Folding@home catchall

Started by bommel, December 28, 2010, 07:19:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Ikxeru on September 06, 2012, 05:44:12 AM
Hmmm.... I don't knoiw what may help. Maybe you could force a restart of the client when the WU you run now is finished.
My machine hasn't been restarted for four weeks now, and what happend to me is that I just get smaller WUs. But these are running on all 8 cores, same as the larger ones, I used to get before they switched.
I'll delete the work folder when the unit finishes and restart the client.

The PC restarts almost weekly due to frequent power outages in my area.
2010 was the year of the Na'vi.Vivar 'ivong Na'vi!

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

With 8 cores, is it possible you are processing WU's too fast? And that the server sent you single processor work units to get your WU turnaround into a more 'normal' range.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

bommel

Too fast is usually not a criteria for WU assignmen but too slow is (i. e. trying to fold large SMP WUs on a slow machine). Is your client still set up correctly (-smp switch)? Did you try deleting your work folder to reset the client?

Swoka Ikran

Still getting singles on my quad :( I just tried deleting the work folder and queue.dat, but it just downloads another single >:( The units always seem to be from projects 8050 - 8070.

The client is running with -smp.

Also, the singles take 3 days to finish and only get about 470 points compared to the 3000 I get from the SMPs I can do in ~20 hours.

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

bommel

This is really weird :(

Which client version are you using? Maybe give the newer v7 client a try (but keep the old one as a backup). On my Linux box the v6 client runs fine but I don't know if it is still officiall supported.

Swoka Ikran

Tried v7...still singles. :( (Not a fan of v7 BTW. Bloatware compared to v6 and no installer-less version I could find. Also seems to lack a console version. I don't need nor want a fancy UI, viewer, or installer. Console windows and config files are fine with me)

bommel

I'm no big fan of the v7 client either... Unfortunately I'm running out of ideas concerning your problem :(

Those WUs occupy only one core in the Windows Task Manager, right? Or are they just slow but use up all the cores available?

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: bommel on September 12, 2012, 12:26:56 AM
I'm no big fan of the v7 client either... Unfortunately I'm running out of ideas concerning your problem :(

Those WUs occupy only one core in the Windows Task Manager, right? Or are they just slow but use up all the cores available?
They only occupy one core. They use 25% of CPU, and 75% is used by the idle process.

I think it may be something to do with Stanford's end. I tried SMP on a Dell that has never run it before. Client saw both cores, but it downloaded a single anyway. :(

bommel

Okay, that's really strange. I'll ask in another forum about this issue, there are some really experienced folders. I hope they have an idea what to do

Swoka Ikran

OK :)

Just for reference, the PCs are a Pentium D, a P4 HT, and an AMD Phenom II X4. All are running single-core units using core a4. Also, if network configuration matters (and I doubt it since I can get units, just not the right type): All are on the same network and share a "semi-static" IP via NAT.

bommel

Could you please upload your fah log file?

Swoka Ikran

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/40374191/FAHlog.txt

That's the one from the quad. You can see an SMP unit finish at the top, then it started downloading and working out singles. The one that's 73% done is running as I write this.

bommel

Okay, I've seen it is using a new core: a4. And this requires at least client v6.34 and according to your log file you are using v6.30. Please try a fresh install of the 6.34 client, maybe this fixes your issue. And you can just use -smp instead of -smp 4. You usually have to specify a number if you want to limit the number of threads fah should use.

Swoka Ikran

6.34 seems to have fixed it. Thanks for the help :) The a4 core is now using all of my cores (which I've never seen it do before).

I just noticed in my old log that it says "Work type a4 is not eligible for variable processors" when it starts a unit, my 6.34 one says "A4 will attempt to use 4 threads" instead, and task manager shows it does in fact now use all 4 cores.

For laughs, I tried copying over the existing work unit from 6.30, expecting it to throw it out and download one. Instead, it's finishing it at 4x speed. :)

Now I just need to go update my other PCs.

bommel

Tìtstewan

Kaltxì!

I thought may doing something good. :)
So I join in to folding@home.
There I posted my rig ;)

I want to buy a new mainboard and a new graphics card, if I have enough money...
But I think the current PC still have enough power to folding a lot. :D

Currently f@h runs on 4 CPU cores at 60% load.

- ta Tìtstewan

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

bommel

Tìtstewan

Does f@h can use Intel's Hyperthreading? :-\

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-

Tìtstewan

This
QuoteSorry, only in German:

Ich habe gerade F@H Monitor installiert und sehe, dass f@h auf nur einen CPU-Kern (CPU0) läuft.  :o
Nun, wie bringe ich dem Programm bei, dass es "alle" CPUs (CPU0 - CPU3/7) nutzen soll?
(Habe mich auch gewundert, warum im Taskmanager die Auslastung nur so zwischen 8-15% schwankt...)

Muss ich - um alle Kerne zu nutzen - das Programm "mehrfach" ausführen oder irgendwas am Client basteln? :-\
and this
Quote from: Tìtstewan on September 20, 2012, 10:48:31 AM
Does f@h can use Intel's Hyperthreading? :-\
has care of itself^^

Problem solved. :D

It's running now on 8 Threads @ 100% CPU usage. ;)

- ta Tìtstewan

bommel

Great :-)

You have a passkey, don't you? With such a great CPU it would be a shame to lose the bonus points because of a missing passkey ;-)