Folding@home catchall

Started by bommel, December 28, 2010, 07:19:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tìtstewan

I see the new Version works faster. One job was folded in a few hours and - thats interesting - I folding a job, thet will give me 6k pints and it will finish in 9 hours. :)

Quote from: bommel on December 02, 2012, 04:45:31 AM
If you prefer a console client over the GUI client, you can grab a console-only version here. I'm running this on my main server since a couple of weeks. The configuration is completely different from the older v6 client so make sure to have a look at the built-in help with the --help command line argument (there's a lot of output!). There's an autoconfiguration too which simplify things but if you want to set up remote monitoring or any other advanced stuff you need to do it yourself via the command line or the config file.
Thanks for this info.
I will use it, if I have a server there. So I saved the link.

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Ikxeru

Whoopididoo, installed v7. up and running ... fast.

Well, v7 works very fine here running as a service, but I wanted to use both SMP and GPU folding but I've found out that the GPU usage stays around 10% - so it simply refuses to fold on that. (see attachment)
Maybe it's because it's no longer an nv GPU, I have a Radeon HD 6570 now (which is somewhat low cost, but ok)?

Anyway, compared to the other machine on which v6 has run, total estimated average PPD nearly doubled.
Sure, now the CPU is a bit faster, but not as much as that it could be the only reason for that, so I would recommend to update to v7 and give it a try.

@Tìstewan: ALWAYS set the client to "Pause after finished" and wait until the actual WU is finished before changing the configuration.
Otherwise the cache maybe flushed as the software suspects a corrupted WU.

Compute for a greater good! Join LN's folding@home-team!

Krro tsayun oe 'ivefu nìftxavang nìmun.
Krro oeri txe'lan tìsraw ke sasyi nulkrr ulte tsun oe rivun tìme'emit nìmun.
Krro fra'u lasyatem.
Krro a lu pxiye'rìn, pxiswaway, pxiset, set.
Krro lu krrpe? Ke omum nìno, tì'eyngmungwrr a'aw a lu oer.
Krro layu...

Tìtstewan

Quote from: Ikxeru on December 02, 2012, 10:34:12 AM
@Tìstewan: ALWAYS set the client to "Pause after finished" and wait until the actual WU is finished before changing the configuration.
Otherwise the cache maybe flushed as the software suspects a corrupted WU.
It's too late... :(
Afterward you will be wiser...

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-

Tìtstewan

I've noticed I get more points for a folding job.
For example, currently I have a job with a base credit of 2250 points.
The old client, get me - when the job was finihsed - nearly 4500 points, but with the newer client, i will get over 11000 points (for a job with the same base credit and folding time.). :o

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Tìtstewan on December 02, 2012, 04:58:44 PM
The old client, get me - when the job was finihsed - nearly 4500 points, but with the newer client, i will get over 11000 points (for a job with the same base credit and folding time.). :o
If you're really getting 11000 for a 2250 unit, I need to upgrade. My SMPs are worth about 2300 each. Are those SMPs or GPU units?

Quote from: Tìtstewan on December 02, 2012, 10:41:37 AM
It's too late... :(
Afterward you will be wiser...
I've lost my fair share of units for all sorts of weird reasons. It's something that comes with participating.

As for not knowing you needed to do that before changing settings...unfortunately, the only time everything's perfectly clear is in hindsight. Good news is you now know for next time :)
2010 was the year of the Na'vi.Vivar 'ivong Na'vi!

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

Tìtstewan

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on December 02, 2012, 07:39:52 PM
If you're really getting 11000 for a 2250 unit, I need to upgrade. My SMPs are worth about 2300 each. Are those SMPs or GPU units?
SMP client :)
Currently, the program shows me 14k...

bommel

With the v7 I receive sometimes a WU that's worth almost 20k - but it takes a long time to complete. With a faster machine I would gain more points, my two Opterons are not state of the art anymore (well, to be honest I think they never were...).

I've ordered a new setup yesterday (Intel Core i7 3770k). This should improve my output ;)

Tìtstewan

Quote from: Tìtstewan on December 02, 2012, 10:02:34 PM
Quote from: Swoka Ikran on December 02, 2012, 07:39:52 PM
SMP client :)
Currently, the program shows me 14k...
So, the job s finished and I got over 15.000 points. LOL That is the double what I got normally under the old client. :o

Palulukanä Tarontu

I am currently trying to fold with 3 machines, 1 Server (which was already folding) and 2 Laptops. Lets see, how many points I get.
And, I upgraded all to v7.
old gallery link?id=1817[/img]

"When people are sitting on s*** you want, you make them your enemy. Then you're justified in taking it."
- Jake Sully
[email protected]

Ikxeru

@Tìstewan: I guess with the new client you have unleashed the Nantang inside your machine, haven't you?

I came across a serious issue with v7. During a normal Windows update, something corrupted the f@h service.
The client stopped to fold on the CPU but leaving the CPU running at full throttle.

If you come across the same issue, here is what I did to fix that:
- uninstall f@h, but leave the data on the machine (so you don't have to re-enter your UserID, passkey and the other config data)
- restart machine to stop and delete the f@h service
- go to the WU directory and delete the WU's files manually
- reinstall f@h
- optionally restart machine to start the f@h service to see if it is working proper now

Krro fra'u lasyatem.
Krro layu...

Tìtstewan

Quote from: Ikxeru on December 08, 2012, 06:01:18 AM
@Tìstewan: I guess with the new client you have unleashed the Nantang inside your machine, haven't you?
Indeed.
I am still surprised that my CPU have a lot of power to it - and the new client unleashed really the Nantang. :o

I came across a serious issue with v7. During a normal Windows update, something corrupted the f@h service.
The client stopped to fold on the CPU but leaving the CPU running at full throttle.
Wich update was it?
Until now for me it is running normally.

If you come across the same issue, here is what I did to fix that:
- uninstall f@h, but leave the data on the machine (so you don't have to re-enter your UserID, passkey and the other config data)
- restart machine to stop and delete the f@h service
- go to the WU directory and delete the WU's files manually
- reinstall f@h
- optionally restart machine to start the f@h service to see if it is working proper now
That's good to know.
Thanks for your fix info.

Palulukanä Tarontu

I was already wondering, why you are getting lees poins with a newer machine.
old gallery link?id=1817[/img]

"When people are sitting on s*** you want, you make them your enemy. Then you're justified in taking it."
- Jake Sully
[email protected]

Ikxeru

Well, I am folding on my machine at home now 24/7 (hence the name, folding at home - lol), the machine at the office is no longer running 24/7 (but will still bring extra points during office hours and when in use.)
As I hang around in SL at home, there are simply no free CPU cycles available, so folding stops when being online there - I've tried to "convince" the machine to use some forced idle cycles by increasing the priority of the service - but it didn't help to fix that).

What exact Windows service update corrupted the service? I don't know. It was a virgin Windows setup and downloaded around 210 single service patches - and f@h was the first thing I've installed after installing firefox when getting the new machine and before that service patch orgy started.

But it isn't important. Just check out if the client is still properly folding after an installation of service patches by using the fahcontrol interface.
If it does, leave it. And if you come across that problem, you may want to fix the problem the way I did.

Krro fra'u lasyatem.
Krro layu...

Ikxeru

I came across another error with v7.

SMP folding runs fast as a palulukan now, but GPU folding stopped - and here is why:

12:07:28:WU00:FS00:Downloading core from http://www.stanford.edu/~pande/Win32/AMD64/ATI/R600/Core_15.fah
12:07:28:WU00:FS00:Connecting to www.stanford.edu:80
12:07:29:ERROR:WU00:FS00:Exception: Failed to access core package.

When I enter that address into a browser, it returns a 404 error. (See attachment - no core15)
Any idea how I can fix that manually?

(Anyway, it's not really an issue, so to speak folding on that particular GPU is inefficent - no CUDA core...
*grrrr* My hands were on that Quadro2000, but I was too parsimonious at that moment.)

Krro fra'u lasyatem.
Krro layu...

Tìtstewan

The links works for me.
Only this page-->http://www.stanford.edu/~pande/Win32/AMD64/ATI/R600/Core_15.fah<--  says:
Quote from: Stanford UniversityObjekt nicht gefunden!
Der angeforderte URL konnte auf dem Server nicht gefunden werden. Der Link auf der verweisenden Seite scheint falsch oder nicht mehr aktuell zu sein. Bitte informieren Sie den Autor dieser Seite über den Fehler.

I don't have a ATI graphics card, so I can't look and test. :(

Tìtstewan

Quote from: Ikxeru on December 09, 2012, 08:24:06 AM
(Anyway, it's not really an issue, so to speak folding on that particular GPU is inefficent - no CUDA core...
*grrrr* My hands were on that Quadro2000, but I was too parsimonious at that moment.)
Why a Quadro?
A GTX 560 have 336 CUDA-Cores insteed the 192 of a Quadro 2000 and it is cheaper?

I see you have an ATI (AMD) R600, so is may can be a Radeon HD 2900 GT, Radeon HD 2900 Pro or Radeon HD 2900 XT, right?

bommel

As a temporary workaround you could disable GPU folding in the V7 client and set up the older v6 for GPU-only usage. Unfortunately FAH still doesn't work with AMD/ATI GPUs as good as it does with Nvidia GPUs, although it has improved with the introduction of the v7 client.

bommel

Just noticed some issue with my new setup: according to the control client I gain 5000+/WU but only receive around 1200+ which is even less than what my Opteron system does. I try to enter my passkey again, maybe I messed sth up but shouldn't it have warned me then? Very strange, missed a lot of points during the last days :(

Update: After having a look at the logs I noticed that it even dumped some finished(!) units because the work server rejected them (unfortunately no more info is given). I'm suspecting my undervolting attempts could be the reason for this problem, I'm trying the next WUs at stock voltage altough Prime95 reported no issues. If that doesn't fix it I'll give the old v6 console client a try.

Update 2: It seems like it's something else, maybe a server issue. Really not what I have expected from my new setup. So far the performance is comparable to my dual quadcore Opteron 2378 which is running fah inside a Linux VM!

Tìtstewan

Quote from: Tìtstewan on December 08, 2012, 08:17:27 AM
Indeed.
I am still surprised that my CPU have a lot of power to it - and the new client unleashed really the Nantang. :o
I think, I unleashed the Palulukan. :o

Edit: Hell yeah! I reached 200k points :D

Tanri

Quote from: bommel on December 10, 2012, 08:56:27 AM
Update: After having a look at the logs I noticed that it even dumped some finished(!) units because the work server rejected them (unfortunately no more info is given). I'm suspecting my undervolting attempts could be the reason for this problem, I'm trying the next WUs at stock voltage altough Prime95 reported no issues. If that doesn't fix it I'll give the old v6 console client a try.
Update 2: It seems like it's something else, maybe a server issue. Really not what I have expected from my new setup. So far the performance is comparable to my dual quadcore Opteron 2378 which is running fah inside a Linux VM!
It had to be server problem, I experienced the same thing - some WUs was dumped for no reason. Fortunately, it was only temporary and all is running fine now.
Tätxawyu akì'ong.