Warning for people considering purchasing the retail version of The Witcher 2

Started by 'Itan Atxur, May 28, 2011, 02:35:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

'Itan Atxur

I purchased this game and didn't read all the system requirements (once I made it past all the normal stuff I stopped reading).

However, it all those other requirements that normally don't matter if you've purchased a computer this decade, there is one that does. Your disk drive needs to be compatible with DVD9. My computer (which easily runs and installs from disk such large and graphics intensive games as Crysis and GTA: IV) isn't compatible.

However, from what I've heard, the devs are giving out free full downloads to people like me who made this stupid mistake.

Moral of the story: Read ALL the requirements!!

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

Technowraith

Problem is, your hardware/software may not tell you if you're compatible to DVD09 or not. I recently (within 3 months) replaced an older DVD drive, and it's specs say nothing about DVD09. Maybe it's a software thing then?
See that shadow? It's the last one you're gonna see.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

'Itan Atxur

It was a hardware issue. I installed the game perfectly on a different computer. That being said, the company has great customer service. They gave me a free download code for Gog.com so I got the game running perfectly on my gaming computer.

Sіr. Ηaxalot

I don't think that it's the whole issue. You are aware that DVD9 are the most common DVD format? and that it is used for basically ALL movies and gamed today?

'Itan Atxur

That's interesting. Sounds like there's no reason my disk drive shouldn't be DVD9 compatible. So it may have been a printing issue.

Sіr. Ηaxalot

Yeah, it's probably some printing issue, or maybe something strange with the device itself. I know that I had an DVD-reader that was kinda twitchy with those things, it wasn't able to read most game discs, but I don't think that movies or burned copies ever were a problem.

If you want to do a defenitive test, the Avatar disc is a DVD9, if that works, your disk drive supports DVD9. :)

'Itan Atxur