Folding@home catchall

Started by bommel, December 28, 2010, 07:19:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tìtstewan

Quote from: Ikxeru on October 20, 2012, 12:25:45 PM
+++ BREAKING NEWS +++

Our team is ranked #300....
* (based on the database at extremeoverclocking.com)

seykxel sì nitram, ma frapo!
That's great! :D :D :D

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

bommel

Indeed! Thank you all for your support and lets move on to #200! :)

Tìtstewan

Quote from: bommel on October 20, 2012, 03:12:56 PM
In 5h I will get ~4700 points. :)

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-

bommel

After a couple of days I can say that my server is running fine again. I'm receiving the old PPD again plus it is now more power efficient (thanks to 80+ Gold) and cooler.

Tìtstewan

Quote from: Tìtstewan on October 20, 2012, 03:20:06 PM
Quote from: bommel on October 20, 2012, 03:12:56 PM
In 5h I will get ~4700 points. :)

Our team is ranked #296 ;) :D :)

bommel

I'm currently setting up a v7 console client on my server. When the current v6 WU finishes I will switch to v7 and test it. Maybe it is faster than the old one :)

Tanri

I don't think v7 is faster, because it loads and runs the same cores.
About console - I was very happy when I had realized that entire v7 is still a good old console, only wrapped into GUI. ;D
Tätxawyu akì'ong.

bommel

Yeah. I tested the v7 GUI version long before it went the "official" one (earlier beta stage) and it was kinda buggy. It took a while until I figured out that there is a good old tar ball I could just grab from the homepage and run in a console. And it seemed to improve my PPD by a couple of thousand points. With the v6 client I received a3 WUs, now I receive a4 WUs that only need about 2 hours to finish. Maybe I just messed up the settings with the older v6 client ^^

Anyway, I have seen someone building a 4P Opteron folding server in another forum. What a machine, currently he's at 430k PPD. With Xeons you could gain even more, but you can't afford it. It's crazy, just crazy.

Tsmuktengan

I am now also using my work PC at school for folding, in addition to my home computer running from time to time. I have now two machines running Core i7 processors. Should be good.  :)

Tìtstewan

Huii, I reach over 50.000 points :D

bommel

bommel

Just had a look at the JUQUEEN in Jülich, it's currently ranked 5th on the current Top 500 list. Folding on such a beast would be pretty hardcore ;)

Ikxeru

This is a Toruk-machine ...  Awesome.
Compute for a greater good! Join LN's folding@home-team!

Krro tsayun oe 'ivefu nìftxavang nìmun.
Krro oeri txe'lan tìsraw ke sasyi nulkrr ulte tsun oe rivun tìme'emit nìmun.
Krro fra'u lasyatem.
Krro a lu pxiye'rìn, pxiswaway, pxiset, set.
Krro lu krrpe? Ke omum nìno, tì'eyngmungwrr a'aw a lu oer.
Krro layu...

Tìtstewan

Ikxeru

Due to technical issues and maintenace, I have to suspend folding at the office for around one week. After that: faster machine, more RAM, more Graphics power... hence more points. :D

Krro fra'u lasyatem.
Krro layu...

Tanri

Txantsana fmawn, ma Ikxeru!
You are changing HW, and I am in the middle of replacing SW to the newest 7.2.9 client. No increase of performance expected, only to be sure I run the latest.
Tätxawyu akì'ong.

Ikxeru

Oe var ayngahu! And here we go again ....   :)

New machine, new v7 SMP/GPU client, runs as a service.  Let's see what it can bring up.
Tsun aynga stivawm fìnguwayit oeyä srak? :D
Vivar!

Krro fra'u lasyatem.
Krro layu...

Tsmuktengan

Is there actually a difference between the v6 and v7 versions of the folding client? Running on Mageia Linux, it is a bit tricky to install the v7 on that Linux and would prefer to stay on v6. Yet, v7 looks like it handles the computer's unused power better than v6. What's you opinion on this?

Tìtstewan

I have updated it too.
But it "destroyed" my previous folding job with 10k points... >:(
3 days for nothing. :(

bommel

If you prefer a console client over the GUI client, you can grab a console-only version here. I'm running this on my main server since a couple of weeks. The configuration is completely different from the older v6 client so make sure to have a look at the built-in help with the --help command line argument (there's a lot of output!). There's an autoconfiguration too which simplify things but if you want to set up remote monitoring or any other advanced stuff you need to do it yourself via the command line or the config file.