So... PSN has been taken down by a group of hackers.

Started by 'Itan Atxur, April 21, 2011, 10:18:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emtokay

It does come in handy, and you can setup security for it. If you are scared of somebody hacking it through PSN, cancel that card and get a new one sent to you. You'll be safe because the 3-4 digit security code on the back will be different.
If Nothing In This World Can Change Our Children Will Inherit Nothing

'Itan Atxur

They need a REALLY strong E3 to bounce back from this.

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

ExLibrisMortis

The story thus far is as follows. A notorious hacker named GeoHot was being sued by Sony for essentially "jailbreaking" what was considered to be unbreakable, the PS3. GeoHot has had a history of Jailbreaking many devices such as the various iPhones. Most of the jailbreaking software that is out there was developed by Geohot. Within the world of hackers, he's regarded as being one of the best there are out there.

Now, when he finally broke the PS3, he began to distribute the jailbreak out on the internet. Sony then moved for a Cease and Desist order levied against Geohot. Immediately, Geohot denied on the grounds that this is like a consumer buying a computer and not being allowed to add or remove and programs that are placed on said computer. That is essentially what he did to the PS3. He opened up the system to allow you to install other programs that you wish. Once received Geohot's denial, Sony sued him in court.

Prior to the court battle, Geohot came out with this Video: The Light It Up Contest -- geohot

Now, at this point his case became a huge deal amongst the internet community. The infamous hacking organization known as Anonymous came together to take it upon themselves to exact their own level of justice against Sony. Now, Anon is not an organization that the media makes them out to be. They are fighters for the freedom of information, speech, and free transfer of knowledge across the internet. They played a huge part in many of the uprisings in the middle east, and still do. By their efforts are the internet of those middle eastern countries still operate, and the people there in can communicate with each other and lead effective revolutions against their oppressors.

Now I digress. Anonymous took up GeoHot's plight and decided to enact revenge against Sony. That's when this video came out.

Why PS3 Has Been Hacked! LOL!

While its not the original video, its still a complete and direct copy of the original. The original was removed by Youtube after Sony pressured them into doing so.

So, the Sony networks and websites have gotten hit hard. At one point, you could buy anything on the sony store for free. Literally for free. Also, they have been attacking the Sony PSN servers extremely hard and have caused major malfunctions of various hardware systems. Hence why PSN is still down.

Sony and GeoHot have sinced reached a settlement outside of the court, but apart of that settlement was that GeoHot no longer distributes this software out to anyone. Anonymous is not particularly pleased with the results of the settlement, and will continue the attacks until their demands are met.

So ya, I support neither side in this issue. I wholeheartedly believe that each side is reaping the consequences of their actions and will have to deal with them accordingly. I have been paying attention quite closely as its not too often that a huge corporation gets taken on in such a scale, and the events are so publicly made.

And BTW, Anonymous is not limited to 4chan, nor is it limited to a single site.

Eanikran

There were some people able to get on last night, but only a few. When I tried to get on it threw 2 different errors then the third time it was back to saying maintenance.

bommel

Just make sure you change your password as soon as possible - just to be on the safe side. According to Sony even if credit card information has been copied the database containing the security codes is not affected. However, I would recommend keeping an eye on your account anyway.

'Itan Atxur

This is pretty much what my gut has been telling me about the situation. Obviously, I don't have accurate versions of both sides of the story, but I'm almost always inclined to side with those who attack major corporations.

Vawm tsamsiyu

I'd side with the jailbreak guy too, you should have the right to hack the software you buy as much as you want unless you use it to cheat at online games or steal stuff your supposed to buy
they killed the [you] tag

Brainiac

I side with major corporations, on the principle that there has to be at least one out there that doesn't see murdering all their employees as an option in a crisis (despite what hollywood keeps trying to tell me)
Speed is a ppoor sbubstitue fo accurancy

Check out my blogif my presence on this board isn't weird enough for you.

Niwantaw

Quote from: Brainiac on April 27, 2011, 05:36:15 PM
I side with major corporations, on the principle that there has to be at least one out there that doesn't see murdering all their employees as an option in a crisis (despite what hollywood keeps trying to tell me)
Ditto
Only mostly AWOL.

'Itan Atxur

Quote from: Vawm tsamsiyu on April 27, 2011, 05:00:46 PM
I'd side with the jailbreak guy too, you should have the right to hack the software you buy as much as you want unless you use it to cheat at online games or steal stuff your supposed to buy

This^^^

akiwiguy

The thing is that GeoHot's stuff didnt enable piracy at all, and that's one of the things Sony is suing him for.
Ignorant lawyers.

Brainiac

Quote from: Eltu lefngap 'eveng on April 27, 2011, 06:59:55 PM
The thing is that GeoHot's stuff didnt enable piracy at all, and that's one of the things Sony is suing him for.
Ignorant lawyers.
are you surprised? They know as much about computers as scriptwriters do.
Speed is a ppoor sbubstitue fo accurancy

Check out my blogif my presence on this board isn't weird enough for you.

Nyx

Quote from: Vawm tsamsiyu on April 27, 2011, 05:00:46 PM
When you buy something you agree to the terms you bought it under and just not liking those terms doesn't give you the right to do anything except stop using it.

Also, to everyone freaking out about this: keep an eye on your credit card and go out and climb trees! It's good for you

'Itan Atxur

Quote from: Nyx on April 27, 2011, 09:21:04 PM
When you buy something you agree to the terms you bought it under and just not liking those terms doesn't give you the right to do anything except stop using it.

I understand your point of view, but I definitely disagree.

Nowadays, EVERYTHING comes with some type of contract. It's insane. You can't just do stuff anymore, it has to be done a certain way. Not everybody who breaks the rules does so maliciously (and I know you're not implying that).

One example is digital rights management in video games. I should be able to install a game I purchase (new or used) to as many PC's as I own and I should be able to play w/o the disk. But almost EVERY PC game these days has DRM (except for the awesome "Humble Indie Bundles"!!) I'm sick of being told how to use products I've acquired legitimately. If it's not being used for "bad", than it's nobodies business what you do with it. Not even the manufacturers.

You could argue that these companies are within their legal rights to force these rules on us, and I wouldn't disagree. They are within their legal rights. But (to be extreme) so was Selfridge and even Quaritch if I understand it correctly.

Vawm tsamsiyu

Quote from: 'Itan Atxur on April 27, 2011, 10:45:45 PM

Nowadays, EVERYTHING comes with some type of contract. It's insane. You can't just do stuff anymore, it has to be done a certain way. Not everybody who breaks the rules does so maliciously (and I know you're not implying that).

One example is digital rights management in video games. I should be able to install a game I purchase (new or used) to as many PC's as I own and I should be able to play w/o the disk. But almost EVERY PC game these days has DRM (except for the awesome "Humble Indie Bundles"!!) I'm sick of being told how to use products I've acquired legitimately. If it's not being used for "bad", than it's nobodies business what you do with it. Not even the manufacturers.

You could argue that these companies are within their legal rights to force these rules on us, and I wouldn't disagree. They are within their legal rights. But (to be extreme) so was Selfridge and even Quaritch if I understand it correctly.

They shouldn't have the right to put all these restrictions on buying stuff, that's like saying that if you buy some candy the company can say your not allowed to share it and sue you if you do.
Once you sell something then you don't get to control what's done with it

Sіr. Ηaxalot

Quote from: Vawm tsamsiyu on April 27, 2011, 11:55:40 PM

They shouldn't have the right to put all these restrictions on buying stuff, that's like saying that if you buy some candy the company can say your not allowed to share it and sue you if you do.

The big question is since when EULAs gained any legal power whatsoever. The most they should be able to do is to lock him out from PSN, remotely lockdown his console or something like that, not take legal action.

Vawm tsamsiyu

Quote from: Sir. Haxalot on April 28, 2011, 12:05:10 AM
Quote from: Vawm tsamsiyu on April 27, 2011, 11:55:40 PM

The big question is since when EULAs gained any legal power whatsoever. The most they should be able to do is to lock him out from PSN, remotely lockdown his console or something like that, not take legal action.
Exactly just say "ok you can hack your copy of our software if you want, but you won't be able to use it on psn you'll have to use your own network instead.

bommel

But what about piracy? Hacking the console enables piracy and I'm quite sure only a fraction of users are interested in running homebrew or Linux software. Most of them are interested in running copied games, I know enough people who are doing this on other platforms. For me as a software developer who earns his money by developing software it is completely understandable that Sony tries to stop those hackers with all available measures. In my opinion the penalties for committing copyright infringement are still too low. People think it is not that bad to illegally download software (or music, videos) from the Internet but it is thievery like stealing a car :(

ExLibrisMortis

I think people are misunderstanding exactly what GeoHot did. He hacked the OS of the PS3, which even he himself stated was easily patchable, but they didn't patch it. They let it simmer for two months before they thought about doing something to remedy it. What he did to the OS was allow you to change the programs that are on the PS3. Yes its a doorway for cheating, but its like a gun maker, the gun maker is not responsible for the murderer's actions.

Just to clarify too, Anonymous are not the hackers that stole the personal information. The information that was taken were mainly bank account numbers, yet the passwords to those accounts are still safe. Sony has managed to take those databases offline before they were penetrated.

Also, Sony, in the history of the these recent events, have committed some very interesting acts against some of these people. They've done a lot of scare tactics and strong arming to get what they want accomplished.

Another thing, EULA's -DO NOT- have any legal authority at all. Period. Never let a software company tell you otherwise.

Txantslusam Skxawng

But if your hacking something to put stuff on there that wasn't on there before, then why would you even buy it?

I am not going to buy something when I know I can only do does things with it and other things not. And the PS3 had a lot of presentations and stuff, so people knew what they could do with it.

And playing illegal copied games is, like bommel said, low. But back on topic
WirelessTsaheylu=Bluetooth
Inventor of the word NARF