Na'vi Novel Writing Month...

Started by Amaya, September 19, 2010, 03:22:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puvomun

Quote from: Pxia Säsngap on October 23, 2011, 03:35:04 PM
last story i wrote started with "Everything was a bit different from usual that evening"   i guess it's another genre but i think it's also a good hook, isn't it? ;D

Sounds intriguing indeed. That is what makes a good story, I once read. The first sentence has to draw the reader's attention,  s/he has to want to know what is going on. Only a week and a day more until nanotime...
Krr a lì'fya lam sraw, may' frivìp utralit.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Plumps

Same problem as always... I have no idea how to start :'(
I think the fact that I've been trying to write on my idea – on and off – for the past 11 years doesn't help the situation very much...
... and I'm developing a cold. All things that don't help very much :-\

Puvomun

Quote from: Plumps on October 27, 2011, 05:53:43 AM
Same problem as always... I have no idea how to start :'(
I think the fact that I've been trying to write on my idea – on and off – for the past 11 years doesn't help the situation very much...
... and I'm developing a cold. All things that don't help very much :-\

When I saw this, I had an idea. As always. Do you have a bit of a view on how your idea in the story will go? For instance, suppose you are in it for a while, do you know of a situation that should arise, the people who are in it and what they should do, where they should be, what they want to achieve?

(If not, can you think one up?)

You do not have to start writing your story at the beginning. Jump over that difficult part, start writing from where it should already be flowing, and go on from there. Oel omum futa this is a strange way of doing it, but it has already helped several people I know.
Important thing is to get going, shape the situation, build the environment. And if all goes as planned, you may get an idea on how to build backwards towards the start.

3. The girl looked around and did not know how to get out of the forest.
4. A car approached and stopped. The driver found her.
5. In the hospital she discovered she had lost her purse.
2. The girl was happy with the purse she got from grandma and hurried home, taking a shortcut through the forest.
6. The driver went to look for her purse and found it in the bushes.
1. A girl got a call from grandma, who asked if she could come see her.
7. The girl and her purse lived happily ever after.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Plumps

That's an interesting approach and come to think of it now that you mention it, I read about this approach somewhere before.

Yes, I know where to go, I know what happens and who's involved. I'll take your advice and will start with a passage that has the most flow-y feeling about it. Thanks for the tip :D ma 'eylan pamrelä

Puvomun

Okay people... writing buddies are now active on Nanowrimo.org. It looks as if the existing writing buddies are not there (yet?), so if you want to add me again, I am paganpaul there

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Plumps

Thought so too but now it seems they are all back again :) thanks be the gods ... I couldn't find anybody.

Puvomun

Quote from: Plumps on October 30, 2011, 07:42:52 AM
Thought so too but now it seems they are all back again :) thanks be the gods ... I couldn't find anybody.
Hooray!!

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Puvomun

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Ekirä

And I *still* don't have an idea yet! Oh well, I've got the rest of the day to think of something... ::)

Procrastination ftw/ftl. :P

eejmensenikbenhet

Time to write, working title? "The girl of the rapiers." (Hmm :-\ in Dutch it sounds much better...: "Het meisje van de degens.")
How's it going? I still have to start but I've got to finish my homework first.

Puvomun

My working title: Green Haven
Started at 5:10 this morning and so far accumulated 3570 words.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Plumps

Quote from: Puvomun on November 01, 2011, 09:01:26 AM
... and so far accumulated 3570 words.

This is not meant as a zoplo when I say ... this is madness ... keye'ung! ;D
Nga tsulfätu pamrelä lu nìngay ;)
How do you do it? ??? With work, wanting to finish my short story and fighting off a cold I'm still to begin... But I'm getting there :P

Puvomun

Quote from: Plumps on November 01, 2011, 12:51:29 PM

This is not meant as a zoplo when I say ... this is madness ... keye'ung! ;D
Nga tsulfätu pamrelä lu nìngay ;)
How do you do it? ??? With work, wanting to finish my short story and fighting off a cold I'm still to begin... But I'm getting there :P

HRH! I did 900 words before I left for work. I have the writing software open while I'm at the office, and for my work I often have to wait a few minutes so then I write a paragraph, instead of just sit and wait. And in my lunch break I added a bunch more.

When I got home I wrote a bit more, just now I did a first Na'vi lesson with student #2 and I am now going to add a few more words. Word count at this moment, as reported by Writer's Café: 4288...

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Pxia Säsngap

I can finally start as well ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D  Was at work until now...
My working title is still "VIP". :) Luckily I don't need to translate it, so that it'd sound not as good as in my language ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D
Eywa ayngahu
Ma oeyä eylan aynga oeru yawne lu <3 ;D :D ;D

Plumps

I know... Was fairly late at home as well, ma Stachel ;)
My working title is still Gedanken ... simply Thoughts :) ... nearly 2h of writing, word count updated and off we go  8) I don't want to jinx it :-X but that wasn't so bad for a start :P

archaic

Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Pxia Säsngap

Quote from: archaic on November 01, 2011, 05:55:50 PM
Have fun you all!

aren't you participating? or did i misunderstand it? ;D :D ;D

Quote from: Plumps on November 01, 2011, 03:57:11 PM
I know... Was fairly late at home as well, ma Stachel ;)
My working title is still Gedanken ... simply Thoughts :) ... nearly 2h of writing, word count updated and off we go  8) I don't want to jinx it :-X but that wasn't so bad for a start :P

a good start indeed, not as perfect as puvomum's but i guess nobody but puvomum managed writing as much as he did ;D :D ;D :D ;D
Eywa ayngahu
Ma oeyä eylan aynga oeru yawne lu <3 ;D :D ;D

Ekirä

Indeed, 5000, wou! :o Puvomun, you'll be finished before anyone else. :P

Managed 3000 today, went better than I expected. :D

Puvomun

Quote from: Ekirä on November 01, 2011, 08:34:25 PM

3000 is very good for 1 day!!

And I finish at the end of the month. *grin* (If the story agrees that it is over, of course.)

Ngopyu ayvurä.

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Ekirä on November 01, 2011, 08:34:25 PM

Etripa syayvi, ma Ekirä :D

* Cheers on Ekirä

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!