Na'vi Novel Writing Month...

Started by Amaya, September 19, 2010, 03:22:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puvomun

Quote from: archaic on November 10, 2010, 11:21:45 PM
I have nightmares about stuff like NaNo, so I hope you'll forgive me if I just go hide behind the couch and whimper. :-[ :'( :-[
Come on, ma 'eylan. Come from behind the couch and treat us to more of your writing! I like what you do :D
Krr a lì'fya lam sraw, may' frivìp utralit.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

archaic

Scene 28 and 29 are finished and posted.
Just the epilogue to go.
:D  8)
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Amaya

Woot!  Done, and done!

>.> of course it's not in any kind of readable format, but then, December is for editing, as they say!

Ekirä

Quote from: Amaya on November 30, 2010, 08:11:08 PM
Woot!  Done, and done!

>.> of course it's not in any kind of readable format, but then, December is for editing, as they say!

Wouuuu that was some last minute writing you did there. XD

Amaya

LOL well, I also hadn't updated in a while, but still, I did like 25k in the last two days....gonna pass out now....

>.> Seriously.  If I just made myself do it and planned enough beforehand, I could very easily complete a NaNo with 48 hours of concerted, constant writing, I just...am a bit of a procrastinator LOL 8)

Puvomun

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Txur’Itan

OMG!

vidvamp01 - 62294

That was tough...

Draft completed - Submitted - I am winner - I feel the whole thing needs much more work.
私は太った男だ。

Ekirä

Quote from: Txur'Itan on December 01, 2010, 12:01:15 AM
OMG!

vidvamp01 - 62294

That was tough...

Draft completed - Submitted - I am winner - I feel the whole thing needs much more work.

Congrats!!! ;D You really went above the word count, too.

And same, I feel like mine needs SO much work. :P

Txur’Itan

Quote from: Ekirä on December 01, 2010, 12:21:24 AM
OMG!

vidvamp01 - 62294

That was tough...

I got to a point where I stopped updating, and just wrote, nonstop.  But I think continuity is probably going to weave another 60,000 words to fully complete this particular story to my satisfaction.
私は太った男だ。

Amaya

Quote from: Txur'Itan on December 01, 2010, 01:47:41 AM
OMG!

vidvamp01 - 62294

That was tough...

I got to a point where I stopped updating, and just wrote, nonstop.  But I think continuity is probably going to weave another 60,000 words to fully complete this particular story to my satisfaction.

This is often the case with me as well, but then, the stories I write are typically MUCH longer than 50k words.  My ongoing fanfic, for example, is presently sitting at about 213k words with about 10-12 chapters and probably another 100k+ words to go, so...

Ekirä

Quote from: Txur'Itan on December 01, 2010, 01:47:41 AM
OMG!

vidvamp01 - 62294

That was tough...

Yeah, I finished mine through Write or Die. Had 2000 words to go, so I set my goal and wrote constantly...best way to finish it. :D

Amaya

OME sometimes Write or Die is the only way I make any progress at all, NaNo or regular writing.  I seriously love it, because I can have a tendency to let myself get distracted and/or get a bit "well, I have an idea, so why do I have to bother writing it out" once I start on a scene.  I get...moods, I guess you could say.  So sitting down with WoD (I have the desktop version that has an option for Fullscreen Always On Top which doesn't allow me to do ANYTHING once I've got it running, not even reply to people when they IM me) is one of my ways of breaking through the stupid in my own head.

I love that desktop version, simply love it.  Best $10 I ever spent.  Seriously.

Ekirä

Quote from: Amaya on December 01, 2010, 09:57:55 AM
OME sometimes Write or Die is the only way I make any progress at all, NaNo or regular writing.  I seriously love it, because I can have a tendency to let myself get distracted and/or get a bit "well, I have an idea, so why do I have to bother writing it out" once I start on a scene.  I get...moods, I guess you could say.  So sitting down with WoD (I have the desktop version that has an option for Fullscreen Always On Top which doesn't allow me to do ANYTHING once I've got it running, not even reply to people when they IM me) is one of my ways of breaking through the stupid in my own head.

I love that desktop version, simply love it.  Best $10 I ever spent.  Seriously.

I refused to use it until I was just SO done with NaNo and wanted it over. But I only used the strict version...not kamikaze. ;)

Puvomun

I heard more people using write or die. Sounds like an interesting program. What does it do, format your machine when you don't hit your target?

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Ekirä

Quote from: Puvomun on December 01, 2010, 10:20:54 AM
I heard more people using write or die. Sounds like an interesting program. What does it do, format your machine when you don't hit your target?

Well, for the "strict" version (which is what I do) you just set a word goal and a time limit and write. If you stop writing, it beeps and the screen flashes red at you until you start writing again.

But kamikaze is worse. If you write too slow....it starts removing your words. :o

Amaya

actually it doesn't just "beep", strict mode makes the screen go red and then make an annoying sound at random.  Sometimes it's bad violins (oh gods when it's this one it's extra motivation for me since I've played since I was 3) sometimes it's "banana-phone" or traffic noise, or babies crying...sometimes it even Rickrolls you!

The program lets you set a goal, either words or time, and if you stop typing within that time (it has three speeds for you to pause briefly without jumping on you) it "reminds" you that you need to get back to work.  It will let you pause if you have to take care of some necessity, but only once per session, so you have to really need to pause (ie: you're going to wet yourself or an important package is at the door or the dog just came in covered in blood) because once you start up again, you can't pause again until you're done.  It's a very strong motivator, definitely!

Puvomun

Quote from: Amaya on December 01, 2010, 10:35:13 AM
It's a very strong motivator, definitely!
Uhhuh. That is one way to call it something...

Charming... ;)

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Ekirä

Quote from: Amaya on December 01, 2010, 10:35:13 AM
actually it doesn't just "beep", strict mode makes the screen go red and then make an annoying sound at random.  Sometimes it's bad violins (oh gods when it's this one it's extra motivation for me since I've played since I was 3) sometimes it's "banana-phone" or traffic noise, or babies crying...sometimes it even Rickrolls you!

HRH really? I never let it get that far, but my sister told me it beeped. :D A couple times it flashed red but didn't make any noise....

Le'eylan

I hate myself for not finding this last month and not the day before yesterday >____<
But I'm still going to try in December ::)
Krro krro pamrel seri fìtsengmì, alu oey pìlok leNa'vi
Sometimes writing here, on my Na'vi blog
=^● ⋏ ●^=

Puvomun

Quote from: Le'eylan on December 01, 2010, 11:33:57 AM
I hate myself for not finding this last month and not the day before yesterday >____<
But I'm still going to try in December ::)
Go Go Go!!

Ngopyu ayvurä.