101 Reasons to Learn Na'vi!

Started by Rikxyu, April 06, 2010, 11:27:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rikxyu

After noticing that not everyone "sees" learning Na'vi as a useful hobby, I thought it would be nice to have a list of reasons why learning Na'vi is not only fun, but useful and constructive as well. Hopefully, we will end up with a ton of answers for those who do not see (yet) ;D. So without further ado, I shall commence the list with...

1. Learning Na'vi forces you to learn some linguistic terminology (dative case, transitive verb, etc.) which can be useful in other linguistic endeavors.

PS: I wasn't really sure where this should go, so I apologize if this is the wrong board or if the topic would be better suited to another board.
The All Things Avatar Podcast has an episode 3 now! Download it here: http://radioavatar.podomatic.com/

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." ~Abraham Lincoln
Just look at what happened to Quaritch...

DJ Makto

Agreed learning Na'vi also definitely teaches you all those linguistic elements which can be applied to learning other languages.

Here some more reasons:

2. Its fun!
3. You can use it as a low level code/encryption of sorts if you don't want people reading what you wrote.

I'm sure I will think of more..
;D

Tsa'räni

4. According to the multiverse (Level 1) concept, Neytiri actually exists out there somewhere.  On the off chance that you fall through a some kind of spatial distortion, survive, and actually meet her, knowing Na'vi might improve your chances with her.

Tsamsiyu92

5. Insulting Na'vi sentences in other forums' sigs FTW!

Txantslusam Skxawng

6. Talking to your frieds in Na'vi when you want to show-off or just want to annoy them! :P

Everyone! Better come up with a reasons fast! Or else you are going to have to read some pages! :P
WirelessTsaheylu=Bluetooth
Inventor of the word NARF

Niwantaw

7. you can run round in public insulting everybody without getting into trouble :D
Only mostly AWOL.

Nanaki

8. Your friends think that you are insane and they're right :D But it's cool!
'Itan Atxur : Just remember, NO idea is too crazy <3

Then everything changed ... I fell in love. I fell in love with the - with the forest, with the Omaticaya people... with you...
Don't thank! You don't thank for this! This is sad... VERY sad only!

Prrwll Nari

Why do so many people want to use Na'vi to annoy their friends? Isn't that, I dunno, rude? :/

9. To exercise the language acquisition portion of your brain
10. To exercise your brain in general
11. To make things you see everyday seem a little different when you're trying to relearn their names
12. It gives you a sense of strong community bonding with others who are learning it
13. If you see someone with a shirt that says Kaltxì, you already have common ground, and may make a new friend
14. It brings the movie Avatar to life
15. It's good exercise for your mouth, trying to pronounce new sounds that aren't in English (seriously, you'll build muscles there!)
16. It gives you something to do with your freetime, or on a rainy day, that's constructive and harmless
17. It's my anti-drug (kidding, ha ha)
18. px, kx, and tx sound really cool when you say them  ;D
19. It gives you something to talk about with other linguists
20. Na'vi may be good material for a final project in a class about language, linguistics, or anthropology (I think)

Eana Tanhì

I only have three:
21. To have another hobby
22. so you can talk with the others in the Real life na'vi tribe
23. to feel like a real Na'vi

Dreams die first because people give them up so easily...

Txantslusam Skxawng

I only annoy them because they think its sh*t!

24. Learning a language that has a good additude, no violence at all
WirelessTsaheylu=Bluetooth
Inventor of the word NARF

Ftiafpi

25. To potentially inspire one with a lifelong love of languages and linguistics.
26. To understand the Na'vi fluently in time for Avatar 2 and 3.
27. To solidify your position as ultimate nerd amongst your friends.
28. To be able to bridge linguistic barriers and chat with people from other cultures.

Niwantaw

29. to be able to talk to people without anyone else knowing
30. to disturb your brother
Only mostly AWOL.

Meuia te Stxeli Tstew'itan

31. To not have to read subtitles
Fìtsenge kifkey nìswey livu txo ayoe nìNa'vi perlltxeie. Ngal 'awstengyem olo'it fpi tskxekeng.

Rikxyu

32. To show off to the few people who think Na'vi cool, but not cool enough to try to learn.
The All Things Avatar Podcast has an episode 3 now! Download it here: http://radioavatar.podomatic.com/

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." ~Abraham Lincoln
Just look at what happened to Quaritch...

Kätsyín te Zotxekay Tsyal’itan

33. To say something to your friend that speaks Klingon and have him look at you in wonderment and then disappointment when you tell him the Na'vi will outpace Klingon within 2 years.
old gallery link?id=1831[/img]

LearnNavi Forums:
"It's not an addiction...I just need it everyday."

Atanä mungeyu

34. to make people go like WTF? all the time..it's fun xD
35. to make cute cat names( i still need 1)
36. to meet a whole bunch of awesome people who are awesome..2x..
I haz teh DVD yaaaayy xD

nederlandse pocket guide door mij en txura tirea.

Rain

37. To have private conversations with your sister
38. To write journal entries that nobody will be able to decode and therfore all your secrets are safe
39. For the sheer hell of it.
"If there are self-made purgatories, then we shall all have to live in them."
-Spock, "This Side of Paradise"

"The greatest danger about Pandora is that you may come to love it too much." ~Grace Augustine

Atanä mungeyu

Quote from: rain39. for the sheer hell of it.
eeuuhm...hell..?..i..kinda think..it's..fun.. or something...
I haz teh DVD yaaaayy xD

nederlandse pocket guide door mij en txura tirea.

Tsamsiyu92

40. You wouln't find a kinder community with more interesting people anywhere else:)

Tsamsiyu92

Quote from: Atanä mungeyu on April 13, 2010, 01:29:56 PM
Quote from: rain39. for the sheer hell of it.
eeuuhm...hell..?..i..kinda think..it's..fun.. or something...

The english idiomatic expression "for the <adjective> heck/hell of it" means that you have no real reasson, you just want to.