Folding@home catchall

Started by bommel, December 28, 2010, 07:19:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bommel

Probably, I guess the whole computer was pretty expensive, I don't know how much they paid. Unfortunately this is not my computer but a computer I work with.

Tìtstewan

Yeah, and that would be awesome to render a video on that...

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

bommel

The first WUs folded on that machine were in the 20k range which is what my Core i7 3770k on OC would get too. That seemed a bit too low for such a system. Turned out I had to add some parameters to get the really big WUs (16 cores minimum). I'm still waiting for the first one to finish but according to the client, ppd will be in the range of 270k - 400k which looks much better :)

Ikxeru

Compute for a greater good! Join LN's folding@home-team!

Krro tsayun oe 'ivefu nìftxavang nìmun.
Krro oeri txe'lan tìsraw ke sasyi nulkrr ulte tsun oe rivun tìme'emit nìmun.
Krro fra'u lasyatem.
Krro a lu pxiye'rìn, pxiswaway, pxiset, set.
Krro lu krrpe? Ke omum nìno, tì'eyngmungwrr a'aw a lu oer.
Krro layu...

Ikxeru

Ma frapo,
From July 7th, I will pause contribution of any WUs to the project, due to a vacation. (Yesss, it's AvatarMeet) Folding will resume from early August.

Krro fra'u lasyatem.
Krro layu...

Ikxeru

Back to normal and stable operation for a while, I see that we need some more users.  Where have you all gone?

Krro fra'u lasyatem.
Krro layu...

Tìtstewan

Yeah, I have stopped contribution since I got a nice energy bill a tìsraw seyki oet... :(

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-

Ikxeru

I understand... folding 24/7/365 means 59,808h x .6 kW = 35,884kWh x .15€ = 5,382€ / yr   ...  yes, indeed:  "nice".

But you don't have to let it run 24/7, rather you can switch it on, when your machine runs anyway.

Krro fra'u lasyatem.
Krro layu...

Tìtstewan

I let it running 6h per day. Only 0,15/kWh? I pay 25 cents!
btw.
24h x 365d = 8760h
8760h x 0,6 kW = 5256kWh/a

In my case was:
6h x 365d = 2190h
2190h x 0,5kW = 1095kWh
1095kWh x 0,25€ = 273,75 €

Ikxeru

I am stupid, sure. 24x365=8760h.  x ,6kW x ,15€ = 788€.   I knew there was a mistake. LOL   Just around 5,000€ ^^    I should work as an accountant. LOL

We should set up a machine in Sweden, they just pay ,07€ per kWh...

Krro fra'u lasyatem.
Krro layu...

Tìtstewan

Quote from: Ikxeru on August 27, 2014, 12:33:46 PM
:o :o :o HRHPEU? 0,07€ ONLY?!

I forgot to mention, that my machine run longer at weekends, so it not exactly 6h per week, it's around 8h or 9h.
But I had to pay back over 250€ for enery consumption... :(
FayRDA! Fayvrrtep!

Vawmataw

Quote from: Tìtstewan on August 27, 2014, 12:42:02 PM
Quote from: Ikxeru on August 27, 2014, 12:33:46 PM
:o :o :o HRHPEU? 0,07€ ONLY?!

I forgot to mention, that my machine run longer at weekends, so it not exactly 6h per week, it's around 8h or 9h.
But I had to pay back over 250€ for enery consumption... :(
FayRDA! Fayvrrtep!
250 euros per day? Ma oeyä Eywa!
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Tìtstewan

HRH no, per year

I have to pay 90€ per month....

bommel

That is the reason why I quit some time ago. My main folding rig (2x quadcore Opteron) pulled 250-300W from the plug and that turned out to be pretty expensive for 24/7 usage. If you're doing just a couple of hours a day, maybe using (certain) GPUs could be a better alternative.

Tìtstewan

Well, it is a little pain that NVidia has dissabled the double precission on consumer GPUs... It's not that efficient, if one thing to buy a GTX 970/980. :(

bommel

AFAIK Folding@home doesn't use double precision for their GPU cores so this shouldn't be an issue. From what I have seen so far the new gen cards look pretty interesting, maybe I'll buy a GTX 970. If you need a lot of DP power chances are you need more compute power anyway (i.e. couple of Xeon E5 and/or Tesla cards).

Tìtstewan

Oh. I thought they use double precision.
Yeah, I'm thingking about to buy also a GTX 970 or 980. It would be a big boost. *looking at my GTX 570*

Blue Elf

Has anyone met problems with getting work units to process?
I 'm constantly getting this for a few days:
Quote17:50:01:WU00:FS00:Connecting to 171.67.108.200:8080
17:50:03:WARNING:WU00:FS00:Failed to get assignment from '171.67.108.200:8080': Empty work server assignment
17:50:03:WU00:FS00:Connecting to 171.64.65.121:80
17:50:24:WARNING:WU00:FS00:Failed to get assignment from '171.64.65.121:80': Failed to connect to 171.64.65.121:80: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.
17:50:24:ERROR:WU00:FS00:Exception: Could not get an assignment
17:50:24:WU00:FS00:Connecting to 171.67.108.200:8080
17:50:25:WARNING:WU00:FS00:Failed to get assignment from '171.67.108.200:8080': Empty work server assignment
17:50:25:WU00:FS00:Connecting to 171.64.65.121:80
There's message in support forum that there was problem with new assignment server, but no info whether it was solved, how work goes, what is prediction...
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

bommel

I have heard of issues too but since I haven't done any folding recently I can't tell you more about it. If you still have issues chances are they haven't fixed it yet.

bommel

I've got a new server and it is currently folding its very first WU (should be in the range of 20k-30k PPD). Finally I'm folding again :-)