Anyone interested in translating my comic?

Started by DrowElfMorwen, December 23, 2015, 03:08:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrowElfMorwen

Hello / Kaltxi ma tsumuke, ma tsumukan,

After about a year of planning and preparation I am finally ready to get my comic really underway. It is going to be mainly from the point of view of some Na'vi, and I was curious if anyone would be interested in translating all the dialogue of the Na'vi into their language? With credit, of course. I plan on publishing this on deviantArt.  :D

Eana Unil

I really enjoy your 3DNa'vi artwork and I'm very happy to hear that you're planning to make a comic as well!!! I'll definitely become a fan ;D

I'd also love to help you translate it, since my skill in Na'vi isn't the worst, but not the best, either. ^^' But I'm sure other ppl could be interested in helping you out, too.

Also, I'd love to suggest to you to link our comics? Like I link yours on my webcomic site and you link mine on your deviantArt. Imho we Avatar fan art artists should support each other hrh ;D Let me know whether you'd be into that or not, rutxe :)

DrowElfMorwen

Hello!

Yea that would be great! Actually I decided not to post my comic on deviantArt but to actually use a comic site--but I will be linking it on my dA for sure!

Now I am just trying to come up with a name for the comic LOL.  :)

I only saw a few pages of yours, did you stop continuing?

Eana Unil

Do you want the name to be nìNa'vi or English? Or you already named it Uniltìranyu? If not, and if you need a name leNa'vi, some english words could be of use, to translate them at least.
It already looks amazing! :D I'm still in love with your albino Na'vi hrh ;D

If you want me to, I can try translate the pages you already posted. But I guess writing via eMail (eanaunil [at] gmail.com) or messenger (Skype ID: sickdelusion) would be better, kefyak?

Cool that you have a site for your comic now, I'll link it on mine :)

My comic still goes on, it just takes me forever to create new pages, due to my very time and energy consuming work.  :( Creating a page takes quite some time, since I draw everything from scratch, and the details burn up hours like nothing. T_T
But I just uploaded a new page 2 days ago and a new page is already in the making, since I have some spare time until January.  :)

Blue Elf

Raising my hand :) If you need to translate something, let me know - I'd like to try. If you post text here, more people will be able to help (but, of course, you may want to keep it hidden until final release)
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Eana Unil

Tse, tsat ralpoleng oel. I don't know whether it's correct or not (I absolutely think that there are many errors and slips/"careless" mistakes here and there), anyone please feel free to correct or post your own translations, rutxe :)

Hahaw[hhvhhvcz]

There are some people who definitely would like to help you with translation including me. :)

I will look at it when i have some time during Christmas time. ;)

PS: Eana Unil ninje'd my post.
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)
  • Worth: $1551 ($396 with sales) (updated 17.3.16)
  • Games owned: 97
  • Games not played: 34 (35%)
  • Hours on record: 1,825.3h

DrowElfMorwen

Wow Eana that is amazing!  :o
I'm going to have to see how I'm going to go about posting the Na'vi version. I might just follow it up in the normal comic, posting each chapter twice, one in English one in Na'vi. Irayo!!!  :D

Blue Elf

So, here's my version too (not complete, two part are still missing). Too late here, I post remaining parts later

DrowElfMorwen

I really don't know anything, so I'm not sure which version to use?

Anyway, I went ahead and fixed some mistakes someone on dA pointed out to me: that Iknimaya is not the name of the rite of passage, but the place (oops! What a novice mistake :P) And also saying "Mengati kameie" for when greeting/seeing two or more Na'vi. They also mentioned "Eywa ayngahu" for two or more? But in this case the chief is only talking to Tentskatawa. So I think I will leave that as Eywa ngahu.

Blue Elf

Quote from: DrowElfMorwen on December 25, 2015, 08:18:01 PM
I really don't know anything, so I'm not sure which version to use?
Well - common problem for newcomers :) Usually there is more ways to say something, so it's hard to choose.
Anyway, I went ahead and fixed some mistakes someone on dA pointed out to me: that Iknimaya is not the name of the rite of passage, but the place (oops! What a novice mistake :P) And also saying "Mengati kameie" for when greeting/seeing two or more Na'vi. They also mentioned "Eywa ayngahu" for two or more? But in this case the chief is only talking to Tentskatawa. So I think I will leave that as Eywa ngahu.
Mengati kameie = I see you two. Me- is dual prefix (marking two persons/things etc).
Eywa ngahu - Eywa be with you (SINGLE person)
Eywa mengahu - Eywa be with you two (TWO persons)
Eywa ayngahu - Eywa be with you  (FOUR or more persons). Ay- is plural prefix to mark four persons/things etc.

To be complete, there is also trial to mark three persons/things, prefix is pxe-. So if there's more than one object, you must choose whether they are two, three or four and more.

As for main character name - do I understand well, that Tentskatawa is the complete name, while Tentska is it's shortened form, like Richard / Richie ?

Eana Unil

Mllte oe Blue Elfhu :)

I didn't change the 2 separate greetings (Oel ngati kameie, ma A. Oel ngati kameie, ma B), because it, imho, enhances the intention to show your respect to both of them. If that wasn't your intention, though, "oel mengati kameie" would suffice just fine, like Blue Elf and that other person on dA explained already :)

Blue Elf

And here's my translation of remaining part of comics I haven't finished yesterday:
I've looked quickly to Eana's Unil translation - she used/created some unofficial words, what I tried to avoid. Also some constructions appear to me as too literal. But IMHO native Na'vi could understand both of our translation, after some thinking.... probably..... I think :)

DrowElfMorwen

Thank you both for the assistance.
Unfortunately I haven't been able to sit down yet and put up the Na'vi version. But I did manage to finish chapter 3!!

http://uniltiranyu.thecomicseries.com/

Blue Elf

Quote from: DrowElfMorwen on January 18, 2016, 05:29:11 PM
Thank you both for the assistance.
Unfortunately I haven't been able to sit down yet and put up the Na'vi version. But I did manage to finish chapter 3!!

http://uniltiranyu.thecomicseries.com/
I noticed, although haven't seen it in deep yet. You work well and quickly :)