Folding@home catchall

Started by bommel, December 28, 2010, 07:19:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tìtstewan

Quote from: bommel on September 20, 2012, 05:55:22 PM
Great :-)

You have a passkey, don't you? With such a great CPU it would be a shame to lose the bonus points because of a missing passkey ;-)
Don't worry, I have a passkey. ;)

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Tìtstewan

Score 513
WU 4

I get a huge folding work unit...
It have 10Mio steps :o and the folding time more than 20 hours...
(It's a simulation of a molecular cluster with 100k atoms :-X)

Happy folding ;D ;D ;D

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-

bommel

You will receive more points when you have completed 10 SMP WUs. And yes, happy folding :-)

Tìtstewan

Kaltxì, ma bommel!
Quote from: bommel on September 21, 2012, 03:22:28 PM
You will receive more points when you have completed 10 SMP WUs. And yes, happy folding :-)
It's good to know this!
Irayo!

Quote from: Tìtstewan on September 20, 2012, 11:53:22 PM
I get a huge folding work unit...
It have 10Mio steps :o and the folding time more than 20 hours...
(It's a simulation of a molecular cluster with 100k atoms :-X)
At the moment, 81% finished.

In 4 hours, the work unit is finished. :)

Update:

It's finished at night.
Score 1173
WU 5

Tìtstewan

It's work good. ;D
Currently I have a score of 2502 and 9 WUs :D ;D

Ikxeru

Quote from: Tìtstewan on September 19, 2012, 04:40:39 PM
Gainward GF GTX570 Phantom @ Standard

Hi!
Did you know that you can run the GPU client as well in parallel? This will give you some - let me guess - 30% extra points.
Compute for a greater good! Join LN's folding@home-team!

Krro tsayun oe 'ivefu nìftxavang nìmun.
Krro oeri txe'lan tìsraw ke sasyi nulkrr ulte tsun oe rivun tìme'emit nìmun.
Krro fra'u lasyatem.
Krro a lu pxiye'rìn, pxiswaway, pxiset, set.
Krro lu krrpe? Ke omum nìno, tì'eyngmungwrr a'aw a lu oer.
Krro layu...

Tìtstewan

Quote from: Ikxeru on September 24, 2012, 07:44:52 PM
Quote from: Tìtstewan on September 19, 2012, 04:40:39 PM
Gainward GF GTX570 Phantom @ Standard

Hi!
Did you know that you can run the GPU client as well in parallel? This will give you some - let me guess - 30% extra points.

I know, but my GPU is a pretty energy consumer. I will not necessarily get an additional payment...
A quadcore CPU should be enough at the moment. ;)

bommel

When I fold on my GTX 580 the PC becomes quite unusable because everything starts to lag. Therefore I just let it fold over night when I don't use the PC. But yes, it consumes quite a lot of energy.

Tìtstewan

Quote from: bommel on September 25, 2012, 10:30:08 AM
When I fold on my GTX 580 the PC becomes quite unusable because everything starts to lag. Therefore I just let it fold over night when I don't use the PC. But yes, it consumes quite a lot of energy.
Exsacly thats are my problem, when I start to fold on my graphics card... (I have testet this today)
I don't fold over night, becaus I will sleep ;D
My PC aren't silence (6 fans running...). :)

bommel

Quote from: Tìtstewan on September 25, 2012, 10:50:47 AM
So is mine, but I've learned to ignore it ;D
But the lagging issue is really annoying, the only way to fix this is to get a second GPU dedicated to folding. It's a technical limitation so it is unlikely they will ever fix it (in short: FAH consumes all the threads on the GPU, therefore the issued draw calls cannot be processed immediately).

Ikxeru

PCs don't need to sleep, but you do. But most people can sleep even better listening to a white noise sound...
And, f@h runs at full throttle, so there will be no RPM-divergence, beacuse the fans are constantly running at full throttle. So there is that nice sedative sound that you can hear ang you'll get used to it soon.. AND miss it much, if it is no longer there.

Krro fra'u lasyatem.
Krro layu...

Tìtstewan

Quote from: bommel on September 26, 2012, 10:54:48 AM
Quote from: Tìtstewan on September 25, 2012, 10:50:47 AM
So is mine, but I've learned to ignore it ;D
But the lagging issue is really annoying, the only way to fix this is to get a second GPU dedicated to folding. It's a technical limitation so it is unlikely they will ever fix it (in short: FAH consumes all the threads on the GPU, therefore the issued draw calls cannot be processed immediately).
I still have a GeForce G100 (OEM graphics card). ;D
I think, my CPU have more power than thats GPU...

Quote from: Ikxeru on September 26, 2012, 12:40:06 PM
PCs don't need to sleep, but you do. But most people can sleep even better listening to a white noise sound...
And, f@h runs at full throttle, so there will be no RPM-divergence, beacuse the fans are constantly running at full throttle. So there is that nice sedative sound that you can hear ang you'll get used to it soon.. AND miss it much, if it is no longer there.
The fans do not bother me while I'm awake. But at night, when it is quiet, my fans get on my nerves.

Ikxeru

Of course the CPU has more power. (As long as you don't have some monsters like e.g. Tesla GPUs in your rig).
But it can give some extra boost of WUs.

And talking about the noise: It just was a joke. ;)  A machine running at full trottle can be very annoying if you try to sleep in the same room. I am sitting right next to one here plus a (silent, but noise-producing) proxy server behind me. I can't imagine how I should sleep here..

but... back to topic.

Krro fra'u lasyatem.
Krro layu...

Tìtstewan

Ma Ikxeru
Quote from: Ikxeru on September 26, 2012, 02:35:15 PM
And talking about the noise: It just was a joke. ;)  A machine running at full trottle can be very annoying if you try to sleep in the same room. I am sitting right next to one here plus a (silent, but noise-producing) proxy server behind me. I can't imagine how I should sleep here..
I understood your joke. ;D ;D  :)
At the weekend, it's runs 24/7. I could only sleep because I was so tired (really!). ;D

but... back to topic.
Quote from: Ikxeru on September 26, 2012, 02:35:15 PM
Of course the CPU has more power. (As long as you don't have some monsters like e.g. Tesla GPUs in your rig).
But it can give some extra boost of WUs.
Maybe I'm building this GPU in my PC at the weekend.
I have one free PCI-Express slot, so it's possible :D

Ikxeru

Quote from: Tìtstewan on September 26, 2012, 02:51:13 PM
:o

You must be kidding... You are not assembling THAT into your rig, do you????

Noooo, you don't because my blue striped face would loose the stripes and turn green.  :D :D :D
Meh, on the other hand... This will boost our production "slightly". Go ahead, ma tsmuk! ;)

Krro fra'u lasyatem.
Krro layu...

Tìtstewan

Quote from: Ikxeru on September 26, 2012, 03:18:01 PM
Quote from: Tìtstewan on September 26, 2012, 02:51:13 PM
:o

You must be kidding... You are not assembling THAT into your rig, do you????
Hmm, you have that old GPU? :o ;D

If I win in the lottery, I will buy some Tesla K20 GPUs! ;D ;D ;D
And f@h will rock ! ;) :D ;D

Quote from: Ikxeru on September 26, 2012, 03:18:01 PM
Noooo, you don't because my blue striped face would loose the stripes and turn green.  :D :D :D
Meh, on the other hand... This will boost our production "slightly". Go ahead, ma tsmuk! ;)
In small steps forward.
Slowly but surely! ;D

Ikxeru

Just because I am curious... Does anyone has any benchmark results for f@h when using Tesla based GPU boards?
I've tried to find some benchmarks, but couldn't find some...

Krro fra'u lasyatem.
Krro layu...

Tìtstewan

Quote from: Ikxeru on September 26, 2012, 03:44:14 PM
Just because I am curious... Does anyone has any benchmark results for f@h when using Tesla based GPU boards?
I've tried to find some benchmarks, but couldn't find some...
I could not find tests with tesla GPUs. :(
Quadro and Tesla GPUs are too expensive and rare, as that can be found reasonable test.

bommel

The main difference between a regular Geforce and a Tesla GPU are support for much more memory (with ECC) and unlocked double precision computing power. Nvidia artificially limits the double precision computing power of their consumer GPUs (i.e. Geforce) to 1/8 of the single precision performance (AMD doesn't do this btw). So if FAH is using a lot of double precision computations you probably could get a significant boost with a Tesla card. But I can't promise that because those cards are way to expensive for a test. By the way, Quadro/Tesla cards are not better for gaming because in general they have a dedicated driver optimized for CAD applications and GPU computing.

Ikxeru

Of course they are no gaming cards and I guess they run best without any monitor attached to it.
For viewing the results of the computations there are always some cheap standard GPUs either in the machine or on another machine.
I would never buy one for gaming, because I guess there will be driver issues all the time and they are optimized for either Linux/Unix or Windows Server OSs, which will cause that you cannot run most games on it.

But I was just curious how the use of Tesla cards would increase production (as there are high-performance servers with 8 Tesla boards per machine available off-the-shelf for around $40,000) and I just wanted to know how fast they really are...

And: Stanford runs server farms - and the various faculties must have machines with Tesla cards... did they never test f@h on that? Hmmmm.... strange...

Krro fra'u lasyatem.
Krro layu...