Eve Online

Started by bagget00, March 24, 2010, 05:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bagget00

I used to play EVE Online. It was a great game, but I ran out of extra spendable cash. When I'm back to a good place, I will start going there again.

Watch the opening video.
http://play.eveonline.com/en/home.aspx

This video is better.
EvE Revelations II - Trailer

Has anybody else played this?

(all videos are real gameplay footage.)
"meoauniaea" (meh-oh-ah-oo-nee-ah-eh-ah). "Don't ask me what it means - I haven't assigned a meaning yet. But I love the word!" Frommer said.

"Latin and Zombies. Technically dead, but still influencing society."

Author of http://forum.learnnavi.org/fiction-fanfiction/displayed/

Tsa'räni

I play EVE on and off.  Not all that seriously, just messing around with various aspects of it.

bagget00

Which faction are you?
"meoauniaea" (meh-oh-ah-oo-nee-ah-eh-ah). "Don't ask me what it means - I haven't assigned a meaning yet. But I love the word!" Frommer said.

Tsa'räni

Gallente.  Sometimes I let it sit idle for a while, then come back, etc.  I'm not in a player corp or anything.  I mostly run missions when the mood strikes (L3's, I don't have the skills or funds for BS yet).

bagget00

I used to be in a corp called damage incorporated. I was Gallente as well. We ran out of Dodixie. I had a few BS's and ran L4's solo. I also wanted to do an L5 but heard hey weren't worth it. My name was Guy Ahkinz, if you want to hang when I start it up again.

DJ Makto

Woot, I knew there had to be a few EVE online players here.  ;D

I have played EVE for about 6 years straight now.

Anyways for any EVE online players and LearnNa'vi enthusiasts I have created a ingame channel "Learn Na'vi"
Feel free to join and chat.

Looking forward to seeing more EVE online players here..

Eywa ngahu!

bagget00

Like, I said, when I have more freed up money, I will re-join. As for now, add me to your friends list. I am Guy Ahkinz.

So Kunsìp Makto, what sec level are you and where is your home base? Whats your specialty, mining, trade, war, corp battle, or pirating?

DJ Makto

Quote from: bagget00 on March 25, 2010, 08:00:51 PM
Like, I said, when I have more freed up money, I will re-join. As for now, add me to your friends list. I am Guy Ahkinz.

So Kunsìp Makto, what sec level are you and where is your home base? Whats your specialty, mining, trade, war, corp battle, or pirating?
Already added you.

Heh after six years I can pretty much say that I have done it all, right now I am splitting my time between being a -10 pirate and doing pvp in general (preferably solo) and trading in Jita to keep my accounts going with GTCs. So I suppose I earn the title evil pirate who speaks Na'vi? Which drives my corpies up the wall (though I have one convert already--alas he is too shy to make a LearnNa'vi.org forum account :( )

Yeah so I suppose I can say that I am either in Jita trading or some other low sec pvping. Oh, I also recently started organizing inter-alliance tourneys, recording videos of the event and then posting on youtube with voice commentary. Though with a few more weeks of studying Na'vi I hope to start posting Na'vi ni'aw voice commentary versions of the matches. I will probably post them here so I can get some critique on my pronunciation and word usage.

tl;dr I'm a hardcore pvper that also trades.  ;D

MaTe

I played it abit and hate the single worst aspect of it: waiting. everything takes SO MUCH TIME! waiting for a target, waiting till you get to that system. It's like 30 minutes of waiting for combat to start, and then it's over in 5 minutes max. ARGH!
tried alot:
lowsec pirate corp, lowsec anti-pirate corp, doing plexes in low in recons, doing 4th and 5th missions, L5 wormhole corp.
did not get to faction wars though.

you can do amarr 5th in low with 2 accounts on BSes (mael + apoc in t2 or lower fit and 1 year worth of skills), can do most of amarr 4th in harbinger with 6 months worth of skills and t2 fit.

was funny to see someone warping to the location of level 5, scanning BSes(meta 2 or t2 modules), waiting (guess talking to friends) and jumping out of system. happened multiple times %)

Would not return there unless they change game design to reduce wait - need "put me in combat with at least 10% chance of winning NOW" button.

Where is my NDD fix?
some people juggle geese...

DJ Makto

Quote from: MaTe on March 25, 2010, 11:11:50 PM
I played it abit and hate the single worst aspect of it: waiting. everything takes SO MUCH TIME! waiting for a target, waiting till you get to that system. It's like 30 minutes of waiting for combat to start, and then it's over in 5 minutes max. ARGH!
tried alot:
lowsec pirate corp, lowsec anti-pirate corp, doing plexes in low in recons, doing 4th and 5th missions, L5 wormhole corp.
did not get to faction wars though.

you can do amarr 5th in low with 2 accounts on BSes (mael + apoc in t2 or lower fit and 1 year worth of skills), can do most of amarr 4th in harbinger with 6 months worth of skills and t2 fit.

was funny to see someone warping to the location of level 5, scanning BSes(meta 2 or t2 modules), waiting (guess talking to friends) and jumping out of system. happened multiple times %)

Would not return there unless they change game design to reduce wait - need "put me in combat with at least 10% chance of winning NOW" button.

Yeah EVE is one of those games that requires lots of patience and tactical planning. Its kinda like chess, you have to plan a few moves ahead to reap the rewards, and even then the best plans can fail.

MaTe

that planning is exactly what I did not like %) I prefer to blow stuff up when I get to launch a game on computer.
Though I do like strategy games (starting with Civ, Moo, mom, through panzer general, Stars!(did a fair share of matches).

BTW: If you like "pure" strategy games, try www.massiveassaultnetwork.com or it's PvE version www.domination-game.com
Where is my NDD fix?

kxanì tsamsiyu

Well i have just started to play it on the free trail, its very complex but good at the same. I think im in Deepari, is it? well it says i should not be there because i have only just started.

Tsa'räni

Make sure you do the various tutorial missions they've added.  They give you a decent amount of starting credits, some good overviews of how parts of the game work, and some starter ships.  EVE will never be easy to learn, but they've done a good job at helping new players ease in a little better.

DJ Makto

Quote from: Tsa'räni on March 30, 2010, 07:53:22 AM
Make sure you do the various tutorial missions they've added.  They give you a decent amount of starting credits, some good overviews of how parts of the game work, and some starter ships.  EVE will never be easy to learn, but they've done a good job at helping new players ease in a little better.

Yep that is good advice. Though I will suggest joining EVE University one you finish all the basic tutorial missions they are excellent at picking and teaching where the tutorials left off. Also feel free to convo/mail me ingame or join the ingame channel "Learn Na'vi" if you have any question, they are excellent at picking and teaching where the tutorials left off.

My ingame names are a few posts above this one.

MaTe

Or better stop playing it and go to a "properly designed" MMO like WOW  :P
Where is my NDD fix?

DJ Makto

Quote from: MaTe on March 30, 2010, 11:05:50 AM
Or better stop playing it and go to a "properly designed" MMO like WOW  :P

Lol.

Must... not... bash... WOW... on... this... forum...  ;D

MaTe

Common, bite it already!
Where is my NDD fix?

Tsamsiyu92

Quote from: MaTe on March 30, 2010, 11:05:50 AM
Or better stop playing it and go to a "properly designed" MMO like WOW  :P

I enjoyed playing the trial of WoW for the first 8 days (of 10). Then i gave up and turned it of on the ninth day. I was a night-elf warrior, level 16, on Darkshore having 7 quests at the same time.

The reasson why i quit was the combat system, even ubisofts everbashed Avatar the game had a better combat system, even Zelda on N64 lol. I hated clicking on the enemies and clicking numbers.

Other than that, it looks perfect, the character looks like alive and the traveling system is incredible. So i'll say it would be better if the player could swing the sword and hurt whatever the sword hits, not one selected enemy in particular, if it had been like that, i would have been a crazy addict by now.

It's by far underrated by haters and the ones who play it a lot, don't mention the combat system when i ask how it is, sorry WoW, you did not addict me....in fact, no game has addicted me...

MaTe

It's a huge technical problem to have FPS/action style targeting(or lack of it) in a massively multiplayer game that allows 50+ players near each-other. A few examples that are there are complete fail - you'll see your fireballs flying through enemies, not hitting anything, or hitting stuff that's not visible on your screen - all due to lag.

use 'Tab' and number keys on keyboard - way more convenient than mouse clicking... actually, use mouse only to look around.
also, warrior is hardest to level, especially if you don't know how to play it.
Where is my NDD fix?

DJ Makto

Quote from: MaTe on April 04, 2010, 03:43:00 PM
It's a huge technical problem to have FPS/action style targeting(or lack of it) in a massively multiplayer game that allows 50+ players near each-other. A few examples that are there are complete fail - you'll see your fireballs flying through enemies, not hitting anything, or hitting stuff that's not visible on your screen - all due to lag.

use 'Tab' and number keys on keyboard - way more convenient than mouse clicking... actually, use mouse only to look around.
also, warrior is hardest to level, especially if you don't know how to play it.

Agreed I even notice similar issues in multiplayer modes in normal games. And of course using hot keys or keyboard keys when ever possible helps tremendously in almost every MMO I have played.