Folding@home catchall

Started by bommel, December 28, 2010, 07:19:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eywa'eveng-tìranyu

I've asked Eanikran for a banner, here it is:

old gallery link?id=2029[/img]
[url=http://forum.learnnavi.org/projects/learnnavi-org-foldinghome-team]old gallery link?id=2029[/img][/url]

Eywa'eveng-tìranyu

I've installed a second OS (Ubuntu) now, but I can't find the Linux GPU-client anywhere.
Do I have to use Wine to run it or is there another way?

bommel

Quote from: Eywa'eveng-tìranyu on February 16, 2011, 10:21:47 AM
I've installed a second OS (Ubuntu) now, but I can't find the Linux GPU-client anywhere.
Do I have to use Wine to run it or is there another way?
AFAIK there is actually no GPU client for Linux. All guides I've found so far have used Wine to emulate a Windows environment :(

Txantslusam Skxawng

Quote from: bommel on February 15, 2011, 10:32:13 AM
Quote from: Eywa'eveng-tìranyu on February 15, 2011, 10:20:12 AM
btw, Rank 1 is the summary of all the WUs without team connection.
yes, but I doubt that we would get that far anyway. I was folding for a team that is currently ranked 18th before and they make several million points a day. Except we don't rent a whole data center I don't see any way to achieve this :P
But we do it for fun  ;)

Edit: Somehow.....
WirelessTsaheylu=Bluetooth
Inventor of the word NARF

bommel

Quote from: Txantslusam Skxawng on February 16, 2011, 10:53:57 AM
Quote from: bommel on February 15, 2011, 10:32:13 AM
Quote from: Eywa'eveng-tìranyu on February 15, 2011, 10:20:12 AM
btw, Rank 1 is the summary of all the WUs without team connection.
yes, but I doubt that we would get that far anyway. I was folding for a team that is currently ranked 18th before and they make several million points a day. Except we don't rent a whole data center I don't see any way to achieve this :P
But we do it for fun  ;)

Edit: Somehow.....
and I'm quite impressed by our progress! We're among the 2900 best teams!

bommel

Hmm... somehow the stats db seems to be broken as they are running an update for several hours now :(
(last report generated 19:43:58 February 16, 2011) WTF?!?

bommel

Okay, stats server seems to be back online and it seems that we don't have lost any points
yay :)

Eana Tanhì

Dreams die first because people give them up so easily...

bommel

A little update:

WUs completed: 1186
Team ranking: 2674 of 195418

The official F@H stats site has a Facebook "Like" button now (link: see first post of this thread)!

Swoka Ikran

Just discovered my server's been down for the past 6 days...father unplugged it because one of the fans is starting to get noisy. :P Answers the question of why I felt like I was producing less than normal...

Just started it back up earlier, so hopefully I'll start producing an extra unit or so a day.
2010 was the year of the Na'vi.Vivar 'ivong Na'vi!

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

bommel

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on February 22, 2011, 08:55:03 PM
Just discovered my server's been down for the past 6 days...father unplugged it because one of the fans is starting to get noisy. :P Answers the question of why I felt like I was producing less than normal...

Just started it back up earlier, so hopefully I'll start producing an extra unit or so a day.
hmm... eanayo's machines seem to be down too
On monday I lost a WU at 100%. It was folding for over 3 days on this particular WU, really annoying >:(

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: bommel on February 23, 2011, 04:25:14 PM
Quote from: Swoka Ikran on February 22, 2011, 08:55:03 PM

hmm... eanayo's machines seem to be down too
On monday I lost a WU at 100%. It was folding for over 3 days on this particular WU, really annoying >:(
I lost a GPU unit a while back. It was almost finished, then windows decided it was time to reboot for updates. :P The client choked on reboot, and deleted the WU. :( My GPU units take 2 days each too...my card sucks.

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

guest2859

My folding has come to a halt, had to put my Windows 7 computer in place of my mom's due to video card issues, and this one has too much memory being used as it is.

bommel

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on February 23, 2011, 04:55:23 PM
I lost a GPU unit a while back. It was almost finished, then windows decided it was time to reboot for updates. :P The client choked on reboot, and deleted the WU. :( My GPU units take 2 days each too...my card sucks.
today I've lost another 3.5 days WU (FILE_IO_ERROR) :(

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: bommel on February 24, 2011, 08:29:33 AM
Quote from: Swoka Ikran on February 23, 2011, 04:55:23 PM
today I've lost another 3.5 days WU (FILE_IO_ERROR) :(
Ouch. Maybe try setting it for smaller units and see how they go?

Also, when you say 3.5 day WU, are you talking about the 2 million step SMP units?

bommel

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on February 24, 2011, 02:23:58 PM

Also, when you say 3.5 day WU, are you talking about the 2 million step SMP units?
The system I'm folding on completes a normal pseudo-big SMP WU in 5 hours or less. But it's a waste of ressources because it could easily fold with the -bigadv setting. Then you will receive very large WUs (you will need at least 8 CPU cores to get one assigned and 6 GB of RAM are recommended) which have a very short deadline (4-6 days?) but you will earn enormous amount of points (I had up to 80k on a different machine in less than 3 days). I completed one on the current machine (was around 60k) before but I don't know why it isn't working anymore. I have completed two normal SMP WUs today and they were good, now I hope the bigadv WU will work too. At least I'm giving the machine another try ;)

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: bommel on February 24, 2011, 03:52:01 PM
Quote from: Swoka Ikran on February 24, 2011, 02:23:58 PM

The system I'm folding on completes a normal pseudo-big SMP WU in 5 hours or less. But it's a waste of ressources because it could easily fold with the -bigadv setting. Then you will receive very large WUs (you will need at least 8 CPU cores to get one assigned and 6 GB of RAM are recommended) which have a very short deadline (4-6 days?) but you will earn enormous amount of points (I had up to 80k on a different machine in less than 3 days). I completed one on the current machine (was around 60k) before but I don't know why it isn't working anymore. I have completed two normal SMP WUs today and they were good, now I hope the bigadv WU will work too. At least I'm giving the machine another try ;)
That must be one heck of a system. I can't do -bigadv because the best system I have is an AMD quad with 3GB RAM and a 32-bit OS (WinXP SP3). It does a 2 million step WU in just over 48 hours. GPU unit output is about 1 unit every 24h if I let it run continuously.

I was looking into a 6-core when I built this system, but they were ridiculously expensive at the time, and I had no use for it. I passed on more RAM because I wanted a 32-bit OS for compatibility reasons (several programs I use don't work on 64-bit OSes.)

Hope your new WU goes well. :)

bommel

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on February 24, 2011, 06:08:47 PM
That must be one heck of a system. I can't do -bigadv because the best system I have is an AMD quad with 3GB RAM and a 32-bit OS (WinXP SP3). It does a 2 million step WU in just over 48 hours. GPU unit output is about 1 unit every 24h if I let it run continuously.
Yeah, the power of dual Xeons ;)
The 80k machine was a dual Nehalem quadcore Xeon @ 2.93 GHz, 8 physical + 8 logical CPUs via Hyper threading. But I do not have access to it anymore :(

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on February 24, 2011, 06:08:47 PM
Hope your new WU goes well. :)
2+ days remaining in order to find it out...

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: bommel on February 24, 2011, 11:47:03 PM
The 80k machine was a dual Nehalem quadcore Xeon @ 2.93 GHz, 8 physical + 8 logical CPUs via Hyper threading. But I do not have access to it anymore :(
Nice. Sad you don't have access to it anymore :( What was the system being used for?

Quote from: bommel on February 24, 2011, 11:47:03 PM
2+ days remaining in order to find it out...
Let's hope it succeeds :). A lost unit would be another major waste of computing time :o

bommel

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on February 25, 2011, 01:06:51 PM
Nice. Sad you don't have access to it anymore :( What was the system being used for?
It was part of a high performance cluster I have access to. But it was the only one I could use for folding because it had not much load.

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on February 25, 2011, 01:06:51 PM
Let's hope it succeeds :). A lost unit would be another major waste of computing time :o
Yeah. If not maybe I should consider buying my own high performance system - but they are freaking expensive :(