Anybody else disappointed by the exhibition, in Seattle?

Started by Zhowìntll, August 21, 2011, 11:43:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zhowìntll

To be honest, I thought it was rather meh.

Maybe it's cuz I'm a filmmaker, I dunno. But I already knew everything. I didn't learn one thing. Everything I walked by, I was like, yeah, I know that. Yep, I know that one, too. And that.

The only thing I thought was cool was being able to see some props. Otherwise, kinda a waste of my money.

'Oma Tirea

Ma 'eylan, oel ngati tslam, ulte oel ngati kameie.  Believe it or not, I kinda felt that way, too.

However, I will say that other events where we were mostly hanging out with each other as friends is the important part of the trip.  That's one big reason I came all the way out there :)

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Txonä Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì

Yeah, it was quite small. Tho I think the fact that you're also a filmmaker had something to do with it. I didn't know anything about the tech stuff they used in Avatar, so I was quite amazed by it. But yeah, it was definitely smaller than I expected. They didn't even have Neytiri's bow as promised. But as 'Oma Tirea said, hanging out with everyone (outside the computer) was what made it memorable :) In June and July. I just wish the our group had time to do a clan viewing of Avatar. That would have completed everything.

-Txonä Rolyu

AvatarMeet was fantastic. Thanks to all who attended :D

Na'vi Kintrrä #70° :D

Keyeyluke ke tsun livu kea tìnusume

Oeri Uniltìrantokxìl txe'lanit nì'aw takeiuk nì'ul txa' fralo

Fpìl na Na'vi. Plltxe na Na'vi. Tìran na Na'vi. Kame na Na'vi

Zhowìntll

Oel gnati kameie!

They had Neytiri's bow, when I was there (a couple weeks ago). Pretty cool. I enjoyed the props.

I think my experience was a combination of being a major fan of the movie, in addition to being a filmmaker. The behind-the-scenes aspects of the production, I've read TONS of stuff about how the movie was made.

I'm glad you two enjoyed the meetup. I'm looking forward to joining next years. Txonä Rolyu, I think you're right-on -- there should be a group screening of the movie. In fact, I'll do my best to make it my mission to make that happen, next year. :)

Quote from: Zhowìntll on August 22, 2011, 02:46:11 AM
They had Neytiri's bow, when I was there (a couple weeks ago). Pretty cool. I enjoyed the props.

:o :o :o :o THEY HAD IT?!?!

Where? I only saw a silhouette of it with one of her arrows. I was there multiple times at both meet ups and I went back last Thursday. I never saw it.

-Txonä Rolyu

Zhowìntll

Oh, yeah. You're right, sorry I forgot. Yes, it was the arrow only.  :-[

Ekirä

I wasn't expecting anything larger so it didn't disappoint me, but I'll agree it was a bit small. And I mainly wanted to see it for the props, as I knew it was unlikely I'd learn anything after having read so much about the movie. ::) Also, my main reason for going to Seattle was to meet up with everyone, not to see the exhibition.

Overall I thought it was well put together. They didn't advertise it was going to be large, and it was certainly a lot smaller than the one other movie prop exhibit I've been to, but there were several interactive things which were pretty cool. I'm guessing if they do another exhibit after the next two movies come out, it'll be a LOT larger. ;D

Oh yes, the interactive stuff was AWESOME! I especially liked the one where you could act out a scene from the movie. ZOMFG! At this Youtube link you can see my video as well as others :) Mine's kinda boring lol. I wish I can gotten the one I made in June. I tried to make one in July but the thing went down JUST as it was my turn. #fail. Glad I got to go back last Thursday. Oh...gift shop update: still nothing new.

-Txonä Rolyu

Lolet

I was hoping to go just to see the way the exhibit was put together. And maybe score something from the gift shop.  :D Unless everything was way overpriced.

I went to see the Dead Sea Scrolls (once with my school and once with my family) when the exhibit was in town, and it was like $45 for a fake scroll.   ::)

Txura Rolyu

I was unable to do the acting part. I was covered in blue and it didnt register I was a human.  :P

Although when I went I was all painted up I got a lot of attention from the people around the exhibit. I was happy for it because of the fact I was almost a part of the attraction.
Quote from: Ekirä on March 30, 2011, 04:45:34 PMNeytiri: Now you choose your woman. This you must feel inside. If she also chooses you, move quick like I showed.
Jake: How will I know if she chooses me?
Neytiri: She will try to kill you.
Jake: Outstanding. *takes out an ikran-catcher and walks through hometree looking for women*

DJ Makto

I quite liked the exhibition and the presentation of all the props and interactive exhibits. Though the last "movie prop" exhibition was back in 1996 for the Star Wars exhibition at the Smithsonian in Washington D.C..

Human No More

I haven't heard any new information from it, but I  think the best part would be seeing everything there myself, and meeting the people from LN and the other forums :)
At least, I hope so, going next year... :)
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

archaic

In their defense, we are probably some of the most avid fans. This site has many great Avatar related things here and links to so many more else where on the net. If a norm wanted to find anything Avatar related, they could do far worse than come here. The exhibition was going to need to be something truly above and beyond to genuinely impress this community. But Neytiri's bow would have been a good start. [/Devils Advocate]
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Txura Rolyu

Yeah we are some of the most learned people to go through the exhibit I am sure. It was nice to be able to try out the cameras and see the AMP suit. I with I could have had one of the "potted Pandoran plants" in the link pod. There were four of them and they were so pretty. (sigh) I can only wish for them really.  :(
Quote from: Ekirä on March 30, 2011, 04:45:34 PMNeytiri: Now you choose your woman. This you must feel inside. If she also chooses you, move quick like I showed.
Jake: How will I know if she chooses me?
Neytiri: She will try to kill you.
Jake: Outstanding. *takes out an ikran-catcher and walks through hometree looking for women*

AketuanNavi

Quote from: Txura Rolyu on September 01, 2011, 06:35:40 PM
Yeah we are some of the most learned people to go through the exhibit I am sure. It was nice to be able to try out the cameras and see the AMP suit. I with I could have had one of the "potted Pandoran plants" in the link pod. There were four of them and they were so pretty. (sigh) I can only wish for them really.  :(

I completely agree, I think those plants were my favorite thing there. :)
* AketuanNavi wants one

anyway I thought the exhibit was good. Not great, not bad, simply good. I liked the various "model" aircraft and guns.

Although I think the best part of visiting the exhibit was doing it with 20 friends from LN and ToS...  :)

Quote from: AketuanNavi on September 02, 2011, 09:56:49 PM
Although I think the best part of visiting the exhibit was doing it with 20 friends from LN and ToS...  :)

THIS! Definitely.

-Txonä Rolyu