Folding@home catchall

Started by bommel, December 28, 2010, 07:19:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bommel

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on March 08, 2011, 10:46:34 AM
My GPU client is acting strangely >:(

It finished its WU overnight, and didn't download a new WU. Restarting the client hasn't helped.

The log shows "[16:37:23] Folding@home Core Shutdown: UNSTABLE_MACHINE" and a few lines below it "EUE limit exceeded. Pausing 24 hours." and (as one would imagine) it does absolutely nothing. Several other lines indicate it binned a few WUs as well :( The computer does not appear unstable.

Any ideas?
Hmm... that sounds strange, indeed ???
Are your GPU's temperatures ok? Driver issues? Maybe try downloading the latest client from the f@h page. Sorry I can't provide more help atm :(

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: bommel on March 08, 2011, 01:11:37 PM
Are your GPU's temperatures ok? Driver issues? Maybe try downloading the latest client from the f@h page. Sorry I can't provide more help atm :(
I'll have to reboot to check the temps. Only place I can check them is in the BIOS setup. (I've yet to find a Windows-based temp monitor that actually works on this MoBo). I'll update the client.

Drivers haven't changed since last summer when I updated them to fix something else.
2010 was the year of the Na'vi.Vivar 'ivong Na'vi!

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

bommel

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on March 08, 2011, 01:33:09 PM
Quote from: bommel on March 08, 2011, 01:11:37 PM
I'll have to reboot to check the temps. Only place I can check them is in the BIOS setup. (I've yet to find a Windows-based temp monitor that actually works on this MoBo). I'll update the client.
I meant the GPU temps, not sure if you can see those in the BIOS. Can't you see them in a driver menu?

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: bommel on March 08, 2011, 01:35:15 PM
I meant the GPU temps, not sure if you can see those in the BIOS. Can't you see them in a driver menu?
Just rebooted and checked. You can't.

BIOS hardware monitor said:
* CPU was 143F
* Chipset was 140F
* GPU wasn't listed.

NVIDIA control panel has no hardware monitor either. This is an MoBo integrated card (GeForce 8300), so I wonder if it even has a separate temp sensor...

Client's still acting up, so I'm gonna update it next.

EDIT: Just realized the client is horribly outdated :P Have 6.30, and 6.41 is out.

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

bommel

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on March 08, 2011, 01:51:27 PM
BIOS hardware monitor said:
* CPU was 143F
* Chipset was 140F
* GPU wasn't listed.

NVIDIA control panel has no hardware monitor either. This is an MoBo integrated card (GeForce 8300), so I wonder if it even has a separate temp sensor...

Client's still acting up, so I'm gonna update it next.
Hmm... temps don't look suspicious to me ???
If updating the client didn't work, maybe try a newer driver? As far as I remember you are running several clients simultaneously on the same machine, maybe some setting broke (especially the cpu affininty lock and priority settings could cause trouble then)...

Swoka Ikran

Client updated to 6.41, and I deleted the data directory in AppData. Still spewing UNSTABLE_MACHINE at me.

Worse, when it's making an attempt to run, the video is now flickering/artifacting. Google seems to indicate either a corrupt data folder (already cleared that), or a dying video card (not exactly what I want to fix...).

The SMP client was disabled while I was testing, and I redid the client settings.

I'll look into newer drivers again...newer ones from 1/18/2011 are available.

I may shut down tonight and just let it rest overnight to see if maybe it is a heat issue. The system's been running non-stop since the new year, with only a few reboots for updates and a BSOD.

bommel

Good luck! I really hope your GPU isn't dying :(

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: bommel on March 08, 2011, 02:24:02 PM
Good luck! I really hope your GPU isn't dying :(
Irayo.

About to log off for a few to go install the 84MB driver update I just downloaded. If it works as intended, it'll take 10 minutes. If it screws up like last summer's update, I'll be in safe mode manually removing it so the new one installs correctly.

bommel

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on March 08, 2011, 02:28:16 PM
About to log off for a few to go install the 84MB driver update I just downloaded. If it works as intended, it'll take 10 minutes. If it screws up like last summer's update, I'll be in safe mode manually removing it so the new one installs correctly.
Okay, hope it will work!

Swoka Ikran

Update installed fine. :) Bad news is the client is still acting up >:(

Guess I'm gonna have to give this system some rest tonight and see how it goes tomorrow...

bommel

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on March 08, 2011, 02:46:27 PM

Guess I'm gonna have to give this system some rest tonight and see how it goes tomorrow...
Yeah, if the server blocks your client for 24h you can't do anything about it anyway :(

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: bommel on March 08, 2011, 02:47:29 PM
Quote from: Swoka Ikran on March 08, 2011, 02:46:27 PM

Yeah, if the server blocks your client for 24h you can't do anything about it anyway :(
Just got to wait it out...

Well, irayo for the help :) I let you know how it goes. Hopefully I'll be able to get this thing working again.

bommel

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on March 08, 2011, 02:53:27 PM
Well, irayo for the help :) I let you know how it goes. Hopefully I'll be able to get this thing working again.
No problem. Hope it was just some temporary issue!

Sa'kul

Oh mann... jetzt hatte ich gerade das F@H mal ruhen gelassen... dann sehe ich diesen Thread :D Habe vorher für PCGH gefaltet...

Ich glaube, ich bastle ne Falt-Kiste zusammen und dann los... Wie wäre es denn mit einem zentralen Ort, wo man seine Kisten hinstellen kann und "Miete" bezahlt, wenn wir genug Leute zusammen bekommen?

Liebe Grüße: Sa'kul

bommel

Quote from: Sa'kul on March 08, 2011, 03:54:20 PM
Oh mann... jetzt hatte ich gerade das F@H mal ruhen gelassen... dann sehe ich diesen Thread :D Habe vorher für PCGH gefaltet...

Ich glaube, ich bastle ne Falt-Kiste zusammen und dann los... Wie wäre es denn mit einem zentralen Ort, wo man seine Kisten hinstellen kann und "Miete" bezahlt, wenn wir genug Leute zusammen bekommen?

Hey, hab früher auch für PCGH gefaltet :) Bis ich dann Anfang des Jahres beschlossen habe, nen LN.org f@h team wäre doch cool ^^

Ich hatte schonmal ne Anfrage gestellt, wollte einen ordentlichen Falt-Server zusammenbasteln, leider stieß das aber auf wenig Resonanz. Naja, hätte ja auch fast 3000€ gebraucht ::)
Ich war ja auch bereit für die Betriebskosten aufzukommen, da das Teil locker meine bestehenden Systeme ersetzt hätte. Aber naja, ist vertagt ;)

Sa'kul

Na dann sind wir ja quasi alte Kollegen (unter vielen :D). ;)

Mich würde deine "Komposition" des Servers mal interssieren... Und ein Zimmer mit Strom-flat für die Leute, die ihre Kisten dort parken wollen, kommt nicht in Frage?
Ich muss mal noch schauen, was ich da mache mit meinen herumliegenden Einzelteilen... Meinen Hauptrechner will ich nicht 24/7 anlassen, der schluckt zuviel Strom... Wenn dann müsste es schon ne Stromsparkiste sein... und F@H is ja nicht gerade Stromsparend... Wenn er allerdings woanders steht und ich Stromkosten bissl mitfinanziere... das wäre ok xD

bommel

Palulukanä Tarontu

Maybe there are really some temperature issues, you could try to replace the thermal grease. Is your GPU overclocked?
I just read you use an integrated GPU. If it will really die, you don't have to replace the whole motherboard. A similar graphics unit will cost about 50-70 $ (calculated by using euro) and you can disable the internal gpu. But I hope this won't go so far.

I noticed that the smp client starts a new work unit after it was closed. When my pc crashes (it uses the smp client) it starts a new working unit. Is that normal? I have to figure out, why it crahes (usually after 30 minutes to 2 hours full activity).
old gallery link?id=1817[/img]

"When people are sitting on s*** you want, you make them your enemy. Then you're justified in taking it."
- Jake Sully
[email protected]

Swoka Ikran

Well, just started the system up after a night off. Still UNSTABLE_MACHINE >:(

Quote from: Palulukanä Tarontu on March 09, 2011, 06:29:06 AM

Maybe there are really some temperature issues, you could try to replace the thermal grease. Is your GPU overclocked?
No grease to replace. I did just figure out how to check the temps...have to install an 88MB program though.

I just read you use an integrated GPU. If it will really die, you don't have to replace the whole motherboard. A similar graphics unit will cost about 50-70 $ (calculated by using euro) and you can disable the internal gpu. But I hope this won't go so far.
System does have a PCI-e slot, so I can add a real video card if I have to. What's weird though is that there are no issues with any other program. All games run fine, and there's no artifacting or flickering unless the GPU client is running.

I noticed that the smp client starts a new work unit after it was closed. When my pc crashes (it uses the smp client) it starts a new working unit. Is that normal? I have to figure out, why it crahes (usually after 30 minutes to 2 hours full activity).
If the system crashes, it may or may not start over. I think it depends on if the WU is corrupt or not.

bommel

Another big WU completed :)

Stats as of 11:45:20 March 10, 2011:

• Grand score: 1729933
  • Team rank: 2141 of 196251
  • WUs completed: 1618

Isn't this awesome?! ;)