Started by Swok Txon, January 06, 2010, 11:35:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swok Txon

spot on!

If they made an MMORPG there should be a like LearnNavi guild LOL

Satthar

Just a little reminder, the 13 dollar/euro (or whatever it is now...) is very much a standard fee for monthly-based subscription systems in MMOs.

Kretän had some great ideas, but if you ask me... no. Just no. IF it were to work, it would need to be EXTREMELY well thought up so that it is something completely unique in the genre and fitting in the Avatar setting. And the only chance for me not being severely pissed about Avatar being made into a money-machine MMO would be if it were made perfect, in a way, as I said, completely unique and keeping the magic of the movie. Which is actually very hard for me to imagine.

MMOs just tend to wind up mindless. I'm not a hater - I've spent my share of MMO gaming in my short life, and I really enjoyed some of the social/teamwork/challenge aspect. I just don't wanna take even the slightest chance of spoiling the magic :) Before making up my mind on the thought that Cameron really knows what he's doing and that he actually is capable of pulling off Avatar 2 as even better than the original movie, I was even wholeheartedly against the idea of making a sequel, so go figure.

But an Avatar setting for a P&P RPG, that's more like it. But once again, not without a heavenly creative GM =p

Nìftxavang

Quote from: Swok Txon on January 06, 2010, 11:35:49 PM
Does anybody here reckon it would be flippin' sweet to have an Avatar MMORPG

I reckon the learning of the language would be awesome to apply in an MMO, the beautiful landscapes and all that would be fun as well.

It could be a Human race and a Na'vi race...or you could choose from various tribes of Na'vi

Anybody reckon that would be a sweet idea?  ;D

As some may know, i am a 3D game developer at a studio near where i live, i have actually spoken to my boss about private projects, he said it would be fine for me to do any.

I have both DirectX and networking experiance, i could make an mmo like this, although i doubt i could get permission from fox.
On top of legal issues, i would struggle to get assets (i am no artist lol).

Nice idea, i will probably look into it - if i do i will happily report back here.

judytuna

Quote from: Kretän on January 07, 2010, 06:42:10 PM
When I actually watched the film for the first time, one of my first thoughts (aside from being in a stat of complete awe) was "I wish there was a mmorpg game like this!"

But the thought was mainly because I just wanted to be able to run around in the world of Pandora! :P

That's exactly how I felt!!! There's nothing I want more than to run around in that world. We could sit on tree branches and practice speaking Na'vi and whack each other on the head. Total sandbox and beautiful scenery with floating mountains is all I want, I guess. I use WoW as a glorified chat client these days.

Though I do love your ideas, Kretän, about some kind of a persistent world, with the balance shifting between RDA and Na'vi. haha. If only...

And Étienne, we should totally all go troll hunter somewhere. It wouldn't be good to hang around, though, since you'd have to pick a server, and everyone would eventually go back to their normal ones. So I thought of Eve-online, which I barely played years ago, and how I love that the game world isn't sharded, so players can find anyone they want. Are there RDA-roleplaying guilds in Eve yet? I loved the art in Eve.

/ramble. Think about how spoiled we are. We don't want just a forum to talk in text... we want -avatars- that can wave and jump and head-whack and ride banshees and... and.... =)

Tsway'eion

If avatar was turned into an MMO, the only way i would ever even consider buying the game, is if the MMO was just as Groundbreaking as the movie was, i want something new and innovative not some MMO someone decided to throw together. That being said, you would have to completely redefine MMO's in order for it to be interesting to me.

No Farming, No leveling, But there are many other ways to have fun in a MMO, and a lot of them are mentioned in this thread... but MMO's could still be 10x better than what they are now.

Motxokxen

i think at it's current universe, making a avatar MMO would not work well. moves the become MMOS usually have an extensive back story, star wars, star trek, LOTR, but right now Avatar's story/universe is just not expansive enough.

Netslummer

I'd leave World of Warcraft for an Avatar MMORPG
I'm Nick

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

I don't think we have the technology to make an mmo worthy for the beauty of Pandora.
Naruto Shippuden Episode 166: Confession
                                    Watch it, Love it, Live it

Tsway'eion

Quote from: Nìwotkrr Tsahameylu on January 14, 2010, 09:07:10 PM
I don't think we have the technology to make an mmo worthy for the beauty of Pandora.

I agree entirely.

Ayzìsìt Alenantang

nah... you just can'y let online gamers be na'vi.

"this big tree is stupid lol"

"omfg i'm blue that so dumb"

"you're human, right?"

"I know na'vi. oaejrnhgagn! that's "hello""

"u killz human lol"
"Tìfnu! Oel ngati tspang!"
"Silance! I kill you!"
~Achmed, the dead terrorist.

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

Quote from: Ayzìsìt Alenantang on January 15, 2010, 03:08:31 PM
nah... you just can'y let online gamers be na'vi.

"this big tree is stupid lol"

"omfg i'm blue that so dumb"

"you're human, right?"

"I know na'vi. oaejrnhgagn! that's "hello""

"u killz human lol"

That's not na'vi... that's german [/sarcasm]  :D

(Hooray for new smilies!)
Naruto Shippuden Episode 166: Confession
                                    Watch it, Love it, Live it

Reav

One of the first things that went through my head when I was finshed with the movie (other than how awesome it was)
Was how great of an MMO this could be. Alot of people here disagree simply because of the ''NO MAGICS NO RPG'' or what ever.

There are plenty of mmos out there that are not World of Warcraft and do not have any ''magic'' what so ever.

It has plenty of ways to go. Levelling system or no levelling system- or maybe something slightly closer to the way you get stronger in eve, but with rather needing to practice the skill to earn it.

For Na'vi sided people: Big story arc quests, Hunting, Clan forming/joining, War with RDA sided players/NPCs, Fishing, cooking, learning the language. Boss fights such as some of the fights seen in the movie no ''single'' boss character that is near invulnerable to less than 20 people :P that idea was always silly to me.

RDA- Defending resources from any and all pandorian wild life, more story arc quests, joining certain parts of the RDA from security, Scientific, Resource managment etc, War with hostile Na'vi players and NPCs, same type of ''boss fights'' but from the other side ;)

The movie is centred around the whole ''Avatar'' and the player coming into the world as a person looking to start anew on pandora seems the best way to go, with maybe a starter arc to decide which side you take, the Na'vi or the RDA.  
I know most of the people from this site would pick a certain side, me included but I am sure there are plenty of others fans out there that would quite happily play for the RDA, many people enjoy the idea of being the ''bad guys''.

I have plenty of ideas about it most are hard to put into text but i really think that this will be coming anyway.

Star wars has been made into two MMOs, LOTR was made into an mmo because of the movies, Star Treck is becoming an MMO too with help from the Movie's that came out last year.

JC stated he wanted to make the Pandora-pedia before going fourth to make more things like books/games/etc, that was from a recent interview.
So once he has fleshed out all the rules of the Avatar universe it would not surprise me in the slightest that you hear word of the Avatar MMO in development.  (current more un-official Pandorapedia http://www.pandorapedia.com/doku.php)

Another thing that I'd be personally excited about is RP as the Na'vi using the actual language. A great place to learn and use your skills right there.

Kretän

Reav, I think I would have to agree with everything you just said! Great ideas! :D

Damn, you got me all excited waiting for this game now! :O

^^

Swok Txon

O.o nice insight there Reav

if only a MMO company was looking directly at your post right....NOW

lol

Na'rìng

What if the sky people brought a virus that the native plants/animals cannot fight off, and in the long run, mutates and become a serious threat to the non-mutated life on Pandora? With that, you could really get creative!

For example: what if the Na'Vi find out later in the game the virus was artificially create to basically destroy all life on Pandora so the sky people can harvest the element unoptanium? And what if the virus mutates (evolves) and starts mutating the sky people? How about incorporation of the technology the sky people brought with them? Forced cross-breeding caused by the virus that creates new 'species'? How about superspecies that utilizes unoptanium?

The possibilities are endless!

----------

More ideas: what if the mutated life has its own network, like a mutated form of Eywa's network? What if grounded, non-mutated sky people have no choice but to ally with the natives (that would be very intriguing indeed!)? What would happen if a native animal tshalu's (I feel like I'm missing a letter in the last word...) with a mutant, and visa-versa?
----------
Eywa ngahu, and I hope it never happens on Earth!
Eywa ngahu ma smukan.
Eywa'evengä yawne lu oeru.

It kraon. XD!!! (Speak it the Na'vi way)

Unila kelkuyu si

Avatar MMO would be soooo amazing...*sigh/longing*!   r u thinking more of a 3D World of Warcraft/AION kind of thing or a 2D/sidescroller like Rognarok Online?

Na'rìng

I'm thinking a 3D MMORPG, but not like WoW. The game has to have an evolved MMORPG system. It wold be like a mix of 'adventure', 'mmorpg', and 'racing (air, ground, and possibly water)'. Make the game right, and it would not only bea huge success but also attract more fans on the Avatar trilogy, making Fox very happy.

But how it would done, would be one heck of a challenge. And if it does work, making games like that would be trivially easy, because the game core would already exist. And imagine the feeling of that accomplishment!
Eywa ngahu ma smukan.
Eywa'evengä yawne lu oeru.

It kraon. XD!!! (Speak it the Na'vi way)

Swok Txon

yeah man 3D!

you could run and climb and swing on the trees and branches

explore the vast landscape that is pandora and fight off the RDA

ohhhh if only *longing sigh*

Ezy Ryder

Well, I'm a CPP Programmer and I know something 'bout it. Firstly, it's not so easy to write too many options for player, especially in MMORPGs. Secondly it is writable.

Swok Txon

ya i no i no CPP as well and im making a FPS