Folding@home catchall

Started by bommel, December 28, 2010, 07:19:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: bommel on February 25, 2011, 01:51:59 PM
Quote from: Swoka Ikran on February 25, 2011, 01:06:51 PM
Nice. Sad you don't have access to it anymore :( What was the system being used for?
It was part of a high performance cluster I have access to. But it was the only one I could use for folding because it had not much load.
That explains it. :)

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on February 25, 2011, 01:06:51 PM
Let's hope it succeeds :). A lost unit would be another major waste of computing time :o
Yeah. If not maybe I should consider buying my own high performance system - but they are freaking expensive :(
[/quote]
Yeah they are. Price is ridiculous on some of them.
2010 was the year of the Na'vi.Vivar 'ivong Na'vi!

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

bommel

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on February 25, 2011, 02:12:29 PM
yap, won't be cheap and just for folding I won't pay 3000+ €

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: bommel on February 25, 2011, 04:06:04 PM
Quote from: Swoka Ikran on February 25, 2011, 02:12:29 PM
yap, won't be cheap and just for folding I won't pay 3000+ €
Neither would I.

In USD, that's at least $4122.60. Just a bit pricey. My quad core was $561 (as parts, a comparable off-the-shelf unit was ~$1400)...a budget system when compared to a high-performance unit.

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

bommel

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on February 25, 2011, 07:36:22 PM
In USD, that's at least $4122.60. Just a bit pricey. My quad core was $561 (as parts, a comparable off-the-shelf unit was ~$1400)...a budget system when compared to a high-performance unit.
yeah, those units are for business use and companies can pay for it ^^
Sometimes you can find a good offer at ebay...

However, I noticed that the bigadv WUs consume quite a lot of disk space and I have a quota limit on my network profile. Maybe while finishing the WU it exceeded the quota and therefore stopped working. I'm using now the local disk again and I really hope this will fix the issue...

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: bommel on February 26, 2011, 06:50:38 AM
Quote from: Swoka Ikran on February 25, 2011, 07:36:22 PM
yeah, those units are for business use and companies can pay for it ^^
Sometimes you can find a good offer at ebay...
eBay has everything. :D :D Odds are if you want something, you can buy it there. Whether the price is a good deal is another story.

Quote from: bommel on February 26, 2011, 06:50:38 AM
However, I noticed that the bigadv WUs consume quite a lot of disk space and I have a quota limit on my network profile. Maybe while finishing the WU it exceeded the quota and therefore stopped working. I'm using now the local disk again and I really hope this will fix the issue...
It wouldn't surprise me if this was the issue. It certainly won't work if it hits the quota (effectively running out of disk space...), or if the network went down.

bommel

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on February 26, 2011, 10:42:00 AM
It wouldn't surprise me if this was the issue. It certainly won't work if it hits the quota (effectively running out of disk space...), or if the network went down.
Just a few hours to go and I will know it *scared*

bommel

It worked - at least I hope it wasn't by accident ;)
Will give it another try tomorrow! We're now ranked 2450 of 195686 :)

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: bommel on February 27, 2011, 01:03:22 PM
It worked - at least I hope it wasn't by accident ;)
Will give it another try tomorrow! We're now ranked 2450 of 195686 :)
Good to hear it worked for you :)

Now we'll have to see how tomorrow's WU goes. :-\

Ikran Ahiyìk

It seems my points/WU is higher then before..

and will the GPU .. die or whatever if I fold for too long?
Plltxe nìhiyìk na ikran... oe fmeri sìltsan nì'ul slivu, ngaytxoa...

See the new version with fingerings!

bommel

Quote from: Ikran Ahiyìk on February 28, 2011, 03:32:32 AM
You will get more points if you complete at least 10 WUs with a certain client and a passkey.

If your card's cooling solution works and your overall cooling works too, there is no need to worry.

akiwiguy

Quote from: bommel on February 28, 2011, 12:40:01 PM
Quote from: Ikran Ahiyìk on February 28, 2011, 03:32:32 AM
You will get more points if you complete at least 10 WUs with a certain client and a passkey.

If your card's cooling solution works and your overall cooling works too, there is no need to worry.

My card's cooling worked and the overall cooling in my PC worked fine, but my card died. There was some issue with the NVidia GeForce 8xxx series apparently, where the solder is dry-jointed, or something. That's what I read on the internet. So, not Folding@Home's fault, but NVidia's.

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Eltu lefngap 'eveng on February 28, 2011, 01:26:53 PM
My card's cooling worked and the overall cooling in my PC worked fine, but my card died. There was some issue with the NVidia GeForce 8xxx series apparently, where the solder is dry-jointed, or something. That's what I read on the internet. So, not Folding@Home's fault, but NVidia's.
Not encouraging...I'm running a GeForce 8300. Do motherboard integrated units have this issue?

As for cooling video cards, I got...creative...in tech school once. Someone gave us a decent ATI card that was missing it's heat sink and fan. I attached a spare CPU heat sink with thermal paste, a small C-clamp, and a piece of rubber :P It was extremely bulky, and blocked a bunch of PCI slots, but the card worked. :)

akiwiguy

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on February 28, 2011, 01:44:15 PM
Quote from: Eltu lefngap 'eveng on February 28, 2011, 01:26:53 PM
Not encouraging...I'm running a GeForce 8300. Do motherboard integrated units have this issue?
I don't think they do, because they are built into the northbridge (i think).
As for cooling video cards, I got...creative...in tech school once. Someone gave us a decent ATI card that was missing it's heat sink and fan. I attached a spare CPU heat sink with thermal paste, a small C-clamp, and a piece of rubber :P It was extremely bulky, and blocked a bunch of PCI slots, but the card worked. :)
Nice. :)
I took the heatsink off my old card, so if I ever get a card like that, just stick that heatsink and a fan on it. It'll probably block 1 PCI slot (because of the fan) but at least it doesn't block _all_ of them :P

Ikran Ahiyìk

One computer shut every night for ~7 hours and the other one with longer time every ~4 days. OK if the cooling is not too bad or good? I don't know how good/bad mine is..

I hope it won't die otherwise I'll be in trouble..

Puvomun

Quote from: Ikran Ahiyìk on March 01, 2011, 04:50:34 AM
One computer shut every night for ~7 hours and the other one with longer time every ~4 days. OK if the cooling is not too bad or good? I don't know how good/bad mine is..

I hope it won't die otherwise I'll be in trouble..
Do you mean that you shut down the computers by hand then?
If you have a decent machine, you should be fine. My computer is never switched off, unless it needs maintenance. It's up for over 122 days now:

paul@Kelutral:~$ uptime
11:59:32 up 122 days, 39 min,  4 users,  load average: 3.24, 3.15, 3.18
Krr a lì'fya lam sraw, may' frivìp utralit.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Ikran Ahiyìk

By hand..

I can't sleep with a running computer..

Hope it will be fine :)

Hard to imagine running for 1/3 years..

Puvomun

Quote from: Ikran Ahiyìk on March 01, 2011, 10:58:53 AM

It will be fine. Before this, my machine ran for about 9 months. Then it was time to do a severe upgrade of Linux, and for that my computer will have to reboot.

But my machine is in the living room. I don't sleep there hahaha!

Ngopyu ayvurä.

bommel

Quote from: Puvomun on March 01, 2011, 11:11:08 AM
Quote from: Ikran Ahiyìk on March 01, 2011, 10:58:53 AM

It will be fine. Before this, my machine ran for about 9 months. Then it was time to do a severe upgrade of Linux, and for that my computer will have to reboot.

But my machine is in the living room. I don't sleep there hahaha!
one if my servers reaches about 60dbA under full load. You can hear it through the closed door XD

Puvomun

Quote from: bommel on March 01, 2011, 12:56:03 PM
one if my servers reaches about 60dbA under full load. You can hear it through the closed door XD
Wiya!!!

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Puvomun on March 01, 2011, 05:01:05 AM
paul@Kelutral:~$ uptime
11:59:32 up 122 days, 39 min,  4 users,  load average: 3.24, 3.15, 3.18

Dang. Most I've ever gotten out of my (Windows-based) system is just over 41 days. That run ended when Windows decided 3am on a Saturday was a great time to install the updates I'd been ignoring :P

As for shutting it down, I never do. Runs 24/7, and it's in my bedroom.