which provided the amusing Fire Knife Dance was not a prop.  This was a very lethal weapon which the Samoans had been juggling for entertainment.  Nor had they realized that this entertaining dance was actually the pratice routine for a encounter on a battlefield.
   When Tai had finished reciting the Hunter's Prayer to both parts of the payoang, vola tsmukan atxur, eight strong brothers came down and dragged the monsterous fish to the top of the embankbankment.   They hauled it upon a pole fashioned from a small tree, and brought it to the txep ayll, the communal cooking fire, where it was roasted for an afternoon meal.

Ateyo Te Syaksyuk

331)~ Ateyo was happy to see Tovi, once again.  He had a peculiar habit of eating by means of two sticks in the fingers of one hand.  Not many Na'vi had learned the habit from him.  Ateyo tried it and succeeded in flicking a piece of hot payoang and hitting Pxepxi right between the eyes.  It only startled the child but made Ateyo determined to master the use of these little sticks.  Tovi produced another pair, of which he had many.  Quickly, Pxepxi also learned to master their use.  Within a short time she was retrieving teylu, both crispy and squirmy, without damage.  Ateyo was proud of her daughter's dexterity.  While other teased her for her seeming lack.
  "In regard to dexterity." remarked Liri'el, "Ateyo has suggested that we all create nets with which  to carry injured people."  She explained her plan and was met with enthusiastic approval.  She had gained respect among the Na'vi for her healing capabities, eight years ago after the Battle for the Well of Souls.  She had helped nurse back to health those many years ago.  She was very pleased that Norm had chosen to sit with her.
  Everyone was relating stories about meeting the challenges of their ikrans.  Tahovit (David) Rom and Jeanine Black Elk had been chosen the day before the Omatikaya and Hidden Base had  their Iknimaya.  Black Elk, or Hehaka Sapa, was describing how she clung on while her ikran had tucked one set of wings and descended in dizzing tight spirals.  She named him 'Ìheyu, which means spiral in Na'vi.  Ateyo recalled the dance that Black Elk had taught them all, at the Old Camp, Spuwina 'Awm.  It too resembled a Spiral, so it was appropriate that her ikran had chosen her!  
  When Max told of his mutual headache and the mysterious healing ta'leng, skin, used on his ikran, an exchange occured.  Various tsamsiyu stood and revealed the various patches of skin which showed only the faintest of scars.  This was all testimony to the wonderous healing techniques of the ayhumon.  This gave Tai and Liri'el an opportunity to introduce the medical personnel from the Hidden Base. Dr. Threadgoode.  Madelyn Davies. Lesley Savage, each stood and greeted the members of the Dark Lake Clan.
  Hehaka Sapa, of Dark Lake and her mate, Pfor'atsu, of Olo'Zongsteng Alor were doting on the koakte, the  elderly woman Hllvrra, known at the Dark Lake simply as Koakte. Old Woman.  Txianna of Hidden Base and her mate  Kxeyo of Zongsteng Alor were also caring for Kaulevi, who was known as Lìnga Rìk.  It was interesting for the ayhumon and Avatars to observe how the two clans intermingled.  The two old women had known each other in their youth.
  Ayeyktan were sitting together, discussing the strengths and weaknesses of the various aytaronyu, hunters.  Hehaka Sapa, was tsulfätu.  Her skill as a weaver and recent acquisition of an ikran, suggested that she operate as medevac.  Ikxeru and JakeSully agreed that Pfor'atsu lead one of the Battle Flanks, knowing how he had thwarted the attack of a toruk before the Battle of the Jaberwocky.  Eyktan Tsu'akxu suggested that he,himself, could fly above, as high cover.  They spoke of their responsibility as rescuers as well as warriors.
  The meal was finished  and the sun was still high over head.  It was now kaym, late afternoon.  Tai was cajoled into retelling of her killing of the payoang this day, and her earlier payoang battle.  Pxepxi and Kofi were assigned to gather ana, vines, with which to weave nets.  They lead a troupe of evi into the trees.  Ateyo admonished them, "Remember to thank the trees and vines for their sacrifice."  Soon a large pile of vines were gathred.  Several teams were formed, each with a tsulfätu to teach the net-making techniques.  "FÌfya,sì fìfya, ulte fìfya.  This way, this way and this way.  In this manner and this manner and this manner."
Once they all learned the technique, they continued easily. Nìftue.  While they worked they sang and recited poetry.  Norm encouraged his New Love to share the poem that she had created before his Iknimaya.  "Sing us the one about the Floating Mountains, Ma Liri'el."  She blushed but agreed.  "First I will say ml Ìnglìsì:"
In Floating Mountains~~~
in the floating mountains
a fog lies on the ground
light rays fall like snowflakes
the sky is full of stone~~~
climb stairways to heaven
like the wind go flying
on high air cool and sweet~~~
pieces of the forest
in motion through the clouds
everywhere there's beauty~~~
believe in fantasies
and you can catch your dreams
though you are not sleeping
in the floating mountains~~~
There was an appropriate awestruck moment before everyone exclaimed her praise.  The Na'vi requested that she recite it in their own language as well:
ayram alusìngmì
lu yapay kllteru
atan zup na herwì
skxeri taw teya lu~~~
sop Iknimayane
ayram alusìngmì
tswayon nga na hufwe
alu kxayl kalinsì~~~
na'rìngä ayhapxì
rikx na fìwopx sa'u
ayram alusìngmì
tìlor fratsenge lu~~~
tìronsrelit ngey spaw
ayunilit stä'nì
hufwa nga ke hahaw
ayram alusìngmì~~~
A collective sigh of understanding and appreciation went up from the Na'vi.  "Kosmana ayli'u" wonderful words. "Ayli'u Reltsyip alor!" Beautiful Little Word Picture!"   And the ayhumon put their hands together rhythmically.  So the Na'vi stopped their exclamations and waited for the ayhumon to start their dance or their song.  But nothing happened.  Everyone looked at each other in puzzlement. Nothing happened.  So Ateyo clapped her hands together in the rhythm of her now famous Ikran Flyer Dance.  Everyone laughed in recognition and the evi stopped working and mounted each other, "Piggy Back"  a comment lost on the Na'vi.  But the dance had started.  And the ayhumon started to realize that clapping was used to set rhythms for dance, and not necessarily to convey appreciation.  They fogged up their masks with laughter at their litte social blunder.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
poem shared with the gracious permission of Alyara Arati. Dec 2012

Ateyo Te Syaksyuk

332)~ "Ma Tai," said Pxepxi.  "Inside your metal bird is a net full of floating rocks.  Should we bring out this net?"
"Kehe, Ma oeyä Pxepxi."  Tai was trying hard to suppress a smile.  She knew that the child was curious and wanted to play with the mysterious floating rocks.  "Those are right where I want them.  But when we fly to the Blue heart Gate tomorrow, I think you should ride next to me and help me fly the metal ikran."  Then she thought of another way to distract the child, "Help me finish making another net and then we will catch knives."
   Tai had noticed that her Cuz had fashioned a small scale blunt Nifo Oti with which to teach Kofi.  Perhaps the four of them could do a practice session.  But a weaving song ensued.  It must have been a familiar song because everyone joined in, though it was intricate.  The voices did indeed weave in and out. Ateyo lead the steady refrain which was easy enough for the ayhumon and ayunitìranyu to join.  Alyara and Neytiri sang other lines which lilted in and out and around the refrain.  In this manner, many nets were made quickly.  But Pxepxi had not forgotten Tai's earlier promise.  "Ma Tai we finished these nets.  Will you teach me the Fire Knife Dance?"  When the aytaronyu heard the words Srewyä Txepa Tstal their ears pricked forward.  "Srak nga srayew txepa tstal fìtxon? Yes/No you will be dancing the Fire Knife tonight?."
   "Srane! Slä set oel kar ma oeyä 'itet. Srak, aynga new tìng nari?" Yes but now I teach my daughter.  Yes/no, you all want to watch?"  It wasn't long before a procession was lead out to the lefngapa ikran.  All the hunters wanted to see the weapon that had dispatched the payoangä re'o, fishes head with one blow.  They exclaimed to each other as they examined it, asking questions about its origins and its construction.  Tai and Taifa' with Ateyo, proudly explained as well as they could.  Meanwhile Kofi and Pxepxi obtained permission to retrieve their own miniature version.  Tai gave some cautionary words to the aytaronyu who were gathering around.  "This is her first time, everyone should back away."  And to Pxepxi she said, don't worry child.  Everyone drops it the first time."  The four practiced short tosses without extra spins. Tai and Taifi each gave compliments to their mevi for each successful catch.  Farther and farther away, each toss was made.  Eventually, Tai and Taifa' added a spin that made the miniature Nifo Oti make one revolution in the air before it was caught by the handle.  Though the practice knife was blunt, it was certainly heavy.  After a little while, the mevi admitted that their arms hurt from the unaccustomed manner of holding and throwing.
    Instead, Tai and Taifa' started tossing the practice knife to the aytaronyu.  Being child-sized, it was as large as any dagger.  Soon they had mastered easy tosses with one revolution.  Tai explained again that each of the moves in the dance was actually a move one would make on the battle field.  Tai and Taifa' demonstrated to the aytaronyu, and Ateyo helped with the explanations.  Some of the movements could only be slowed down to demonstrate without a release, for risk of cutting off an arm. 
   Many of the taronyu expressed a desire to learn to use this weapon, and Tai cautioned that they would all need to make practice ones first.  They acquiesced, but requested that Tai and Taifa' demonstrate the entire dance without the fire, so that they could study the moves.  "Slä Ma Tai, Srak ke mengaru autu."  But Tai, yes/no  you two don't have a drummer." 
" 'Efu mawey, Na'viya! Awnga kä na wem luke ayau!"  Be calm, Na'vi.  We take to war no drums!"  Taifa' nearly surprised them all by taking his battle stance and letting out a blood curdling ILEY, a war cry.  Once the Na'vi had rereated a safe distance, Tai and Taifa' began their silent dance.  The only sound was the exhalations from their lungs and wind whistling past the edges of their knifes.  They played out their menacing choreographry in perfect synchronicity.  Without the dazzle of the fire, it was evident that these were defense moves, not just dance moves.  The warriors voiced their appreciation of the demonstration by letting out their own excited war whoops.  Some, who had seen the performance on other occasions, started drumming and pounding on their chests and torsos, as accompaniament.  The dance end amid cheering and whooping.  Even the medical personnel forgot to clap.
   Eyktan Tsu'akxu and Tsahik Txllkxrey  invited Ekktan Ikxeru and Major Tai to stay at least another day.  "We have many days before we all need to meet at Blue Heart Gate.  Our weavers work quickly and are the best!" said the Tsahik.  Her husband added, "Your ikrans can practice carrying the nets before we arrive at  Spuwina 'Awm.  Ulte kxawm, ayoe tsun  ngop aynifo oti, nìteng, Srak? " And perhaps we can make Nifo Oti also, yes/no?"  They agreed of course.  It made Tai smile to herself to remember the initial opposition that Eyktan Tsu'akxu had experienced at their introduction.  Now he was asking her expertise on an ancient Samoan weapon.  She didn't think it feasible to have enough weapons constructed and the warriors trained by the time of the mission.  It surprised her when Ateyo interjected.  "Ma Eyktan Tsu'akxu!  Consider all that we must do in preparation.  We have arrows to make, saddles!  I have to make, saddles for our mipa maktoyu." our new riders" 
  "Don't get your tail in a knot, my love!"  said Tai in reassuring tones.  This got a laugh from  everyone.  It was an expression they had never heard, but it was certainly descriptive of the emotion.  "We have to be there in a few days, but yet we must wait for the weather.  Eywa must make us a storm to sneak in behind. "
   "Not necessarily, Major."  said Captain Janet Henderson.  "We can probably scramble signals just by carrying a cargo of Unobtanium. We have already proved it works as a stealth device.  We should incorporate this to our advantage."
  "That is simply brilliant!  Why didn't I think of that?  Let's discuss this!"  Ateyo explained the conversation and tactics to the Na'vi who were confused by the exchange.  But it was Jake Sully who suggested a planning session after the evening meal.  While the group returned to the Kelutral, many ideas and concerns were discussed.  But conversation was put on hold as they neared the txep ayll, the communal fire as the glorious aromas reached their noses.
   "Yom, yom! SYUVE!" cried out the members of the medical team.  The Na'vi smiled at each other.  It amused them that some of the ayhumon always said YOM YOM when they were about to eat.  It seemed childish or redundant to always say EAT! EAT!  Someone would eventually have to explain the expression YUM! YUM! Meanwhile it was amusing to them.

Ateyo Te Syaksyuk

333)Before the meal was completed, the aymaktoyu of the Eastern Sea Clan arrived at Dark Lake Clan.  There was plenty of roasted, stewed, and baked payoang to go around.  Ayeyktan sat together and soon their conversation turned to the upcoming  stealth invasion of the remnant RDA base.  "Making an air strike with the choppers would have been so much easier."  complained Major Tai Tae Ao.  "But killing non-combatants is out of the question.  I would like to know whether the conscripts are all in one place, or whether they have free range within the complex?"
   JakeSully spoke up.  Ted Demaria has been telling me that the conscripts stay within the base because there are few air masks that are operational.  Only a few soldiers have them.  He was worried that no one would be able to escape.  He didn't like the idea of tear gas or fire bombing because only the dedicated soldiers would survive.  He wanted me to volunteer him as an infiltrator to lead the rebellion from within."
    "Whoa!  He's not a warrior or an espionage agent! But he is volunteering for covert action?!" blurted Colonel Schroeder.  This caused a mild disturbance among the rebel pilots and Ateyo was pressed to get a translation. This caused a lull in the message that Jake was trying to convey.
  "Hear me out!" Jake said.   "He knows the interior layout, he knows the patterns.  He wants  to  talk to them as a group in their sleeping quarters, and have them ready for an escape or an insurrection."
   "What.  He is going to walk in through the front door?" scoffed Lt. Bruce Wade.
   "Yes, basically.  One day every month, a water truck goes out, fills up and returns to the base treatment plant.  He wants to trade places with that driver and go in."
   "Negative!  Too much risk of him being recognized." said Tai.  "There aren't enough people at that  compound to walk in anonymously."  Tai was alarmed and yet amazed.  "Ma Ateyo. Translate for me."  She turned and looked at each person closely, who had gathered. "Here is a man, Ted DeMaria, who without training is willing to walk into near certain death, just to rescue his comrades.  His loyalty and bravery should be enough to encourage us to rescue these men."  Ateyo translated the words of her mate and met the approving nods of each eyktan, tsahik and tsamsiyu. 
   "This is my concern; with all due respect to Ted Demaria, what are the chances of the RDA keeping alive that many mouths, if not to defend the base?  The RDA would not want to keep people alive unless they had pledged to defend.  They can't hope to ransom them for money.  Trade those lives for safe passage for their own scrawny necks. Maybe. The people that remain are conscripts, fed to fight against US.  You can be certain that they will each have weapons and breathing masks.  They might not be issued now, but they are most likely on hand."
   When Ateyo had translated these words,  an uncomfortable silence enveloped the crowd.  But Tai continued. "On the other hand, we have it fromTed's own mouth,that these people were conscripted, by force, against their will.  They remain only from fear of death by others.  Believe me, if we give these men a chance to leave and offer them cover fire, they will probably turn their weapons upon their captors."  With that Tai walked over to the fire and said, "I don't know about you, my brothers and sisters, but even if no one else came, Toruk and I would risk our lives saving these people."  With that, Major Tai Tae Ao turned with her back to the fire, looking at the assembled crowd and said, "I know what Toruk Makto and I would do.  Any who are with us, come stand with us."
   Without hesitation, Sargent Taifa'ana'e joined his cousin, shaking her hand and slapping her shoulder.  "You can count on me Cuz!" But he was first, only because Ateyo was already at her side and because he was two steps closer to her than any of the others who quickly joined the mob scene.

Ateyo Te Syaksyuk

334)~"Tìng Pom! Tìng Pom! Tìng Pom!" came the silly refrain as soon as the sun peeked through the leaves of Dark Lake Kelutral.  Tai opened one eye and ascertained the time of morning by the angle of sunlight on her face.  She sat up from the Hahawa Rìk, the sleep leaf that they had shared, and accepted a steaming cup of strong tea.  "MM! Irayo ma Yawnetu. Srak, nga lu tìtxen nulkrr?" Yes/no, you have been awake longer time? 
   "Kehe! Slä oel zamunge ngeyä lesngäì tsngalit näer asom." No but I brought you your first cup of hot drink."  Tai didn't know what was in tea she was drinking but it seemed to have something like cafffeine.  "Srak, lu JakeSully li txen." Yes/No was Jake Sully already awake?"
  "Kehe, Ma hona tsamsiyu!"  adorable warrior.  Tai smirked at the pet name as she followed her muntxate down the winding spiral formation that was as a stairway. 
    Eyktan Tsu'akxu and Tsahik Txllkxrey beckoned their guests toward the txep ayll, the communal fire  in the clearing under the kelutral.  "Rewon lefpom, ma Eyktan Tai. Srak alaksi tsekxeng si swusayeron hu mipa aymaktoyu?" Yes/No you are ready to practice flying with new riders?  Tai was pleased that she recognized all the words except tsekxeng, practice. She answered, "Srane! Ulte Oel Ngat Kameie! Sran!  We will need to practice flying nap of earth and  carrying nets as well."  This took some time to translate.  Ateyo was confused about the Nap of Earth, and asked why and how they could practice hahawtsyìp 'Rrtayä.  "Lok kllte. Close to the ground. For sneaking."  They also had to establish a meaning for Follow the Leader.  The concept was present.  Even Ateyo had lead Follow the Leader games with the ayevi.  It was extremely important that the ikrans learn to fly undetected using terrain as their cover as they flew a low approach to the RDA base. They had already flown a sneak attack on ayerik, immediately after getting their ikrans just a few days ago. This should be relatively simple to teach.
  Ateyo was busy greeting all her sisters.  It was amazing to her, to have lived in seclusion most of her life, only to find acceptance and popularity. It had been there all along.  Only she had isolated herself.  "Alaksi Aleksi? Oel new miveyam ngati!"  Are you ready Alexi? I want to give you a hug!  Alekxsi and Liri'el already knew each other.  They were each studying with Mo'at and Neytiri.  "Ma Twiti!"  Twiti Castillo was mobbed not only by Ateyo and Pxepxi, but by other evi as well.  Eventually, JakeSully and Neytiri climbed from their guest sleep leaf above.  Conversation remained light and congenial through the rewona wutzo, the morning meal.  Roasted payoang was wrapped in  thin leaves along with nut butter and slivers of the sweet kokonuta ngrr, coconut root, that was Ka'alani's favorite.  "Ma Ateyo!  I was talking to Tsahik Txllkxrey and she thinks we should try to make Kava from this kokonuta ngrr, someday."
    "Kosmana säfpil! Wonderful idea! But remind me when we get done with this rescue mission.  I am too busy too worry about Kava right now." saitx Ateyo.
    "Ma ÌakeSully?" intoned Eyktan Tsu'akxu.  "Tairi sì Oeri fpìl sweylu fwa ayoeng tsekxeng si swusayeron hu mipa aymaktoyu, a  lok kllte. Srak nga mllte?" Tai and I think it best that we practice flying with our our new riders, low to the ground. Do you agree?"
  "What are we waiting for?"  Jake said with a good natured grin.  After the meal was finished, JakeSully got the riders together and explained what they would be practicing and why.  The suggestion was met with great enthusiasm and the riders were soon climbing the kelutral to their ayikran. "Sanu!"  Pxepxi was about to ask to go but decided better of it.  "I will help to finish more nets while you practice.  Seykxel si nitram!"  She gave Ateyo and Tai each a big hug and watched as they climbed to the heights.  The proud parents exchanged a knowing look with each other.  Their daughter was displaying signs of maturity.

Ateyo Te Syaksyuk

335)~ The morning  sun glinted off the many colors of ayikran which were line abreast upon the "launching branch" of the Olo'Vawma 'Orayä Kelutral.   They had already been divided into aypongu, various parties with  two captains and a number of mipa maktoyu between them. 
   "Yawo!" cried JakeSully.  Each group launched from their branch and raced straight down to  the clearing just past the kelutral and the mouth of the estuarary.  Of course, all the non-maktoyu were waiting in the mo, the clearing, cheering on their favorite fliers. Eyktan Tsu'akxu lead the way towards the canyon in which they would practice.  This was a short distance from the edge of the Dark Lake itself. Pfor'atsu rode trail of his clan's wempongu, war party, with his lovely muntxate Hehaka Sapa, Black Elk, before him.  Somewhere in front of her, amid the other new flyers of the clan was David "Tahovit" Rom.  Pfor'atsu had been flight leader on the evening  his group was attacked by the Toruk.  At first he was resentful that he was flying trail, but he soon learned that he had an ocassional glimpse of his mutxate flying, txur sì seykxel, strong and proud, just in front of him.  But it was also quite challenging to fly, skimming the ground.  His ikran certainly did not appreciate the distraction and called his attention back to the task at hand.  To add to the challenge, Eyktan would suddenly swoop straight up a cliff, as if in a sudden attack.  A distracted rider would lose their footing under such a rapid manuever.
   Behind the Dark Lake wempongu flew the wempongu of Hidden Base.  Tai was Leader, Taifa' was Trail.  The further they flew, the steeper became the canyon and the more challenging was the terrain.  They  skimmed over treetops and  cliff edges.  They skimmed near the water and around jagged boulders.  They came to a stop at the fork of several canyons, breathless and wide eyed.
   "  'O' " said Ateyo to her half sister Twiti.
   "  'O' " was  Tweety's only reply.  But she threw her head backed and laughed triumphantly.  It was a simple word meaning "excitement".  But she now had a new definition.  She knew better than to look down as the terrain zipped by, but sharing her ikran's vision was just as unsettling.  She couldn't think of the words in Na'vi or Ìnglìsì to convey the wild exhiliration of that ride.  But through pantomime, Ateyo was conveying  words which she mouthed.  "Tsut si ngeyä kxä ulte eltu si!  Close your mouth and pay attention."  Twiti was grinning stupidly when Major Tai and Sargent Taifa' glided up on their meikran. 
  "Having fun, Ma Twiti?" grinned Taifa'.
   " 'O' " was her reply.
   "Listen up People!  Eyktan Tsu'akxu is very pleased with the smoothness and rapidness of our learning.  You should all pat yourselves on the back.  You have each shared with your ikran the exact wordless instructions for Follow the Leader.  But Tsu'akxu wants to demonstrate a manuever.  It is a way of changing directions in one smooth movement.  It is imperative to keep distance from the riders behind you so that you do not smack wingtips.  This could be dangerous.  A lot of you don't have saddles yet, so use your heels to stay tight against their breathing holes, WITHOUT cutting off their "air" supply.  Convey to your ikran to wait and then imitate the ikran in front of you.  Let's Ride! Makto KO!"
   Tai and Taifa' launched into the air and flew to the front of their formation.  All eyes watched as Tsu'akxu and his ikran leapt into the air, ascended and flew the inside of a loop.  Just as they reached the apex of the loop, and they were almost upside down, his ikran tucked a wing and rolled over, right side up, and corrected his wings to return to straight line flight.  Ayikran watched intently and squawked with delight to be learning a new trick with their riders.  Anxiously, they each waited their turn, but they were also distracted by the return of each successive flyer, zipping past in the opposite direction.  Each ikran could Kame the level of anxiety of their rider.  It was good to see how the ayikran adjusted their speed and the steepness of their turns for the benefit of keeping their riders squarely upon their whithers. 
   Once they each had completed their turn, the riders gathered at the top of an aukx, a cliff, over-looking the stream that emptied into Dark Lake.  It was clear that the ayikran were anxious to continue playing.  Once they had been dismounted,  they launched from the 'aukx, repeating the manuever endlessly.   Bronco and Atanvi and Pìwopx Srewyu and Atanzaw were practicing their turns and their landings.  But they were screaming for their riders to join them.  Now they were playing a Leap Frog sort of game.  Instead of returning to their original point, they were moving downwind.  Atanvi and Ateyo swooped past the flyers of the Zongsteng Alor and landed near the wempongu of the Omatikaya.  They landed near the place where Alekxsi sat perched upon her 'Ipuyu.  Ateyo could hear the distinctive "laugh" of Alekxsiyä ikran.  They only had a chance to exchange grins as those two launched and Ateyo and Atanvi landed.  Atanvi clung to the cliffside with his wing talons as the rest of the pongu gathered.  But a rhythmic pattern was developing.  Ateyo glanced to see Twiti and Bronco, then Zina and her ikran land next to her along the cliff.  But by then, Atanvi had launched again.  They did their modified  turn in the sky and flew downwind once more.  Ateyo was confused by the fluttering wings of many colors, but quickly turned her concentration towards Atanvi.  He conveyed assuring thoughts to her, and conveyed the wonderous pattern to her rider.  He knew his exact timing and location and wanted her to relax and leave the flying to him.  It occured to Ateyo that they were not learning to fly ayikran, as much as the ayikran were teaching them to trust them, as they flew together.

Ateyo Te Syaksyuk

336)~  The leap frog procedure continued all morning until they had reached the mouth of the estuary as the stream broadened and emptied into the Dark Lake.  They were resting along the 'aukx, cliff, across from the Vawma 'Oro Kelutral.  In little boats below, Na'vi could be seen waving enthusiastically.  Ateyo could clearly see Pxepxi and Kofi waving and cheering.  But Eyktan Tsu'akxu was calling the riders toward him.  Standing next to him was a Na'vi of singular appearance.  His body was covered with many keloid scars, the thick bumpy ones.  One eye was squinted, a pink scar divided his face diagonally.  One ear was bent and mangled, and his kxetse had been broken near the tip.  Ateyo couldn't remember if she had seen him flying earlier.  Though who could have missed him?  Tsu'akxu was introducing him.
   "Ayngaru, fìpo lu oeyä 'eylan, alu Opxan, fkew tsamsiyu ulte ayoengä sweya taronyu payoangä."  To all of you, this person is my friend, who is Opxan, a mighty warrior and our best hunter of fish."  Opxan twitched a corner of his mouth by way of a smile as he returned the forhead gesture as all greeted him with "Oel Ngati Kameie." 
   "Last night we listened to the plans of our brothers to use nets to carry hì'ia tute, little people, ulte alahe ayu.  And other things."  His voice was thick and gravelly.  Ateyo was translating for him.  Opxan rolled his eyes and waited. " Ayoengä olo' has great skill with nets.  Not only do we make them quickly, but we use them skillfully.  Our ikrans have been trained to work together with riders and nets.  We have done this for many, many seasons.  We offer you our skills and our training.  But first we want to demonstrate our skill."
   He gestured brusquely for space to be made on the hilltop.  He stooped and picked up a heavy net.  He gestured once again to signal his intent to throw the net.  As everyone backed away, Tsu'akxu mounted his ikran and launched slowly into the air.  Opxan mounted his ikran, and launched. With his sinewy arms, he circled his head twice and flung the net.  It spun in the sky for two revolutions spinning as a flat disk.  Eyktan Tsu'akxu's ikran deftly caught the net in his left talon.  Opxan's ikran caught the net in his right talon.  This brought a spontaneous cheer from the throats of all, Na'vi and Avatar alike. The meikran flew in perfect synchronicity. Stretching the net between them. They skimmed over the surface of the lake.  Ateyo wondered how long they had to practice before they had perfected this awkward manuever.  Each ikran had to extend their outside leg into the water and somehow draw up the net, full, as it were, of squiggly, squirmy fish.  They flew with the net to the clearing near the kelutral.  Here they carefully deposited the net full of ayfayoang to waiting hands.
   "SHEESH!" exclaimed Taifa' at the top of the hill.  The wind had pulled loose a tuft of his thick kinky hair and was batting him in the face.  "How long did it take for you to teach them fella that stuff?"  Ateyo was used to his brand of Ìnglìsì and translated.  Tsu'akxu and Opxan laughed.  "The beauty of it is that the ayikran teach themselves.  They saw what we were doing, they tried to help.  It was their idea to catch the nets mid air.  It was their idea to fly so awkwardly together to get the nets in the water. Mefo, these two taught themselves in a day, and perfected it later.  BUT they taught the other ayikran to help us as well. "Alunta, oel amomum fwa awnga kivar tsat säswayon fìtrr."  For this reason I knew that we would learn that instance of flying today."
  Something clicked in Tai's brain.  "So that is why you weren't alarmed when the ayikran started to fly bounding-overleap."  In her mind, this was a manuever used in combat, where one warrior rushes and takes cover, followed by another warrior who rushes past and then covers the next.   Ateyo illustrated the concept with her hands and explained, "Fyao, sì fya'o."  In this manner and this manner.
  By this time, Eyktan Atumopin of the Eastern Sea Clan joined the conversation.  Our clan also gathers fish in this manner.  For this reason, our ayikran could carry the shells filled with Pxitxtsi Dust.  I have been training my warriors to fly in this manner, as well."
    The Philipino Avatars named Laria Pataya and Ten Opunto, stood proudly.  But it was Atumopin who pointed out, "Ma Alekxsi si Ma Weyt, have both learned quickly.  I think they are actually of the Eastern Sea Clan!" Both Wade and Alekxsi were anxious to demonstrate their new skills.  Atumopin continued, "We should all practice in teams but learn different techniques from each other."
  "For fishing?" blurted Ateyo before her brain had thoroughly engaged.
  "Kehe!  For carrying people in flying nets, Ipuyu Ateyo!"  Funny person, laughed Aleksi.  Her mate Weyt(Wade) added; "Slä, silpey ayoengal  wutsot yom, lesngäi.  But I hope we eat a meal,first.  Oe 'efu ohakx!"  I feel hunger.  It wasn't long before a flurry of ayikran wings filled the air to deliver the riders to the top of the Dark Lake Kelutral.

Ateyo Te Syaksyuk

337)~   The smell of roasted payoang was rising to the branches above.  It was a sweeter smell than the Aytaronyu expected.  Tovi and Ka'lani were trying their hand at a baked dish of fish and kokonuta ngrr.  Tovi was proud to arrange the cooked fish onto a platter which he had hand built and fired.  "Oeru sunu nìwotx hì'i fayoang aslusele pxaw txew." I like all tiny fishes swimming around edge."  Pxepxi translated for herself.  She was proud that her uncle Tovi  with the menari ahiyìk,  with Strange Eyes, was so creative.  She had long since stopped poking him in his eyes.  The eliptic folds were less pronounced in his Avatar face.  If she had ever seen one, she would compare his eyes to those of a Siamese cat.
  Wade was examining the platter for other reasons; the coloration of the clays.  "I like how you have made slurry and painted one color of clay  on top of the other. You know, Toby, we went flying WAY up in that canyon.  There are LOTS of different colored clays.    There is a place that looks like it has calcium carbonate.   We could experiment in making gazes, blues and greens." Wade had been hired by the RDA as a geologist for the mining operation.  It had galled him to see how his talents were being exploited for the sake of RDA greed.  But it excited him to think that his talents could now be of service to the Na'vi.  "And I saw some rutile deposits.  I'll bet that would look mottled or spotted like the raku-fired clay you once showed me.  It would be fun to experiment with making glazes."
  After Ateyo had translated for Koakte, Koakte declared that she resented the need to send such potential skill off to battle.  She made Weyt exact a promise to return and show Tovi where to find the different colored clays.  Yet she smiled to herself, pleased that she could add another tute to her growing cadre of aysulfätu.  "Besides, Ma Ateyo," said Ka'alani, "We need to make kava from the kokonuta ngrr when you return."  Ka'alani's brain had been engaged with this idea since she first found the tasty root.  It only grew near the foothills of the Floating Mountains, so she was not surprised when Ateyo reminded her of the urgent rescue mission that needed to be acccomplished first.
   This statement excited Koakte.  She spent the next few hours trying to persuade Ateyo from joining the risky raid.  "Those ayhuman should be rescued by the ayuniltìrantokx.  It's their problem.  You should let them take care of their own."
   "Ma Koakte. Ngal omum fwa oeyä muntxateti lu Ikxeru a mawl, sì Twiti lu oeyä tnu oeti amawl.  Awnga soaia nìwotx!" Old Woman! You know that my spouse is half Ikxeru, and Twiti is half of me. We are all family!"  Koakte sat and puzzled over the words.  She really didn't understand what was going on.  She had avoided the controversial issue of half Na'vi walking around in Blue Bodies.
   "Ma Hona Koakte," said Jeanine Black Elk. "Oeng yawne lu oengaru fìtsap, kefyak?
We love each other, don 't we, my Old Woman?"
   "Sran, ma 'ite."  Koakte had a wry smile on her face.  She knew exactly to what Jeanine was referring.  "Oel omum.  Txo tsafo nìtxan lu aena  txe'lan livu, to oel omum wawe zerivong   alahe ayhumon."  Yes, My Daughter.  If others also have blue hearts, I understand the importance of saving the other humans."   Her old eyes gazed reflectively upon her protoge.  But then her eyes brightened mischievously.  "Kxawm, fìfko lu prrte ayseo." Perhaps This One will like the arts."  Koakte was rewarded with a relieved hug from Jeanine and resolved to trust in Eywa regarding any future newcomers.

Ateyo Te Syaksyuk

338) As the day progressed, the Dark Lake camp was readying for an absense of hunters.  Tovi, Txianna, even the Tsulfätu named Tompa Ivong, volunteered to stay behind and watch the elders and the children.  Ka'alani decided to stay behind also to watch Tanìs, the daughter of Captain Janet Henderson.  Ka'alani then asked Kofi if he would stay to keep Tanìs company.  To Ateyo's great amazement, Pxepxi volunteered to stay behind as well.  She explained that she could help hunt for the elders, and supply seylu for every meal.  She collected her ikrantsyìp uvan 'u, her little ikran plaything, as well as Kofi's.  She insisted Kofi bring his nifo 'oti so that they could practice.  She spent the rest of her day, assembling her new domicle, and instructed Kofi and Tanìs where to hang their hahawa ayrikx, sleep leafs.  The pilots of Hidden Base tied to suppress their grins.  It was easy to see who wore the "pants" in this little family.
   "Ma Sa'nu."  It almost startled Tai to hear herself addressed as Mom.  "You have to promise that when you come back, and when it is safe, I want you to introduce me to the Thundership Rider, the Kapteyn Hu Nikre Atun." The Captain with Red Hair.  "I want her to take me and Kofi to the the other moons."
   "Me too, Sa'nu Tai!  I want to see Eywa 'Eveng nìrum mì täw!" like a ball in the sky!  Little Tanìs was holding Tai's hand with both of hers and looking up imploringly.  At this moment, Liri'el and Norm walked up hand in hand.  "What's this Tai?" said Norm with a sly grin on his face.  "Are you becoming a tour director in the future?"  Tai was stammering and trying to explain and apologize when Liri'el spoke. "...because if you are, we too, would like to see Eywa's creation from up above!"
   "It's OK with me if Liri'el and Norm want to come.  She already asked!" offered Pxepxi.
   "Kehe, Ma Norm.  I am not the tour director. Pxepxi is cut out for the job." said Tai.
   Pxepxi was wondering why all the ayfeyntu, the grown ups,  were laughing.  She was almost annoyed to think they were laughing at her.  Liri'el interupted her thoughts when she spoke  to Tai.  "Ma Tai! I was hoping that Pxepxi could come with us to 'awm aspuwin, the old camp.  We will probably need bandages and she could organize the children to weave cloths.  They will be far from the action, yet close enough that we could easily come to them with the lefngapa ayikran."
   "Tsat lu sìltsana sämokiri, Ma Liri'el!"  That's a very good suggestion of yours!  said a bewildered Tai.
   "Kehe!" shouted a feeble voice from somewhere nearby.  Everyone turned to see  Koakte Hllvrra and Koakte Kaulevi!  Kaulevi, also known as  Lìnga Rìk, Kyeyo's mother, was struggling to her feet.  "Kehe! Aynga ke kä ulte txìng moeti fìtseng! Zamunge moeti nìteng!" No! you all can't go and leave us two here! Bring us also!"
  "Ma meuianga mesa'nok!"  My Honorable Two Mothers!  "Oeru txoa livu." To me be forgiveness.  "We were thinking of your comfort and safety, but we should have asked you." apologized Tai Tae Ao.
   Neytiri and her new found sister Alexsi, walked up arm in arm and interrupted the discussion.  Neytiri was smiling as she talked.  "It is good to hear that you are making preparations for travel.  Whoever is coming should be ready to leave in the morning.  I had heard that many would stay at this camp, but it seems that everyone now wishes to meet at Spuwina 'Awm, kefyak?"  Neytiri received such an outburt of favorable exclamations that she held up her hands defensively and stepped back.  But soon everyone was laughing and talking excitedly about the upcoming journey.

Ateyo Te Syaksyuk

339)~ Alexandra and Wade were greeted by Kirby as they opened their link chambers. He ran for Max and Norm.   "I'm glad you arrived first, Tia Alex!  Rutxe srung sivi atxen ayoengeyä mesmuk!"  Please, help our two brothers get up!"  The five of them walked the short distance to the Omatikaya kelutral.  The Remote Link Site looked so foreign amidst the lush and sparkling jungle.  Mo'at and Kerkori watched them approach.  The Link Site was  an incongruity that the Omatikaya accepted merely for the joy of having their family members nearby.  This was most notable for Mo'at, knowing that Alexandra's blood was also that of Sylwanin's.  The ayhumon had their ways of explaining it.  But the Na'vi knew it in their bones.  And Mo'at had seen the connections as ribbons of light beneath the Tree of Voices and in the Well of Souls.  As she greeted Max and Norm, she reminded herself that she needed to see who was connected to those two.  Krekori Mendllzong simply stepped back and allowed Alekxsi, to walk back to the camp with her arms and kxetse wrapped Mo'at.
   There was no sense in trying to converse.  In the first moments of their return, each person was greeted by those who had remained awake long enough to hear of their adventures.  They all gathered at the ylltxep, the communal fire, and were fed by the eager emyu, cooks.   In their human bodies, they had become expert in feeding themselves despite the oxyen masks.  It would be easier to eat in the RLS, but they relished these moments with the clan and family members.  Norm made certain that the clan would be ready to accept plenty of visitors the following day, and suggested that the camp be ready to break and travel the day after that.  He and his other ayeyktan decided which taronpongu, hunting party, would need to feed and protect the ones who would be staying behind.  When Neytiri revealed that the aykoakte of the other camps had decided to also meet at Spuwina 'Awm, Old Camp, Mo'at's face brightened.  She looked forward to rejoining her eylan alu aykoakte, her friends the Older Women once again.  Mendllzong was looking forward to seeing Threadgoode and the other medical personnel.   He found that he also missed Liri'el.  He enjoyed discussing comparative anatomy with the bright young tute.  He guessed they might be working closely again, under dire circumstances, as they did  eight years previously. But this time, both in eana tokx.
   He found that he was being drawn to his feet.  The meal had finished while he was daydreaming.  The ayuniltìranyu had to excuse themselves and exercise their human selves before sleeping.