OUR Avatar Game

Started by Eywayä lì'u, May 29, 2010, 03:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Txur Redis

Try frostbite, it has realistic physics. Sadly, it has no SDK.   :-[

xMine

First, having realistic physics in a game isn't something special nowadays.
There are really many many physics engines out there, like Bullet, ODE, PhysX
and so on.
Secondly, this discussion is already over - since October 2010...

Eywayä lì'u

Yeah the project has died, we officially put it to rest quite a while ago...
Oe prrkxentrrkrr ngeyä sa'nok!

GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Awpo tupe uniltìranyu

bommel

Quote from: Awpo tupe uniltìranyu on May 30, 2011, 10:10:32 PM
source sdk :P
The game engine is not the only problem. For me, creating the game content like textures, models, etc. is way more difficult. And I don't know if source SDK is suitable for creating a MMORPG (honestly I would say it isn't).

Niwantaw

would be too bulky I think for an MMRPG but would do very well for what we were planning.
Only mostly AWOL.

Eywayä lì'u

Quote from: Tawtewng on May 31, 2011, 07:24:48 AM
would be too bulky I think for an MMRPG but would do very well for what we were planning.

yeah, I agree source can be a bit unsuitable for large amounts of players. Looking back now I feel quite sad at the way this fell apart, I'd love to start up again but I have a bad feeling it'd go the same way...

GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Kerame Pxel Nume

Quote from: Eywayä lì'u on May 31, 2011, 04:00:44 PM

yeah, I agree source can be a bit unsuitable for large amounts of players. Looking back now I feel quite sad at the way this fell apart, I'd love to start up again but I have a bad feeling it'd go the same way...

The thing is: I'm still working on my "Pandora" engine, which is essentially a massive multiplayer sandbox.

Niwantaw

Quote from: Kerame Pxel Nume on June 03, 2011, 03:08:17 PM

The thing is: I'm still working on my "Pandora" engine, which is essentially a massive multiplayer sandbox.
The thing is: you're kinda the reason the whole thing collapsed due to the fact that you essentially ignored what everyone had already planned completely and then went off on a completely different route without actually telling any of the rest of the group any more than that you were building an MMO and then to top it off you got moderator status and set the entire sub-forum up for what is your private project.
[/rant]

If you haven't guessed I'm still moderately pissed off about that.
Only mostly AWOL.

Eywayä lì'u

Quote from: Tawtewng on June 04, 2011, 02:48:00 PM
Quote from: Kerame Pxel Nume on June 03, 2011, 03:08:17 PM

The thing is: you're kinda the reason the whole thing collapsed due to the fact that you essentially ignored what everyone had already planned completely and then went off on a completely different route without actually telling any of the rest of the group any more than that you were building an MMO and then to top it off you got moderator status and set the entire sub-forum up for what is your private project.
[/rant]

If you haven't guessed I'm still moderately pissed off about that.

And this is why I love you Tawteng :D

lol jk, but still yeah there was no way you should have had moderator status for a project you had absolutely NO part in...

Kerame Pxel Nume

I'm totally sorry myself that it all happend like this. I don't look for any sympathy right now, but at that time I had to face a surge of unexpected work, essentially forcing me off all online activities. I'm now through that phase, luckily.

I think we should learn from the problems of the first attempt, and maybe give it another try. I don't see that moderator status as a something precious to me. Heck I'd gladly vote for other people to get moderator status here, too, and actually this was what I had in my mind the whole time. My moderator status came mostly because I was asking Payoang for creating a subboard on the forum, and asking for it I got moderator status by default.

Let me recapitulate: There were two major ideas for a game:

* Some linearily told storyline game
* An open world sandbox style game

Personally I'd prefer the later. Also I did a few suggestions for tasks people could carry out independently of what would be required for what kind of game we'd do. Such tasks would have been designing props, maybe modelling them in a 3d modeller, ideas for textures, concept art, etc. Those are all things that could have been used in any kind of game. Another important task would have been writing some script/story. There are tons of ideas in the fanfic section.

Once the story is pinned down it's upon deciding the kind of gameplay style.

Only after all this has been pinned down it's time to get technical.

But of course your criticism is all valid and I see my faults here, no denying that.

Niwantaw

We did have a lot of the planning done but I don't have the documents any more.

And IF we are to do this again I think we should reorganise a skype group again and get everything planned out again before we run off building engines and generally going off in a disorganised rabble.
Only mostly AWOL.

Eywayä lì'u

Quote from: Tawtewng on June 04, 2011, 07:01:48 PM
We did have a lot of the planning done but I don't have the documents any more.

And IF we are to do this again I think we should reorganise a skype group again and get everything planned out again before we run off building engines and generally going off in a disorganised rabble.

I still have all our documents and files of the project :D (yay for never cleaning up my hard drive! :D ) and yeah, we were definitely making better progress when on skype

Niwantaw

Oh sod it lets just see how many people are interested. I'll set up a new thread and see just how many people are actually interested in the project if we have another shot at it.
Only mostly AWOL.

Kerame Pxel Nume

So I suggest we agree on a date for a Skype chat, as I'm usually don't keep Skype running all the time.

Eywayä lì'u

Well we used to basically run off the principle of being online when you can, and that seemed to work, what's your skype username kerame?

Kerame Pxel Nume

Quote from: Eywayä lì'u on June 05, 2011, 05:24:55 PM
Well we used to basically run off the principle of being online when you can, and that seemed to work, what's your skype username kerame?

I created a (new) Skype user account "keramepxelnume" – the other account I had I forgot the password for, since I haven't used it in years :P