OUR Avatar Game

Started by Eywayä lì'u, May 29, 2010, 03:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Niwantaw

"not on vet benefits... not in this economy"
*couldn't pass up a chance to quote the film*

anyway WE'RE ONTO THE DRAWING CONCEPTS STATE PPL!
(i think)
Only mostly AWOL.

Eywayä lì'u

WOOOH! Concepts! Yay!

what time would be good for you mel?
Oe prrkxentrrkrr ngeyä sa'nok!

GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Ikranä mokri

Am I that easy to forget ?? must be XD, but 8/9 would be ok for me- if i can get away from my parents bugging me about my PC-

Tirea Tskoyä has a new look see it[url=http://forum.learnnavi.org/fiction-

Eana Taw atsawl

I can't draw. Not at all. Chi-bi bunnies are my limit (and thats only because I practiced  ;D)

...so I'm unlikely to be any help. I'll still be on and if there is any odd jobs people want me to do I will, but I'm next to useless until we start writing the levels in detail.

I apologise for my lack of artistic abilities.  :(
Only a heretic brings a gun to a swordfight
                               But only a moron brings a sword to a gunfight

GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into you're sig and add 1 to the generation

Niwantaw

i can't draw either.....

but I'm having a crack at it
Only mostly AWOL.

Eywayä lì'u

same, I can't draw for my life!

GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

bommel

Making a community game is an awesome idea!
I can't draw, too, but I'm fluent in different programming languages (I'm coding for 10 years now, C/C++, C#, Java, VB .Net, some x86 asm skills), I also work as an professional developer beside my studies. So if you need coders, I'll look what I can do for you!

I've got some experience with Blender but that's mainly on how to handle the UI. Haven't created that much (complex) models. But hey, I've made a spinning cube with parrallax occlusion mapping  ;D

Eywa ngahu

Eywayä lì'u

yay another coder!! we're in desperate need of them!

Got skype bommel? If so we've got a group going on there

swiräk

well, Im mainly a 3d artist, but I can speak python (not "shhhh")

|  |
  \  /
   V

Kerame Pxel Nume

Quote from: bommel on June 04, 2010, 08:50:49 AM
Making a community game is an awesome idea!
I can't draw, too, but I'm fluent in different programming languages (I'm coding for 10 years now, C/C++, C#, Java, VB .Net, some x86 asm skills), I also work as an professional developer beside my studies. So if you need coders, I'll look what I can do for you!

I've got some experience with Blender but that's mainly on how to handle the UI. Haven't created that much (complex) models. But hey, I've made a spinning cube with parrallax occlusion mapping  ;D

Eywa ngahu
Ah great, someone there to help. Did you read my other post? Do you know GLib/GObject? If not, please read the documentation, the engine will be built around those:

GLib provides all the stuff you need in modern applications: Safely contained types, process and thread management, advanced memory allocation, signal and message passing and dynamic modules.
http://library.gnome.org/devel/glib/stable/

GObject builds on GLib, and implements a modern OOP scheme, with introspection, reflection, type safe object marshalling
http://library.gnome.org/devel/gobject/stable/

GIO build on GObject, implementing and providing VFS objects
http://library.gnome.org/devel/gio/stable/

Pango, used for text layouting and rendering
http://library.gnome.org/devel/pango/stable/

And Clutter for the GUI/HUD,
http://www.clutter-project.org/docs/clutter/stable/

The nice thing about GLib/GObject/GIO/Pango/Clutter is, that they're available on Linux, *BSD, Windows, and MacOS X, so the whole thing will be truly cross plattform. I'm going to stitch together a project development environment, containing all the libraries, integrated in the build system. Prerequisites for development are installed and in the $PATH:

* GCC+bunutils (MinGW for Windows, all the other OS come with it)
- optionally on Windows the Platform SDK, together with the Microsoft C compiler
* Git (source control, version management)
* Python (all purpose scripting)
* scons (build system)

I'm going to open a repository on github.

bommel

Okay, I'll have a look at those sites and your earlier posts!

Tsteu'itan

Anybody here named kroskesbaget?  Was just wondering, since I got an add request from that person, and I don't know them.  >_>

Payoang

Eywayä lì'u

Eywayä lì'u

Although, why game modes?

there's only the main rpg game

bommel

Cool =)
Hope I find some time to contribute! In less than a month I've got a few exams to pass so atm I'm quite busy with learning.

Kerame Pxel Nume

Quote from: Eywayä lì'u on June 05, 2010, 04:38:48 AM
Although, why game modes?

there's only the main rpg game
Please wait for a more elaborate post by me, what this has to mean. This is something I had on my mind for a very long time (to be specific, since I played EVE for the very first time). In short, I was always disappointed that MMORPGs would let you build your character but not allow you introduce new elements or concepts into the world. Say you want your character leave some hidden quest for the other participants, in a paper and pencil RPG you could give your quest to the dungeon master, which may include it into the main game.

MMORPGs won't allow you that. They are centralized and you're basically limited to what the master gives you.

The engine I envisioned (and until recently I had no idea how to implement, but the project Levitation-Wiki (google it) gave me the hi(n)t in the right direction) would be a fully distriuted system: No central servers, all content created by the players. Based on the content in the game one could fork all this as a dungeon master with own game modes - or implement quests, push them back into the game system, and those who already perform as masters can easily integrate that. Think about it like a wikipedia style game.

A game mode would be such kind of quest, but as the game develops further each new quest would be another game mode, based on previous modes.

You think this as extremely difficult to implement: Well such technology exists and is in widespread use, though not for a game but software development. It's called Git and the way I described the way the game would develop is quite about the same way, Linux develops.

swiräk

could somebody please invite me to the skypechat?

my skype is pharno_

thanks

Tsamsiyu92

The world of pandora will probably be a pain-in-the-ass challange for the modellers and texturers.

bommel

Quote from: Tsamsiyu92 on June 08, 2010, 06:25:35 AM
The world of pandora will probably be a pain-in-the-ass challange for the modellers and texturers.
True. But we can use the movie somwhat like a template to model all the stuff so we don't need to invent our own vegetation etc - or at least not so much ;)