Folding@home catchall

Started by bommel, December 28, 2010, 07:19:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akiwiguy

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on March 01, 2011, 01:20:05 PM
Quote from: Puvomun on March 01, 2011, 05:01:05 AM
paul@Kelutral:~$ uptime
11:59:32 up 122 days, 39 min,  4 users,  load average: 3.24, 3.15, 3.18

Dang. Most I've ever gotten out of my (Windows-based) system is just over 41 days. That run ended when Windows decided 3am on a Saturday was a great time to install the updates I'd been ignoring :P

As for shutting it down, I never do. Runs 24/7, and it's in my bedroom.

My desktop is up as much as possible, although with my Dad turning it of at the wall for some reason, it only stays up for a few hours at a time...

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Eltu lefngap 'eveng on March 01, 2011, 01:28:15 PM
My desktop is up as much as possible, although with my Dad turning it of at the wall for some reason, it only stays up for a few hours at a time...
Ouch. Can't be good for the OS...especially when done frequently.

Why not see about plugging it into an outlet that's not switched?
2010 was the year of the Na'vi.Vivar 'ivong Na'vi!

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

bommel

akiwiguy

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on March 01, 2011, 01:36:06 PM
Quote from: Eltu lefngap 'eveng on March 01, 2011, 01:28:15 PM
Ouch. Can't be good for the OS...especially when done frequently.

Why not see about plugging it into an outlet that's not switched?
There are none that aren't switched, plus if there was an outlet that wasn't switched, he would just pull out the plug...
He's mean like that.
I've had many corruped filesystems from him doing this. Need to set up a cron job to compress my home directory to a mounted network share.

Palulukanä Tarontu

I think I will join your team. There are currently 2 or 3 PCs (one of them is a slow server which is currently underworked). Could the GPU work for it too?
old gallery link?id=1817[/img]

"When people are sitting on s*** you want, you make them your enemy. Then you're justified in taking it."
- Jake Sully
[email protected]

bommel

Quote from: Palulukanä Tarontu on March 02, 2011, 05:11:46 AM
I think I will join your team. There are currently 2 or 3 PCs (one of them is a slow server which is currently underworked). Could the GPU work for it too?
Nice! In order to use your GPU it must support GPU Computing (OpenCL/CUDA). Your card will support it if it is at least a Geforce 8xxx or ATI/AMD Radeon HD2xxx

Swoka Ikran

Ugh...just discovered my quad-core has been idle since 6am because the wireless network connection dropped. >:(

Quote from: Eltu lefngap 'eveng on March 01, 2011, 05:55:36 PM
I've had many corruped filesystems from him doing this. Need to set up a cron job to compress my home directory to a mounted network share.
I can imagine. Backing up to network is certainly not a bad idea...

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

Palulukanä Tarontu

Before I went to work today I installed the program, put in the team number and started the working process. It seems that it was working (CPU = 100%), but I can't find me on the team list nor at a single user. Did I something wrong or will I appear with completing a working unit?
Currently, there are 17 members, is this correct? There is also a field named Passkey. Should this be empty?

I'm sorry for a lot of questions :(

"When people are sitting on s*** you want, you make them your enemy. Then you're justified in taking it."
- Jake Sully
[email protected]

akiwiguy

Quote from: Palulukanä Tarontu on March 02, 2011, 04:23:41 PM
Before I went to work today I installed the program, put in the team number and started the working process. It seems that it was working (CPU = 100%), but I can't find me on the team list nor at a single user. Did I something wrong or will I appear with completing a working unit?

It will appear when you complete a workunit.

Currently, there are 17 members, is this correct?
Yep.
There is also a field named Passkey. Should this be empty?
Yes.
I'm sorry for a lot of questions :(

Questions are good, we don't mind how much you ask.

bommel

The passkey is required by some clients to get points (better: to get the full amount of points). Please have a look at this FAQ here: http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-passkey

I really recommend using a passkey because I can't tell you exactly which clients actually need a passkey (I know the SMP client does). Just to be on the safe side ;)

bommel

We're getting closer to the 2000: team ranking 2298 of 195893 :)

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: bommel on March 03, 2011, 05:02:46 PM
We're getting closer to the 2000: team ranking 2298 of 195893 :)
...and we've gained 6 more spots since your post :)

Finished another WU about 5 hours ago on my SMP client. GPU cashed in at 6am, and my server and dual-core were due up at some point today as well.

bommel

By the way, the bigadv WUs seem to work now. I really suspect the quota limit on the network drive.

Palulukanä Tarontu

After one day at a working process, my most powerful pc crashes and since then my gpu client wont work anymore. I just get this message:
Quote[11:02:10] + Attempting to get work packet
[11:02:10] - Connecting to assignment server
[11:02:11] + No appropriate work server was available; will try again in a bit.
[11:02:11] + Couldn't get work instructions.
[11:02:11] - Attempt #6  to get work failed, and no other work to do.
Waiting before retry.
Whats wrong here?

- Jake Sully
[email protected]

Puvomun

Quote from: Palulukanä Tarontu on March 04, 2011, 05:04:58 AM
After one day at a working process, my most powerful pc crashes and since then my gpu client wont work anymore. I just get this message:
Waiting before retry.
Whats wrong here?
I would say that the server farm is not accessible. Either they are all busy, or something is wrong / down for maintenance?
Krr a lì'fya lam sraw, may' frivìp utralit.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

bommel

Quote from: Puvomun on March 04, 2011, 05:15:28 AM
Quote from: Palulukanä Tarontu on March 04, 2011, 05:04:58 AM
Waiting before retry.
Whats wrong here?
I would say that the server farm is not accessible. Either they are all busy, or something is wrong / down for maintenance?
yes. I had similar issues a few times ago too. You can't do anything because the assignment servers are either down or busy (which is actually the same). All you can do is wait...

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: bommel on March 04, 2011, 02:31:12 AM
By the way, the bigadv WUs seem to work now. I really suspect the quota limit on the network drive.
Good to hear it seems to be working again :)

Palulukanä Tarontu

Quote from: bommel on March 04, 2011, 08:03:53 AM
Quote from: Puvomun on March 04, 2011, 05:15:28 AM
yes. I had similar issues a few times ago too. You can't do anything because the assignment servers are either down or busy (which is actually the same). All you can do is wait...
Okay, I already thought this, but this was after my pc crashed with a bluescreen. And now there are 2 units left and are working.

- Jake Sully
[email protected]

bommel

To all of you who are doing bigadv WUs: you will have to download the latest SMP client! They have a new bigadv core (A5) now! If you are still using the old one you won't get bigadv WUs anymore! Already wondered myself why my machine finishes a WU so quickly o0

Swoka Ikran

My GPU client is acting strangely >:(

It finished its WU overnight, and didn't download a new WU. Restarting the client hasn't helped.

The log shows "[16:37:23] Folding@home Core Shutdown: UNSTABLE_MACHINE" and a few lines below it "EUE limit exceeded. Pausing 24 hours." and (as one would imagine) it does absolutely nothing. Several other lines indicate it binned a few WUs as well :( The computer does not appear unstable.

Any ideas?