Na'vi Novel Writing Month...

Started by Amaya, September 19, 2010, 03:22:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

archaic

Quote from: Ekirä on December 16, 2010, 05:52:37 PM
Quote from: archaic on December 16, 2010, 05:48:30 PM
Screams in terror, hides behind couch, hopes the words won't find me.
Aw, come on, it's not so bad!! Really. I'm not even a writer and I managed to do it, and you write awesome stuff. ;D

Quote from: archaic on November 10, 2010, 11:21:45 PM
I have nightmares about stuff like NaNo, so I hope you'll forgive me if I just go hide behind the couch and whimper. :-[ :'( :-[

Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Duma Vadamee {Aungia Tsawkeyä}

agreed. i dont think i could do nano until ive gotten my writing style perfected, which i have not and that practically s***s cause i wanted to do nano.  :(

old gallery link?id=2254[/img]

Le'eylan

Nano is fuuuun  :D
It's filled with rainbows and kittens eating mini-pizzas and unicorns with sparkling eyes..
Krro krro pamrel seri fìtsengmì, alu oey pìlok leNa'vi
Sometimes writing here, on my Na'vi blog
=^● ⋏ ●^=

Puvomun

Quote from: Duma Vadamee {Aungia Tsawkeyä} on December 17, 2010, 08:21:22 AM
agreed. i dont think i could do nano until ive gotten my writing style perfected, which i have not and that practically s***s cause i wanted to do nano.  :(
I am sorry but that is the wrong attitude. Nano is there to write without bounds and perfection. You just push out the words and worry about edits and nice and stuff later. Nano is the time to go crazy and don't bother about blue eyes changing to green back to pink!

Quote from: Le'eylan on December 17, 2010, 08:25:03 AM
It's filled with rainbows and kittens eating mini-pizzas and unicorns with sparkling eyes..
See? Le'eylan's got the nano-bug! ;D
Krr a lì'fya lam sraw, may' frivìp utralit.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Ekirä

Quote from: Puvomun on December 17, 2010, 09:26:08 AM
Quote from: Duma Vadamee {Aungia Tsawkeyä} on December 17, 2010, 08:21:22 AM
I am sorry but that is the wrong attitude. Nano is there to write without bounds and perfection. You just push out the words and worry about edits and nice and stuff later. Nano is the time to go crazy and don't bother about blue eyes changing to green back to pink!
Yes, exactly. Trust me, when I'm writing for quantity my writing is AWFUL. And it doesn't have to be good--some people do it for the finished product, I do it because it's a challenge. I'm not going to do anything with my novel. It's just a sign that I could do it. :P

Quote from: Puvomun on December 17, 2010, 09:26:08 AM
Quote from: Le'eylan on December 17, 2010, 08:25:03 AM
See? Le'eylan's got the nano-bug! ;D
And NaNo can be whatever you want it to be. It can be even BETTER than rainbows and kittens eating mini-pizzas and unicorns with sparkling eyes (is that possible? ;)). NaNo is whatever you want it to be. So get over your fears and try it. ;D

Le'eylan

Next year I'll try to make some of my friends to join me, and then I'll have NaNoWriMo sleepovers.  ;D  ;)
=^● ⋏ ●^=

Ekirä

Quote from: Le'eylan on December 17, 2010, 11:24:56 AM
Next year I'll try to make some of my friends to join me, and then I'll have NaNoWriMo sleepovers.  ;D  ;)
That's an awesome idea. ;D Then you can word war together. I never got around to doing that...

I must say, NaNo-ing with friends does get kind of difficult because you'd often rather talk than write. ;)

Puvomun

Quote from: Le'eylan on December 17, 2010, 11:24:56 AM
Shouldn't that be write-overs? ;)

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Puvomun

2170 words so far today. Drinking a glass of wine has a bad influence on productivity. But I like the wine, so that's a good thing I gues.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Le'eylan

=^● ⋏ ●^=

Ekirä

Le'eylan

I have about a 1000 words that showed up from nowhere today. I didn't write anything, there's just an addition of 1000 words.....

awesome.. ;D
=^● ⋏ ●^=

Le'eylan

DON'T YOU DARE TO FAIL ON ME NOW OPEN OFFICE! DON'T YOU DARE!
=^● ⋏ ●^=

Ekirä

Quote from: Le'eylan on December 17, 2010, 08:04:08 PM

You...don't tell me....you're using OpenOffice?

Uh. You most likely have 3000 words less than you think you do.... Oh, and you should back up your novel. Just copy and paste all of it into an email and save it as a draft.

Le'eylan

Quote from: Ekirä on December 17, 2010, 08:07:47 PM

Uh. You most likely have 3000 words less than you think you do.... Oh, and you should back up your novel. Just copy and paste all of it into an email and save it as a draft.

I have less words? D: what is that you're talking about?
=^● ⋏ ●^=

Puvomun

Quote from: Le'eylan on December 17, 2010, 08:09:56 PM

A bit of a "problem" is that not all programs count words the same way, but don't worry. I used OO to do the count for my words with Nano also, and in the end there was a difference of about 300 words that OO had more than the official Nano counter program for me. And on 50.000 words, that's hardly a dent.

And I love your drawing! ;D

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Ekirä

Quote from: Le'eylan on December 17, 2010, 08:09:56 PM

Maybe OpenOffice for Mac is worse than most others, but I have seen on the NaNo forums OpenOffice is notorious for exaggerating word counts....about 3 days before I was finishing NaNo I ran my novel through their word count validator thingy and rather than having 48,000 like OO said, I had 45,000. Bit of a nasty shock. :P

Puvomun

Quote from: Ekirä on December 18, 2010, 12:08:45 AM
Maybe OpenOffice for Mac is worse than most others, but I have seen on the NaNo forums OpenOffice is notorious for exaggerating word counts....about 3 days before I was finishing NaNo I ran my novel through their word count validator thingy and rather than having 48,000 like OO said, I had 45,000. Bit of a nasty shock. :P
:o That is an insane difference!! I can see where your shock came from. Urgh.
I use Writer's Café for writing my stories, and the word counter in that is far more optimistic than OO. That would tell me I have about 1000 words more than OO would report. Writer's Café counts hyphenated words (e.g. head-ache) as 2 words, where OO (for Linux) makes that 1 word.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Ekirä

Quote from: Puvomun on December 18, 2010, 12:14:00 AM
Quote from: Ekirä on December 18, 2010, 12:08:45 AM
:o That is an insane difference!! I can see where your shock came from. Urgh.
I use Writer's Café for writing my stories, and the word counter in that is far more optimistic than OO. That would tell me I have about 1000 words more than OO would report. Writer's Café counts hyphenated words (e.g. head-ache) as 2 words, where OO (for Linux) makes that 1 word.
Yeah, I was prepared for OO giving me maybe a few hundred more than NaNo's count...but 3000 was just a bit over the line. And it was I was SO CLOSE to being done....talk about a plummet of self esteem. :D

But I made it anyway. And for some unknown reason I still use OpenOffice.

Puvomun

Quote from: Ekirä on December 18, 2010, 12:28:14 AM
Yeah, I was prepared for OO giving me maybe a few hundred more than NaNo's count...but 3000 was just a bit over the line. And it was I was SO CLOSE to being done....talk about a plummet of self esteem. :D

But I made it anyway. And for some unknown reason I still use OpenOffice.
Well, OO is great software, I use it too, and used it for writing a lot before I got Writer's Café (which I translated to Dutch).

OO is reliable and free. That counts for something already.

Ngopyu ayvurä.