Fan-Fiction Novel?

Started by Eana Ketuwong, June 29, 2011, 10:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eana Ketuwong

I'm writing a Novel I named Pandora, and I'm thinking about self-publishing it online and giving all the credit and what-not to James Cameron and...yeah..
I've already talked this over with my dad, who likes the novel itself, along with my English teacher that even gave me an award for writing it. I'm extremely happy, and the English teacher even wants me to publish it! I don't know if I can though, since it's...about Avatar.
So, here's a sneak peak (I'm still editing. This is the manuscript and it still is in the writing process, so things are due to change)

"Perfect! First try!" she looked over at me quizzically. "You know, I'm not supposed to be doing these checkups. I'm a botanist...I should be doing this to plants," she shrugged. "Oh well, I'm your administrator, I can perform this test if I want."
I clenched my teeth together. You know what? Now I'm actually scared.

Tell me what you think so far...is it worth it? I've already written 150 pages, and I really want to publish it but...it's a FAN FICTION. I don't think anybody will read it! I'll continue to post more if you guys approve of me publishing this novel. I really hope this works out, but, like I said, I'm scared.

EDIT: And...am I allowed to publish it? I've been writing it FOREVER now, and it's about Grace's school and Tom Sully and Neytiri and Sylwanin...and...it's somewhat like the movie, but with a completely different outcome and...yeah. I don't know. This is confusing, and I don't need legal issues with James Cameron (My hero <3). So, I'm scared. It's loosely based of the movie; is it able to be published? Hkdlfaj;sldfjioas!!
Tumbling hard until 3 AM on a Wednesday night

Amaya

:-\ the "publish" idea seems a bit dicey to me...  Generally this sort of stuff (as far as I know) stays off Amazon and on places like fanfiction.net

Even if it involves a story that turns out a lot differently, you're still using JC's world, some of his characters, etc.  Generally this is what would be called, in the fanfiction world, and "AU" or "AT"

This by no means is me telling you not to put it up somewhere!  Just...investigate REALLY carefully first.  A lot of companies are really vicious about copyright infringement and unauthorized use of their characters.

There has been some mention of JC allowing us to play in his universe and get published, but this is still very much a "maybe", and would only happen after he has finished his Avatar novel and set more of the facts of Pandora and the Na'vi in stone.

Eana Ketuwong

Irayo, that's where I'm stuck...I'm just scared if I actually want to go through with it, or just leave it here for people to enjoy. I don't really want to make profit, I just want to see it in book form...that's always been my goal all along :)

So, I guess I can share the PDF and you guys can tell me what you think; I'm still typing it from the hand-written draft; but 1) I hope you like it and 2) I hope you all think its publishable.

By THAT I mean, if it's even somewhat safe to publish. Or...something.

Eana Ketuwong

Updated PDF