So... PSN has been taken down by a group of hackers.

Started by 'Itan Atxur, April 21, 2011, 10:18:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExLibrisMortis

Quote from: 'Itan Atxur on May 03, 2011, 08:35:18 AM
I hope I don't come off as argumentative. I'm not disagreeing for the sake of argument. I just... disagree.

And you're not, the atmosphere of the disagreement has been quite pleasurable, not for the sake of arguing, but just the semantics involved. I appreciate it.

I have been involved with video games and their ilk for many, many years. Ever since this generation of consoles came out, it's always been that if you wanted amazing graphics/the best rpg's you buy a PS3, if you want family fun and very homely/tasteful gaming you buy a Wii, if you want the multiplayer value and experience you get an Xbox 360. That's how its always been and most likely will stay that way.

Quote from: Eanikran te Txuronyu Ateyo'itan on May 03, 2011, 06:43:42 AM
In any case, 77million peoples' sensitive info was potentially obtained by these hackers, and that alone should mean a load of compensation.

The PSN being shut down majorly hampers the PS3's functionality for most people who bought it. It's as simple as this:

If I buy something, and continue to put money into it in any way shape or form, I expect it to function. If it does not, I expect it to be made up in some way, so I don't feel like my money is wasted.

If you know anything about computers is that any system that is online, or is a computer -can- be broken into/hacked. Nothing is safe. That's just plain fact. If you really want to get into one, you can. I'm pretty sure that Sony had those databases locked up pretty good and encryption software and hardware on there was top notch.

Nevertheless, if you buy a car from a dealer, and then sometime during the purchase they state, "Oh by the way, since you bought the car, you can have OnStar for free!" While Onstar is cool with the GPS function and the remote unlocking doors, etc, if Onstar broke, you could still use the car no? Also, you could have purely bought the car because it came with Onstar for free. Yet, if you did do that, it was you that chose to make that the main purchasing point, at which the seller has no obligation to the functionality of that if it was little more than a bonus to the main product.

I believe that Sony took necessary precautions that they did. Taking PSN offline was the smart and responsible decision to have made, and they played well. Them giving the PSN people these little perks for being offline is just good PR, but was unnecessary. Yeah many people feel like they deserve this for PSN being offline, my question remains that what makes the PSN users so deserving of this? They saved many people from identity theft. In exchange for a few weeks of an online system going offline containing nothing more than pixels and electrons.

Quote from: Brainiac on May 03, 2011, 06:22:35 AM
If the PSN becomes P2P, they'd lose 80% of their already diminished fans.
I'd stop using it, for one.

Yeah well, thats what all the people said last time Sony switched to P2P with their Sony station games. Yet, they only lost 15% of the people that played with the majority of them switching into the P2P format. And this was back in the day when they didn't have big games such as Hellzone and COD.

Txantslusam Skxawng

I see a lot sites saying PSN will be online today, on 4th of May. ( It's 4 am, so its the 4th of May )

And one sites says it will be online at 22.00 european time, I'm guessing that is 22.00 GMT. Or 10 pm GMT for the people who don't know 24hr clocks.
WirelessTsaheylu=Bluetooth
Inventor of the word NARF

Eanikran

Quote from: Txantslusam Skxawng on May 03, 2011, 08:52:19 PM
I see a lot sites saying PSN will be online today, on 4th of May. ( It's 4 am, so its the 4th of May )

And one sites says it will be online at 22.00 european time, I'm guessing that is 22.00 GMT. Or 10 pm GMT for the people who don't know 24hr clocks.
So it should be up anywhere between today and thursday we'll say, I reallllly don't feel like calculating time difference. XD

So, I heard the "new" PSN will be a lot different than what we're used to. New infrastructure (or something like that, forgot where I read it).

Emtokay

If Nothing In This World Can Change Our Children Will Inherit Nothing

Txantslusam Skxawng

Quote from: Emtokay on May 04, 2011, 02:56:40 AM
Damn, what is 2200GMT in EST?
I dunno, but Australia is somewhere in the GMT +9 area ( if I'm correct ), so it would be around 7 am ( 5th of May ) in Australia. I live in GMT +1 so for its at 11 pm.

Emtokay

I'm GMT+10

So hopefully tomorrow arvy I'll be kicking 12 y/o's ass on BC2 again.

Txantslusam Skxawng

Emtokay

Brainiac

Not online at 12:18 GMT+01, Thursday. (noon, not midnight)

So the 22:00 on wednesday was a hoax.
Speed is a ppoor sbubstitue fo accurancy

Check out my blogif my presence on this board isn't weird enough for you.

Emtokay

Brainiac

Quote from: Emtokay on May 05, 2011, 05:50:54 AM
So is there a real date?

It should have been yesterday. Sony said: "we didn't get the date, but there will be details soon."

Gee, thanks -_-
Speed is a ppoor sbubstitue fo accurancy

Check out my blogif my presence on this board isn't weird enough for you.

Eanikran

It's already at the 3 week mark, this is sh*t. Better be up before Friday.

Emtokay

Quote from: Brainiac on May 05, 2011, 06:05:44 AM
Quote from: Emtokay on May 05, 2011, 05:50:54 AM
So is there a real date?

It should have been yesterday. Sony said: "we didn't get the date, but there will be details soon."

Gee, thanks -_-

I read somewhere that they said by the 10th

'Itan Atxur

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

Eanikran

People need to either stop coming up with bullsh*t dates and posting them all over the internet just to troll people, or Sony needs to HURRY THE F*CK UP and at LEAST tell us when GAMES ALONE will be back up.

Tsamsiyu92

I doubt the hackers had any cause when they resort to stealing personal details and credit/debit-card numbers.

Been checking my bank account often recently as I helped my brother insert 400kr (=70-75$) into his PSN once.

I hope y'all get some kind of conpensation from Sony.

Txantslusam Skxawng

Quote from: Tsamsiyu92 on May 05, 2011, 04:11:32 PM
I doubt the hackers had any cause when they resort to stealing personal details and credit/debit-card numbers.

Been checking my bank account often recently as I helped my brother insert 400kr (=70-75$) into his PSN once.

I hope y'all get some kind of conpensation from Sony.
30 days free PS+

Txantslusam Skxawng

HRH

But I think most of us PS3 classic ( PS3 fat ) users are kinda used to this long without PSN or PS3, YLOD. Like me, the only thing I hated about YLOD, was that I couldn't notify the ppl in my friendslist I was offline for 2 months.

My parents were really surprised I didn't 'missed' my PS3, since I play a lot. I said: "It's not that big of a deal......."

I might play a lot, but I am not addicted, somehow xD