Nintendo 3DS

Started by ShadowMainZERO, December 18, 2010, 06:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowMainZERO

So, is anyone else excited for the epic awesomeness that was revealed at the nerdgasm that was Nintendo's E3? I'm totally going to get ASAP. Preferably, not long after its US release.

More information about the awesomeness.

Come join the adventure in Strange Lands: A Pandoran RP!

The ultimate power is found in the incorruptible light hidden deep in the darkness. You must delve into the darkest part of your heart and find that light. Once you do, never let go of it. Remember: Your heart is the greatest weapon of all.

Sіr. Ηaxalot

I don't believe in it. It's just an upgraded DSi, with "3D" capability that wont work in reality anyway.

ShadowMainZERO

Um... It does work. Quite well, actually. A LOT of people tried it at E3 and it worked perfectly. The technology that they are using to make the 3D effect does indeed work and has been used before. The reason why they don't use it for televisions is because it doesn't work on a large scale. Also, since you obviously didn't read the article, its graphic capabilities are equivalent to the GameCube and XBox (which had more power then a PS2) and the game cards have 1-8 GIGABYTES of memory.

In short: You did not do the freaking research.

The ultimate power is found in the incorruptible light hidden deep in the darkness. You must delve into the darkest part of your heart and find that light. Once you do, never let go of it. Remember: Your heart is the greatest weapon of all.

Niwantaw

A lot of the rumours I have heard aren't good.

From what I have gathered the technology does make some people ill and gives others headaches so it's probably a good idea to try one before you buy one (if you can)

Just my 2p
Only mostly AWOL.

ShadowMainZERO

Well, the same is true for all 3D so... yeah. You can turn the 3D off if you want to anyway.

Niwantaw

I meant more than 3D with glasses.
and without the 3D the point is?
Only mostly AWOL.

ShadowMainZERO

Excellent gameplay and games (have you seen the list?). Not to mention all the other things it can do.

Swoka Ikran

Friend is considering getting one of these...

Quote from: Tawtewng on December 18, 2010, 07:56:25 PM
so it's probably a good idea to try one before you buy one (if you can)
I don't see why you wouldn't be able to try one before buying. I'm sure there will be demo units at the local game store, just like every other game system.
2010 was the year of the Na'vi.Vivar 'ivong Na'vi!

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

ShadowMainZERO

Wow. Not only do I appear to be the only Spiral on this site, judging off of the trend here, I'm the only Nintendo fan on this site. That saddens me to a great degree...

judytuna

I can't wait for the Nintendo 3DS. =) Have you been able to try one yet? I haven't yet, of course.

It will use a parallax barrier to create the 3D effect. This technology has been around for a long time, but isn't useful for TVs because you have to be standing right in front of it. This makes it ideal for something like a handheld device because there's only gonna be 1 person right in front of it anyway.

From the wikipedia page for the 3DS...
QuoteIt has two screens; the top screen is a 3.53 in (90 mm) 5:3 3D screen with a resolution of 800×240 pixels (400×240 pixels per eye, WQVGA) that is able to produce an autostereoscopic three-dimensional effect (one without 3D glasses), while the bottom screen is a 3.02 in (77 mm) 4:3 non-3D touch panel with a resolution of 320×240 pixels (QVGA).
Basically there are very fine barriers over the screen that shoot one column of pixels to one eye, and the next column of pixels to the other eye, and so forth. There is a slider on the side of the 3DS to adjust how far apart the barriers shoot the columns of pixels.

The only other 3D display I've tried for any length of time is iz3d, which has a fancy monitor that is actually two monitors right in front of each other, and you have to wear glasses so that one monitor is seen by the left eye and the other monitor is only seen by . You have to do a LOT of adjustment with the software (+ and - the depth/etc) to get the 3D effect to pop. And I got headaches playing WoW, but arcane explosion was like the prettiest thing ever.

Hopefully the parallax barrier is more straightforward to adjust (there is only one thing to adjust, and it's a physical slider) so it should be customer-friendly.

Anyway don't worry ShadowMainZERO, I'm a nintendo fan. =) I think I always will be no matter what. My family only had nintendo consoles until the xbox360/ps3 =( haha. They do weird things sometimes (TWO cameras???! though I suppose the iStuff has this too with facetime) but in terms of adorableness and innovation, they can't be beat.

Do you read the Iwata Asks interviews? There are some awesome ones. My most recent favorite was the one about scoring + recording the music for galaxy 2. There's even a video clip of the 60-piece orchestra playing the music, at the bottom of this page: http://us.wii.com/iwata_asks/supermariogalaxy2/vol3_page1.jsp

=D   /pompoms for nintendo

ShadowMainZERO

Yay! I'm not alone! I haven't gotten to try it out either but, if I'm lucky, I'll be able to get one near launch (sometime in March for the US). Did you read the TV Tropes article I posted? Graphics that are on the GameCube/Xbox level if not on the Wii's level and 1-8 gigabyte storage space on the cartridges. That combined with the fact that the price tag isn't too out there (given all it can do), the 3DS looks like it's set up to print money... IN 3D!

I am so looking forward to loading up Star Fox 64 3D, switching to first person, and turning off the aiming rectacels. That's going to be so badass.