Folding@home catchall

Started by bommel, December 28, 2010, 07:19:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bommel

Yes, it seems like it is working again. Bad servers, I lost a total of 5 WUs. Lots of wasted resources.

Swoka Ikran

My GPU client seems to have stopped getting work. :(

[23:15:59] Gpu type=3 species=21.
[23:16:00] Loaded queue successfully.
[23:16:00] - Preparing to get new work unit...
[23:16:00] Cleaning up work directory
[23:16:00] + Attempting to get work packet
[23:16:00] Passkey found
[23:16:00] Gpu type=3 species=21.
[23:16:00] - Connecting to assignment server
[23:16:00] + No appropriate work server was available; will try again in a bit.
[23:16:00] + Couldn't get work instructions.
[23:16:00] - Attempt #1  to get work failed, and no other work to do.
Waiting before retry.
Been doing that since yesterday afternoon. Restarting the client or the computer makes no difference. Sits there and tries repeatedly without success. Don't know if SMP is affected, it's still working on something from yesterday morning.

Is this just a down work server?
2010 was the year of the Na'vi.Vivar 'ivong Na'vi!

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

bommel

Yes, it could be related to unavailable servers.

Swoka Ikran

Not sure what's been up with this. v6 GPU is still spitting out errors about getting work.

Just fixed it by updating to v7 though. :) Got a ridiculously large WU worth 14k...never seen one of those before.

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

bommel

That was my experience when I switched to v7 too. GPU seems to have improved :)

bommel

Tanri, you've got a new system? Your PPD increased by approx. 30k :-)

Tanri

Not entirely new, I am testing another i7 with problematic mainboard, and had let it run several days continuously. However in next few days I plan to stick my screwdriver into it, and the future is unknown.
Also the power distribution company has changed the intervals and I am allowing "Eniac" to fold longer, instead of shutting down and starting again in one or two hours.
But yes, my goal is to definitely replace Eniac's E8400 with decent i7 - and from that point my PPD will only go down, as more powerful hardware emerges in future. Sandy Bridge platforms are probably the latest ones that comply with my requirements.
Tätxawyu akì'ong.

Swoka Ikran

FAH7 isn't friendly to server errors. Sent me an HTML page for a 500 error for a project description, won't take my GPU unit, and keeps trying (and failing) to throw my finished (not sure if it submitted) SMP WU away.

bommel

Switch to expert view, then it should be gone.
Sometimes I have upload issues too. Usually it is some kind of server issue :(

Swoka Ikran

That takes care of the project description issue, but the WUs still won't send.

They've been there since this morning. I guess I'll wait and see if they eventually go.

bommel

It's usually a server issue if a WU doesn't get send. You can be happy if it is kept instead of being dropped. That's pretty nice when you spend 8 hours folding just to discover that the server rejected your WU for no apparent reason. On the other hand, if this happens to you, you should always check the log files. Sometimes a WU is rejected because of computational errors, mostly introduced by not-so-stable OC. If the server cannot be contacted, it will show up in the log too.

Tìtstewan

Kaltxì!

I've clean-up my PC....crazy dust layer:

But, temperatures fell ~10°C! :D

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Vawmataw

Quote from: Tìtstewan on February 22, 2013, 10:13:00 AM
Kaltxì!

I've clean-up my PC....crazy dust layer:

But, temperatures fell ~10°C! :D
Good :)
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Interesting CPU cooler. What processor do you have?

Some of the PCs here at work get much worse. I have no idea why they get that way.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Tìtstewan

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on February 23, 2013, 08:34:36 PM
Interesting CPU cooler. What processor do you have?
My processor is an Intel i7-2600 (Sandy Bridge - quadcore) and the cooler is a Prolimatech Armageddon. :)

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-

bommel

There is a new folding@home release: 7.3.6

I just upgraded my PCs to this version and noticed that it is a bit different to the older (pre 7.3.x) ones. You now have a new tray icon and a kind of web site instead of the older client GUI's novice view - advanced/expert view for FAHControl is still available and the default now. There is a new slider which helps adjusting the load fah is allowed to put on your hardware (always to "full" for hardcore folders obviously ;))

I'm using the console client (aka pure FAHClient) on my main server and upgraded it too but this slider is not visible wihtout a GUI. You have to set the option "power" to "full" in order to achieve the same effect. Without it, it will run at "medium" by default. On my machine this meant that it was using just 7 of my 8 CPU cores! Took me a while to figure this out...

Tìtstewan

Well, nice! I will update it, if my current folding is finished. (I don't do the same mistake like last time... ::))

bommel

Yes, better finish the current WU. On Windows, you can install the new release over the old release. At least it worked for me (went from 7.2.9). It will automatically update your configuration file to new values if necessary (thanks to XML ;-))

Tìtstewan

I've download it.
Here the download link *click* :P

Tìtstewan

So, update complete and no data lost. :)
This version looks nice.