OUR Avatar Game

Started by Eywayä lì'u, May 29, 2010, 03:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eana Taw atsawl

If you open Excel and press ALT + F11, you get the VBA window. I use that to make more complex macros that couldn't be done with the formula bar. It is a varient of Visual Basic, which is a type of programming language(not designed to make games though). I didn't mean Excel itself (though in the past I have made games on it, but not ones with...err...graphics... They've been RPGs that just use the Document as a calculator, dice and self-changing record sheet!)

Programs that code stuff are usually stand alone things, I know of Notepad++ that works for C++, and VBA comes with all microsoft programs, and you can buy a Visual Basic program (or get the Visual Basic 5.0 CCE for free, which is what I did!)

What we were going to do was take the Unreal Engine (which has already done the hard graft of writing the code for Physics, collision, rendering and so forth) and just add stuff and use the wizard to put it together.

But now, thanks to Kerame Pxel Nume, we have the opertunity to have our own engine. Now that is way out of my league. Putting stuff together using a handy interface like UDK: I could learn to do.
Writing code for things like randomising numbers, calculating damage by factoring in criticals, armour, etc: I've done before
Learning to help make an engine FROM SCRATCH?: Over my head.

Sorry for any confusion about the Excel thing, that was just a demonstration of how sh*t my programming credentials are. :D

Only a heretic brings a gun to a swordfight
                               But only a moron brings a sword to a gunfight

GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into you're sig and add 1 to the generation

Kerame Pxel Nume

Quote from: Eana Taw atsawl on May 31, 2010, 12:24:52 PM
But now, thanks to Kerame Pxel Nume, we have the opertunity to have our own engine. Now that is way out of my league. Putting stuff together using a handy interface like UDK: I could learn to do.
Writing code for things like randomising numbers, calculating damage by factoring in criticals, armour, etc: I've done before
Learning to help make an engine FROM SCRATCH?: Over my head.
As noted, give me a couple of hours (could be a few days) for a first proof of concept for the triangular patch terrain system (minus editor, just a display of a randomly generated terrain).

Tsteu'itan

Oh, I see.  :>  That's cool, then.  hehehe  Sadly, I don't even know the basics behind any of that, I'm such a bad, bad nerd.

I can't wait to see what you do for the PoC.  I know it can take a loooong time, though, depending on how things go and the program itself.  I'm just super excited about this.  I've been looking more and more into indie gaming lately after I found an entire group of fan-made games for the Legacy of Kain games - which is my favorite series - but none of those were actually finished, so I'd love love loooove to see this one taken as high as the stars!  :D

Niwantaw

right then
someone A) set up an IRC thingymabob and B) tell me where i can get the software for it
Only mostly AWOL.

swiräk

Since that forum is some kind of nerdy, I think some users here are using linux. So what about an engine like Ogre, or Crystalspace?

sure, you have to programm alot yourself, but you will learn many. I can try, but Im very bad at c. So I'm asking for some skilled programmer, who could do that.

Kerame Pxel Nume

IMHO Crystalspace has a quite old-fashiond design. Then there's Irrlicht. But none of these can deal with vast landscapes or long view distance.

Ogre is more like a engine framework, i.e. you can code engines with it, but it won't do anything itself. Personally I don't like it.

Eywayä lì'u

sorry I haven't been keeping up with the thread

tsteuitan, we need all the help we can get :) any good at art? You could do concepts for areas of the map.
Oe prrkxentrrkrr ngeyä sa'nok!

GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Eywayä lì'u

After much deliberation on Skype, we've come up with a title, but still deciding some details about storyline
title is "fwela tukru : tswamä' ayatxkxe"

which translates to "Broken Spear : The forgotten Lands"

GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Tsteu'itan

Quote from: Eywayä lì'u on May 31, 2010, 02:30:43 PM
sorry I haven't been keeping up with the thread

tsteuitan, we need all the help we can get :) any good at art? You could do concepts for areas of the map.

Eh, that's debatable.  I'm an artist, yes, but i don't know if I would be any good at concept art for what you guys are planning.  If you want to take a look, my gallery on DA is http://fanatical-chick.deviantart.com/.

I haven't posted any Avatar things, though I have done a couple of Na'vi sketches of my character, and one random Na'vi.  I'll post them in a minute for you to see.  I'm mostly a 3-D artist, though, so don't expect amazing things.  :/  My GF is better then me, but I doubt she'd be into joining.

Just...Sweet Jesus, avoid my Scraps!  They're eye poison!   :P

And...uh...Sorry for the few slash/boy-love/girl-love images I have if you're not into that stuff.  >_>

Kerame Pxel Nume

People who like to participate in 3D modeling should get familiar with Blender. I admit, that the UI looks a but confusing at first, but once you got the hang of it, it's hard to go back, err use other 3D modellers.

Eywayä lì'u

And...uh...Sorry for the few slash/boy-love/girl-love images I have if you're not into that stuff.  >_>
[/quote]

meh who cares, and 3-d art is kind of better (computer or hand?) because we plan on this certainly being 3D

Eywayä lì'u

lol I failed at quoting

Tsteu'itan

Quote from: Eywayä lì'u on May 31, 2010, 03:12:29 PM

meh who cares, and 3-d art is kind of better (computer or hand?) because we plan on this certainly being 3D
[/quote]

I've never had a chance to really seriously play with 3D computer art, other then downloading and monkeying around with Daz3d for all of an hour one time.  It's all physical objects like pottery and doll-making and welding for me.  I'd love to take a class on things like digital 3-D art, but I've never had the money/a chance to as none of the colleges I attended had anything other then photoshop photomanipulation classes.  9_9

Eywayä lì'u

you should just google some tutorial or something :)
what skills do you have in anything fiction-related?

Tsteu'itan

I am actually an avid writer.  It's the one thing I love more then making art.  I've never finished a novel, but I have one in mind, and fan-fiction makes me happy.  I have a few literary things in my gallery.

Here is a link to the first part of my unfinished FFX/FFXII crossover fic.  There's three parts in the gallery.
Part 2
Part 3

This is the start of an unfinished Transformers fiction I have going, as well.  I have others, but at this point, those are the ones that make me cringe the least.  :P  I'll be the first to admit that it's probably pretty awkward at times.  Like anyone, I could use a lot of work.

Kerame Pxel Nume

Quote from: Tsteuitan on May 31, 2010, 03:14:55 PM
I've never had a chance to really seriously play with 3D computer art, other then downloading and monkeying around with Daz3d for all of an hour one time.  It's all physical objects like pottery and doll-making and welding for me.  I'd love to take a class on things like digital 3-D art, but I've never had the money/a chance to as none of the colleges I attended had anything other then photoshop photomanipulation classes.  9_9

The Internet is a great resource:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro

Eywayä lì'u

we've created a basic plot, maybeyou could help alex in fleshing it out into a proper story?

got skype? join us

Tsteu'itan

Ooh, thanks for the link.  :D  I'll try blender this time.  I just had no idea what I was doing when I started jumping into daz3d, so it did me little good.

I don't have Skype, but I can look into getting an account.  Give me a bit.

Kerame Pxel Nume

About the plot. The engine I'm projecting is mainly a sandbox, but shall also allow for implementing custom game modes. So if we go for a custom engine, then the whole story arc would be such a custom game mode.

The nice thing about such a sandbox is, that aside being great fun itself it also is a great way to collaboratively create closed story arcs. (That's basically how WoW works, one large big world, solely created by Blizzard though, and within that world ever changing and new quests).

Anyway the first step is creating a lot of models, concept art, textures and so on. Don't flesh out the story too much at this point. It may turn out, that certain things that looked good on paper, fail miserably in the game. (Just look at HL2 and the Hydra enemy. Looks cool in the Video, but is a PITA to play against, so Valve did cut it in the end).

To get started, a good thing was, if people were creating props. The good thing about props is, that they are rather independent from the actual game engine and can be easily converted. Character models are a lot harder to model and to integrate, so should be second task. Then comes the world/maps which are tightly coupled to the used technology, so creating them should be the last step.

I think some people might have guessed, that I helped in the development of some game mods, mainly for the old Half-Life 1 and Quake3Arena, I never got on good terms with the Source SDK.

Eywayä lì'u

yeah, source can sometimes be a pain. I think we want to really flesh out what exactly we're trying to make before we make any models or textures because what's the point in making something completely irrelevant to the final product, it's not very resourceful. Kerame, seen as you know your way around engines a bit, wanna be Engine and physics lead, although you're kind aalready established as such :)