OUR Avatar Game

Started by Eywayä lì'u, May 29, 2010, 03:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerame Pxel Nume

Quote from: Tsamsiyu92 on June 08, 2010, 06:25:35 AM
The world of pandora will probably be a pain-in-the-ass challange for the modellers and texturers.
Maybe someone of us should invest in a licence for XFrog to automate the creation of plant models. XFrog takes a set of rules and creates plant models from those.

Txur Niftxavang

Oh WOW!!!!!!!!    I never thought it would come this far. Sorry fellow board members, I had my doubts. I've never studied game engineering, or anything of the sort. So, this is very new to me.   Although I am a big gamer, I'm not going to get into game development.    I applaud ALL who want to be future developers!  ;D       Good luck with the your AVATAR game!  :)
PSN: AVATAR_052191

If anyone has a question about firearms training/ Bow training leave a message, a voicemail on my phone, or text.
State your name, and if you are one of the people.

Eywayä lì'u

Oe prrkxentrrkrr ngeyä sa'nok!

GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

MrGoodbytes

Eywayä lì'u

want to help? any good at drawing, designing, animating or voice acting?

GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

MrGoodbytes

Some designing, i guess and I could do voice acting.  I have a lot of different "accents" that i use.  I can do some coding, but not what you probably not what you are needing (Html, etc.).  I would be happy to help where needed though, ma aytsmuk!

Kerame Pxel Nume

Quote from: MrGoodbytes on June 08, 2010, 06:46:55 PM
but not what you probably not what you are needing (Html, etc.).

Just nitpicking here: HTML is not program code, it's document markup. However JavaScript is perfectly well program code, so if you know your way around JS, you already took the biggest step.

UnrealScript (the language of the Unreal Engine) is not so much different from JavaScript by the way. Instead of the DOM you have all the objects in the game, onto which you can attach scripts.

xMine

I'd be glad if I could help too, but i have no idea whether or not my skills are useful: Flash AS3, C, a bit PHP

Eywayä lì'u

at the moment we're knee deep in planning and concepts, so we currently are in desperate need of artists, we will of course require coders and 3D designers and such later on but now, if anyone can draw a mean scene...

Your in business :D

Nawm Nantang

I reckon you should make a mmorpg on PC with a massive world, and have the oppurtunity to choose your faction. (Na'vi or RDA)
The player should be able to sort of progress throught life on Pandora, e.g. RDA: Go up ranks, earn money, hone skills, etc. Na'vi: Get Ikran, ride direhorse, gain skills, etc.
old gallery link?id=470[/img]

bommel

Well, for a MMORPG we probably need some infrastructure which will cost money, depending on the popularity of the game one server won't be enough and this goes up to a few hundred bucks a month... but I won't generally exclude the possibility of making an mmorpg ^^

I have some servers at home and do some self hosting stuff but you really need a fast upload speed (at my parents we have just a crappy 3 mbit/s ADSL line with 50-70 kbyte/s upload. For serving webpages to a small amount of people this is sufficient but not for hosting a mmorpg ^^

Eywayä lì'u

We've wondered and long left the MMORPG idea, it's dead. We simply don't have the time or resources required for it, and there would be at most like 20 people playing it, we're not exactly mainstream, so that kinda gets rid of the "Massively" bit. Having loads of AI characters does not need the same high level of maintenance and is just as fun, maybe more. Especially considering you don't have to worry about their feelings if you shoot them square in the face.

xMine

I completely agree with you ma bommel.
I think the more interesting thing for a mmorpg would be which engine to use.
A friend of mine mentioned in a private chat that UDK would be interesting.
That is the (for non-commercial projects free) enhanced UT3 Engine. It features
great Graphics, Sound, Networking and a Script Engine (UnrealScript).
The Problem with a MMORPG would be now, that the UT3 Engine isn't in any way
meant to be a MMO Engine. For an MMO you need one huge map, which can't stay completely
in Memory, so you need some kind of streaming. I don't know if UnrealScript can create Triggers
which can load/unload complete map areas. Okay, then a System where you have to load a new map
whenever you enter a city, district, ... . This is also common and used by games like GuildWars.
The Problem here is now that you'd need one UT3 Server for every district.

So the devs of this project would probably need to create their own engine (using existing engines
like OGRE3D and others) which would be a huge effort and can't be done by a single person.

And then there is the question if enough people would play that game.
The team can't even make some money (maybe via donations?) to pay the bills, because
when you make money, FOX wouldn't be pleased :/

BTW Fox: Even when some guys from 20th. Century Fox are reading this thread, the team can't be sure
that Fox will be pleased that some fans are creating a game without permission - afaik ubisoft
has the rights to produce games in the Avatar Universe and wouldn't be pleased also.

In the end there are many questions that the dev team has to discuss ;)

bommel

If heard about some other fan projects which have been canceled due to legal issues (not just Avatar; especially remakes of older games). And some of them were in a very advanced state so this really sucked! But you can't do much if you are not the owner of the license and you have no permission to use it. Though some publishers allow such fan projects but that's the exception of the rule.

Eana Taw atsawl

About the licencing:

1) we'll handle that issue when and if the need arises and
2) there is a precedent for what we are doing, namely the Oblivion Mods. We are simply (albeit heavily) modding an existing game (Unreal). Also, depending on how large this gets, they may not even care.

To be honest, that won't be an issue for a long time  :D
Only a heretic brings a gun to a swordfight
                               But only a moron brings a sword to a gunfight

GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into you're sig and add 1 to the generation

bommel

Quote from: Eana Taw atsawl on June 12, 2010, 06:32:50 AM
To be honest, that won't be an issue for a long time  :D
Probably ^^

But we just need to keep in mind that there are such things like licenses

Eywayä lì'u

as long as this is entirely non-profit and the fact that fox/ubisoft hold the license and copyright, it should be ok

bommel

Anyway, we just need to create something before they could admonish us ^^

Niwantaw

I have a plan  to evade all licensing issues...

(highlight below)
we could write in beige XD
then they will never discover us
muh hah hah hah hah hah hah
Only mostly AWOL.

Kerame Pxel Nume

Quote from: Eywayä lì'u on June 12, 2010, 12:14:15 PM
again...

no online functionality
We're just talking hypothetically. I'll split this into another thread.

--> MOVED HERE