The DOOM Generation

Started by guest2859, May 14, 2011, 05:05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest2859

(Usually Doom 1-3, Hexen 1-2, Heretic, etc...)

Well, Doom is the classic that features 2d characters in a 3d world. Another neat fact is that you can build these games with this program. It's really neat, and I would love to see other people get into this game and designing capability. So, anyone have any wads (game files) they have made, have, or will make?

'Itan Atxur

I love Doom 1 and 2 (I just like Doom 3). I remember trying a Doom editor once but didn't like it. Not sure if it was Doom Builder. I'll have to give it a shot because I love creating maps.

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

Swoka Ikran

I've been developing maps for the Doom engine since 2005 :) IMO, the Doom engine is probably one of the easiest game engines to learn. I'm using the Doom Legacy engine (because it has much better graphics, 3D platform support, and scripting capabilities), and DoomBuilder 1.6.

I'd share my levels, but they're all made for an old, cartoony total conversion known as Chex Quest since that was what I had handy when I started learning to build maps. For some reason, I just never switched to Doom ??? If anyone wants screenshots or the actual levels, I'll post them.

What's really cool though is the fact that the graphics have gotten so much better over the years. The graphics and effects in today's modern engines blow the socks off the stock stuff made by id software.
2010 was the year of the Na'vi.Vivar 'ivong Na'vi!

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

guest2859

Yeah, I work with Doom Builder 1.6 because none of my computers support the 2.0 version. It took me forever to guess doors, and I don't know scripting, except for the excerpt my friend gave me to change the starting weapon from a pistol to a shotgun, and how to use XWE. With XWE, I now have the portal gun in doom. I'll just upload that version of Doom2 if you want the portal gun.

Niwantaw

I've built a few levels for DOOM2

(and was working on an epic level that had some really fancy tricks in it but I never finished it)
Only mostly AWOL.

ExLibrisMortis

Heretic, Hexen, Doom, Duke Nukem, Quake.... I miss all those games! SOOOOOO Much fun!

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Nargacuga on May 15, 2011, 04:19:28 PM
Yeah, I work with Doom Builder 1.6 because none of my computers support the 2.0 version. It took me forever to guess doors, and I don't know scripting, except for the excerpt my friend gave me to change the starting weapon from a pistol to a shotgun, and how to use XWE. With XWE, I now have the portal gun in doom. I'll just upload that version of Doom2 if you want the portal gun.
Doors were also a challenge for me at first, but it turns out, they're just zero-height sectors.

XWE is a pretty powerful app...best wad editor around IMO...does pretty much everything except map editing (that's what DoomBuilder's for :) )

When it comes to DB 1.6 vs 2.0, I also use 1.6 because when I started, my old PC didn't handle 2.0. Now on my new PC, 2.0 doesn't support all the custom game configs I've made, so I won't update.

The scripting is an ugly thing to learn. Took me a little while to get used to it, even with experience in programming, but once you learn it, you can do some really cool things with it. Some things I've done include implementing drowning, creating a monster attack game, and creating alarms.

I can upload some screenshots/examples of my custom stuff if someone's interested. (Mine are built for Chex Quest, but can be adapted rather easily for Doom/Doom2 :) )

Out of curiosity, what game engine do you use? Legacy? ZDoom?

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

'Itan Atxur

Quote from: ExLibrisMortis on May 15, 2011, 05:58:41 PM
Heretic, Hexen, Doom, Duke Nukem, Quake.... I miss all those games! SOOOOOO Much fun!

No way! We agree! Hrh ;D

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

ExLibrisMortis

Yeah, I'm not just some crusty old hater on the other side of the internet, I tend to have some fun.... every now and then >.>  :o

guest2859

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on May 15, 2011, 06:08:59 PM
Quote from: Nargacuga on May 15, 2011, 04:19:28 PM
Doors were also a challenge for me at first, but it turns out, they're just zero-height sectors.

XWE is a pretty powerful app...best wad editor around IMO...does pretty much everything except map editing (that's what DoomBuilder's for :) )

When it comes to DB 1.6 vs 2.0, I also use 1.6 because when I started, my old PC didn't handle 2.0. Now on my new PC, 2.0 doesn't support all the custom game configs I've made, so I won't update.

The scripting is an ugly thing to learn. Took me a little while to get used to it, even with experience in programming, but once you learn it, you can do some really cool things with it. Some things I've done include implementing drowning, creating a monster attack game, and creating alarms.

I can upload some screenshots/examples of my custom stuff if someone's interested. (Mine are built for Chex Quest, but can be adapted rather easily for Doom/Doom2 :) )

Out of curiosity, what game engine do you use? Legacy? ZDoom?

I use ZDoom. I'm trying to get used the the Doom in Hexen format for it but I don't like crossing everything over. I just use it for the test plays. I think I'll work some more on my level then get some screenshots of it.

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Nargacuga on May 15, 2011, 08:04:00 PM
I use ZDoom. I'm trying to get used the the Doom in Hexen format for it but I don't like crossing everything over. I just use it for the test plays. I think I'll work some more on my level then get some screenshots of it.
Legacy user here, mainly for its grpahics capabilities, which blow the socks off plain ZDoom in OpenGL mode.

As for the Hexen format thing...if you learned on a stock Doom engine, it's frustrating. I tried ZDoom when I first started looking at engines, and deleted it because of the Hexen format...then I discovered Legacy and never looked back.

Niwantaw

Another Zdoomer over here. Mainly because I've never looked for anything else and I was given this set.

Shotguns are fun.
Only mostly AWOL.

bommel

I've got Doom 1 (or 2?) and Duke Nukem 3D on QIC80 tape. I don't even know if I still have a compatible drive xD

guest2859

Quote from: Tawtewng on May 16, 2011, 02:35:00 PM
Another Zdoomer over here. Mainly because I've never looked for anything else and I was given this set.

Shotguns are fun.

I'm a shotgun fan for short, but when it comes to having your face hooved by a Cyberdemon, I'm a Plasma gun fan.

Niwantaw

Quote from: Nargacuga on May 22, 2011, 01:48:09 PM
Quote from: Tawtewng on May 16, 2011, 02:35:00 PM

Shotguns are fun.

I'm a shotgun fan for short, but when it comes to having your face hooved by a Cyberdemon, I'm a Plasma gun fan.
Pop-gun rockets and a shotgun have never done me wrong.
Only mostly AWOL.

guest2859

Well, I actually have the portal gun in it, so it kind of overrides one of the plasma weapons. Plus it helps you get into the room on level 30, so I also like that weapon.