Na'vi Novel Writing Month...

Started by Amaya, September 19, 2010, 03:22:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puvomun

Quote from: Txur'Itan on November 02, 2010, 03:23:47 AM
So many people are doing this nanowrimo that I know personally, it is really rather interesting.

I am starting to wonder what the point of it is ultimately.

The idea is to let go of any constraint and just write like a beserker. No inner editor to discuss things with, no polished story or so. Just go go go, write as if there's no one reading, and have fun with the insanity. Afterwards there is always time to rework, edit and clean things up. :)
Krr a lì'fya lam sraw, may' frivìp utralit.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Tanhìyärina'

I just found this topic.  I started NaNo yesterday!  I'm not writing anything Avatar-themed, but I will be writing along with all of you.  There will probably be some Avatar- and Na'vi-like themes, though.  If you want to add me as a friend, or, ahem, make tsaheylu, it seems, my name there is Talavaria.
Fitseng lu oe, tìftia kìfkeyä seri.

Puvomun

Kaltxì ma Tanhìyärina

Quote from: Tanhìyärina' on November 02, 2010, 10:15:44 AM
I just found this topic.  I started NaNo yesterday!  I'm not writing anything Avatar-themed, but I will be writing along with all of you.  There will probably be some Avatar- and Na'vi-like themes, though.  If you want to add me as a friend, or, ahem, make tsaheylu, it seems, my name there is Talavaria.
I have just added you. You can find me under http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/201175 (paganpaul)

Kìyevame...

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Tanhìyärina'

Quote from: Puvomun on November 02, 2010, 10:25:58 AM
Kaltxì ma Tanhìyärina

I have just added you. You can find me under http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/201175 (paganpaul)

Kìyevame...

Irayo!  I have added you back.  Etrìpa syayvi!

Eywa ngahu, ma oeyä tsmukan.
Fitseng lu oe, tìftia kìfkeyä seri.

Amaya

inspiration and action have finally come, and I'm quickly catching up with where I should be all thanks to my friends online doing word wars...40 minutes and 2500 words, whee!

My word count is presently at... *drumroll*...3810!  I should be able to at least double tht tomorrow, too.  Wheee!  Sliding into NaNo with a vengence! ;D ;D

Ekirä

Quote from: Amaya on November 03, 2010, 10:09:20 PM
inspiration and action have finally come, and I'm quickly catching up with where I should be all thanks to my friends online doing word wars...40 minutes and 2500 words, whee!

My word count is presently at... *drumroll*...3810!  I should be able to at least double tht tomorrow, too.  Wheee!  Sliding into NaNo with a vengence! ;D ;D

Against my better judgment I've joined the madness. ;D Started yesterday, with a word count of 6930. ::)

Not so bad for a first timer, in my opinion. Now I just need to keep the plot (what plot?) rolling......

Txur’Itan

Quote from: Ekirä on November 03, 2010, 10:20:16 PM
Quote from: Amaya on November 03, 2010, 10:09:20 PM

Against my better judgment I've joined the madness. ;D Started yesterday, with a word count of 6930. ::)

Not so bad for a first timer, in my opinion. Now I just need to keep the plot (what plot?) rolling......

Just don't use the same word twice. =P
私は太った男だ。

Ekirä

Quote from: Txur'Itan on November 03, 2010, 11:26:32 PM

HRH. Once I'm done with this it would be awesome to go through and see what were the most commonly used words. :D

And......w00t! Up to 8,017. ;D Think I'll quit for the night.

Puvomun

Unless one of your characters has a st... st... st... stammer. ;)

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Ekirä

Quote from: Puvomun on November 04, 2010, 03:22:34 AM
Unless one of your characters has a st... st... st... stammer. ;)
HRH that would be be a clever trick. ;) But so far none of mine do.....

Puvomun

Quote from: Ekirä on November 04, 2010, 09:22:47 AM
Another trick that works is doing the opposite of Max Patel's advice to Jake Sully. He said "use big words."
You should use small words. But many of them. It is how I write. It makes writing easier to do and also easier to read for others. (Of course I can always hide behind the excuse that English is not my native tongue. That's Na'vi. Oh, no, it's Dutch. Sorry.)

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Ekirä

Quote from: Puvomun on November 04, 2010, 01:28:00 PM
Quote from: Ekirä on November 04, 2010, 09:22:47 AM
Another trick that works is doing the opposite of Max Patel's advice to Jake Sully. He said "use big words."
You should use small words. But many of them. It is how I write. It makes writing easier to do and also easier to read for others. (Of course I can always hide behind the excuse that English is not my native tongue. That's Na'vi. Oh, no, it's Dutch. Sorry.)
I find what helps me is dialogue--my characters talk a looooooooot. :P And I mean a lot. I have one page of solid dialogue. :D

Puvomun

Quote from: Ekirä on November 04, 2010, 01:31:13 PM
I find what helps me is dialogue--my characters talk a looooooooot. :P And I mean a lot. I have one page of solid dialogue. :D
HAHAHAHA! Oh yes, mine never stop babbling either most of the time. But that's good. It adds depth to the characters, it makes them come alive and be credible.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Ekirä

Quote from: Puvomun on November 04, 2010, 01:35:12 PM
Quote from: Ekirä on November 04, 2010, 01:31:13 PM
HAHAHAHA! Oh yes, mine never stop babbling either most of the time. But that's good. It adds depth to the characters, it makes them come alive and be credible.
Yeah. ;D And the best way to up your word count without cheating? Police interrogations... ::)

Txur’Itan

I tend to write curious characters.  They ask questions, and try to understand the events of the story.
私は太った男だ。

Puvomun

Quote from: Ekirä on November 04, 2010, 01:43:43 PM
Yeah. ;D And the best way to up your word count without cheating? Police interrogations... ::)
ROFLMAO!! You had me in stitches there!!! ;D

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Ekirä

Quote from: Puvomun on November 04, 2010, 01:47:00 PM
ROFLMAO!! You had me in stitches there!!! ;D
HRH. ;D But really, they ask so many questions..... :D

Amaya

for me there are three ways I have of expanding story.
1: introspection (I've been using that a lot in my NaNo so far)
2: raunchy scenes (um...not so far!  They're only 17 and 15, not mated yet!)
3: telling a story.  One of the characters finds a reason to tell a long, complicated story to another character (this might happen soon in my story) ;D

Feel free to use any of these!

Tsuksìm atsawl (KaPTan)

ok i've FINALLY started writing XD.  add me as a friend. TsuksimAtsawl.
Also a member of the podcast known as Avatar Nation.  Come listen to our stuff! like us on facebook and chech out our blog at Avatar-Nation.net.

archaic

I have nightmares about stuff like NaNo, so I hope you'll forgive me if I just go hide behind the couch and whimper. :-[ :'( :-[

Quote from: Ekirä on November 04, 2010, 01:43:43 PM

I in't tellin' you nuffin' .....
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.