Sky People - comments and questions

Started by Puvomun, November 20, 2010, 04:01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puvomun

And so it happens that a comment thread is born before the actual story thread!  :D

Srane, I started a new story, and in this I want to be more careful using Na'vi, as it is a way for me to learn. So I wonder if this next snip is correct...
Quote"Ayoeng tsiye'a aynantangit srak? Are we going to see nantangs?"
The only bit I looked up was the -it suffix (Navi Nutshell, 4.1).

I hope I can post the first chapter of "Sky People" tomorrow, which is a follow-up to "After the RDA".
Krr a lì'fya lam sraw, may' frivìp utralit.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Muzer

Almost correct:

Ayoengìl tsìye'a aynantangit srak?

You got the ending on aynantang correct, but you missed off the ending on "ayoeng": -ìl (or -l) (the ergative or agentive ending, depending on which terminology you use), which must be used on the subject of sentences that have an object with the "-it" (or -ti or -t) ending (even if that object is implied). I'm assuming you were at least aware of this beforehand but had just forgotten (easy mistake to make, I've done it too many times) - it's the same as the -l on oel in "Oel ngati kameie", a.

You also forgot the accent on the ìy infix.
[21:42:56] <@Muzer> Apple products used to be good, if expensive
[21:42:59] <@Muzer> now they are just expensive

Puvomun

Quote from: Muzer on November 20, 2010, 04:30:00 PM
I'm assuming you were at least aware of this beforehand but had just forgotten (easy mistake to make, I've done it too many times) - it's the same as the -l on oel in "Oel ngati kameie"
Let me put it this way: when I saw your explanation, I thought: "Ohhhh! That is where the 'l' comes from!" I had no idea!

Thank you. :)

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Nusumea Tirea

And he story continues... Irayo ma tsmukan.

For verbs who need two sides like I see you -> Oe-l kame nga-ti or I see Thanator -> Oe-l tse'a palulukan-it
(just sort the words to your likeing). In the dictionary they are marked with vtr. for transitive verb. Those who don't need that are marked vin for intransitive verbs (e.g. tul->run = Oe tul).
(who or what does something)= ending with -l / -ìl (depends on last letter)
(who or what is the recipient of the action) = ending with -t(i) / -it (again depending on last letter)

Muzer

Yeah, pretty much - it is a bit more complicated if you want to use a transitive verb (marked vtr) intransitively (that is, with only a subject but no object) - basically you need to decide whether there is actually an object but just implied (in which case you use -l), or actually no object at all (in which case you use no ending). I believe that's the current consensus, though I'm not sure if we know for sure yet.

Anyway, it looks like it's going to be interesting! Now, where's Amaya... I'm starting to crave more of Brotherhood ;)

Hufwe Atxur

Good story, irayo! I think I've to read your other story in order to understand all persons. Will keep up reading your story, and hope that there'll be soon more ;)
old gallery link?id=1630.jpg[/img]
NEW version of Seed of Language released! Click on the banner to find out more!

Nusumea Tirea

Nice chapter 2. You REALLY like cliffhangers, don't you  ;)

Muzer

Puvomun

I am truly sorry people. But at that point I was still wondering myself what the heck they were going to see!!
I am now trying to convince myself that this no longer a wonder. Just a miracle of sorts... ???

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Puvomun

If all goes well, the hanging on cliffs is no longer needed as chapter 3 should bring relief.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Lolet

It's like a mystery or something. Detective Puvomun.  ;)

Puvomun

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Puvomun

And so hapxì mrr hit the streets of San Pandora. (uhmmm....)

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Puvomun

Wondering...
If someone says "you are special" and the other wants to say "No. You are."
Would the response then be "Kehe. Nga lu."? It looks/feels as if something is missing there and I can't put a finger on what that would be...

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Muzer

Since as far as I can find there is no word in Na'vi for special, we can probably assume that it would be an adjective (so the original sentence would have been "Nga lu [special]" - in which case "Kehe. Nga lu." would be fine.

Puvomun

Thank you, ma Muzer! You are a treasure trove!!

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Muzer

Sorry, my DESC tag failed there, and some of it spilled out into its own sentence so I might have caused a bit of confusion - should be fixed now.

Hufwe Atxur

Sìltsan ma 'eylan, the story is very well written and interesting!
old gallery link?id=1630.jpg[/img]
NEW version of Seed of Language released! Click on the banner to find out more!

Puvomun

Quote from: Hufwe Atxur on November 27, 2010, 10:58:05 AM
Sìltsan ma 'eylan, the story is very well written and interesting!
Irayo, ma 'eylan. Your words honour me. Ngayä aylì'u oeru meuia.

Ngopyu ayvurä.