ATEYO TeSYAKSYUK: TSULFATU

Started by Ateyo Te Syaksyuk, January 10, 2012, 01:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ateyo Te Syaksyuk

499)~ The celebration for the two new boats had been quite raucous the night before.  Although there wasn't enough Kava to get anyone heavily inebriated, the drumming, laughing, singing and storytelling had gone on until all the moons had disappeared.  The celebration for the baby had been much quieter and involved nothing more than a sip for those who wished.  Perhaps a more enthusiastic celebration would occur when the child was named.  But this quiet celebration had been sufficient.
   The baby's cries awakened Ateyo before the sun. Pxepxi had quieted her at once but now Ateyo was awake and staring at the ceiling of the cave. 
  "Ohakx", thought Ateyo.  "The baby should be called Hunger."  She smiled to herself for her cleverness, not knowing that Kofi had had the same thought the previous day.
  She was thinking that the clans needed to make Kava for future celebrations. It was good that the aysahik had found the Kava for the celebration, but it seemed that that would best be used by the aysahik to achieve Visions.  Special.  They all would need to make some Kava for other celebrations.  There should be a celebration for the naming of the clans, naming of the ayeyktan, (nothing formal had ever been done), naming of the babies, (there would soon be two.) 
  She lay in her double husahaw rìk (sleeping leaf) with Tai at her side. And wrapped around her.  In fact, Tai's hand rested just above the edge of her tewng (loincloth) and just over her bladder.  Which needed, of course, to be emptied.
  "Ma Tai." she whispered. "Zene oe kä uoutral." (I need to go behind the tree.)  Which was the colloquial way of saying she needed to relieve herself.  The polite way was to say, "Zene oe fngivä  kä." (I must go relieve myself.) But such formalities were not called for between them.
  "Slä sngä'i zene ngal oeti pom." (But first you must kiss me.)
   Ateyo stopped long enough for a few hasty tìng pom's and trotted out the opening of the cave.  The trench was situated near the cave, but far away enough that the smell was not noticeable.  Off shore breezes also kept the stench from intruding.  Ateyo trotted over the knoll and down toward the trench, grabbing a wooden shovel on the way.  It was a busy place every morning. Everyone used the trench but carefully avoided eye contact. Some people avoided the communal pit and went off into the na'rìng alone.  Or in pairs.  No one wanted to encounter ioang ayrr (a wild beast) with one's tewng down! 
   At the crest of the knoll, she was pleased that someone had set out a kettle of warm water and a stack of ayrìk aeanean.  She took a soft blue leaf and washed her face and hands and tossed the leaf into the pit.  The kettle was a battered old one of fngap, metal, which had been acquired from Kxukxi, Georgia Barnes, perhaps.  She reminded herself to thank her in the future.  She heard the shell horn sounding from the top of the cave.  Tsahik Syulang Aean had taken that responsibility on herself. People were being roused from slumber and called to Greet the Sun.
   Leaving the pit and the knoll behind her, Ateyo proceeded down the slope of the cave following her nose toward the more pleasant smells of the ylltxep.  Something interesting was being cooked! She made her way down carefully in the predawn darkness.  Others were starting to emerge from the cave.
   "Kxawm, lesngä'ì oel tìng ftxì fìsyuveti!" (Perhaps I will be the first to taste this food.)  But as she descended the short distance to the ylltxep, it became apparent that a small number of people were already gathered there.
   Again Tsahik Syulang Aean sounded the shell horn.
   "Trr lffpom, Ma Frapo." (good day everyone) Ateyo announced.
At which point the eastern sky began to glimmer and the shell horn, 'otxangä sum,  sounded for the third time.  The timing was coincidental, but Sharon saw it as humorous. 
   "Tewti Ma Ateyo! Ke omum oer fwa ngal tsakxeti kxeykeltek." (Dang, Ateyo! I didn't know that you cause to sun to rise!) Everyone laughed at the absurdity of the observation.  Ateyo turned purple with embarrassment, but managed to reply,
   "Kea tìkin!  Eywa tung oer tsameuia krro krro!" (No big deal.  Eywa allows me that honor from time to time.)
   Ateyo caught movement from the corner of her eye at the top of the cliffs above.  The Ayikran had positioned themselves to catch the morning rays of warmth as the sun sliced through the trees.  Her Atanvi shone bronze-colored.  He was quite breathtaking.  Seeing all the brightly colored wings made Ateyo grateful and happy.  She raised her arms to the rising sun, as others did also.  Someone's sweet voice started a melody.  Other voices joined the first, creating a complex woven blanket of sound.  It was gratifying to find a harmony and improvise, adding her voice to the tapestry. It only lasted for a while, and the voices diminished to a low hum.
   She felt Tai's hands upon her upraised ones and allowed her to bring them down to her sides.  Tai then wrapped her arms around Ateyo as the crowd dispersed.
   "Oeru sunu fwa meyan fìtsap!"  (For me I like that we hug each other) Ateyo murmured.
   "Oe nìteng." agreed Tai on the top of Ateyo's head.
   "Menga lu ahona nìhawng!" (You two are excessively adorable!) laughed Taifa' as he and Ka'alani, Kofi, Pxepxi and the baby joined them.
   "Ayoel ylltxepit kä ne tse'a syuveti alu 'erem, ko.  (Let's go see what food is cooking.)
  They were only a few steps away.  The smell was unknown to Ateyo, but Taifa' was almost sure what it was.
  "Rewon lefpom, Ma Payoang.  Pe'u lu mihuru? Srake lu kläm?"  Good morning, Payoang. (What thing is in the cooking pot? Yes/No. it is clams?)
   Payoang smiled with incomprehension.  Sharon had used that word earlier.
   "Fo lu mesomä swirä."  (They are two shelled creatures.)  "Ma S'rron syaw fo tsali'u, kläm, nìteng." (Sharon calls them that word, clam, as well.) 
  "Munge sumsey ulte 'may."  (Take a shell cup and taste.)
   The sounds of satisfaction were pleasing to Payoang's ears. And his ego.  What cook does not like his food praised?
  "Nga lu 'emyu akosman! Petseng fko run ayfo?" (You are a wonderful cook! Where does one find these?) asked Kofi who had also joined the conversation.
  "Tseng klämä lu mìkam fìtseng sì olo' oeyä.  Ayoe tsun wìntxu petseng klämä lu.  Ma S'rron sì Olo'AoTxampxay lu zera'u ayoehu mawkrr wutzo."  (The place of the clams is between this place and my clan.  We can show where the clam's place is.  Sharon and the Undersea Clan are coming with us after the meal.)
  "Txantsan!  Oe new za'u nìteng!" (Great! I want to come too!) blurted Kofi.
He slapped his hands over his mouth, wondering if Pxepxi would feel abandoned if he went along. But Pxepxi was laughing at him for his awkward display.
  "Kä! Kä! Moe lu 'ivi'awn fìtsenge!" (Go! Go! We two will remain here!) Pxepxi was referring to herself and the infant.  She knew he was feeling that he was out of place and restless.
  " 'Ivi'awn nìteng oe." (I will stay as well.) informed Ateyo of Tai.
Payoang said,  "Skxakep fo tìvatäw sre txon'ong. Oeyä uranyu liyu tìvatäw ne olo' ayoengä." (They will probably return before nightfall.  My boaters are returning to our clan.)
   There were many happy exchanges, thanking Payoang and his fellows for all their help.  Soon the canoes were loaded and everyone was in the lagoon once again to see-off the two canoes amidsts shouts of "Hayalovay" and "Eywa Ngahu."
   Scolding cries came from overhead. The ayikran winged into the sky from their cliff perches, watching to see which of their riders were departing.  They had been denied for long enough.  Ateyo could see that some ikran had already claimed their riders.  Aymaktoyu (riders) each flew past, gesturing invitingly.
  "Za'u nìprrte ayoehu, ma Tsmuke!" they shouted. (Come with us, Sister!)
   "Oe tìvatäw nì'ìt, ma 'ite!"  (I will return in a little bit, my daughter.)  Ateyo gave her daughter and the baby a little kiss and ran off to the cliff where Atanvi sat impatiently.  She petted him and gave him a Kläm, as a treat.  He wanted to trail the canoes, but Ateyo impressed upon him her desire to stay near because of the baby and her daughter.  This meant that Tai's ikran, Pìwopx Srewyu (Cloud Dancer) had already left to follow Tai. 
   Ateyo offered her tswin to Atanvi.  She had missed the rush of awareness that only this creature could share.  Atanvi conveyed to her his reluctance to remain behind.  She promised to ride him everyday and sent him loving thoughts.  Pleased with that promises Atanvi turned and launched himself from the cliff, hearing Ateyo shout YAWO (air launch) and enjoyed the thrill of sharing his experience with his two-legged friend once again.
   Gazing up at her mother, flying above the lagoon, Pxepxi realized that she would have to delay having her own ikran for a long while.  She sighed and cuddled the wonderful armful of tiny Na'vi in her arms, wondering if she could fashion a warm carry-pouch for her baby for riding.  She sat on a log next to Ateyo's sister, Kristy Castillo, whom was called Twiti. (Tweety)
   Twiti had an array of leather scraps, tools, and various reeds around her and she was busy making something.
   "Srake, moe tsun hiveyn ngahu?" (Yes/no, we two can sit with you?)
   "Nìlun, Ma Pxepxi!" she moved some of her materials to allow room for her and the her baby.  Pxepxi watched for a while and finally asked;
  "Pe'u lu ngerop?" (What thing are you creating?)
   Twiti displayed her work in progress.  "Oe ngerop nga' fpi prrnen sì ngar."  (I am creating a container for the sake of baby and for you.)  The leather pouch was fashioned with various straps. "Oe fpìl tsnì sivunu ngar. Fì'u liyu alakxsi krra prrnenä sä'eoio."  (I think that you will like it.  This thing will be ready in time for the baby's ceremony.)  It would be a gift for the naming ceremony.
   "Txantsan!  Sämunge! (wonderful! a carrying device!)  Set tsun oel prrnenit oeyä hena oehu krra tswayon! (Now I can carry my baby when I fly!)
   Twiti understood that the young mother had not achieved Iknimaya and had wondered if it was now inappropriate.  Other Na'vi mothers had assured her otherwise. They sat together throughout the day.  Pxepxi divulged her ideas and dreams to the former star traveller.  It was clear that motherhood had not quenched her curiosity about such things.  She was determined to follow through with her desire to fly her own ikran and see the other moons of the Pandoran system.
   The day progressed as they sat together.  People tossed their nets into the lagoons.  Others sat weaving burden baskets.  Some flew over the lagoon with fishing nets stretched between their ayikran, fishing in the manner that the people of Dark Lake had shown them.
   Later in the day, Ka'alani stood up and massaged her back as pregnant women will do. 
   "FNU!" (Quiet!) She gestured and cocked her head.  "Tìng mikyun. Stawm oel aymokrit alu rerol!" (Listen! I hear voices which are singing.) Pregnant though she was, she scrambled hurriedly to the top of cave/rock, with Pxepxi and Twiti right behind her.  They stood with the wind in their faces.  The offshore breezes carried the voices up to their them.
   "E ALA E!  They are singing a Hawaiian chant!  Look! They have come through the breakers.  Although she recognized the Hawaiian tune, she wondered how her Samoan husband had learned the words.  As she gazed over the waters, she realized that he was not singing, it was the canoe of the Undersea Renegades.  The two canoes were racing across the wide lagoon with the dugout of the Renegades pulling ahead.
E ala e, ka lâ i ka hikina, (Awaken/Arise, the sun in the east,)
I ka moana, ka moana hohonu, (From the ocean, the ocean deep,)
Pi`i ka lewa, ka lewa nu`u, (Climbing (to) the heaven, the heaven highest,)
I ka hikina, aia ka lâ, e ala e! (In the east, there is the sun, awaken!)
   It was, in fact, late afternoon, not sunrise, but the rhythm made for a good paddling song.  By this time, all who had been near the ylltxep had climbed upon the top of the cave/rock and were watching them race toward the shore.  The ayikran riders wheeled overhead, cheering on the racers.  The chant was powering on the racers of AoTxapayä Sute, but Olo' Samoana was close on their tails.  Tai' and Taifa were calling a cadence, but the paddlers in that canoe were pretty well exhausted. Still, the Undersea Renegades won by only half a boat length, or less.
   Laughing, they pulled their two canoes onto the beach. The ayikran landed on the beach as well.
   "SHEEZ!" sputtered Taifa'ana'i.  "How you fella make so fast with the paddle?!"
   Sharon was ecstatic with their victory.  "Don't feel too bad, Taifa'!  What you didn't know is that our research group was also an outrigger canoe team when we weren't undersea in the trench in Hawai'i!" 
    The story was translated for everyone to enjoy the laugh. 
    Remembering the reason for the excursion, Taifa' shouted, "Ayoengil ayklämit rolun!" (We have found clams!) "Kllkulat umut ayoengil ko!" (Let's dig a pit oven!) This idea pleased everyone, and soon everyone turned toward the ylltxep.  Wooden shovels were procured and immediately a pit was produced.  Some gathered seawood, some gathered rocks, and some gathered driftwood and scraps from the place which canoes were built.  Ateyo and Tsahik Alexsi reverently brought embers from the sacred fire of the ylltxep.
   "Ayoengil Eywati irayo seiyi txepur aswok." (We give thanks to Eywa for sacred fire.) Tsahik Alekxsi had a reverential awe inspired look on her face.
   "Ulte irayo seiyi ayklämit nìteng!" (And thank you for the clams as well!)
The reverential mood was disrupted, but many added their thanks for the uranyu (boaters) and their muscles.

Ateyo Te Syaksyuk

500)~  Exhausted, the canoe racers hauled their boats out of the water. The others greeted the homecoming heroes with exuberance and the ever-present flower leis that  Ka'alani always seemed to be making.  There was time to relax and get shoulder and back massages while the fire was stoked and the bed of coals was prepared.  Each tsahik laid out her woven mat, and each paddler chose a tsahik to care for their aching muscles.  Tatyana also produced a first aid kit and applied salve and bandages to the blistered hands.  She had brought her skin replication device with her, though she was concerned about using it with all the sand around. Sand in the device might cause it to burn up and fail. But, sand in a blister might cause infection.  The aysahik had a number of antiseptic ointments on hand, too.  She would simply have to learn how to identify them and use them.  New and old medical techniques combined!
   Apparently, the blisters caused from building canoes - chopping hardwoods with stone tools - had not quite healed when the race was declared.  There was need to replicate much tissue because most everyone had paddled hard enough to peel the skin away.  Only a small skin sample was needed, though.  The device was handheld and only produced small patches, which sufficed for blister treatments.  She was pleased with herself for rigging up the solar panel with which to charge the battery. And she was glad that she had carried these items with her from the ISV.  With her scalpel she gently removed skin from the open edge of Kofi's blister, under the watchful eyes of his family, with Tai, Sharon, and Taifa' blocking any possible wind from Tatyana's "operating theater".
   "Auwe, you fella was huki the paddle some kine!" exclaimed his mother Ka'alani.
   "What means huki, ma Ka'alani?" asked Ateyo. 
   "Huki ral za'ärìp, PULL, tafral fkol payit za'ärìp fa paddle." (Huki means PULL, because One PULLs the water by means of paddle." Ka'alani pantomimed the paddling gesture, and didn't remember the word Ateyo tried to teach her for paddle, which was, sä'o za'ärìp pay, tool which pulls water.  There was no way she could explain the expression, Kine -kind of, which meant genuine, among the Hawaiians, when they spoke pidgin between themselves.
   "Auwe! Pe'u fì'u?"  (What thing is this thing?) asked Kofi in his pidgin Hawaiian-Na'vi.   "Oel tsat sär sämunge fpi rikx aykläm!" (I can use that to move clams!)
   "Kehe! Ma muntxatan ayaymak! (No, my foolish husband) "Fì'u lu nga' fpi munge mengeyä prrnen!" (That thing is a container for the sake of carrying our baby!) protested Pxepxi.
   "Kosman!  Tìfmetok." (Wonderful! a trial!)
CRACK! went Pxepxi's wooden spoon, on the top of Kofi's head.
Pxepxi had delivered a playful blow to his noggin with the spoon which Ateyo had once ceremoniously presented her.  Mocking injury, he rubbed his head. 
   "Fyape fkol tìkanghem si hu metsyokx leskxir ulte re'o leskxir?!!" (How can One work with two wounded hands and a wounded head!?)  This was delivered with mock indignation, but everyone had their laugh.   
    Unloading the clams from the canoes was quite a task.  They were heavy and had thick shells.  They had to be hugged with two arms.  But a chain was formed and quickly they were handed one to the other, and laid upon the coals of the fire which had burned down to the proper whiteness.   It had been oddly amusing to watch the paddlers move the huge clams from person to person using their arms, but not their hands.
The clams were laid on a bed of seaweed which had been heaped on the bed of coals.  Fish wrapped in palm leaves, and various fkxen (vegetables) were added.  Another layer of seaweed was added before the pit oven, (umu, in Hawaiian) was covered over.  Nothing was left to be done but to wait.  So almost everyone walked down to the lagoon and waded in.
  The aytolfìn were cavorting and dancing in the lagoon, yet each stopped playing and sought out their respective Na'vi friend.   Soon, each pair was Bonded in blissful Tsaheylu. Ateyo's tolfìn was puzzled that Ateyo was transmitting a sense of guilt. Betrayal.   She sensed the confusion from her tolfìn and tried to convey
thoughts about her lonely Atanvi, whom she had promised to ride daily.
  Immediately, the Laughing Sea Creature wanted to know if Ateyo wanted to break tsahelyu.  Ateyo decided to lay aside guilt and ride Atanvi afterwards.  Ateyo thought she might want to share a fishing net between Atanvi and Tai's ikran, Pìwopx Tsrewyu. (Cloud Dancer)  She visualized the two ikran carrying the net in their talons, but even in her imagination, the scheme failed.  The sizes of the two ikran were vastly different, so that idea was hardly feasible. 
   The tolfìn, though, presented and image of Atanvi hauling a smaller net by himself.  Ateyo was amazed that 'aw) her tolfìn was not jealous of Atanvi and was suggesting a manner for Atanvi and Ateyo to spend time together, mune) the tolfìn was suggesting the use of a tool which the creature could not possibly need or use, ulte pxey) the tolfìn was suggesting a variant of the net used by two ikran.  Ateyo was dumbfounded and conveyed a deep IRAYO SEIYI toward her finny friend. 
   This pleased the tolfìn, who then shared other concepts which were being communicated through the water.  There were images of a very shallow lagoon and aytolfìn happily feeding on crustaceans.  The sense of sharing a delicacy was somehow conveyed, and also the revelation of a reserved fishing spot.  Ateyo conveyed her honor at being given this information.
   As a "kea tìkin" the tolfìn merely broke tsaheylu, swam a quick lap around Ateyo and launched into a tail-walk, laughing and chattering all the way.  Seemingly, all sessions were ended simultaneously.  All the aytolfin swam to open water to feed, and the Na'vi crawled onto the rocks, steaming in the sun. 
   "Just like Kläms," thought Ateyo.  She could smell the oven pits being uncovered and saw steam rising from the umu below. Just as her stomach grumbled she could hear Kxukxi shout; "Za'u nìprrte!  AyKläm alakxsi lu!" (ome pleasurably.  The clams are ready!)

Georgia Barnes, Kxukxi, had set up a "serving" line with a stack of woven mats at one end.  Her crew had even devised woven oven mitts to protect their hands when pulling the steaming clams up from the cooking pit.  Using a rounded stone blade and with a deft, circular motion, they cut the meat loose from the clam shells and lined them up on a log.
Those who could not carry the heavy shells, simply opted to put the meat on a yomyo lerìk (leaf platter).  Various baked fish and fkxen were also available, and lots of herbs and spices were in baskets on the line with which to season the clams.  Everyone assembled around the ylltxep, which wasn't far from the umu, under its shady Fale, (thatched Samoan style hut) Cleanup would be easy.  Kxukxi would simply have some of the youngsters haul the empty clamshells away from the beach and allow the ayhì'ang (insects) to clean the remainders off the shells!  She and her crew were just entering the ylltxep area as others were finishing their meals.  As the few remaining shells were taken away, Sharon stood up, and because of her position as one of the Pxeyktan that were present, everyone stopped speaking, and listened.
   "I was shown something today, a creature that can be added to our food supply, but only rarely, as there are only two locations anywhere near here at all, where it lives, and we don't want to over harvest them. They look like what we called Mantis Shrimp on 'Rrta, but are the size of the lobsters that were on 'Rrta, which would require us to use care in collecting them, lest we get broken fingers for our troubles."
   She was remembering the docu-images she had seen of the colorful little pugilistic crustaceans. 
   "With the size that these shrimp are, we could only have them for special occasions, and then, because of their size, only collect enough for two shrimp per Na'vi.   What do we think about that?"
By closing her statement with the question, Sharon opened the discussion for public comment, of which there were several questions.
Georgia Barnes, the official chef of the 'olo Sanhìäsute, raised her hand, and said, "The thing that I think that we should do, is to kill these creatures humanely as possible, so I suggest that we place them into already rapidly boiling water, the way that we did with lobsters on 'Rrta.  I've got huge pots that we brought down from the ISV."
  A lively discussion ensued concerning the definition of humane, as in being boiled alive, and whether "humane" was an appropriate word now that they were all Na'vi and not human.  Ateyo and the other "born as Na'vi" found the discussion amusing and irrelevant. 
   Ateyo assumed her status as Tsahik and proclaimed,
   "All alive creatures eat other alive creatures."
A voice from the edge of the gathering proclaimed,
   "Fko rusey ayswiräl yom fkxenit, nì'aw. Some living creatures eat freggies only!"  It was an ongoing, if somewhat repetitious argument.  It was decided, though, that rather than hear lobsters being boiled, some would opt to eat fkxen on the other side of the beach.
  Ateyo walked away shaking her head.  "Kxawm, ayfo keomum Rey'eng." (Perhaps, they don't understand the Balance of Life.)
Tai wrapped her arm and her kxetse around Ateyo as they walked.  "Kxawm, ayfo rä'ä new sleyku le Sawtute, tì'awpo nì'aw." (Perhaps they don't want to become like SkyPeople. Selfishness only.)
   Ateyo paused and considered, "Oeru sunu sur veyä fkan fwang lu.  Tsfral oe sleyku SAWTUTE?!"  (To me I like the savory flavor of meat.  For that reason I am SKYPERSON?!)  Ateyo and Tai continued to walk away laughing.

Ateyo Te Syaksyuk

501)~ "Oel ngati takuk fa mauti apxa!" (I strike you with big fruit!) sang out Ateyo from the treetops.  Indeed, a huge over ripe juicy one splatted at TaiTaeAo's feet.
"HA! Nìnu, Nìnu, Nìnu!" Tai sang out in a child's sing-song taunt from yesteryear.
The word Nìnu means -not achieving the desired effect-  and, ironically it also means FRUITlessly.  It was Tai's inside joke and she didn't pause to explain it nor her ensuing taunt: "Ya missed me! Ya missed me! Now ya gotta kiss me!" Tai was looking up making kissing sounds.  Ateyo's response was to vigorously shake the branches, causing  plump, over-ripened fruit to come raining down upon them all!
  "Ftang! FTANG!" (stop! STOP!)
  "Tam! Tam! Ma'teyo!" (enough! enough!) came the chorus of responses below.
  "Syak Syuk! Syak Syuk! Syak syuk!" was the laughing reply from Ateyo, in a fair approximation of the call made by the tree dwelling creatures after whom she had taken her name.  She was rewarded by responding calls from elsewhere in the forest.  She wondered if they would arrive to join her treetop antics.
  Two of the three Clans, Olo'Samoana, and Olo'Sanhia Sute were gathering fruit to ferment into Kava for the upcoming ceremonies. The people from Olo'Ao Txampay and Eyktan Tael Karbaki (Dale Garbacki) of Sanhìä, had flown off to Blue Heart Gate for the purpose of studying Pandoran Clam shells.  Ateyo wondered if their absence would somehow revoke their privilege of imbibing Kava.  She would have to listen to conversations to determine if there existed any resentment from the other two clans.  She hoped not.  She had overheard an exchange between Tael Karbaki and Tai and Sharon.  The words deemed harsh and disparaging to her ear, but they all walked away laughing after they had shook hands in their ayHumon fashion.
   The harvesting of fruit itself had become a festive occasion.  The stream and waterfalls that ran behind the cave, (and flowed into its bottom) was lined with Trees of Voices and various fruit trees.   Fruit was gathered into sturdy baskets.  The steaming forest floor was littered with the rotting fruit.  Ka'alani, in her pregnant condition, sat beside a basket, sorting out the suitable from the unsuitable.  She had learned that a "perfectly rotten" fruit had traces of green spores upon the outside.  However, some fungus was good, other kinds were bad.  Ateyo had schooled her well.
   "A krr tivätxaw aylahetu?" (What time will return other people?) asked Ka'alani.  She wasn't sure if she should just say alahe sute,  other people.  She got a strange look from the Pandoran-born Na'vi, but Tai answered her.
  "Ma S'rron pamllte fayluta, San, 'Ayoe tivätxaw skakep trray', Sìk'." (Sharon said these words, Quote 'We will return probably tomorrow', Unquote.")
  "Fayli'u irayo seiyi, Ma S'rron." murmured Ka'alani, grateful that she was understood. She wondered if there would be resentment that Sharon and the others were not participating in the making of Kava. She shrugged it off without asking.  It seemed to her that the Na'vi, even the New Ones, accepted the fact that each person contributed to the collective good in many ways. Even if they didn't understand exactly how or what was being contributed.
  "Rangal tsnì oel kiva hu ayfot ne Plu Hart Geyt ro," said Pxepxi wistfully. (I wish that I could go with them to Blue Heart Gate.)  Her baby started fussing, perceiving her mother's agitation even though they were not in tsaheylu.
   "Tam, tam. Mawey livu, ma prrnen afrr." (there-there, Calm yourself, Sweet Baby.)
    "Tì'efumì oeyä oe ke tswivangayon ikranmì." (In my opinion, I will never fly an ikran.) She groused to no one in particular.  But she engaged her baby's expressive eyes and they smiled at each other. "Your fault only!" she said in English, surprising Ka'alani, who wondered where she had heard the retelling in Inglìsì. 
  Kofi, hearing the phrase in Na'vi, decided to share his rendition of the retelling:
   "Look at me, I a Plu Na'vi , I sit in tree, and eat your eye for JUJUBEE!"
He was successful in getting the infant to smile at him, but not so with Pxepxi.  He would do anything to make his wife feel happy.  She always seemed to be mildly aggravated since the arrival of their child.
   "I know what you need!" exclaimed Tweety, forgetting to speak Na'vi.  "Kin may ngal nga'ti  prrnenä. You need to test ride the baby container!"
   Pxepxi scowled as she tried to decipher the words. "Ngal ngati?" It didn't really make sense.
   "Kehe, Ma Pxepxi. Nga'ti. NGA' ti." Tweety emphasized the glottal stop.  She was talking about the container, NGA'."
  "Nga' prrnenä!  Nìlun!  Oel kiva ulte zamunge fiu!"  (The Baby Container!  Of Course! I'll go and bring it!"  Kofi bounded into the cave and returned a few minutes later with the device.  Together, the three of them wrapped the infant in the container and situated her on Pxepxi's back.
   "Papoose in a cradle board!"  Tweety didn't try to explain the history of the American Indian.
   "Pa poos!" exclaimed Pxepxi.
   It was difficult to convince Kofi that the child needed to face backward for the flight.  He felt she should be able to peer forward over Pxepxi's shoulder.  He muttered that he should make a tiny pair of Renten, flying goggles, for the baby.  No one seemed to take him seriously.  But Pxepxi was excited and happy now.  That was all that mattered to him.
   Ka'alani had called for break in their labors.  Tweety escorted the family to the bottom of the cliff and gave out a whistle for Bronco to descend.
   "Syaw fa fwefwi!" (Call by means of whistle) said Kofi, just because it sounded so funny to say it.  He covered the baby's eyes with his hand as Bronco raised the sand in a cloud.  "Oel zene sleyku rentenay!" (I must make little goggles,) he thought. 
   "Ma Twiti!" he said,  "Furìa oe irayo seiyi."  (For this I thank you.) He nearly had tears in his eyes.  Kofi stood by, watching his young wife and child become acquainted with the ikran.   He "helped" Pxepxi mount the ikran behind Twiti with a well-placed hand on her rump.
  "Rä'ä 'ampi oeyä txìm!" (Don't touch my butt!) she warned .  But she didn't sound very threatening because she was laughing.
  "Srake, alaksi, Ma Pxepxi?" (Yes/No, are you ready Pxepxi?)
  "SRANE! Ka ko!" (YES! Let's go!)
   "YAYO!!!" shouted Tweety.  (Air Launch!)
   Pxepxi knew the exhilaration of flight once again. Even as a passenger, it was thrilling to experience the power of the wings, pulling them into the sky.  The ocean spray in her face.  The rush of moving through air.  She shared tsaheylu with her child.  She felt the wonderment from the little one and recognized that the babe was calmed by the sound of Pxepxi's own beating heart and the slow pulsations of ikran wings.  The baby drifted off to sleep and their tsaheylu connection drifted apart.  Pxepxi focused on the joy of the ride and the memories of riding behind Ateyo.  Someday she would ride her own ikran and her daughter would ride behind with her.  She laughed with joy.  It would happen.  She didn't know when.  But she knew it would happen.

Ateyo Te Syaksyuk

502)  "Ma Kxukxi!  Ayoeru kin apxa huru fpiKavaru." (Cookie, we need a large cooking pot for the sake of Kava),  exclaimed Ka'alani.
   "Huru? cooking pot?  Nìlun!  Slä oer syaw Eyrina Tìrol." (of course, but call me Eyrina Tìrol.)
   "Eyrina?  I thought your name was Georgia."
   "Srane, slä tsa tstxo lu ngäzik plltxe Na'viru." (Yes, but that name is difficult to say for the Na'vi.)
   At this point, Ateyo, who had climbed down from the trees, interjected,
   "Slä, Ngaru lu tstxo Tsortsa!" (But to you is the name Tsortsa) Which only proved her point.  The name was nearly unrecognizable.
   Georgia merely smiled and protested, "Oeru sunu tstxo Eyrina Tìrol.  Pomìri lu nìul'ul mikyun oeyä!"  (I like the name Eyrina Tìrol.  The sound is better to my ear.)
  "Ayrina Tìrol ral (means) Seeds Song!" Ateyo was quick to point out. 
   "Kehe! Eyrina! Kea Ayrina." (No! Eyrina! Not Ayrina)
   "Eyrina."  Ateyo rehearsed the name for a few moments. 
   "Eyrina Tìrol.  Txantsan!  Ulte nga lu eyawr.  Fìtstxo lu ftue 'ul ne plltxe!  Oel fmi tstxot ngeyä fmok.  (Wonderful! And you are right. This name is more easy to say.  I will try to remember your name.)
   "Mì Inglìsì oeyä tstxo mune lu Carol. Carol ral Tìrol, nìteng!" (In English my second name is Carol. Carol means Song,also.)
  "Ngar lu tstxo mune?" (You have a second name?)  "Ayngeyä prrnenur ketstxo kaw'it." (Our baby doesn't have a name at all!) Ateyo had seated herself next to her daughter and her granddaughter and was now cooing at the infant.
  "Srane pum poer lu!  Ayoel pe'un."  (Yes she has one. We have decided!)
  At this point, Kofi came over to the group.  Overhearing the conversation, he added,
   "Pum lu nìteng to tstxo Tutuä sanu oeyä: Aulani!" (It is the same one as my mother's Tutu: Aulani!)
   "Tutu?" asked Ateyo
   "Sanokur sanu peyä. Grandmother. Tutu."  (Mother of her mother.  Grandmother. Tutu)
   "Srake? Fìli'u lu Inglìsì?" (Yes/No this word is English?)
   "Kehe, Ma Ateyo.  Tutu lu li'u Hawaiian. Li'fya fizayu oeyä."  (No, my dear Ateyo.  Tutu is Hawai'ian.  The language of my ancestors), explained Ka'alani.
"Nga lu sanu Pxepxiru, ulte Pxepxi lu sanu Aulaniru.  Tafral nga lu Tutu Aulaniru!"
(You are the Mom of Pxepxi, and Pxepxi is the Mom of Aulani.  Therefore you are the Tutu, grandmother, of Aulani.)
   Ateyo digested that information and caressed the baby's head.  "Ma Aulani. Oe lu Tutu ngeyä!"  (My dear Aulani. I am your grandmother!)  The look of amazement filled her eyes.  She was a GRANDmother.  She shook off the realization and came back to the topic.
   "Fìtrr oe kolar me txtso! (Today I have learned two names): Tìrol ulte Aulani.  She wondered at all the upcoming naming ceremonies and Iknimaya celebrations and Clan naming celebrations ---
   "Tse ayoengil zene hawl txana Kavati!" (Well, we need to prepare more Kava!)
  "Za'u, Ma Ateyo.  Moel hurut tsivun run set." Laughed Eyrina. (Come Ateyo.  We Two can find a cooking pot.  She had in mind and industrial-sized stainless steel pot which she cooked stews in.  It would do until they acquired some huge earthenware pots from Olo'Vawma Ora.  The Dark Lake Clan was known as good potters.
   "Ayoengil horoti ftu Olo'Vawma Ora zene kanom."  (We, cooking pot from Dark Lake Clan,must acquire,) mentioned Ateyo.
   "Säfpìl asteng tìkan ateng!"(Great minds think alike!)" agreed Eyrina.  "Tsat livu sop asìltsan!" (That will be a good journey.)
   "Road trip!  Road trip!" shouted Twiti with enthusiasm. (Do you think ikrans could carry one in a net?) She tempered her enthusiasm and added in Na'vi; "Srake, fpivìl ayngar fwa ikranil tsun hena pum fa sämunge alu hän?"

"It might take a while to acquire such a thing.  At any rate, we can start the fermentation process in one of our stainless steel kettles." suggested Eyrina. 
  "Aystxelìri fa yoa, zene ayoengil pe'un zamunge."  (As to gifts for the purpose of exchange, we must decide to bring.) stated Ateyo, wondering what they had which could be of commensurate value. 
  "Txantsan!  Ayoeng zene pe'un, pxiset!" (Wonderful!  We must decide right now!) suggested Tsahik Syulang Aean.  And so, as fruit was sorted into the stainless steel kettles, the aysahik and the rest of the clans people sat and decided which items should be prepared for the trade journey, who would carry what, and when the excursion would take place.
   "Sìlpey tsnì tätxivaw Olo'äoTampay hum lisre ayoengil. (I hope that the Under Sea Clan will return before we leave.)  said Ateyo.
  "Sìlpey tsnì tätxivaw Olo'äoTampay lisre prrnen za'u!"  Said Ka'alani as she struggled to her feet.  (I hope that the Under Sea Clan returns before the baby comes!)   "Set zene za'u uoUtral.  Fìprrnen srerew nemfa tokx oeyä." (Now I must go 'behind the Tree'.  This baby is dancing within my body!)  'Bladder', she thought.  'I wish I knew the word for bladder.'  She decided that she would let them hash out the details.  She herself, she would need to stay close no matter where anyone else was going!  What she wanted now, rather than to relieve her bladder, was to be in the lagoon.  Maybe Pxepxi and Little Aulani would go down with her later.  The buoyancy of the water always relieved the pressure on her back. 
  When she returned from her trip behind the tree, she found that the meeting was adjourned.  She and the little family walked down the twinkling path and entered the gentle lagoon.

Ateyo Te Syaksyuk

503)~ The rest of the day was spent gathering seaweed from the lagoon and cave entrance.  With Little Aulani strapped to her back, Pxepxi was able to help with much of the chores.  Ka'alani, however, was content to ride with her tolfìn, which first, had to content herself by administering a sonogram.  She shared the image with her two-legged friend, though she was dismayed to relay the image:  the child seemed to be malformed.  It's genital organs were displayed on the outside of its body! 
  After a startled moment, Ka'alani was able to convey the fact that all human males had their genitals on the outside of their body.  Her tolfìn had failed to see any advantage in this configuration.  Doubtfully, she approached Kofi and gave him a searching echogram.  She then swam around him in an exuberant circle and then danced on the water upon her tail.
   "Sanu!  Tsatolfìn herangham ro oer!" (Mom! That dolphin is laughing at me!)
He was frustrated that her response was laughter.
  "Ayswiräl keng fpìl oeti lu stongyu pak!" (Even the creatures think I am a strange one!)  Perhaps he was feeling outnumbered.  None of the younger guys had accompanied them into the lagoon.  His mother, Ka'alani, and his wife, Pxepxi, were giggling behind their hands, which only served to irritate him the more.  But Pxepxi waded up to him and sought his arms, but he asked in a wounded voice,
   "Pelun tsaswirä herangham ro oer?" (Why is that creature laughing at me?)
   "Tam, tam." soothed Pxepxi.  "They are simply unaccustomed to your anatomy.  But I have good news."
   Kofi was already feeling his resentment and embarrassment melt away as he gazed at his baby and caused her to smile.
  "Fmawnpe?" (What news?)
   For a moment, Pxepxi didn't know whether he had spoken to her or was making noises at the baby.
  "Tsaswirä  pllte fwa ngar livu tsmukanay!" (That dolphin says that to you will be a little brother!)
  "Tsmukanay?!  Tsmukantsyìp?! (a little brother?! a Little Brother?!) AYNGARU LU TSMUKANTSYìP!!"  (To us is a Little Brother!) He shouted the good news to those on shore, but swam out three laps to where his mother was laughing.
  "Ma Sanu!  Pxepxi polltxe oer fmawn a sìltsan!"  (Mom, Pxepxi has told me the good news!)  He took her in his arms and gently gave her a hug.
"Tsmukan oeyä livu 'ewan'ul to 'ite oeyä."  (My brother will be more young than my daughter.)
   "Srane!  Ulte livu oer tutu sì sanok nìteng!" replied Ka'alani.  (Yes and I will be a Grandmother and a Mother as well!)
The aytolfìn were squeaking and chattering for joy, swimming in circles and dancing on their tails.  The festivities went on for a long while before they were interrupted by shouts from atop the cave and from the treetops;
"ZA'U FO!  ZA'U FO!"  (They come!  They come!)
The watchman alerted the firekeeper, who added damp seaweed to cause smoke, making an impromptu windsock for the purpose of landing the aircraft.
Looking to the West, they all waited to see the appearance of the rotor wings coming over the horizon.  Then, all splashed their way back to the beach with their good news.
   The Samson gingerly alighted in the grassy area between the beach and the edge of the rainforest.  There were excited exchanges between old friends.  The one named Dan Warren from Olo'äoTxampay, was particularly happy when he saw someone descending from the crew door.
   "Sìkat Kxomstxokx!"  Dan was so excited to see the familiar face that he forgot to be ashamed that he had frozen, once the fighting began in the Control Room at Hell's Gate, back in the Old Days, during the Battle for the Well of Souls.  In truth, they had both worked together to undermine the efforts of Colonel Quaritch's attack. 
   Kofi looked at this face.  There was something familiar about him.  He watched as introductions were made.  Sharon was introducing Scott to the ayeyktan and aysahik of the ayolo'.  Everyone was touching their foreheads in the gesture of greeting, saying their 'Oel ngati kameie's.  Sharon introduced Tai and Ateyo, who each seemed to remember Sìkat. Tai was introducing her cousin, Taifana'e, and in turn, Taifa' was introducing his wife, Ka'alani, and then turned to him.  Their eyes met as they gestured Oel Ngati Kameie.  And paused.
   "Srane!" said Kofi in a voice too loud to be polite. "Oel ngati zerok!" (I remember you!)  "Ngal oeti tamìng kofir 'awve may'." (You gave me my first taste of coffee!)
   "Krrpe?" (when)
   "Srane! Ngar zam'u Normhu fa Tsopxer!" (Yes! You came with Norm by means of Chopper!)
  "Naer amoeyk oer spä kilvanmì! (The drink caused me to jump in the river.)
Scott's face lit up as the scene replayed in his mind. "OH! I remember!  But you were just a kid then! Nga lamu 'ewan ni'aw!" (You were young only.) That was only eight years ago!" said Scott in amazement to realize how much he had missed while working at Hell's Gate. 'Blue Heart Gate', he reminded himself.  Kofi was introducing his young family, and also told Scott that he was Eyktanay, a minor leader of his small band within Clan Samoana.  Scott's head was reeling with all the new names and information and old memories that were pouring down on him.  Sharon, noticing his bewilderment, poked him lightly in the ribs,
  "Quiz in one hour!" she teased.
   "You fella must be some kinda hungry. Za'u!  Yom ko!"  (Come, Let's eat.) Taifa' took Sìkat by the elbow and guided him toward the ylltxep, where tsyey (a light meal) was being prepared.  There was laughter and storytelling and even a few gifts presented.  But mostly there was talk of Kläm shells and undersea exploration. 
   Baby Aulani started fussing.  Pxepxi sighed and tore away her attention from the conversation.  But in tsaheylu while suckling the infant, everything was momentarily blissful.  She wondered how she could become part of the excitement.

Ateyo Te Syaksyuk

504)~   Ateyo was showing Sharon the nodules of a substance produced from her Kxläm shells.
   "Nari si, Ma S'rron!  Fì'u lu sleyku krra txep lu txasom!  Oel ereyk kxumpayit fa reypay ultralä. Srake, fì'u teri lu fngap a ngal pamreng ayoet!"  (Look, Sharon!  This thing is become when fire is very hot. I was making goo from tree-blood. Yes/No, This thing is metal which you were telling us about!)
   Sharon examined the slag which Ateyo displayed in her outstretched hand.  She grinned to herself.  Ateyo must have used the clam shell as a melting pot for making pitch from sap, which would be tree-blood! She would have had to build a very hot fire to achieve that effect.  Pitch glue was used for fastening stone tools to hafts. It was Na'vi super glue!
   "Rolun! Ma'Teyo!" (You found it, Ateyo!) "Srane! Pum lu a hìno tsat oel poltxe teri!" (Yes, that is precisely the thing I was talking about!) Srake, ngal oeti tivìng fì'u fpi fmeretok?" Yes/No, will you give me this thing for the sake of testing?)
   "Srane!" (yes!) Ateyo handed over her handful of unprecious metal.  "Kxawm, ngal oeti wìntxu ngop hì'ia sä'otsyìp fpi tseo?" (Perhaps you can show me how to create small tool for the sake of art?) Sharon pondered for a while, stalling for time to decipher the meaning of her words. 
  "Needle?" Of course, the tsulfätu, master craftsman, would want metal needles and awls!  "Nìlun, Ma'Teyo.  Moe kerar sliveyku pxeya ayu'o ftu fgnap. Slä lesngä'i oe new fmetok."  (Yes, Ateyo. We two can produce many things from metal.  But first I need to test.)
  "Kosman, Ma S'rron.  Kosman!" (Wonderful, Sharon. Wonderful!)
   "Srake? Oe srung sivi nìteng?" (Yes/No, I can help as well?)  Drawn by curiosity, Pxepxi had joined the conversation.
   "Nìlun!  Pfìl oe tsnì fìhem ayoe kem sivi." (Of course! I think that we can do this thing.)  Sharon recognized in Pxepxi, the inborn curiosity of any scientist and explorer.  She wasn't sure how to accommodate the infant, she would let Ateyo and Pxepxi figure that out.  Meanwhile, she figured she could engage the young woman in conversation about the testing parameters.  She could see how agile this One's brain could plan.  She began explaining that she wanted to create a hotter fire and said more words which no one else seemed to follow.
   Pxepxi could not restrain her curiosity.  "Fyape  fkol txepit asom nì'ul sleyku? How One fire more hot make?"  The word order of a Na'vi sentence is usually a lot different than that of English grammar.  It required Sharon an uncomfortable time lapse before she could decipher. (How does One produce hotter fire?) 
   "AH!  Add more oxygen!"
   "Okxi-tsen?"
   "Ayhumon okxi-tsen syeha si!" Ateyo blurted out.  She remembered that humans breathe Oxygen.  "Oel tsun run ayrìkä okxi-tsen!"  She also remembered that the ayhumons could breathe better when these Oxygen-producing leaves were in abundance.
However, fire burned in a Pandoran atmosphere, even though oxygen was not in abundance.  Perhaps accelerating the Pandoran air would suffice, but no, that would accelerate all gases.  She would also need to pressurize the oxygen.  How to explain that?
  Sharon looked around and caught John's eye.  Indeed, a small group had gathered around earshot.  "Ma Tson! John! Srake, ngal tsun run fì'ut  fpi furnace?"  (John can you find something for the sake of a furnace?)
  "You bet, srane!  Dale probably still has an OxCan (oxygen canister) in his Samson."  His brain was already working a mile a minute.  He turned on his heel  and started towards Dale Garbacki's Samson.
   "You might want to ask his permission before you tear up his ship!" shouted Sharon in a good-natured fashion.  John waved his acknowledgement.  He was already approaching Dale.
  Meanwhile, Sharon asked Kofi to bring them a fresh clam from the ocean. 
   "Oer lu aysum pxeya sim tseng'em." (I have many shells near cook-place.)  She got the nod of approval and showed Kofi where to get them.  He returned hefting the huge clam shell in both of his arms.
   It took the other team less than an hour to fabricate a small furnace and returned with a contraption which was easily carried by one fellow, John.   Dale, himself, carried a small Auxillary Oxygen Tank, which was no longer necessary for their new Na'vi aytokx! (bodies)
   John presented the device with a flourish.  "We played Hell getting the regulator hose to fit the burner nozzle, but we figured it out."
   Dale Garbacki  warned, "The heat deflector from the engine, however, must be returned when you are done."

Ateyo Te Syaksyuk

505)~"Za'u Tutuhu, Ma Aulanitsyìp!"  (Come with Granny, Little Aulani!) Seeing that Pxepxi was distracted by the Kläm experiment, Ka'alani took advantage to claim the infant. 
   "Oe zamivunge prrnen ne txampaytsyìp." she announced to Kofi and Pxepxi. (I am taking the baby to the Little Ocean)  Someone might know the word for lagoon, but not she. 
  Pxepxi handed over the infant, almost TOO gratefully.
  "Tìkemìri, oe irayo seiyi, Sanu!" (About this action, I thank you, Mom.")   
   Little Aulani burbled and gurgled with joy at receiving undivided attention.  Kofi gave his Baby kisses  before his Mother sauntered off with Prrnen Aulani.  He and Pxepxi grinned at each other.  They didn't know how often they could expect this kind of favor, but they were grateful for this opportunity.  They turned their attention back to the make-shift furnace and saw Ateyo.  Pxepxi followed her gaze as Ateyo wistfully watched Ka'alani retreating to the shoreline.  Ateyo looked abashed.  As a Grandmother, she had failed in this moment.  In truth, she was too caught up with curiosity about the Kläm experiment.  She was both embarrassed and relieved to know that Ka'alani was willing to take that role.  She grinned at Pxepxi and wondered if she felt the same way.  She reached her arms up to Kofi and Pxepxi and turned her attention to the group.
  "Awsìteng sients si ko!" (Together let's do science!)  Ateyo had a habit of inventing words and phrases.
   "Hell Yeah!" answered Pxepxi, relieved that her Mom shared her enthusiasm for things unknown.
   Sharon turned to face the small group of people that were interested in what was going to happen, and after getting Ateyo's promise to translate, began a short explanation. "What we are going to do, is make a much hotter fire for the purpose of learning how much metal is in these shells. We are interested in learning how much the Kläms here on Eywa 'eveng are like some of the Kläms that lived by undersea vents on 'Rrta were." Sharon looked at Pxepxi and Kofi, to judge their interest in the subject, saw that they were paying attention, and continued. "How we do that, is we add more of the air that we breath here to the fire, by using a fan, to blow more air on the coals of the fire. THAT will make the fire a little hotter, but if it is still not hot enough, we will change what the air is made of, by adding some Oxygen to the air, which will make the fire MUCH hotter".
   Sharon noted that both Pxepxi, and her muntxatan had quizzical looks on their faces, so she asked, "do you have any questions?"
   There was no reply, except that Pxepxi and Kofi's heads both swiveled to Ateyo. Sharon listened but did not recognize a few words.  After much conversation, Ateyo turned to her and responded;
   "Kofiru plltxe San, "Why you no blow on fire more hard? Working alla time for us." Sìk.
   Sharon smiled and said, "That would make it a little hotter. But we need it to be more hotter. It helps a little to blow on it, but blowing harder won't make it hotter.  Ateyo blew on her fire to get these little pieces.  We think with hotter fire, we can get more metal."
   Ateyo surprised her by asking, "Yes/No, You can put many rikur okxtisen on fire, for burn more hot? (oxygen leaves)
   Sharon looked at Tai and both chuckled.
   "Tse! Why you laugh?" Ateyo demanded.
   Sharon was flabbergasted, "Tewti nang!" (Wow)
   Tai responded to Ateyo reassuringly, "Tsat lu säfpìl atxan! Ayoe kesrefey tsnì ngaru livu tìtslam! Txantsan!"  (That is a good idea. We didn't expect that, to you was understanding.  Wonderful!)
   Ateyo wasn't sure that she was complimented or insulted. But Sharon stepped in and clarified.
  "Yerem ayrìk mìtxep lu sìlronsem säfpìl, slä, ayoel zene sleyku yxepit pxelo som nì'ul'ul, fte sleyku fngap."  (Putting leaves on the fire is a clever idea, but we need to make the fire three times hotter to produce metal.)
  Ateyo asserted with confidence, "Tsat lu f'yao alu Tsatutel fngapit nìtengfa, tafral ayforu lu aykläm 'Rrteyä fonìteng!" (That is the way the SkyPeople produced metal, because to them were clams like these.)
    Sharon replied, "Stum! Slä ayngaru sar ayskxe." (Almost, but we used rocks)
Sharon threw an uncertain glance at Tai.  Ateyo had referred to them as SkyPeople, a term rarely used nowadays.  Sharon couldn't help but remember the hideously dirty process of smelting and producing steel, and wondered what the end result of this little experiment would be.
  Sharon looked at Tai and stated almost apologetically, "I don't want to create a steel mill, I just want to burn enough to learn about the bacteria in the clamshells."
   Tai's eyebrows shot up in surprise.  She was thinking of the polluted steel mill skies of Earth, as well.  Ateyo was tugging on the edge of Tai's tewng  (loincloth) to get her attention.
  "Pelì'u pimlltxe' po?" (What word did she just say?)
  "Ayoe keslam txo nerekx aysum sliveyku , fekxener, fe'ya.  Ayoe rä'ä leTsatute slu."  (We don't know if burning shells will produce, bad smoke, bad air. We don't  want to become like Sky People.)
   Ateyo contemplated these words.  She could recall seeing and smelling the acrid smoke spewing from the refineries at Blue Heart Gate.
   "Hels Kate," murmured Ateyo quite solemnly.
   "I will burn just one, maybe two," promised Sharon.  "I will not produce much smoke. Not like Hell's Gate."
      Ateyo frowned and stammered, "Srake, txo nga nekx 'awa fu mune, aynga slu leTsatute?"  (Yes/No, if you burn one or two, you will become like SkyPeople?"
   Sharon replied emphatically.  "Kehe.  Ayoeng rä'ä new kawngsar fìtseng. Fayluta livu kxawng nì'aw." (No. We don't want to exploit this place.  That would be bad only.)
   Ateyo was curious to see if she could make needles from metal, so she was reluctant to say no.  Would she become a Tsatute if she said SRANE to this experiment?
  Sharon offered more information.  "Txo fìkxener lu txum, ayoe tsun sar nekxtseng asìltsan ro BluHartKeyt. Tsa'u sliveyku knener alaro." (If this smoke is poison, we can use the burnplace good at Blue Heart Gate.  It will make the smoke clean.)
   Ateyo pondered and consulted the other aysahik who were watching.  "Ma S'rron, "Mìfì'u ayoeng mlltxe nìwotx, nga lu tute amal.  Nga tsun neyk 'awa fu mune aysum nì'aw.  Ayoel ngati mong ngaru tìpe'un eyawr sleyku. (On this thing we agree,  you are trustworthy.  You can burn one or two shells only.  We trust you to make the right decision."
    Sharon felt exhausted.  "Ma Ateyo. Please tell the aysahik that I am grateful.  We can build the burn-place today, away from the ylltxep, and burn the shells tomorrow.
   Ateyo nodded and turned to the aysahik. "S'rron plltxe SAN, 'Fì'uìri oe irayo seiyi, Ma Anawma Aysahik. Slä oeru lu ngeyn mìtokx sì ronsem. Ayoe tìkangkem fìtrr ulte nekx aysum trrray."
The aysahik approved and Ateyo turned to all and stood with her arms outstretched. 
   "Fì'u lu pole'un!"  (It is decided.) With that she clapped her hands together in a gesture of finality.

Ateyo Te Syaksyuk

506) Ateyo realized that her own experiments with clamshells had provoked curiosity from many people in the clan. She watched Pxepxi (with Prrnen Aulani) following S'rron asking questions as they built the More-Hot Burning Place for clamshells.  Ateyo, originally, had thought that she could use a shell to make a good crucible for melting tree sap.  But something happened to the shells when they became too hot.  She wasn't sure that this was bad, and she was excited about the possibility of creating needles and awls from something harder than bone or wood.  She wondered what other tools could be made from such a hard material as clam shells.  Truly, she could not imagine how a needle could be made, though she prized the steel wonders which Tai had acquired for her.  How did they make those tiny holes?
   While others were building the More-Hot Burning Place, she busied herself in the seashell refuse pile.  She chose  broken shards that she could hold in one hand.  Could this one be used as an axe?  Could she sharpen the broken edge on that one and make a scraper?  She knew that Tayl Kxarpaki and his Olo'Sanhia Sute (Dale Garbaki and his Clan'StarPeople) would need more tools when they started building their own yaney(canoe).  She sat apart from the bustle, but near enough to watch the progress.  The rock she perched upon had a fine texture for honing an edge on any tool.  This might become her favorite work place!  The shell was doing well with grinding.  (Good thing, because her earlier attempts at chipping and flaking were very disappointing.)  The hinged place where the two shells were once joined, had a nice hollow in which her thumb fit.  This could definitely become a scraper.
   She had slid off the boulder and faced it, as she continued grinding. 
This piece might make a FINE scraper, she thought, as she carefully honed the edge.   Even if it wasn't a sharp edge this tool could be used to soften hides.  A moderately sharp edge could be used to chop out the burned wood from the inside of a yaney.(canoe) She wanted to share this new discovery with others.  But when she stopped scraping, she realized that she was now covered from head to toe with the pale dust and particles of shells. As she approached the More-Hot-Burning Place crowd, she hurriedly tried to wipe the shell dust from her blue skin. 
   When she got closer to Sharon, she suddenly forgot all about her successful tool making project.  In fact, she was quite concerned because she saw something protruding from Sharon's eye.  However, she did not seem to be in pain, although one side of her face was pinched together.  She joined Pxepxi and Kofi in a tight semi-circle around the Si-en-tist.  Sharon was speaking in Inglìsì, and in Na'vi, and saying words that were hard to understand.  But Sharon was speaking with an intensity which reminded her of Doktor Kraes when she would get excited about something she was teaching. 
  She became wistful, remembering Grace Augustine and the school, but Kofi was asking Sharon about that thing in her eye, and Ateyo crept closer to hear the explanation.
   "The three of you all know about the look-far things that we have, that let us look at things that are are very far away, and they are made to look close, so that we can learn about them," she said, noticing that all three nodded their heads YES.
"Well, this thing," S'rron continued, while she displayed the Jeweler's loupe, "takes things that are close, and makes them look much larger, so that we can learn about them too."
Kofi tentatively remarked, "Mik-ro-skop?"
   Ateyo was surprised to learn that Kofi knew what a Mik-Ro-Skop was.  She remembered Dr. Grace showing all the eveng her microscope.
  "Mì Nari Mik-Ro-Skop!" (microscope-in-the eye) She thought to herself.  She didn't say it aloud because Sharon was praising Kofi.
  "Eyawr!" Smiled S'rron. "That's right, you are studying to be a Botanist, and you have used Microscopes, while your yawnetu (Beloved) used the look-far's to study the sanhì." (stars)
  Sharon then presented the shell and the Navi-sized loupe to Kofi.  It was amusing to watch his reaction when he looked through the strange eyepiece.
  "Tewti! Oe tsun nari sivi fayfngapvi nìwotx!"  (WOW! I can see all the metal flakes!"

Ateyo watched Kofi study the fragments of the shell, and asked, "Ma S'rron, how fngapvi getting in shell?"  (How do the metal flakes get in the shell?)
   "Nìlam aykläm sleyku lefngapvil fa ayuti a yom." (Apparently, the clams produce metal flakes from the things which they eat.) 
  Pxepxi handed her mother the loupe.  Ateyo forgot about the question she had asked.  She was thoroughly enthralled with what she was seeing. 
   "Tewti nang! (WOW!!) Nìwotx - all thing looking more big!  Fìklämur lu sanhi!" (This clam has star-freckles) But she did not relinquish the loupe.  Not yet.  She was now curious about the dust on her skin.
    "Nari si! Do eye! I having stars more on skin mine!"
   Sharon laughed.  "Yes, srane! You are covered in clam dust.  Sanhì nì'ul mì txaleng ngeya!"  (More star-freckles on your skin!)
   Reluctantly, Ateyo returned the In-Eye-Mikroskop.
   Sharon continued her lecture, oblivious to the fact, in her enthusiasm, that she was failing to translate it all.
   "I think that the little flecks of metal that you see deposited inside the Calcium of the shell is placed there by the klam as a reserve, in case the iron level in the creature's blood, gets too low,"  S'rron instructed. She went on to explain, "We had creatures that did the same thing near hydrothermal vents, in the Oceans on Earth. They may be the only things that are left alive on Earth, as long as the Oceans don't boil away. Some of the creatures that can do these things we called extremophiles."
   John and Sìkat walked up on the conversation, and John said, "Are we missing class?"
   Sharon and John and Sìkat were now taking turns talking.  Ateyo was trying to pay attention, but there were just too many words that she didn't know.  She noticed Pxepxi's attention beginning to wane.  Kofi, though, was very attentive.  Ateyo could tell by the mention of 'Rrta that S'rron was referencing the clams in Earth's oceans.  It only served to remind her of her supposition that ayHumon created metal from shells.
   Finally, Sharon stopped talking and the humon named Tson (John) grinned and slapped his hands together in a gesture of finality.
"Letsunslu livu tìfmetok. Srake, ayngaru pxaya aysìpawm?"  (It is possible that there might be a test.  Any questions?)
   Ateyo raised her hand as if in Grace's learn-place.  She looked Sharon in the eye and asked the question that was burning inside her;
  "Srake, About needle you show to me how for making!?"

Ateyo Te Syaksyuk

507)~ Sharon grinned at the excitement being generated by the loupe. It's introduction filled them waiting time for the experiment.  Sharon was grateful that she had already observed the textures of the kxlämä sum (clam's shell) before she had released it to Ateyo and company.  Once the initial shock of close-up viewing had worn off, each Na'vi was eager to view something in detail; hair, bone, a grain of sand, a patch of skin.  It was with great reluctance that Ateyo finally returned it to Sharon.
  "Ayoengaru lu irayo seiyi skxom nari si nìno ayu." (We thank very much for opportunity to observe in detail!)
  Sharon was pleased that Ateyo had returned the loupe.  She had to admit to herself that she actually worried that it would be returned at all.  She wondered how difficult it would be to create a new one.  She changed the subject in her mind and turned to Ateyo.
   "Ye'rìn ayoengal fayut, aykemical,  pefnel nari si tsivun faya sum lu ngopfa." (Soon we can see of which type of things, chemicals,  these shells are created.)  Ateyo look confused. Sharon tried again. 
   "Ayoe tsun nume pefya Eywal ngop foti." (We can learn how Eywa created them.)
    Ateyo's eyes focused inwards as she tried to decipher the meaning.  Who could claim to know HOW Eywa created anything.  She just DID.  Kem-ì-kal. Kem means DO, but that is a Na'vi word.  How? The shell was created of shell.  How could it be anything else? And yet, she remembered the shiny objects produced when her fire got too hot beneath the shell.  As if to answer her unspoken question, Sharon continued;
   "Txo lu fngap nemfa sum, kxawm sleyku aynitìls." Sharon paused.  Aysä'otsìp apxi." (If there is metal within the shell, perhaps we can produce needles.) She had invented the word for needles but evidently, the meaning was lost on Ateyo. So she explained, Little tool sharp.  Finally, Ateyo grinned with recognition.
  "Aynitìl!" She exclaimed.  She finally remembered the word which S'rron had taught her. She wondered why Sharon had added an S to the end of the word, but decided not to be bothered by details.
   She wanted very much to speak of creating needles, but now S'rron was talking with Kofi and the other Si-'en-tìts.

Kofi asked the scientists,
   "These creatures on 'Rrta could live in hot or cold, and could eat things not plant, or Animal?"
  John answered, "Tsat lu eyawr. That is true, they could use chemicals to live, and not have to eat plants, or animals. They didn't even have to be in water, they could live in the dirt."
  Kemikals.  That word again. But something didn't sound right.
  "Kllte? Kläm ketsun rey mìhllte!" (Ground? Clams can't live in the ground!)
  "Mllte oe, Ma'Teyo.  Slä ayoe lahea swiräìri pllte." (I agree Ateyo. But we are talking about other creatures.) said Sharon.
  The Mipa Na'vi called Sìkat got excited and started explaining something mìInglìsì.
  Ateyo listened politely while he talked about Earth Clams and hot dirt and other words she couldn't comprehend.  Her head was swirling with so much information that she simply sat down, plop, upon a stone. 
   "Give her a break, Sìkat," laughed John.  "Ateyo is experiencing information overload!"
   Sharon came and sat next to Ateyo and reassured her, "Eywal tsun ngop pxeya ayswirä mì fya'o pxeya si akosman."  (Eywal can create many creatures in many ways and wonderful.)
Ateyo blinked and craned her head upwards to the si-'en-tits who were gathered.
      "Srane." Replied Ateyo.  "Slä sleyku ayoel aynitìls?" (Yes, But can we produce needles?)
  Ateyo was surprised when Sharon slapped her on the shoulder and said, "Ma Ateyo. You truly have a one-track mind!"
   Ateyo did not know whether that was a compliment or not, but Sharon seemed amused, so she only grinned.
   "I don't know how long it will take before we learn to make needles from shell, but we will make you more needles at Blue Heart Gate."
   "Or at the Hidden Base," remarked Tai as she walked up and joined the discussion.
  "That's where we currently make them.  We have a nifty little laser tool all jigged up.  I just think Ateyo wants to be more independent from our equipment."    
  "Nga lu eyawr, Ma Hona Tsamsiyu!" (You are right, my Beautiful Warrior) said Ateyo as Tai sat on a log.  Ateyo quickly took her place in front of Tai, using her legs as a backrest.  "Srane, new oer nume ngivop aynitìls fa sumä fngap." (Yes I want to learn to create needles by means of shell metal.) she stated emphatically.
She flicked her tail restlessly, but Tai caught it and smoothed it soothingly against her thigh.
  "Srane, slä nga maweypey lu."  (Yes, but you must be patient) warned Tai.  She looked up and caught Sharon's eye, whose gratitude was was evident. 
  "She has been anxious to learn, but we still need to determine the properties of the shell," explained Sharon, almost apologetically.  "Kxawm, Ateyoru liyu sä'o amip!" (Perhaps  to Ateyo is a new tool.) Sharon gestured to the object which Ateyo was still holding.  She needed to divert this One's attention.  Ateyo realized what was happening, but ran with the flow.  She was able to engage Sharon's attention for a long while.  And she was able to answer all her questions about how she was able to sharpen the edge.  Soon she was encircled by Na'vi and Mipa Na'vi, all curious about her new scraper tool.
   Her sister Twiti was examining and hefting its weight in her hand.
"Ma Tsmuke. Srake, ngal fmetok fìsä'ot? Oer lu payoang asawl a oel kin ta'leng si."  (Sister. You need to test this tool? To me is a big fish which I need to skin-do.)
  "Ta'leng si?" Wondered Ateyo.  But Twiti had already turned heel and was walking toward the large fish skin which she had pegged to the ground.  She bent down and started scraping the inside of the skin with the tool. 
   Sharon watched the two for a short while.  Slapping her hands together she stated to her crew, "Perhaps Tweety can keep Ateyo occupied while we figure out the exact properties of this shell-metal. Back to work!" 

Ateyo Te Syaksyuk

508) Ateyo and Tweety had drawn a crowd, and there was also a small crowd around the More Hot Fire Place, though that crowd was smaller because Taifa'ane'a had been requested to help with building a yaney amip (new canoe) for Sanhìa Sute.
   Therefore, Kofi went along with his father and Tael Karbakhi and the crew of  S'rallta Tamas' Starship,  Zach and Owen Wicks, and their friend Joey (Tsoe)  Those younger Ones were still a tight group since the time when they were mapping underwater volcanoes from the StarShip.  Pxepxi sighed as she watched Kofi trot off with their friends. 
  Most of the women and aysahìk were seated around the ylltxep.  Tatyana, as Medical Officer and Self-Appointed Midwife, was seated on one side of Ka'alani.  So Pxepxi sat on Ka'alani's other side and stretched out her arms toward her baby daughter.  With a squeal, Baby Aulani launched herself into her mother's arms.  It didn't seem to surprise any of the Na'viä sute, but Ka'alani remarked;
   "I've never seen a baby of that age raise her head, let alone turn and move in such a manner!"  A lively conversation ensued once she had translated her words into Na'vi.  It was soon established that Na'vi babies matured at a much faster rate than their Humon counterparts.  This fact had already been exploited by RDA researchers, but no one in this group knew how much of rapid rate of Dreamwalker maturation was due to genetics, and how much was due to controlled experimentation with growth hormones.
   When Ka'alani stopped talking mid-sentence, all the women instantly realized what was happening.  All at once, women were talking.
  "The baby is turning! Prrnen lu merìn!"
  "Are you having contractions?"
     This was answered by Ka'alani giving a yelp of pain.  She looked at Pxepxi almost accusingly.
   "Ngaru kelu tìsraw!"  (To you was no pain!)
   "Kelu kxeyey oeyä!" (It's not my fault!) laughed her daughter-in-law, somewhat impolitely.  "Tìsraw ke txankrr." (The pain won't last very long.)
   Tatyana was more sympathetic. "Mawey livu Ma Tsmuke.  MìPandora tìnokx lu ftue atxan. Be calm my Sister. On Pandora birth is more easy."  She continued on in English, though with her Russian accent.  "Your body is stronger, gravity is less, and Na'vi women tell to me they do not experience long labor."
   "Aìììììììììììììììììììì!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Ka'alani let out such a shout that EVERYONE in the camp suspected it was time.
   "I think my water broke!" gasped Ka'alani.
  Aysahìk rose enmasse and took her firmly by the elbows. Raising her to her feet, they guided her down the path to the lagoon. 
   The bath-warm water cleansed her thighs as she waded deeper.  Her tolfìn swam out to meet her.  Soon the aysahìk and aytolfìn were encircling Ka'alani.  Tatyana and their two Pandoran Dolphins were supporting Ka'alani, because her contractions were persistent and frequent, and caused her to bend into the water.
  "Aìììììììììììììììììììì!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" came another cry.  Those who had not been involved until then, came running and arrived just in time to see Ka'alani lift her baby boy towards Eywa with a triumphant though tired shout of joy.
   "A BOY! 'EVAN! Ayngaru 'EVENGAN!" (To us is a BOY!) shouted Taifa'ana' e.  The soot from the burned tree covered his body.  Kofi followed close behind.
"Yur säpi! Yur säpi!" (Wash yourself!  Wash yourself!) called many voices. Taifa' and Kofi splashed water hurriedly upon their bodies.  Someone produced large seaweed leaves to serve as wash-cloths.  The effort was only somewhat effective.  They each flanked Ka'alani and her baby, black streaks of sweaty soot persisted.
   "Prrnen ke tse'a ngar tafral tìlam ngar!" (The baby won't see you for the reason of your appearance.) scolded Ka'alani.  But Taifa' had already gathered him in his arms.
  "Stum ke, hufwa po livu Kameie oer!" (Almost not, although he will SEE me.)  Taifa' didn't know if it was customary, but he offered his tswin to the infant.  He was rewarded with the wide-eyed regard of his baby boy.
   "He is beautiful! Po lu alor!" He reluctantly returned his infant to Ka'alani's eager arms.
"Vomuna ayzekwa sì vomuna ayvenzek."  He observed soberly.  Ten fingers,  ten toes.  For some unexplained reason he was disappointed that his child would have the characteristic mark of a Mipa Na'vi, and not the customary eight fingers and toes of full-blooded Na'vi.  But he took comfort in something else he noticed;
   "Ven angim! Poer lu ven angim."  (Long feet! He's got long feet!)  His mysterious exclamation was understood only by a few Mipa Na'vi who remembered the old and persistent Earth myth that Long Feet also indicated the length of the male member. 
   "Rä'ä sngum sivi venìri, Ma Taifa'," reassured Ateyo. Do not worry about feet. To you is a fine boy and healthy!"
   Taifa' did not really hear Ateyo, he was carefully embracing his new family.

Ateyo Te Syaksyuk

509)~ It was an impromptu ceremony, but extremely meaningful for the development of Ka'alani's child.  Each family member held the baby and made eye contact while experiencing tsaheylu.  Initially, only Ka'alani and Taifa'ana'e participated,  but Kofi and Pxepxi joined them, as well as Ateyo and Tai Tai Ao.  It was amazing to all present to see how the two babies responded to each other.  Because as Pxepxi leaned forward to join her tswin with the baby boy, two little neural braids groped toward each other between the two women. 
   All the aysahik exchanged knowing glances: These Two will be paired just as surely as Pxepxi and Kofi, or Jake Sully and Neytiri!  Each tsahik, in turn, engaged in tsaheylu with the infant, absorbing and exchanging the knowledge of One's Presence.  Tsaheylu, the Bond.  As with Prrnen Aulani, it was important to establish a close relationship with those in the family group and with the collective consciousness of the entire Na'vi people.
   After all the blessings and well-wishes were conferred upon the child, the aytolfìn began to leap and cavort in the lagoon.  Laughing and cheering ensued, which startled the Prrnen alu'Eveng (Baby, which is, Boy)  It was interesting to note that Little Aulani's arms flailed in the air in the direction the New Baby, and she made many vocalizations in her not too tiny voice.
   Kofi was quick to note, "Tse, tsamune meprrnen mowan fìtsapur li!"  (Heh! Those two babies have desire for each other already!)
   *WHACK*  Pxepxi had delivered a blow to Kofi's skullbone with a respounding smack. 
"Fpak ngar tsasäfpìl!" (Hold off on that thought!) scolded Pxepxi.  "Mefo lu prrnen nì'aw! (Those Two are babies only!)
   "Tsa nari si!  Fo fìtsap yawne!" (But look!  They love each other!) He complained while rubbing his head.  It seemed to be completely true.  The Two Babies were fixated upon each other, and Little Aulani was kicking her legs excitedly.  This caused Pxepxi to lose her implement of discipline.  It dropped into the water which they were all wading through.  Kofi snatched it away and brandished it triumphantly. 
  "Fì'ur lu ngeyä! Fì'ur lu ngeyä! Fpìl oe tsn'ì oel fì'ut nivekx. (It's mine!  It's mine!  I think I will burn it!)  His triumph was short-lived though.  Tsahik Alyara Arati plucked it from his hands, handed it off to Tsahik Syulang Aean, who handed it to Tsahik Alekxsi, who in turn, handed it to Tsahik Ateyo, who of course, handed it to Pxepxi.  Who received it with smug delight.  Kofi stood in the shallow water with a look of utter amazement on his face.  He was bested, and out-numbered! He thought briefly of snatching it away, many times over, in fact.  But that would have been an outrageously rude gesture to all the aysahik there.  He did the next best thing; he threw back his head and laughed.
   "Nga lu eyawr, Ma Yawnetu.  Mefo lu prrnen nì'aw!" (You are right, My Love.  Those Two are babies only!)  Aulani was delighted with the entire episode and was laughing and kicking even harder.  But the Wooden Spoon was safely ensconced in Pxepxi's sash at her hip. 
   Ka'alani held her Baby Boy close to her heart.  It still seemed unusual to her, hearing  Baby Aulani laughing at only two months old.  Would her son develop as quickly as a Na'vi baby or would her Humon genes slow him down?  She didn't have a chance to dwell on that because Taifa' was leaning over her shoulder and exclaiming, 
   "Ngari tswintsyìp sevin nìtxan lu nang!" (What a pretty little neural braid you have!)
He snuck a kiss from his wife and waded through the shallows at her elbow.

The crowd parted and escorted them up the path from the shore to ylltxep where Eyrina had laid out a tsyey-snack, light meal, for the hungry mother.  She had already begun to prepare the txonä wutzo when Ka'alani let out her first cry.  That large fish that Twiti had caught was steaming in the umu, the Samoan-style pit oven, as were various fkxen and mauti (veggies and fruit)  Ayomyo lerìk(leaf platters) were passed around and people served themselves.  Except that people served Ka'alani any morsel she named, and many that she did not!
   As the meal was coming to completion, Tai Tae Ao had some of the younger fellows bring out the Kava from deep within the Slär Mektseng, the Gap Cave, as it come to be known.  Tsahik Alekxsi began singing the formal Kava Drinking Song, which was solemn and devotional, thanking Eywa for the drink which caused happiness.  All the tsahik joined in.  Once all the ayeyktan and aysahik were served their ceremonial cup, Ka'alani was offered a ceremonial sip.
     "Ftxozä seiyi Ko!" (Let's celebrate!) shouted Tai Tae Ao.
   And once the formalities had been dealt with, the Kava was served in a less formal manner to all others.  The singing which accompanied this was less than formal, but joyful.  During this time, people approached Ka'alani and Taifa'ana'e with various gifts which they had been creating for the occasion.  The most impressive of these was the syawnivi (family hammock) which Ateyo, Twiti,  Pxepxi had created.
   As the three spread out the large woven hammock between them, Ateyo explained;
   "Ma Ka'alani ahona, We Three made this big hammock knowing that soon it will be filled with many happy babies."
  While the ftxozä continues, Eyktan Tai suggested to her Cuz that they set up the new syawnivi.  A spontaneous party was formed and a suitable location established. This was between the back entrance to the cave and stream on a grassy hillock.  The hammock was stretched between a few trees and only knee-high from the ground for Ka'alani's ease.  Baby Aulani watched with fascination from Pxepxi's shoulder.  Each time she caught a glimpse of the New Baby, she burst out in a fit of delighted giggling.  From this safe distance over-looking the beach, the family could relax without the raucous imposition from the celebration.  Later in the evening, the members of S'rronä Olo'AoTxampay (Sharon's Clan Beneath the Ocean) also retreated to the same grassy hill.  As the celebration raged below, the twinkling stars of the sky appeared, as did the twinkling bioluminesce of the nearby forest and lagoon.

Ateyo Te Syaksyuk

510)  The cry of infants greeted the morning, before the sun even made its appearance.  On any other morning, the hunters and some of the gathers would have already dispersed on their quests. But this morning was the exception.  Most of the members of the three clans were strewn on the beach in careless abandon, sleeping where they had fallen the previous night during the ftxozä. (celebration)
  Some were smart enough to fall far from the waterline.  Some got a rude awakening when the morning tide rose.  Complaining, some of the friends grabbed the others by ankles and dragged them a safer distance away.  A few were not even awakened by those actions.
  "Kxawm, ayoel awngat txivìng fìtsenge yemfpay!" (Perhaps we should abandon them to immersion!) suggested Träsi, somewhat annoyed.
   "Kehe, Ma Yawnetu ahona,"  (No, my beautiful Beloved) replied Eyktan Tael Karbaki.  "Ayfo zene srung sivi awngati yaneyur txula!" (They need to help us build the canoe.)
   "Tìtxen sangi, ayaymakyu! Pamang aynga txonam rä'ä rou." (Get up you Fools! I told you last night not to get drunk!) 
   "Aììììì. Oeri re'o asraw!" (My head hurts.) Came the responses from the reluctant, hungover, crew members.
   The task of the morning was to get his Clan of the Star People rousted from slumber and functional.  It would not be an easy task. 
   Above them, on top of the Slotted Cave, the aysahik were gathering.  Twiti sounded the conch shell horn, which was no louder than the pounding surf beyond the lagoon, but higher pitched and insistent.  Eventually, all the partiers were on their feet to greet the rising sun.  It was almost amusing to watch them stagger about and topple over as they tried to raise their arms above their heads. 
   "Ma Yawnea Muntxatan, srake, ayfo mal ne sar aysä'o apxi ulte txep?" (My Beloved Husband, yes/no, these people are trustworthy to use sharp tools and fire?)
   "Iìììììììì, kxawm nga lu eyawr, Ma Yawnetu.  Slä oel zene pivawm pum." (Uuummm, perhaps you are right, My Beloved.  But I must ask them.)
  People gathered for the rewonä wutzo (morning meal), shading their eyes, holding their heads and moaning.  Sympathetic aysahik provided various teas, purported to be a sure cure for a hangover.  Leftovers from the previous meal were extracted from the carved case kept in the wet sand (which served as refrigeration.)  Morsels were wrapped in leaves and served as a tsyey, a snack.
   But everyone noticed the noisy arrival of the Undersea Renegades,  hauling in their days catch of fayoang. Fish.
    Ateyo was amazed at the huge haul of fish.  "Ma S'rron! Ke txana krr mìso nga. Pefya stä'nì ngal fayoang pxeya atxan?! (Sharon! You weren't gone very long.  How did you catch so many fish?)
Pamlala slapped S'rron playfully on the belly, "Salew! Peng ayngar!"(Go on. Tell them!)
  "I was waiting in the front of the canoe, laying back with my braid in the water. The dolphins told me where to find a huge school.  In fact, they rounded them up for us!" she explained in both languages.
  Those who were upright and coherent nodded in appreciation.  Dale Garbacki mentioned, 
   "Fula safpìl asìltsan, alu pawm aytolfìnit. Oel tsat zerok." (That is a good idea, which is to ask the dolphins.  I will remember that!)
  The morning proceeded with Tael Karbaki's crew opting to sleep off their hangovers. Conversation among those who remained turned to things of scientific inquiry.
  Ateyo started the conversation. "Ma S'rron. Srake. Nga lu tsun wintxu oer fya'o ngop aynitll fa Kxlämä Sum?" (Sharon, Yes/no, you can show me the way to create needles from clam shell?)
Stifled groans were heard from her crew. Sharon thoughtfully folded and refolded her tsyey (snack roll) as she carefully considered her thoughts.  Ateyo read her body language and prepared for the worse.
  "Fì'u lu ngäzik. Tung oer krr atxan fya'o oeyktìng." (This thing is difficult.  Allow me more time to explain.) "Fìtxon, mawkrr txonä wutzo." (Tonight after night meal.)
   Ateyo looked up solemnly and bit her lip nervously before admitting;
"Tam, tam, Ma S'rron. Fivmi oer ne tslam.  Mawkrr txonä wutzo." (There, there, Sharon. I will try to understand. After night meal.)  Sharon could see what a brave face she was putting on in view of this seemingly tragic news.  She tried to turn the conversation to a more positive note. 
   "Oel tslam fula ngat namume ngop sä'o alahe."I understand that you learned to created another tool?"
   "Srane!  Oel ngamop tstal txana pxi.  Ma Twiti samar pum trram ne 'aku ta'leng ftu fayoang apxa." (Yes! I created knife sharp very. Tweety used it yesterday to remove skin from a big fish.)
  "Srane, Ma Tsmuke! Lu txana pxi, ulte tìkangkem seiyi. Win sì ahino." (Yes my Sister.  It is very sharp and it works well. Fast and precise.) "Sunu oer fìtstal ulte oer yawne oeyä tsmuke ahona!" (I like this knife and I love my adorable sister.) After hugging Ateyo, she unsheathed her knife and presented it to Sharon for inspection purposes.
   At this point, Kofi wandered into the conversation, unsteady on his feet and reeking of last night's Kava.
   "Tsatstal lu hino. Tìkangkem tsulfätu aswey." (That knife is fine. The work of the best master craftsman.) "Ulte po lu oeyä Sanu.  Txo oel pxawm poti, po ngivop pum oer." (And she is my Mom.  If I ask her, she will make one for me.)
With false bravado, he snatched the knife from Sharon's hand and tossed it, and caught it in his hand. By the blade.
   There was a moment when time froze.  All conversation stopped. A look of horror was stamped on some faces, though on others, a look of disdain.
   On Kofi's face, a look of shock, which distorted into a shriek of pain.  Immediately, Sharon grabbed him by the wrist, to slow an artery. 
   "Tatyana!  Tatyana!  Medikit ayoel kin.  MEDIC!"  Ateyo grabbed a handful of seaweed to staunch the flow. The saltwater was stinging, and Kofi was trying to put on a brave face, though ultimately, he felt like a fool. 
His friends from the Crew, and his own little olo' were jeering and mocking him.
"Pe'u livu ingyentsyìp ngeyä nìhay?"  (What is your next trick?)   "Nga lu skxawng anawma, Ma Kofi."  (You are a great moron, Kofi.)
  "Oììsss!" hissed Pxepxi. "Po lu eyktanay." (He is a junior leader.)

The jeering and taunting increased, and Kofi groaned inwardly, knowing that Pxepxi had only tried to garner him some respect.
    Suddenly, another figure emerged from the crowd.
   "Oììsss!" hissed Tatyana. The younger fellows immediately became quiet.
   Tatyana, having been a medic on the Starship crew, was well prepared with her emergency kit on hand.  She made Kofi lie down on a matt.  He was looking rather pale, a common reaction when One sees One's own blood.  It wouldn't do to have him faint in front of his crew.  He had already embarrassed himself enough.  As Sharon released her grip, she removed the seaweed compress.  The wound immediately filled with blood.  But she disinfected her own hand and examined his.
   "Fmawn asìltsan lu skxir talengä.   (The good news is: It is only a flesh wound.)  She turned to her own son, Vladimir.
  "Ma Vlad, rutxe, zämunge oer "U' alu Ta'leng Ngop."  (Bring me the thing which is Skin-Create.)
   "Srane, Sanu."  Vlad had seen to it the the Skin Replicator had been charged up via Solar Battery Power ever since the Canoe Making had begun again.  There was no need to take a sample slice of skin for replication, though.  Upon examination of the razor-sharp half-moon scraping tool-knife, a sliver of skin remained. 
  "Kxawm, nga lu ngivop ta'leng atxan oeru.  Fu ngivop tokx alahe nìteng oer." (Perhaps you should create more skin for me.  Or create another body as well, for me.) said Kofi in an attempt at a joke.  "Kay tìsraw siväpi atxan säfe'ul." (In case I hurt myself worse in the future!)
  "Ma Kofi!  Fì'u ke ngop uniltìrantokx ngaru!  Kay ngaru zene nari sivi!" laughed Vlad. (This thing cannot create a dreamwalkerbody for you.  In the future you must watch out, be careful.)
   Kofi laughed out loud at the absurdity of the suggestion.  But he was grateful that this tek-nol-atsi was available for him.  These Star People could make Dream Walkers, so a piece of skin, was not a problem.
   "Emrey poer?!"  (Will he survive?!) joked his young comrades. 
   "Srane!  Slä poer rä'ä sar tsyokx poer."  (Yes. But he must not use his hand), cautioned Tatyana, suspecting mischief from the others.   
   "Srake, oe tsun tìkankxem sivi trray." (Yes/No I can work tomorrow?) asked Kofi.
   "Kehe.  Ulte ayngal ketung poeti sar sä'o apxi!" (No. And you all don't allow him to use sharp tools!) laughed Vlad as he indicated Kofi's clan mates.  Kofi rolled his eyes and nodded agreement and his mates from Shiralta's ISV all jeered and mocked him playfully.

Ateyo Te Syaksyuk

511)  The smoke of burning wood drifted to the area where people were sitting under the shade of a ramada.  The aysahik had their mats rolled out with their pots of healing salve close at hand.  They constructed baskets and small tools while awaiting Casualties.  The children were delighted to have their own fun task; they were filling gourds full of mud and taking it to those burning the dug out canoe.  (The mud was carefully banked-up to control the area which was to be burned.) 
   Pamela was seated next to Pxepxi and Ateyo.  Ateyo was painstakingly whittling a needle from a hardened piece of bone and was muttering about having to wait for the Star People to make her some decent fngapa aynitll.(metal needles) Sharon had convinced her, the night before, that the expenditure of oxygen and other fuel was wasteful.  Ateyo couldn't argue against that.  They could be made more easily at the Blue Heart Gate facilities.   "Fu ro Steng Lewan." (Or at the Hidden Place) suggested Sharon.  The base was located near Olo'Zongsteng Alor, only one day's travel.  So the conversation had moved from needles to an upcoming visit to their neighboring Clan.
   "Tse, oeru sunu lu ro Lewan Steng, nìtxeng," declared Pamela. (Well, to me I like to be at the Hidden Place, as well)
   "Pelun, Ma Pamlala?" (For what reason, my Pamlala) asked Pxepxi.
   "Taluna leru, ro tsatseng, ayoengil tsun txula Kelkuti  AoTxampayru!" (For the reason being, at that place we can build a House for Under the Sea!)
   "Slä, fkol ngati tsun pell, tsatseng lu alìm txampayru." (But anyone can tell you that place is not close to the ocean) explained Ateyo, with exaggerated patience.
  At that point, Sharon pointed out,  "Tse, alunta ayoengru lu Ayikran Lefgnap, fpì  kxelterek!" (Well, for the reason we have Metal Ikrans, for lifting.) 
   "Iìììì, oel zerok krra ayngati zamamunge ro Zongtseng Alor, lefngap kxelku fpì ayuniltìrantokx!"  (I remember the time when you all brought a metal house for the sake of the Dreamwalkers, to Zongtseng Alor.)
   She remembered the noisy Dragon lowering the Mobile Unit into place, and feeling the incredible rotor wash of the shrouded blades.  Even the children had begun making pinwheels with a shroud placed around them.  She felt an elbow to her ribs.  Pxepxi had poked her.  Her face had been upturned at the memory, and now she blushed at having been caught daydreaming.
   "Ma Sanu! 'O', kxelku seiyi äo txampay, ko!" (Oh, Mom! EXCITEMENT! Let's live happily under the sea!)
   Ateyo was still making pinwheels in her head and had lost the transition in the conversation.
   "Kxelku seiyi äo txampay? Kehe! Kxelku sangi, fpil oe. Oeru zene nari seiyi taw!"  (Live happily under the sea? NO! Live unhappily, I think.  To me I need to see the sky!) groused Ateyo.
   "Taluna ayoengur lu uvan fpì sop kllpxä krro krro," said Sharon with a confident grin. (For that reason to us is a boat for the sake of travelling to the ground from time to time.)
   Ateyo was looking a bit distressed so Pamela intervened.
"Ayoel aynitllit tsun ngop krra ayoe sop a Zongtseng Alor." (We can create your needles when we travel to Zongtseng Alor) Ateyo nodded slowly in agreement, suspecting that she was being mollified.  These Star People!  Couldn't they be satisfied for knowing what they know? And Pxepxi!  Well, she couldn't blame Pxepxi's curiosity on the Star People.  She was ALWAYS curious about what was on the other side of the mountain. Or other moons.  Oh Eywa!  At least she isn't talking about going to other moons anymore. 
   Prrnen Aulani squirmed and giggled in Pxepxi's arms, but she was reaching for Grandmama Ateyo! 
  "Nìlun, Ma Prrnen.  Oel vivewng prrnen oeyä frakrr." (Of course, baby. I will take care of baby always.)  She didn't realize at the time how prophetic those words would be.

Ateyo Te Syaksyuk

512) Kofi and Pxepxi, with their baby Aulani and the Tutu 'Teyo were floating in the lagoon after an exhausting month.  The canoe ceremony had followed the Baby naming ceremony, and it seemed that the celebrations had been non-stop for an entire moon cycle. 
   Baby Izzy was a lovely shade of purple-blue, his stripes were wider than most and seemed to give him a reverse patterning.  This pleased Taifa'ane'a because his baby seemed more Polynesian with darker skin.   "He's da kina baby!"  He would exclaim happily.  Anyone who had spent time in Hawaii, or in fact, around Ka'alani, knew that the word was used liberally to define anything that was particularly Hawaiian, or in fact, Na'vi.  And Da Kina was generally used to replace any word - to make matters more confusing to those unaccustomed to Hawaiian concepts.
   Prrnen Izzy and Prrnen Aulani were together in their floating pram which
Ateyo had lovingly constructed, complete with sunshades woven of reeds. She was almost afraid to offer the floating double cradle, thinking that perhaps Kofi would be neglectful and her grandchild would float away.  She scoffed at herself for having such ideas. Though Ka'alani was also close by their side, Kofi was tending to the babies, crooning and cooing, and even singing to them.
   "I can't believe how quickly these babies are growing.  They seem twice as mature as their human counterparts would be at this age." Kofi ignored his mother's remarks, partially because he was not familiar with ANY babies, and mostly because he was busy playing peek-a-boo with the infants, by means of ducking himself under water and popping up.
  He surfaced in time to see everyone's heard turning toward the Slotted Cave.  There on top of the cave was a shell-horn blower, though the sound was not audible until he shook the water from his ears. And everyone seemed to be pointing beyond the horn blower.
  "Za'u! Fo terätaw fa lefngap ikran!" (They are returning by means of metal ikran) shouted Taifa', though everyone already knew that.  Below the dragon was slung the large component of the Underwater Laboratory.  The Samson was carrying a smaller habitat pod.  They watched as the two pieces were settled gingerly upon the beach.  The live ayikran were circling a safe distance away.  They were happy to recognize the return of their flyers, and were seemingly jealous that they had to acquiesce to being replaced that day.
  These two objects were the source of everyone's attention, and especially Pxepxi's.  Olo'AoTxampay would be living and studying within these cocoons, far beneath the Pandoran Sea. And if Pxepxi was denied space travel (for the time being) she definitely wanted to be part of underwater exploration.  Perhaps there were Na'vi under the sea!?  Perhaps distant relatives of the Laughing Sea Creatures could be met!  The possibilities seemed limitless and she was anxious to be part of this new undertaking.  She just KNEW that Kapteyn S'rron would allow her to come along.
   She followed the others, wading through the shallow lagoon to the place where the Labs were being set down on the beach.  Perhaps she could get to see the interior!  And even though their metswin were not connected, Pxepxi's baby seemed to be infected with the same excited curiosity as was she.  Her tiny fists pumped the air, and she emitted loud squeals of delight.
   It seemed to take forever for the Labs to be delivered and the choppers to land, for the flyers to emerge from their crafts. She wanted desperately to speak with S'rron.  However, she was always the last to emerge.  After the "Oel ngati Kameies" were exchanged, the fellow whom they called Tsyal Atun spoke up and said in an odd voice;
   "Oeyä uran alusìng lu teya sangi fa pxeya fayoang angim." (My floating boat is full of long fish).  He consulted with an imaginary book and seemed quite satisfied with himself.  Actually, was amusing himself by reciting a line from an ancient Earth comedy routine from Monty Python's Flying Circus.  He had been reviewing some of the old entertainment videographs during some of his free time.
   "Kehe, Ma Tsyal Atun.  Ngeyä uran ke lu teya si fa fayoang." corrected Pxepxi. (No, my Red Wing, your boat is not full of fish.) She looked at his empty aircraft and his canoe, farther away, and back at him with a puzzled expression.
   "Tsyal!" said Pamela in a scolding tone as she disembarked. "How are you going to explain a non-sequitor to a Na'vi? Most Earth people didn't understand the humor of Monty Python's Flying Circus!"  The routine had involved someone using a poorly translated phrase book, which spewed nonsense rather than asking a logical question.
   "I'm sorry, Ma Pamlala!  I simply could resist the craziness of it all!"
   "Besides" continued Pamela after embracing Pxepxi.  "'My Hovercraft is full of eels,' almost makes sense in this context, living on the ocean."
  "Ke slolam." pleaded Pxepxi.  (I don't understand.)
  "Tam, tam, ma tsmuke," assured Pamela.  "Pol fpìl fwa lu ipuyu." (He thinks that he is a funny guy.)
  At that moment S'rron emerged, and her attention was immediately drawn by the shriek which emerged from Little Aulani's lungs.  She reached out to kiss the baby, who immediately launched herself into the Kapteyn's arms.
   "Whoa! Kaltxì  ma Ma Prrnen aSpusä!" (Hello Jumping Baby!)
   "Nari sì, Ma Kapteyn!" blurted Pxepxi.  "Aulani sunu fwa kerä ngahu!" (Aulani wants to go with you.)
   "Oh, she does? Does she?" Sharon knew at once, the game Pxepxi was playing.
   "Srane. Ulta oel new kä nìteng." (Yes and I want to go too.)
Sharon tried not to look panic stricken.  Prrnen Aulani cooed and grabbed Sharon's nose and chortled. Unaccustomed to babies, Sharon caught Pamela's eye, and signaled HELP wordlessly.
  As she reached out, Prrnen Aulani launched herself into Pamela's arms.
  "There's no place on board for a nursery," agreed Pamela.
Ateyo was no longer to willing standby quietly.
   "Kehe!  Fì'u lu kelku akemuiä prrnenur." (That thing is not a proper home for a baby!)  She was thinking of her child and grandbaby being separated from her by the deep blue sea.
   "Slä Sanu!" (but Mom!) Pxepxi pleaded.  "Oel luke kä mì Sanhisip, ikran ke lu oer, ulte oe new nari si pe ayu rey äo txampay!" (I can't go on a starship, an ikran is not to be for me, and I want to see what things live under the ocean.)  Pxepxi was careful to modulate her voice to seem as though she were making a logical request, rather than a whining demand.
   "Ngeyä 'ite lu 'efu leomum nìtxan. (Your daughter feels much curiosity.) "Srake, ziva'u ayoenghu srr avol?" (Yes/No, she can come with us for eight days)
Ateyo and Sharon raised their hands in objection, but Pamela forged ahead before they could voice their protests.
   "We have to do a Shake Down, before we commit to long term immersion.  We can resurface in eight days.  Maybe she will settle for a small bit of adventure?"  she spoke to Sharon in Inglìsì.
   "Kawm. Oel fpivil fì'u' teri." (Perhaps. I will think about it.) said Sharon.
  At this admission, Pxepxi threw herself into Sharon's arms saying, "Irayo Ma Kapteyn S'rron. 'Fì'uiri irayo si nìtxan!" (Thank you Captain Sharon.  For this thing I thank you very much!)
   "PEY, pey, pey!"  (WAIT, wait, wait!) Oel pamlltxe, SAN:'Oel fpivil fì'u' teri.' SìK." (I said, QUOTE, 'I will think about it.' UNQUOTE.) She continued; "Awsiteng pivtlltxe ayounghu mawkrr txonä wutzo. Oel pänutìng ngar."  (Together we will talk after evening meal.  I promise to you.)
   Sharon looked pointedly at Psmrls and spoke in English.  "This is your idea, you will need to figure out the details."

Sharon turned to her olo' and exclaimed, "Let's get these choppers buttoned down, and do an equipment check before the evening meal." 

Apparently, while the crews were working, the other ayolo' were fishing and gathering. Succulent aromas beckoned the crew, who finished their chores in record time.  They knew that they would be eating pre-fab meals while on board the undersea habitat, and they were looking forward to the last night of commeradary.
   They were all sitting near the ylltxep (ceremonial fire), in a loose ring, somewhat according to clan, but with lots of intermingling, especially as the meal came to an end.  Pxepxi and Kofi came over, hands filled with skewered Pandoran Tsrimp.  So it was understandable that they did not gesture to the foreheads when they greeted:
  "Moel ayngati kamiei!"
Chip and John took the greeting as a cue and made room for the couple, and for Ateyo who was carrying Prrnen, Baby Aulani.  Ateyo had taken the baby's plump blue hand and made the gesture for both of them from Aulani's forehead. They had been discussing childcare possibilities for Aulani throughout the day. But they each deferred their comments until Pamela and Sharon had finished eating the tsrimp which they had been presented with.
   "Ayoeng lolamu perllte," (we have been talking) started Kofi, "teri vewng Prrnen Aulanil vola trrur." (about the care of Baby Aulani for eight days)
"Set po lu yerom syuve ahewne." (Now she eats soft food) admitted Kofi proudly.  "Ulte Sanok oeyä panuting srung sivi, nìteng. Vola trr nì'au." And my mother promises to help also. For eight days only.

Overhearing the conversation, Tatyana leaned toward Sharon and murmured confidentially; "I could see about creating a breast pump, but I don't know if I should even introduce that concept to the Na'vi.  It might be repulsively foreign to them."
   "And living underwater isn't?" remarked Sharon.  "Besides which, I don't think there will be time. We will be deploying tomorrow."
   Sharon turned to Pxepxi and looked at her sternly.  "First thing in the morning, we will see if you fit in the Emergency Escape Gear.  If you fit, then you can come."  Ateyo had a rough time translating this, not being able to comprehend what the gear in question truly was.  Pxepxi was given to understand that SOMETHING they were talking about had to FIT on her body.  And she would simply have to wait until morning to learn what that was.  She tried to remember all the things which she had seen in the quick tour of the Underwater Lab.
   "Yivemtsok pxen fpi kerä äo txampxay?" (I will have to put on clothing for the sake of going underwater?)
   "Srane."  The folks at Blue Heart Gate had devised several underwater deep-diving suits, as well as an extra one estimated in size to fit Pxepxi.  She wanted to suggest they try the fitting right now.  But she knew it wouldn't serve her to irritate Captain Sharon by her insistence.  She decided to acquiesce, and simply nodded.

This interruption allowed Tatyana to decide that she might help with the feeding of Prrnen Aulani and offered her assistance during the week.  "Oel ke lu yamomtìng prrnen takrra oeyä Vladamir lamu mì tewng prrnenä!" (I haven't fed a baby since Vladamir was in diapers - baby loincloth.)
  Good-natured hooting and howling ensued as his crew mates imagined him as a baby in nappies.  Someone dared calling him Prrnen Vlad when they thought they were out of earshot.  This happy conversation was interrupted when a huge menacing shadow covered their faces. Sharon and others had started to their feet when they saw the shadow of an ancient weapon appear.  But they immediately recognized the voice which thundered:
  "Nari siei fì'u a oe rivol!" (Look at the thing which I have found!)  He brandished a pair of hand carved nifo'oti. (Teeth of Death)  They were replicas of the ancient weapons carved by Samoans before the demise of Planet Earth.
   "TXANSAN",  replied Ka'alani his wife.  Kofi found her two hardwood drumsticks from the wood pile.  Her favorite hollowed out log-seat served as a drum. (by design. she took every opportunity to drum)  With Baby Izzy strapped to her back, she started beating out the familiar staccato and soon other Na'vi joined in.  They hadn't seen a Fire Knife Dance in quite a while, but they were looking forward to it.  Taifi', Tai, and Kofi started out without fire, just to remember the rhythms.  Taifi' had recovered only two weapons, so they incorporated lots of tossing moves to exchange the weapons back and forth.  With a shout and a nod from Ka'alani, one knife was smeared with fat, which someone had anticipated and brought out.  A torch added flame to the knives.A cheer went up as flaming knives were tossed, twirling in the air, to be snatched from flight and twirled and returned.  The three dancers were exhilarated by the impromptu performance and their remembered skill.  All the Na'vi were excited to see this dance. Once it was finished, many desired to learn the moves and a simple instruction also began.  The celebration went on until the rising of the third moon, when Sharon interrupted the revelry. 
  "I hate to have to remind my crew that we have an appointment with the undersea lab tomorrow.  You all need to get some shut eye."
  "Ah, Kapteyn! Do we haveta?" whined John in mock protest. But soon the party had dispersed, because the Na'vi were looking forward to the next day, as well.
    Apparently, Kofi had found the ukelele which stowed with the nifo'oti on the choppers.   The bright tinkling notes were amplified by the cave. It was a song which Tsahik Alekxsi had created to soothe Pxepxi, many years earlier.
As silence fell over the encampment, the sound of a lullaby was heard near the mouth of the Cave.

Ateyo Te Syaksyuk

513)  Pxepxi was too excited to sleep. She tossed and turned on the swaynivi, family sleeping surface, which she and Kofi had woven.  And although the entire trampoline-like affair quivered with her every movement, still Kofi and Aulani remained asleep.  She kissed her baby and tucked her close to Kofi's body.  Instinctively, he reached his arm protectively around Little Aulani.  Pxepxi gave him a smooch and he murmured, "'Efu mowan ngaru." (I desire you.)  She knew he would not remember the encounter come morning.  It was part of their established routine by now.  Pxepxi got up from the swaynivi and wandered outside to relieve her bladder. 
   But more than that necessity, she wanted to see the big metal containers which would go under the water.  She wondered if Sharon would actually agree to let her come aboard.  She was drawn closer and closer to the huge objects by her curiosity and desire.  She even placed her hand upon the metal skin. A metal cave for living underwater!  The idea was exciting in itself.  She walked around the perimeter, admiring the reflection of several moons and the back-glow of the forest and lagoon upon its smooth surface. 
  It was then that she heard the voices murmuring.  Had someone else come to look at the metal cave?  She inched closer to the voices, coming from the beach at the edge of the lagoon.  Her ears perked up and her tail swished with excitement.  She recognized one voice. It was Kapteyn S'rron!  She decided to join them, but scuffled her feet through the sand, so as not to sneak-up and startle them.
   "Halt! Who goes there?" It was Sharon's voice!  She didn't know what she had said, but Pxepxi greeted them in Na'vi;
  "Oel mengati kamiei. Oe lu Pxepxi!" (I SEE you Two.  I am Pxepxi!)
  "Pxepxi!  I should have guessed", replied Sharon in Na'vi.  "Ngaru lu ke hahaw?! Za'u ulte heyn 'awsìteng." (To you is not sleep?  Come and sit together with us!)
  "Nìprrte!" (with pleasure) "Slä oel rä'ä 'ì'awn txana krr." (But I can't stay long.)
"'Efu 'o'?"  asked Sharon. (Feel excitement?)
"Srane! Txana 'O'" (Yes. Much excitement.) "Fìu lom lu slär lefngap."  (This thing seems like a metal cave.)
"Srake, fpìl ngaru hivihaw sì rivey nemfa slär lefngap trr avol?"  (Yes/no. You could sleep and live inside this metal cave for eight days?) asked Scott.
"Srane.  Vola trr, kxawm. Slä lom livu oeyä prrnen. (Yes.  Eight days, perhaps.  But I will miss my baby.)  And she added, as an afterthought, "Ulte oeyä muntxatan!" (And my husband.)
   Sharon smiled to herself in the pre-dawn light.  She was indeed fortunate to be married to a fellow researcher and marine biologist.  Nor did she have to schedule herself around the needs of an infant.  Well, at least they could share eight days of this experience with Pxepxi.  After that, she would have to find her excitement in other ways more suited to a young Na'vi mother.  All of these thoughts flashed in her brain in an instant, like a burst laserbeam encoded message.  Meanwhile, Sìkat was re-introducing himself to Pxepxi.  He had met her mother Ateyo, on several occasions, and Pxepxi vaguely remembered meeting him as well.
   "Ayoeng nìwotx tätxivaw ne Slär Mektsenghu ulte hahaw."  (We all should return  to the Slotted Cave and sleep.), suggested Sharon.
   "Aw." protested Sìkot. "Why do I haveta? I got nobody to sleep next to."
He was getting up though.  Sharon threw her arm about his shoulders and replied,
  "That can be arranged,  Sìkat.  That can surely be arranged in the near future. Ateyo is an excellent matchmaker.  I'm sure she can find you the perfect mate!"
As they trudged through the sand, all three arm in arm, Scott decided that he would not worry about finding a mate for at least eight days.
   He found himself a spot in the damp sand near the mouth of the cave.
  "Omum tsat ngaru sleku yemfpay sangi krra fäkä pay." (You know that to you will become immersion when rises water,) said Pxepxi when she saw him settling in the mouth of the cave.
   "Srane. Oel omum. Slä hivahawstyìp oer." (Yes, I know. But to me is a nap, a light sleep.)
As Pxepxi entered their family chamber, she listened carefully for snoring.  Kofi was sleeping like a log, Aulani contentedly curled in the crook of his arm.  She stepped closer to the swaynivi (family sleeping nest) but caught her foot on something and nearly stumbled. She reversed the weight on her foot and heard a soft clatter.  Of course! The ikranstyìp fìuvan.  The ikran plaything.  Years ago, Auntie Twiti had made a marionette which looked like an ikran.  Kofi's father had recently found it inside the lefngapa ikran (the Dragon) sitting next to the fire knives.   She had re-oiled the wings, (made from ziti, sting bat) and set it side.
  She picked it up now and happy memories flooded her mind, along with a stray thought: "Fko rä'ä hivahaw nì'awtu."(No one should sleep alone.) She smiled to herself as one last impish plan formed in her head.

Sharon walked to the mouth of the cave to awaken Sìkat. She smiled broadly as she tapped his foot with hers.
"Ma Sìkat! Lom tsat ngaru lu herahaw rofa tuteo!" (It seems that to you is sleeping alongside someone.) Scott startled awake to find a silly looking ikran doll nestled under his arm.   
"Pehem!!!  Pesu? Kempe si fìu?" (What happened? Who? Who did this?")
Pxepxi giggled from the opening of her chamber.  "Ngaru kelu hahaw nì'it. Ngaru lu hahaw atxukx! (To you is not sleep a little bit, to you is deep sleep!)
  He stood up and brushed off the sand from himself. He noticed that Pxepxi was unabashedly breastfeeding her baby.  In embarrassment, he placed the stringed puppet on the rocky shelf above his head. Carefully avoiding eye contact, he called over his shoulder,
  "Ikranstyìpìri, oe irayo seiyi." (For this Little Ikran, I thank you.) He was spared further comment because above him, the shell horn sounded. "Tìng mikun! Slukx
Trr'Ong Sä'eoioru syaw ayoeng" (Give an ear! The horns calls us for Daybreak Ceremony.) He turned quickly toward the mouth of the cave and nearly bumped into Sharon, who was grinning at his awkwardness. "Ulte nga tsun ftang herangham!" he said in mock indignation. (And you can stop laughing!)
  They joined others crowding onto the beach around the cave entrance.  The rays of the eastern sun illuminated the horn blower, in this case Tsahik Syulang Aean.  Other aysahik were climbing up from the landward entrance. Tsahik Ateyo, Tsahik Alekxsi, and, of course, Tsahik Pxepxi with Prrnen Aulani in her arms.

Ateyo Te Syaksyuk

514) One did not especially need a tswin to realize that the air was thick with emotion as the aysahik finished their Morning ritual of Greeting the Sun. Tsahik Alekxsi had anticipated that something extra would be needed so she raised her arms to beckon the crowd.
  "Fìtrr lu trr asey." (Today is a special day.) "Awnga Olo'äotxampay (Our Undersea Clan) hirvum sop ne Txampay akllpa..." (will be leaving on a journey to the Sea bottom.) She continued in Na'vi:
   "They will be isolated from us, and isolated even from the ocean.  They will not have a Tree of Voices or a Well of Souls.  So it is important that we spend time together, now, listening to the Mother, before they all depart.  They will be taking our youngest Tsahik Pxepxi with them. This will be  a good trial, even though very short, for Pxepxi to act as Tsahik, and to practice what she has learned with mipa tsahik Pamlala.  She will be responsible for their spiritual and emotional well-being.  She will need to conduct morning and evening rituals with Tsahik Pamlala, even though there is no Sun visible to their eyes, they must stay connected to all of the creation of Eywa. Mesahik Pxepxi sì Pamlala will help them."
   It had not occurred to Pxepxi that she would be, not only learning of Mipa Teknolotsi, but also responsible for conveying much ritual and lore of the Na'vi, in an equal exchange.  Suddenly, she felt overwhelmed with responsibility.  Ateyo must have seen the panic in her daughter's eyes, because she turned to her and pulled her close. She intercepted Prrnen Aulani in one arm and draped the other around Pxepxi's shoulders.
   "Ngar rä'ä 'efu sngum, ma 'Ite. Nga sì Pamlala kem sivi fì'u nìltsan!" (Don't feel worry, my Daughter. You and Pamlala will do well.)
  They stepped towards Pamela who was joining them as well. 
   "Ma Pamlala," spoke Ateyo.  "Oeyä 'ite nivew srung sivi ftu ngar." (My daughter will need help from you.) "Peyä ayYawnetur livu mìso." (She will be away from her Beloved Ones.)
   Pxepxi stood aghast. She thought she would be the "Tsahik with All the Answers", but saying so aloud would insult both her Mother and Pamlala.  She dropped her eyes and accepted her fate.
   "Ma 'ìte, ngaru keamu mìso ftu prrnen ngeyä. Mawkrr 'awva fu mune trr, txunslu fwa 'efu yayayr mì txelan ngeyä. Pamlala srung sivi ngar." (My daughter, to you has not been away from your daughter. After the first day or two, it is possible that you will feel confusion in your heart.  Pamlala will help you)
   Pamela was surprised as well.  She would be counselling a young mother and her experience base was non-existent. But lonliness she could understand.
   "Poe livu sulìn nìtxan hrr nìwotx. Slä krrka txon ngar livu 'efu nì'awtu." (She will be busy all days, but during night she will feel all alone) observed Pamlala.
   The clans had been moving enmasse toward the stream which tumbled down the hillside and emptied through the Slotted Cave on its way to the Sea.  Pamela always felt that it was magical to step from the back of the cave into the bower formed by the over-hanging trees.  From each tree dangled the softly luminescent tendrils of the Trees of Voices. And syanan, many tiny waterfalls, spilled from pool to pool, tumbling down the streambed with murmured voices as well.  Small birds and insects added to the sounds.
  Tsahik Alekxsi traveled deep enough along the stream to insure that everyone had access to the tendrils.  Po lu tivìng lawr, she was humming softly, without words, a song of Oneness and of togetherness.  As each person connected to the Trees of Voices, the words became audible,voices from past and present joining in the Great Tree Song.

We are all seeds
Of the Great Tree,
Whose strength is in our legs
Like the mighty trunks,
In our arms
As sheltering branches,
In our eyes
The blue-flower
Which unfolds to the sun.
We are all seeds
Of the Great Tree
Whose song is within us.
Utralä (a)Nawm
ayrina'l(u) ayoeng,
A peyä tìtxur mì hinam awngeyä
N(a) aysangek afkeu,
Mì pun
N(a) ayvul ahusawnu,
M(ì) aynar
Na seze
A 'ong ne tsawke.
Utralä (a)Nawm
ayrina' l(u) ayoeng,
A peyä tìrol m(ì) awnga.

The melody was sad and sweet. It was used on many occasions, but especially departures and  even funerals. It seemed to everyone present, that leaving to go under water was death-like, in a way. It also seemed that for eight days, Pxepxi would be dead and then reborn, much as going on a vision quest.  This information was soaked up by Pamlala especially.  It might give her a way to connect with Pxepxi during the underwater pressure testing.
   The song ended but people continued, tìng lawr, humming the melody wordlessly. There was a warm afterglow, which was experienced by all, through the connection of their ayswin, their neural braids.  The calmness infused the minds, hearts and souls.  All sat calmly, unwilling to let the delicious experience dissipate. 
   But the day was only starting and soon thoughts of the day's activities began to filter into the collective consciousness.  Pamlala did not have to open her eyes to know that S'rron was already anticipating the positioning of the modules over the ocean.  She opened her eyes and slid them edgewise to glimpse Sharon, busily piloting the rotor wing dragon in her imagination.  She had already allowed her connection to the Trees of Voices to terminate.  But her movements were tiny and her lips moved as she silently recited her checklist.
  Pamlala rose to her feet, as many others were doing.  S'rron noticed the movement and got up also, embarrassed that her own impatience might have been noticed.  Hand in hand with Pamlala, she made her way with the crowd, down the syanan, the bank of tiny waterfalls, which cascaded toward the Slotted Cave.  Soon they were flanked by John and Chip. The Others of the Undersea Renegades migrated with them to the top of the Slotted Cave. Eager faces turned toward Sharon for their instructions.
   Sharon viewed those who had gathered and noticed that Pxepxi had joined them, even with a suckling infant in her arms. Near her were Ateyo and TaiTaeAo, and Pxepxi's young husband, Kofi, as well as his parents, Taifa'ana'e and Ka'alani. All the younger members of Kofi's clan were gathered near, as they were all Techies from Shiralta's starship. (Shiralta herself, was still living happily with her muntxatan among the RedBird Clan) All the Mipa Na'vi were nearby, especially Sìkot.
   Pxepxi tried to comfort Prrnen Aulani so that she sould hear what Kapteyn S'rron was saying to the crew members.  She was startled when Sharon turned to her and said, "Kesngum sivi, Ma Pxepxi. Fìtrr awnga steftxaw mekre.  Nga kea tìkin zerok ayu nìwotx, set." (Don't worry, Pxepxi. Today we check supplies.  You don't have to remember all these things, now.) "Ngian, ngal zene yemstok pennit fpisyeha sivi äo txampay." (However, you must put on clothing for the sake of breathing underwater.)
   These words made Pxepxi very excited.  She was nearly beside herself with joy.  Even Aulani stopped fussing when she sensed her mother's joy.  She thought nothing of it when her Sanu started walking with some of these other people.
   The entourage had now gathered in front of the Main Lab's airlock.  The door made an odd noise and moved along its track, revealing the rows of deep diving suits.  Pxepxi was delighted when Pamlala took the time to point out the letters spelling her name in Inglìsì.
  "Yemstok fì DIVING SUIT."
  "DAI-VìNG  SUT?" Pxepxi tried on the word.  She turned to Ateyo and placed Aulani in hers arms. Who, of course, immediately started fussing. Pxepxi gave a concerned look over her shoulder, yet stepped into the bottom half of the suit as instructed.  Pamela and Chip helped fit the top part of the suit onto Pxepxi.  Methodically, they called out each step of the process. Call and response.  The boots, the gloves, all checked and double checked. Each step cause Aulani to give out a wail.  But when her Sanu's face became encased in the helmet - that's when the shrieking occurred. 
  The sheiking caused everyone to wince in pain.  Pamela managed to activate to breathing apparatus.  But when Pxepxi noticed the anxiety of her baby, she tried desperately to pull off the helmet.  Pamela, in a desperate effort to ignore the screaming infant, thought that Pxepxi was not receiving a proper air mixture and was trying to ascertain the levels and to re-calibrate the Control Unit of the Suit.  There were a few moments of panic until Kapteyn S'rron ascertained the problem and intervened.  With the helmet removed, the shrieking returned to wailing.
  "Ftxumfa! Rutxe! Srung sive ftxumfa!" (Out of here. Help me out of here!) shouted Pxepxi.  The panic in her voice caused Aulani to shriek again.  And Ateyo, trying to distance the noisy child from the group, started backing away.  This caused Aulani to throw herself across Ateyo's shoulders and reaching out to Pxepxi with her chubby little arms. 
Somehow, Pxepxi was disencumbered of the Pressure Diving Suit and stumbled toward her terrified child.  She took the bewildered baby in hers arms and started cooing reassuringly to her.
  "Tam tam, Sanu var tivok fìtsengit." (There, there. Mommy is right here.)
She spent some time swaying with her child, tapping her lightly;
Tam tam Tam tam Tam tam Tam tam
Like a heartbeat -- -- -- until Little Aulani calmed down.
  Pxepxi turned to Sharon and Pamela, and with tears streaming down her face she pleaded in Na'vi.
  "Oe new ayngahu kä kllpa äo txampay, slä oe ketsun txìng prrnen oeyä. Rutxe. Txoa livu. Oe zenke!" (I want to go with you to the bottom of the sea, but I cannot abandon my baby. Please forgive me. I must not!)
Sharon leaned down and touched the shoulder of the distraught young woman.
   "Oe tslam." (I understand.) "Prrnen ngeyä kin ngaru." (Your baby needs you.)
"Kawm trr alahe." (Perhaps another time.)
  Pamela was stroking the infant's head and trying to reassure Pxepxi. "Kxawm tsun nga nari si ayrel a'usärìp ayoehu alahe trr." (Perhaps you can look at the moving pictures with us another time.) She knew it sounded lame, but it was the only thing she could think of.  Her true observation was that she was grateful that she had never had to choose between having a child and going on an exploration.  She stole a glimpse at Sharon and could sense that she was thinking a similar thing.
  As Pxepxi and her family withdrew, Sharon murmured to Pamela.  "That little performance of Aulani's was upsetting, but I think a whole lot of complications have been avoided."
  Pamela looked once again at the retreating figures and said, "For us, definitely.  But for her, I'm not so sure."
  Pxepxi seated herself in the shade of a tree, surrounded by her family and watched wistfully, as the other divers suited up and entered the Lab.